Sexting.

Bill Sikes

Sexting.

Post by Bill Sikes »

"Parents have been warned of a new teenage trend of "sexting", in which children exchange explicit photos of themselves by text".

'Sexting' trend of explicit photo exchange among teenagers, charity warns - Telegraph

"More than a third of secondary school children have been sent messages containing sexual content, a survey showed.

Researchers found youngsters were regularly being sent sex texts or "sexts" - often by their school friends.

The messages contain images of sex acts involving young people but more generally of boys and girls exposing themselves."

The potential here for bullying is quite obvious.

Not so obvious is the potential for people to be prosecuted, imprisoned, and put on the Sex Offenders' Register. This should be done where possible, IMO, in view of the previous concern.
Kathy Ellen

Sexting.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bill Sikes;1224969 wrote: "Parents have been warned of a new teenage trend of "sexting", in which children exchange explicit photos of themselves by text".

'Sexting' trend of explicit photo exchange among teenagers, charity warns - Telegraph

"More than a third of secondary school children have been sent messages containing sexual content, a survey showed.

Researchers found youngsters were regularly being sent sex texts or "sexts" - often by their school friends.

The messages contain images of sex acts involving young people but more generally of boys and girls exposing themselves."

Not so obvious is the potential for people to be prosecuted, imprisoned, and put on the Sex Offenders' Register. This should be done where possible, IMO, in view of the previous concern.

Yes, our young children today are too involved in sex, not just on the phone but also in real life.

Some of our 13 yr. old girls are giving oral sex to the boys on the schoolbus. Now the girls are into rainbow bracelets and lipsticks. A group of girls will wear different lipsticks, give oral sex and leave a ring around the boy's penis...:thinking: They call it deep throat..

They think that oral sex is not sex:confused:
Bill Sikes

Sexting.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Kathy Ellen;1224972 wrote: [BYes, our young children today are too involved in sex, not just on the phone but also in real life.[ /B]

Apart from the obvious problems, there are others, amongst others as mentioned. Do you thing sanctions should be applied? What can be done?

I do not think it's a good idea to generalise the discussion here, or it'll just turn into a huge mish-mash of postings.
Peg

Sexting.

Post by Peg »

There was a case on the news not long ago where a girl had sent a nude pic over the phone to her boyfriend. They broke up and he showed it to everyone at school. The ridicule got so bad she hung herself. :-1
G#Gill

Sexting.

Post by G#Gill »

I would think that it would be almost impossible to stop this particular trend. How the hell can you monitor such activities ? :(
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Kathy Ellen

Sexting.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bill Sikes;1224973 wrote: Apart from the obvious problems, there are others, amongst others as mentioned. Do you thing sanctions should be applied? What can be done?

I wish I knew Bill. Our kidlets today think that they're infallible and nothing bad will happen to them.

By the time our kids leave the 6th Grade (12 yr. olds) they have been taught, through programs in our schools, the dangers of drugs, sex, texting...etc.

They ignore all warnings when they're on their own. They certainly need more supervision by adults. I think that you have to constantly supervise their activites because they're too young to make good decisions and are exposed to all sorts of nonsense through our media and society.

It seems that the kids who are encouraged to play tons of sports and join clubs fare better than the ones who are left alone to their own devices. The unsupervised child has too much time on their hands, get bored and get in trouble.
chonsigirl

Sexting.

Post by chonsigirl »

It is a difficult thing to monitor. In the middle school the students are not allowed to have cell phones with them, they are supposed to be in their lockers. You know that never happens. We then have to confiscate them and have the parents come and pick them up-when we usually get yelled at by parents for taking them away! The cell phones are disruptive to learning, they text each other and do things mentioned in the OP-the parents never bother looking at their kids phones to read the messages, no parental control anymore. And if for some reasons in the middle of class take the phone, and have a few classes to teach until we can get to the office to turn it in, we are responsible if the phone is stolen for some reason. Puts us in the hot seat all the time.
Oscar Namechange

Sexting.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bill Sikes;1224969 wrote: "Parents have been warned of a new teenage trend of "sexting", in which children exchange explicit photos of themselves by text".

Not so obvious is the potential for people to be prosecuted, imprisoned, and put on the Sex Offenders' Register. This should be done where possible, IMO, in view of the previous concern. I'm in 2 minds over this one Bill.

