Living in Canada

A forum to discuss local issues in Canada.
buttercup

Living in Canada

Post by buttercup »

Given the choice of living and working in Calgary, Vancouver or Alberta.

Which one would you choose and why?

My husband rang me this morning to say these three cities are looking to recruit workers from Scotland (sponsorship and contract) so we thought we'd look into it. :-6
buttercup

Living in Canada

Post by buttercup »

First bit of good news is no quarantine for the dogs provided they have all jabs and clear from the vet, this is great, when we looked at New Zealand it would be a six month quarantine. I could not bear to leave my dogs in a kennel for 6 months. Maybe someone could advise me if this is up to date information or if there are any changes pending.

Pet cats and dogs can be imported into Canada for any period of time without quarantine from any country; however, there are different requirements for cats entering from either rabies-free countries or from those countries that Canada does not consider to be free of rabies.

Pet cats and dogs must be accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate, which is issued by a licensed veterinarian(2), in either English or French and which clearly identifies the cats or dogs and states that they are currently vaccinated against rabies. This certificate should identify the animal as in breed, colour, weight, etc., and indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), including serial number and duration of validity (up to three years).

Canadian Customs does not require you to have a health certificate for your pet, but if the animal is travelling to Canada by air, the commercial airline may require a health certificate. Contact your airline for additional information on their requirements.

source - International Pet Travel, Dog Cat Pet Quarantine, Importing Pets
mikeinie

Living in Canada

Post by mikeinie »

My choice: Vancouver

Beautiful city, right on the Pacific Ocean squeezed nicely between the Rockies. Boating and skiing within an hour of city life. Laid back, friendly and a great place to be.

Alberta, is a Province of Canada, Calgary is the capital city there. Again, great city (Minks is from there), hot summers, freezing winters, and only 1hr 45min from Banff.

But for me it would be Vancouver.

fuzzywuzzy

Living in Canada

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

YOu're not going to NZ? OMG why?
Odie

Living in Canada

Post by Odie »

buttercup;1220040 wrote: Given the choice of living and working in Calgary, Vancouver or Alberta.

Which one would you choose and why?

My husband rang me this morning to say these three cities are looking to recruit workers from Scotland (sponsorship and contract) so we thought we'd look into it. :-6

I agree with Mike on this, Vancouver is a definite.

Calgary as he said is brutal freezing winters and hot summers.

The temps during winter are roughly -20C, I would however as Mike said, ask Minks, she can tell you tons about Alberta as she lives in that province.
Life is just to short for drama.
hoppy

Living in Canada

Post by hoppy »

I like Calgary. The Calgary stampede is awesome.
cmtaylor

Living in Canada

Post by cmtaylor »

Have you considered the east coast? New Brunswick is recruiting immigrants as well. My husband and I have made friends with several families who have moved to our town from the UK in the last year. The culture here is more laid back than on the west coast. If you've never been before, I would definitely recommend a visit before you make a final decision. The same for the cities on the west coast, what one person likes is different than another, so it's hard to judge by someone else's opinion of a place.
mikeinie

Living in Canada

Post by mikeinie »

cmtaylor;1245243 wrote: Have you considered the east coast? New Brunswick is recruiting immigrants as well. My husband and I have made friends with several families who have moved to our town from the UK in the last year. The culture here is more laid back than on the west coast. If you've never been before, I would definitely recommend a visit before you make a final decision. The same for the cities on the west coast, what one person likes is different than another, so it's hard to judge by someone else's opinion of a place.

True, my best friend’s brother moved to Halifax and loved it there so much that when his wife got a job in Toronto he decided to stay in Halifax without her. So either it really is a great city, or they just were not very happy to begin with.

