Lesbians given equal birth rights.

buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Women in same-sex relationships can now register both their names on the birth certificate of a child conceived as a result of fertility treatment.

Female couples not in a civil partnership but receiving fertility treatment may also both be registered.

The law change applies to female couples in England and Wales who were having fertility treatment on or after 6 April 2009.

source - BBC NEWS | UK | Lesbians given equal birth rights

Your thoughts.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

If an impotent dad gets on a birth cert even though the sperm came from a donor, then why not?

Aside: does the mom get a medical history to keep in case the kid gets sick? Lots of diseases or tendencies to catch certain diseases are hereditary.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I have no idea Accounts but would the sperm donor not have to fill out forms stating hereditary conditions within his family. If so would that not make his sperm unacceptable?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

That's what I would think. I'd go do some research but I have a rejection complex. :o
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

All for equality. Especially for the child. Interesting point about donor hereditary issues. I'd sort of assumed anyone with a known hereditary issue would not be accepted as a donor...

The hereditary thing is of more than academic concern to me as I'm adopted. I have no idea what hereditary jollies may be lurking in my future. I suppose I sort of regard it as a swings and roundabouts issue - at least I'm not guaranteed the senility that wrecked my poor Dad's last years, and his Mum's.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Societal Issues News”