On one hand, I think all kids like to show off especially in this day and age where sex and naked bodies are all over our tv's.

On the other hand, I feel as you, that something needs to be done. There will be kids doing this as a bit of harmeless fun yet some could go on to become a real porblem to society.

The problem is, the attitude of 'It's just kids'.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Sexting.

Post by Rapunzel »

Kathy Ellen;1224979 wrote: I wish I knew Bill. Our kidlets today think that they're infallible and nothing bad will happen to them.

By the time our kids leave the 6th Grade (12 yr. olds) they have been taught, through programs in our schools, the dangers of drugs, sex, texting...etc.

They ignore all warnings when they're on their own. They certainly need more supervision by adults. I think that you have to constantly supervise their activites because they're too young to make good decisions and are exposed to all sorts of nonsense through our media and society.

It seems that the kids who are encouraged to play tons of sports and join clubs fare better than the ones who are left alone to their own devices. The unsupervised child has too much time on their hands, get bored and get in trouble.

OMG, I SO agree with every comment here! Our kidlets think exactly the same way! Last year a year 4 girl (9 yo) was messing about one evening on the 'puter with her friend, for a laugh she emailed a naked photo of herself to a boy she fancied in class. The boy wasn't interested so for a laugh he printed it off and showed it to all his mates around school. She came to me in hysterics at lunchtime and ended up having a talk with the head and with her parents and the boy did the same. It ended with the whole school being forbidden to even mention the subject!
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Oh bill it's really horrible here . We've already had quite a few investigations concerning younger people . and the effects are devastating on them. One girl I know was found out at school and had feaces smeared all over her locker. she is now home schooled. Others have been victims of hassasment after sending pics to their boyfriends. We also have boys who have been warned charged and now on sex registers.

what people have to remember though is that he girls are liable too. They are producing and distributing 'Child prnography' .....and they don't even relise it.
Bill Sikes

Sexting.

Post by Bill Sikes »

fuzzywuzzy;1225227 wrote: We also have boys who have been warned charged and now on sex registers.

what people have to remember though is that he girls are liable too. They are producing and distributing 'Child prnography' .....and they don't even relise it.

This is a danger that people are often unaware of. If children were denied access to telephones that can transmit images like this, of course, the issue wouldn't arise. That, or other prevention, would involve parental responsibility, however...
Betty Boop

Sexting.

Post by Betty Boop »

My son has been begging for a phone for over a year, I've held fast and said no. He asked for one again for his birthday just last month, again I considered it carefully and then said no as I am aware of some of the stuff that had been sent around the primary school. :(

Hey ho, no worries, his dad bought him one :-5 no discussion, no checking to make sure I hadn't, luckily it has no camera though, just a basic nokia brick thank god but I will be checking it regularly!
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

heard a segment on ABC radio where they talk to police every morning. The Youth liason officer was talking about how the kids don't even have to remove their phone from their pockets to text anymore . (mobile phones are banned in the classrooms now but not in the playground ). At one point teachers counldnt understand why there was so many kids surrounding fights at school . This was the reason . A child could be on the other side of the school and get a message to come watch a fight, before mobile phones he would have been oblivious to it.

The problem with sexting is that the minute you send a pic (during school hours ) everyone has seen it before the end of last period.

what I find really concerning is that girls are doing this stuff on Youtube as well, with a much wider audience. Youtube to get out of it legally only remove the vids if there is nudity . Some of these girls are performing erotic acts with their clothes on and getting away with it, and so may I add is youtube.

a huge big media warning like the TAC and RTA ads are needed to warn girls and boys of the laws.
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Betty Boop;1225938 wrote: My son has been begging for a phone for over a year, I've held fast and said no. He asked for one again for his birthday just last month, again I considered it carefully and then said no as I am aware of some of the stuff that had been sent around the primary school. :(

Hey ho, no worries, his dad bought him one :-5 no discussion, no checking to make sure I hadn't, luckily it has no camera though, just a basic nokia brick thank god but I will be checking it regularly!

I've told my boys that if I can't get into their phones or I don't know the passwords then they don't get their phones. And I confiscate them every night. and they are not allowed to delete the history .

Your boy will still be able to recieve pics on his phone?

My ex uses something very clever . you can check the logs of the phone through your computer. A pssword comes with the phone so you can get on line and check all comings and goings.

