Prey drive

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Does your dog chase and kill rabbits?

How do you feel about that? Natural instinct and don't particularly like it but accept it as part of a dogs make up or do things to stop it like muzzle them?
farmer giles

Prey drive

Post by farmer giles »

my collie goes after squirrels,i am always willing them to get away up that tree.its just his instincts he is not evil lol:)
abbey

Prey drive

Post by abbey »

I had this conversation with My Sister last week.

Her dog chased a bird into a thicket and killed it, I told her she should muzzle it in future, it just did'nt seem right to me.

She took the stance that it was the nature of the beast and it was fair game!

I think not, the dog was'nt hungry and it worries me that if she can chase & kill a bird then she could just as easily do the same to a cat.
farmer giles

Prey drive

Post by farmer giles »

abbey;1215219 wrote: I had this conversation with My Sister last week.

Her dog chased a bird into a thicket and killed it, I told her she should muzzle it in future, it just did'nt seem right to me.

I think not, the dog was'nt hungry and it worries me that if she can chase & kill a bird then she could just as easily do the same to a cat.

i hate dogs that kill thickets:)
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

I agree its instincts Jim. Mine are muzzled but its more for the fact i have three dogs and therefore a pack. If we were to meet another dog on our outings and one decided to dislike that dog the other two would join in which is unacceptable. The rabbit hunt they just love and i would not deprive them of it.

Yet to see a squirrel around these parts but we seen a fox tonight, dogs were too busy chasing rabbits to notice it.
Betty Boop

Prey drive

Post by Betty Boop »

We had a confused Springer years ago, he chased and caught a rabbit but he didn't hurt it in anyway. Somehow he got the bunny in the door and up over the stairs without us noticing.

Two days later after witnessing the nutty springer pacing the stairs and 'guarding' the childrens bedroom I discovered a baby bunny in the carry cot! :wah:

The older springer was good at catching rabbits and any he killed would be skinned and fed to him.
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Yes mine would chase and kill a cat, chicken, anything small really if i allowed it.
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Betty Boop;1215222 wrote: We had a confused Springer years ago, he chased and caught a rabbit but he didn't hurt it in anyway. Somehow he got the bunny in the door and up over the stairs without us noticing.

Two days later after witnessing the nutty springer pacing the stairs and 'guarding' the childrens bedroom I discovered a baby bunny in the carry cot! :wah:

The older springer was good at catching rabbits and any he killed would be skinned and fed to him.

My last dog was like this, she would chase and catch but not actually do anything with it. The three i have now would rip it limb from limb.
el guapo

Prey drive

Post by el guapo »

video of dog attacking child dont watch if easly offended

YouTube - Wii Failure
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
abbey

Prey drive

Post by abbey »

You are naughty! :wah:
el guapo

Prey drive

Post by el guapo »

abbey;1215228 wrote: You are naughty! :wah:

did ya hear the poor child scream and his parants just carried on filming
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

This dog does not have a high prey drive, it has other issues. The only thing i find offensive about it is why on earth would any parent video this?

Further to that whatever person owns this dog should not :mad: Obviously they know nothing of dog behaviour or training.
farmer giles

Prey drive

Post by farmer giles »

buttercup;1215231 wrote: This dog does not have a high prey drive, it has other issues. The only thing i find offensive about it is why on earth would any parent video this?

Further to that whatever person owns this dog should not :mad: Obviously they know nothing of dog behaviour or training.

a shaggy dog story :thinking:
farmer giles

Prey drive

Post by farmer giles »

sorry to take it off topic but would you not put down the camera and pull the dog off in like a nano second :thinking:
nvalleyvee

Prey drive

Post by nvalleyvee »

All 3 of my dogs have the carnivore drive. The eldest kills birds - she is especially fond of chickens and pidgeons. The middle one goes after squirrels and lizards. The youngest just barks after the older two dogs because he is SURE he is missing out on something cooler than bugs.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
el guapo

Prey drive

Post by el guapo »

farmer giles;1215235 wrote: sorry to take it off topic but would you not put down the camera and pull the dog off in like a nano second :thinking:

sick bastards
farmer giles

Prey drive

Post by farmer giles »

el guapo;1215230 wrote: did ya hear the poor child scream and his parants just carried on filming

farmer giles;1215235 wrote: sorry to take it off topic but would you not put down the camera and pull the dog off in like a nano second :thinking:

el guapo;1215238 wrote: sick bastards

i just realised what i said ...:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

well spotted jes ...lucky for me mutley ,pinky and immy are not her i'd of gotten slaughtered for that blunder :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Rapunzel

Prey drive

Post by Rapunzel »

Her dog chased a bird into a thicket and killed it, I told her she should muzzle it in future, it just didn't seem right to me.

buttercup;1215221 wrote: I agree its instincts Jim. Mine are muzzled but its more for the fact i have three dogs and therefore a pack. If we were to meet another dog on our outings and one decided to dislike that dog the other two would join in which is unacceptable. The rabbit hunt they just love and i would not deprive them of it.

