Expert advocates sleeping apart.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Getting a decent night's sleep is more important than cosying up between the sheets to please your partner, says Dr Neil Stanley.

Research evidence suggests that sharing a bed is bad for sleep, he told the British Science Festival.

One study found that if one partner moved in his or her sleep there was a 50% chance of it disturbing the other.

Another revealed that the longer couples had spent together, the more likely they were to have separate rooms. By the time they were aged in their 70s, 40% were choosing to sleep apart.

Other research showed that men were likely to prod their snoring partners awake, while women tended to put up with the noise - as they struggled to sleep.

Dr Stanley, who set up one of Britain's leading sleep laboratories at the University of Surrey, said poor sleep was linked to depression, heart disease, strokes, lung disorders, traffic and industrial accidents, and divorce. Yet sleep was largely ignored as an important aspect of health.

"If you want to live a happy and healthy life, diet and exercise are important but so is sleep," said Dr Stanley, speaking at the University of Surrey in Guildford.

He said the modern tradition of the marital bed only began with the industrial revolution, when people moving to overcrowded towns and cities found themselves short of living space.

Before the Victorian era it was not uncommon for married couples to sleep apart, he argued. In ancient Rome, the marital bed was a place for sexual congress but not for sleeping."

Source - Expert advocates sleeping apart - Yahoo! News UK

Your thoughts.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;1239683 wrote: (Dr Neil Stanley) said Research evidence suggests that sharing a bed is bad for sleep

Your thoughts.

He's got a point with that, especially if it's hot.
spot

Post by spot »

buttercup;1239683 wrote: One study found that if one partner moved in his or her sleep there was a 50% chance of it disturbing the other.
I am, quite definitely, immune.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Apart from para 5 (which certainly reverses my experience) it makes much sense.

I currently have a three on four off pattern and it works for us.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1239689 wrote: I currently have a three on four off pattern and it works for us.Seven concurrent partners? How big's the bed?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1239691 wrote: Seven concurrent partners? How big's the bed?

Huge :-)

Stops us waking each other in the night although with three on and four off it sometimes gets difficult to breathe :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

Are you all Mormon converts or merely subject to Her Majesty's Pleasure at a particularly overcrowded establishment?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Off to bed (with my husband) not affecting my health yet :sneaky:

See you all tomorrow x
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1239698 wrote: Are you all Mormon converts or merely subject to Her Majesty's Pleasure at a particularly overcrowded establishment?

Polynesian if you must know - born and bred :-p
spot

Post by spot »

buttercup;1239700 wrote: Off to bed (with my husband) not affecting my health yet :sneaky:

See you all tomorrow x

I hope you keep him up all night.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

buttercup;1239700 wrote: Off to bed (with my husband) not affecting my health yet : sneaky:

See you all tomorrow x

Not your health? What about his? Don't prod him in the middle of the night...
spot

Post by spot »

Bill Sikes;1239704 wrote: Don't prod him in the middle of the night...
They're newlyweds Bill, don't be a spoilsport.
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

My hubby snores badly:( so most nights I choose to sleep in another room to get a good nights sleep, especially when I have a lively 1 year old to chase round during the day :-4
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

Post by Odie »

I full agree, sleeping by yourself does give you a much better sleep.

my x works the night shift......I slept alone from Mon-Friday nights.....and sleep very well....

......come Sat. and Sun night when we slept together?.....we tossed all night, he tore the covers off me and we both snore.
Life is just to short for drama.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

personally i like sharing the bed with my wife,i just wish shed share the covers :wah:
:driving:lookout smart guy talkin:guitarist:yh_devil:yh_ghost:

Return to “General Chit Chat”