I told my son this and suddenly he wasn't going through so many calls .....interesting.:wah::wah::wah:
Betty Boop

Sexting.

Post by Betty Boop »

fuzzywuzzy;1225941 wrote: heard a segment on ABC radio where they talk to police every morning. The Youth liason officer was talking about how the kids don't even have to remove their phone from their pockets to text anymore . (mobile phones are banned in the classrooms now but not in the playground ). At one point teachers counldnt understand why there was so many kids surrounding fights at school . This was the reason . A child could be on the other side of the school and get a message to come watch a fight, before mobile phones he would have been oblivious to it.

The problem with sexting is that the minute you send a pic (during school hours ) everyone has seen it before the end of last period.

what I find really concerning is that girls are doing this stuff on Youtube as well, with a much wider audience. Youtube to get out of it legally only remove the vids if there is nudity . Some of these girls are performing erotic acts with their clothes on and getting away with it, and so may I add is youtube.

a huge big media warning like the TAC and RTA ads are needed to warn girls and boys of the laws.

Have you watched any of the latest music video's lately, they are all full of pouting temptresses scantily clad and performing erotic acts, this is what our teenagers are trying to emulate, it's disgusting and giving youngsters the complete wrong image of a 'woman' :mad:
Oscar Namechange

Sexting.

fuzzywuzzy;1225947 wrote: I've told my boys that if I can't get into their phones or I don't know the passwords then they don't get their phones. And I confiscate them every night. and they are not allowed to delete the history .

My ex uses something very clever . you can check the logs of the phone through your computer. A pssword comes with the phone so you can get on line and check all comings and goings.

I told my son this and suddenly he wasn't going through so many calls .....interesting.:wah::wah::wah: I agree with Bill. I just don't ever remember this being done in my day before all this technology that kids have now. That's half the problem, the mobile phones, pc's etc that you can photograph and video on and send on. It's a similar thing to 'Happy slapping' that we had a trend here for recently. Maybe some of the kids are really just naive in thinking that it's only the person they are forwarding it to, that will see it. They just don't think at the time that it will be used in malice soon after. Having said that, there are kids out there who get a kick from it obviousley.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Sexting.

Post by Betty Boop »

fuzzywuzzy;1225947 wrote: I've told my boys that if I can't get into their phones or I don't know the passwords then they don't get their phones. And I confiscate them every night. and they are not allowed to delete the history .

I told my son this and suddenly he wasn't going through so many calls .....interesting.:wah::wah::wah:

At the moment he's lost interest in it, it's sat on the side here next to me. He might find more interest in it when he starts at secondary school in September.

He's not able to receive photo's, no, it really is just a basic model.

Yes I can check a log on my phone via the internet, will have to look into that regarding his.
Oscar Namechange

Sexting.

Betty Boop;1225951 wrote: Have you watched any of the latest music video's lately, they are all full of pouting temptresses scantily clad and performing erotic acts, this is what our teenagers are trying to emulate, it's disgusting and giving youngsters the complete wrong image of a 'woman' :mad: Thing is, do they realise it's disgusting? I became a 'teenager' very late into my teens because my parents just wouldn't let me grow up as some parents do with their kids now. I used to think they were snobs and prudes because even at the age of 15. I was not allowed to watch tv such as 'Steptoe and Son', 'On the buses' or 'Til death us do part'. That's why I love watching all the re-runs now :wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Oscar I asked the Dad of a girl here why she did it . And basically she just thought it was a bit of fun between very close friends . and I can understand that . Conversations that wind up in lots of giggling and tempting. *shrugs* I dont know maybe it's the same as spin the bottle the naughty kids used to get up to when I was a kid. Unfortunetly with many more connotations to it.
Betty Boop

Sexting.

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1225956 wrote: Thing is, do they realise it's disgusting? I became a 'teenager' very late into my teens because my parents just wouldn't let me grow up as some parents do with their kids now. I used to think they were snobs and prudes because even at the age of 15. I was not allowed to watch tv such as 'Steptoe and Son', 'On the buses' or 'Til death us do part'. That's why I love watching all the re-runs now :wah:

My 'disgusting' is in reference to the constantly trickled image of what it is to be a woman, there's no variation within the pop world, they are portrayed as 'perfect' sex bombs materialistically and they are all over opinionated 'I will kick your ass if you so much as cross me' types with bad attitude :wah:.