Yet to see a squirrel around these parts but we seen a fox tonight, dogs were too busy chasing rabbits to notice it.

buttercup;1215225 wrote: My last dog was like this, she would chase and catch but not actually do anything with it. The three i have now would rip it limb from limb.

I agree with Abbey. It might be the nature of the beast and instinctive, but this beast has now been domesticated. It doesn't need to eat the bun for food therefore you are allowing your dogs to torture and terrorise defenceless animals all in the name of fun.

I'm sorry but I think this is unspeakable cruelty.

You would have sharp words to say if some other dogs terrorised your dog and started ripping it to shreds yet you allow your dogs to do this. It's like hunt dogs ripping foxes apart for pleasure. Unspeakably and unnecessarily cruel and barbaric.

As el guapo said, if your dogs would rip a small animal limb from limb then one day it will be a small child.

It is gross and disgusting and you should stop now before the unspeakable does happen! And you cannot say it never will.
Victoria

Prey drive

Post by Victoria »

I have 3 dogs , a Border collie his instinct is to drive and round up anything tennis balls small dogs anything, his prey drive is not high.

My Beagle has a high prey drive . He is bred to track and hunt down small prey I know this, I know that Beagle recall is terrible thus he is hardly ever off lead. I have an 8mtr extending lead so he can snuffle but not take off in chase which I know he would do given the chance.

My youngest is a Boeren fox now these are farm dogs bred specifically to kill vermin If he sees a cat he pulls like train. He does go off lead when we go to the common, Ive never seen a cat there.

I avoid the areas I know are well stocked with rabbits and stick to the wooded area and the lake.

I know that prey drive is normal in a dog and differs according to breed unless the dog is a working dog I see no benefit in encouraging this behaviour 'for real' ie while chasing a ball/toy is prey behaviour/play chasing rabbits is real.

A non working dog will quickly find itself in trouble if it exhibits real prey drive behaviour and lets face it the ultimate loser should an incident happen will be the dog he/she will get PTS without pardon.
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Rapunzel;1215263 wrote: I agree with Abbey. It might be the nature of the beast and instinctive, but this beast has now been domesticated. It doesn't need to eat the bun for food therefore you are allowing your dogs to torture and terrorise defenceless animals all in the name of fun.

I'm sorry but I think this is unspeakable cruelty.

You would have sharp words to say if some other dogs terrorised your dog and started ripping it to shreds yet you allow your dogs to do this. It's like hunt dogs ripping foxes apart for pleasure. Unspeakably and unnecessarily cruel and barbaric.

As el guapo said, if your dogs would rip a small animal limb from limb then one day it will be a small child.

It is gross and disgusting and you should stop now before the unspeakable does happen! And you cannot say it never will.

If you read my post :rolleyes:

You will see my dogs are muzzled whilst chasing rabbits. Just because they want to kill rabbits does not mean they want to kill children. Any responsible dog owner supervises their dog around children be that 1 dog or several, personally my dogs are all in the run if children are here so i would appreciate before having a go at me you had the decency to ask about that before assuming what i would or would not do in the event of a child being here.
Bill Sikes

Prey drive

Post by Bill Sikes »

Rapunzel;1215263 wrote: (dogs killing rabbits)It is gross and disgusting and you should stop now before the unspeakable does happen! And you cannot say it never will.

Most dogs that chase rabbits won't kill people - whether they're allowed to kill rabbits or not is up to theit owner (and legalities).

If you want to see animals being killed cruelly by other animals, look at cats killing things.
Oscar Namechange

Prey drive

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have 3 Terriers who are the worst for hunting.

I do not allow them to kill anything for several reasons.

Puppy is a tiny Jack Russell who has a strong urge to bolt down any hole she can find. Many dogs have become trapped underground and lost so i stop her from doing it.