The other benefit is that it is a lot closer to home that the West Coast would be.
cmtaylor

Living in Canada

Post by cmtaylor »

That's true, in fact there are direct flights to both Glasgow and Edinburgh from Halifax. Plus there's the whole Scottish culture in Cape Breton.
chonsigirl

Living in Canada

Post by chonsigirl »

Vancouver has the more mild climate, and is a lovely city. But I do like Calgary and Alberta, just alot colder.
mikeinie

Living in Canada

Post by mikeinie »

Actually, speaking of Canada, it was in the news a lot lately over here.

First of all there is a lot of praise for the Canadian banking system, apparently they have been the least impacted by the crash due to their regulatory systems. Ireland (who’s banking system has all but fully collapsed at this point) is now looking at Canada banks to model themselves after.

Ireland is also looking at the Canadian health care system as a world class system with a very high standard of quality.

Last weekend there was a job fair in Dublin, almost every major city in Canada was represented at it trying to recruit people to come to Canada for jobs.

Way to go Canada
cmtaylor

Living in Canada

Post by cmtaylor »

Yes, I believe the Canadian banking system is currently rated the strongest in the world. It is because when all the other countries relaxed the regulations back during the Clinton years, our gov would not.

Our health system is one of the things that defines us as a country. We love to complain about it amongst ourselves, but anybody from "away" who dares to will get an earful! It's not perfect, but it's fair.
moonpie

Living in Canada

Post by moonpie »

mikeinie;1220064 wrote: My choice: Vancouver

Beautiful city, right on the Pacific Ocean squeezed nicely between the Rockies. Boating and skiing within an hour of city life. Laid back, friendly and a great place to be.

Alberta, is a Province of Canada, Calgary is the capital city there. Again, great city (Minks is from there), hot summers, freezing winters, and only 1hr 45min from Banff.

But for me it would be Vancouver.

It is a very beautiful city and I have lived here a long time. Very diverse. Be prepared to pay some whopping prices for real estate, as the market has really taken a jump over the last 20 years or so. You should maybe look online at mls.ca (multiple listing site for real estate) so you can get an idea of what you are up against.

Can't say too much good about the B.C. Liberal party who has been in power for approx 6-8 years now. They are responsible for the 2010 Olympics coming up in February 2010 and it is turning into one big sham as far as how much they have spent and continue to spend tax dollars while the health and education system is really taking a hit.

My husband thinks that this is the best city on earth, but he has lived in only one other city and that was Edmonton, Alberta - so as far as that is concerned, there is no comparison.

Vancouver is pretty, but if I had my choice, I really much would like to live somewhere else.:thinking:
mikeinie

Living in Canada

Post by mikeinie »

moonpie;1245284 wrote: It is a very beautiful city and I have lived here a long time. Very diverse. Be prepared to pay some whopping prices for real estate, as the market has really taken a jump over the last 20 years or so. You should maybe look online at mls.ca (multiple listing site for real estate) so you can get an idea of what you are up against.

Can't say too much good about the B.C. Liberal party who has been in power for approx 6-8 years now. They are responsible for the 2010 Olympics coming up in February 2010 and it is turning into one big sham as far as how much they have spent and continue to spend tax dollars while the health and education system is really taking a hit.

My husband thinks that this is the best city on earth, but he has lived in only one other city and that was Edmonton, Alberta - so as far as that is concerned, there is no comparison.

Vancouver is pretty, but if I had my choice, I really much would like to live somewhere else.:thinking:

Where would you live if you had the chance?
moonpie

Living in Canada

Post by moonpie »

mikeinie;1245286 wrote: Where would you live if you had the chance?

Actually, I would not mind living in the West Kootenays. They do have winters that last from November through March. I used to live there back in the 1950's and 60's, (a small town called Salmo) and actually went back there in 2007 for a reunion. It seemed so relaxing, and now if you want to go to the city which is approx 26 miles (50 K) the road system has been improved. It just seems it would be a great place to retire and that crime would certainly be at a minimum as opposed to the Lower Mainland which consists of Vancouver and all its' suburbs.

Return to “Canada”