There have always been those types around but they used to be in the minority, you always had the other 'nice girl' option as the majority though.

My daughter at seven doesn't understand but my boy at twelve is starting to, I really don't want him to think women are just brazen sex slaves!

My Mum would never let me watch Kenny Everett, pity it was on the night she went out and big bro would let me watch it, although to be honest, most of it went straight over my head :wah: My Mum was a prude, I'm not, I'm open and honest with my two, I just object to the continuous stream of overt sexuality being transmitted via music videos :)
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It's interesting that you say that betty . I watched Kenny Everet and have to admit most went over my head at hte time .............But I did want to be Sid Snot when I grew up. :wah::wah::wah:
Betty Boop

Sexting.

Post by Betty Boop »

fuzzywuzzy;1225969 wrote: It's interesting that you say that betty . I watched Kenny Everet and have to admit most went over my head at hte time .............But I did want to be Sid Snot when I grew up. :wah::wah::wah:

Nice! :wah: Of course, it's all in 'the best possible taste!' by that errmmm cupid stunt :D
Oscar Namechange

Sexting.

Betty Boop;1225975 wrote: Nice! :wah: Of course, it's all in 'the best possible taste!' by that errmmm cupid stunt :D
Sid Snot :yh_rotfl
gmc

Sexting.

Post by gmc »

posted by oscar

I agree with Bill. I just don't ever remember this being done in my day before all this technology that kids have now. That's half the problem, the mobile phones, pc's etc that you can photograph and video on and send on.

I have resisted the temptation but it was difficult.

Maybe there wasn't the technology but the rumour mill and bullying was around then as well. Kids just don't think through the consequences of doing things like this not does it always occur to them that someone might pass on e-mails to their friends. It's down to the parents to know what these phones are capable off and making sure their kids understand what could happen.

posted by bill sikes

What possible good will it to to give a child a criminal record for doing something stupid? The law recognises that children under sixteen are capable of acting without thinking and an act as a 15 year old or even a ten year old should not blight somebody's life. If they do it as an adult posting pictures of children that is a whole different ball game from an twelve year old giving her boyfriend a nude picture, at that age you still trust people and don't expect them to be shits. It's stupid but not done with criminal intent. draconian punishments aren't always the answer.
Peter Lake

Sexting.

Post by Peter Lake »

gmc;1226138 wrote: posted by oscar

I have resisted the temptation but it was difficult.

Maybe there wasn't the technology but the rumour mill and bullying was around then as well. Kids just don't think through the consequences of doing things like this not does it always occur to them that someone might pass on e-mails to their friends. It's down to the parents to know what these phones are capable off and making sure their kids understand what could happen.

posted by bill sikes

What possible good will it to to give a child a criminal record for doing something stupid? The law recognises that children under sixteen are capable of acting without thinking and an act as a 15 year old or even a ten year old should not blight somebody's life. If they do it as an adult posting pictures of children that is a whole different ball game from an twelve year old giving her boyfriend a nude picture, at that age you still trust people and don't expect them to be shits. It's stupid but not done with criminal intent. draconian punishments aren't always the answer.
We seem to have a growing trend in our area of children as young as ten years old urinating in full public view of mothers with children and the general public. I find this deeply offensive but what can be done? There is no use in calling the police although it is an offence as they take no interest.
Bill Sikes

Sexting.

Post by Bill Sikes »

gmc;1226138 wrote: What possible good will it to to give a child a criminal record for doing something stupid? The law recognises that children under sixteen are capable of acting without thinking and an act as a 15 year old or even a ten year old should not blight somebody's life. If they do it as an adult posting pictures of children that is a whole different ball game from an twelve year old giving her boyfriend a nude picture, at that age you still trust people and don't expect them to be shits. It's stupid but not done with criminal intent. draconian punishments aren't always the answer.

It would, if publicised, make others aware that it's illegal and dangerous to them. I did not mention adults here. They are not part of this issue, so why bring them in? Also, what "draconian punishments" are you making up and bringing into this?
Bill Sikes

Sexting.

Post by Bill Sikes »

Peter Lake;1226209 wrote: We seem to have a growing trend in our area of children as young as ten years old urinating in full public view of mothers with children and the general public. I find this deeply offensive but what can be done? There is no use in calling the police although it is an offence as they take no interest.