All three dogs together go into 'Pack mode'. Mulder has a natural agressiveness towards other male dogs and if there is a problem while out, the other two will dive in to help him and become a pack. If they get used to killing rabbits, Mulder can not distinguish between them and another minature sized dog such as a Yorkshire Terrier. He thinks they are all rats.

We walk our dogs up the river banks where there is a selection of wildlife but if we come across cattle and sheep, they are put on the leads immediately. In public area's i do muzzle Mulder for safety as he is the only one that will be likely to set about something else. Once he starts, the other two will join in.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Prey drive

Post by Rapunzel »

buttercup;1215322 wrote: If you read my post :rolleyes:

You will see my dogs are muzzled whilst chasing rabbits. Just because they want to kill rabbits does not mean they want to kill children. Any responsible dog owner supervises their dog around children be that 1 dog or several, personally my dogs are all in the run if children are here so i would appreciate before having a go at me you had the decency to ask about that before assuming what i would or would not do in the event of a child being here.

You did indeed say your dogs were muzzled but you also said that you allowed them to chase rabbits, so I assumed you demuzzled them for this. Your post wasn't clear on that point imo.

I didn't assume the child would be with you. Of course you would take care then. I was thinking about small children playing in the woods and enjoying a nature ramble with their parents when your dogs happened to be darting by chasing small critters and saw the small child as a small critter to be chased.

I have always been friends with you buttercup and don't want to argue with you or 'have a go at you'. However I couldn't stand by silently whilst you praised your dogs for having fun whilst terrorising rabbits.

Rabbits are naturally prey animals. All wild animals will attack them for food. That's why they breed so much. Did you know that the average lifespan of a wild rabbit is just 4 years. In captivity they can easily live for 12 years. A wild rabbit doesn't know that your dogs are muzzled and 'just playing'. They will be terrified and running for their lives, expecting to have sharp fangs tearing them apart at any second. A rabbit in a garden hutch can die from a heart-attack just because it becomes SO scared if it even smells a dog or a fox in the garden. So being chased and in fear of its life it will probably dive into the nearest rabbithole and expire from absolute terror whilst you and your dogs think this is a good game. I'm sorry, I don't think this is good fun or a good game. I still think it is barbaric cruelty. You are allowing your dogs to do this. They don't need to chase rabbits, they are well fed and domesticated. If you allowed them to chase the ducks in a public park you would be heavily fined. But there is no penalty for this cruelty to rabbits.

buttercup;1215322 wrote: Any responsible dog owner supervises their dog

I agree. Any responsible dog owner WOULD supervise their dogs!
Rapunzel

Prey drive

Post by Rapunzel »

Bill Sikes;1215339 wrote: Most dogs that chase rabbits won't kill people - whether they're allowed to kill rabbits or not is up to theit owner (and legalities).

If you want to see animals being killed cruelly by other animals, look at cats killing things.

This is different. Cats may be domestic animals but they are not on leads and they are not domesticated. It is in their nature to terrorise and kill, just like dogs, but until there is a law insisting they be put on leads then this will continue.

A stray cat can terrorise and kill a bird or mouse, a stray dog can attack humans. That is why stray cats are allowed but stray dogs are impounded.
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Have you got a pet rabbit then? :sneaky:

Raps, don't be daft i'm not falling out with you and perhaps we will have to agree to disagree on this one but i can tell you right now that i do not de-muzzle them to chase rabbits, they are muzzled the entire time they are off lead so apart from scratch could not harm anything to any serious degree.

This does not mean that i agree or disagree with the hunt of rabbits, i have a pack of dogs which is not the same as having one dog, the dynamics change.

Its instinct for them and i accept that just as i would if i had a cat that came home with its kill half dead being tossed in the air. I don't like it but its instinct so have no choice but to accept it. In a pack situation they WILL hunt.

I never at any point said 'I' thought this was a good game, the dogs do - yes.

I don't have any big problem with it as its the rules of nature.
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Rapunzel;1215543 wrote: This is different. Cats may be domestic animals but they are not on leads and they are not domesticated. It is in their nature to terrorise and kill, just like dogs, but until there is a law insisting they be put on leads then this will continue.

A stray cat can terrorise and kill a bird or mouse, a stray dog can attack humans. That is why stray cats are allowed but stray dogs are impounded.

Do you feel dogs should never be allowed off lead?
Oscar Namechange

Prey drive

buttercup;1215593 wrote: Have you got a pet rabbit then? :sneaky:

Raps, don't be daft i'm not falling out with you and perhaps we will have to agree to disagree on this one but i can tell you right now that i do not de-muzzle them to chase rabbits, they are muzzled the entire time they are off lead so apart from scratch could not harm anything to any serious degree.

This does not mean that i agree or disagree with the hunt of rabbits, i have a pack of dogs which is not the same as having one dog, the dynamics change.

Its instinct for them and i accept that just as i would if i had a cat that came home with its kill half dead being tossed in the air. I don't like it but its instinct so have no choice but to accept it. In a pack situation they WILL hunt.

I never at any point said 'I' thought this was a good game, the dogs do - yes.

I don't have any big problem with it as its the rules of nature.
Yes, i can totally agree. As you know BC, i have 3 Terriers and we have talked about 'pack mode' before. It is natural to them. I used to have 4 Terriers and it was actually worse before the 4th had to be homed due to fighting with Mulder. The dynamics certainly do change with a pack. My theory from my life with dogs is that a single dog is more dependent on their owner. A pack get muc from each other that a single dog doesn't and sometimes, i swear they even have the same thought going on at the same time.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Hi Oscar

I don't know about dependant as such with one, i think its more 'not influenced' by other dogs as they are not there and therefore the single dog more biddable, if you get my drift.

If anyone takes a dog into their home i would expect them to have done their homework on the breed they are taking on so as not to be surprised in the actions the dog shows later on. You have terriers, instinct makes them NEED to kill rats ect, over many, possibly hundreds of generations they have been bred to do so, its their job so to expect them not too is well... ridiculous.

I do understand that rabbit and rat lovers will be horrified by this but its natures way.

Each breed has its traits, you'd expect a retriever to retrieve right?
Oscar Namechange

Prey drive

buttercup;1215607 wrote: Hi Oscar

I don't know about dependant as such with one, i think its more 'not influenced' by other dogs as they are not there and therefore the single dog more biddable, if you get my drift.

If anyone takes a dog into their home i would expect them to have done their homework on the breed they are taking on so as not to be surprised in the actions the dog shows later on. You have terriers, instinct makes them NEED to kill rats ect, over many, possibly hundreds of generations they have been bred to do so, its their job so to expect them not too is well... ridiculous.

I do understand that rabbit and rat lovers will be horrified by this but its natures way.

Each breed has its traits, you'd expect a retriever to retrieve right? I get your drift and yes that makes more sense actually, that one dog is more biddable.

You know as well as i do that with a pack, while out, one decides to do something and before you have time to think, the others have reacted in the same way. Mulder is actually a Pedigree Parson terrier that is an offshoot of the Jack Russell that was bred by the Parson Mr John Russell for hunting. They originate from a mixture of fox terrier and other hunting dogs for ratting. The Kennel club finally recognised the breed as Pedigree. We did a huge amount of research before getting Mulder and the description in this link is what attracted us.

The Parson Russell Terrier

But as you rightly said, the they are bred to hunt small rodents and they NEED to do it. It's nothing to do with being an owner unable to control them while out. It is sheer instinct on their part.

If we are out in the country and they do catch a rabbit and kill it, there is nothing i can do about it. I certainly would not dream of chastising them for doing some-thing they take as instinct. The kill is very quick. I don't know if you've seen a terrier get a rabbit but it's always by the throat and one shake and it's dead. Also if you observe a terrier playing with toys, they always shake their toys in their mouths.
buttercup

Prey drive

Post by buttercup »

Yes i have, its very quick. What Rap, who i love dearly does not realise (as she is not a dog person) is its nature. Nurture can help with one dog but not in a pack situation.

The bunny and rat frat wont like what i'm about to say but depending on what side of the fence you sit - rabbits and rats are vermin.
Oscar Namechange

Prey drive

buttercup;1215616 wrote: Yes i have, its very quick. What Rap, who i love dearly does not realise (as she is not a dog person) is its nature. Nurture can help with one dog but not in a pack situation.

The bunny and rat frat wont like what i'm about to say but depending on what side of the fence you sit - rabbits and rats are vermin. I don't like seeing any animal killed and i abhore fox hunting but i have to accept that to some, foxes are vermin. The difference here is we are talking about one animal that see's another animal as it's quarrey. That is not to say that i allow my dogs to go rampaging around the countryside. I keep leads on near cattle and sheep and if smaller dogs are about, i muzzle Mulder as he can not distinguish between a toy breed and a rodent.

It's usually Mulder that will lead the pack and the other two will follow suit. Puppy is still very young and she just follows anything Mulder does as the norm now.

Return to “Pets Animals”