Don't take pictures of them that show their bits'n'pieces. Otherwise, do. Then stick them up on lamp-posts.
Peter Lake

Sexting.

Post by Peter Lake »

Bill Sikes;1226212 wrote: Don't take pictures of them that show their bits'n'pieces. Otherwise, do. Then stick them up on lamp-posts.
That is a very tempting notion and one that i would have pleasure in carrying out within the confines of the law. Only very recently i observed one fourteen year old urinating against the glass front of our local supermarket in full view of the public. A mother with a child who could have been no more than three years old expressed her disgust only to be met with the question " are you threatening me?" A dear friend of mine was also accused of filming children due to having security camera's to protect his business which was inane due to the area being a public place. I am in no doubt on that occasion that it was no more than a local officer sabre rattling yet ironic that when the police very recently needed evidence of an obscene gesture by a youth outside his business, he was the first one that the police asked for help.
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Bill ? Peter ?.............You want to produce and display children performing a golden shower? Even if it doesn't have the offendeing "article" in the pic you want to distribute on a lampost Pics of children? To shame them? That's one of the reasons perverts take pics of children. Have a good think about that proposal.

lets not go nuts here.
Bill Sikes

Sexting.

Post by Bill Sikes »

fuzzywuzzy;1226377 wrote: distribute on a lampost Pics of children? To shame them? That's one of the reasons perverts take pics of children. Have a good think about that proposal.

lets not go nuts here.

Quite. That is why, old thing, I wrote "Don't take pictures of them that show their bits'n'pieces". I did not bring strange sexual practices in, or mention perversion. Unfortunately these days, one is rather limited as to what is possible, at least if there's a chance of reprisals - otherwise I'd suggest "foot, wishbone", or possibly rubbing their noses in it. That'd be OK, wouldn't it?
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

or possibly rubbing their noses in it. That'd be OK, wouldn't it?

Oh my god this is a momentous occasion!!! BILL SiKES just made me laugh.

:wah::wah::wah:

I don't know bill. slap the parents on the up side of the head.

My fourteen year old just out of nowhere took up spitting. never done it before in his life all of the sudden he does it in the car park of a supermarket. I looked at him horrified.

He said " What"?

I said ".......... "do I really have to tell you"?

He said, "Ever since this stupid adams apple has come I get stuff in my throat all the time."

"Okay that's fine I understand that ........Lets be more discreet about it eh?"

he never did it in public again.
Oscar Namechange

Sexting.

fuzzywuzzy;1226377 wrote: Bill ? Peter ?.............You want to produce and display children performing a golden shower? Even if it doesn't have the offendeing "article" in the pic you want to distribute on a lampost Pics of children? To shame them? That's one of the reasons perverts take pics of children. Have a good think about that proposal.

lets not go nuts here. It seems what Pete said in reply to Bill was that it was a tempting idea not some-thing that he would follow through. Don't get me wrong, the area this happens in a lot in is lacking in public tiolets and a problem to any-one wanting a wee. We have also witnessed children caught short in that area but take the trouble to find a tree to go behind, not get their penis out infront of shoppers and children outside a supermarket in what was no doubt a deliberate act. This incident Pete refered to was not some young child caught out but a teenager who knew the full impact of pissing against a supermarket in day-time infront of all shoppers. It was a deliberate act to offend any-one in that area and they way he laughed as people showed their disgust proved it was deliberate. That was not a one off and it's some-thing that regually happens in that area. These lads know they will get a reaction from the public and it's almost a dare it seems. I myself do actually have a problem with a 15 year old exposing his dick infront of mothers and children. If the act were entirely innocent, he had plenty of area's he could have used for a wee without any-one seeing him such as round the back of the supermarket.

Only a few weeks ago we were asked by our elderly neighbour to call the police as 4 teenagers were weeing against his private hedge in a lane smack next door to a primary school and children playing near-by. What the neighbour found more shocking was that even the 2 female teenagers had taking their underwear down and squatted in the lane oblivious to the children near-by. By the time an officer came out the teenagers were gone but could see the rivers of pisse they had left behind that children were then having to walk through. The first thing the officer asked was 'Did you manage to photograph them'? Pete said no because they had their private parts exposed. The officer said it was a pity other-wise he could arrest them for a public order offence. Even some police officers find the practice disgusting.
fuzzywuzzy

Sexting.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hmmm almost akin to flashing it seems.

Return to “Kids Family”