Russia!!

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
BTS

Russia!!

Post by BTS »

Jives wrote: I like how you infer that skin color is a factor in murder rates. :thinking:
Well excuse me jives.......... There are many skin colors other than white.

My point about comparing them is that Russia has 4 times the murder rate of the US and they are being commited by the Russians themselves not by outsiders who are not native to Russia. They may be from India, Africa, Asia or any such country.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
BTS

Russia!!

Post by BTS »

David813 wrote: Didn't you know? BTS is a redneck. And rednecks are not only uneducated and unclean but they're also racists. ???
capt_buzzard

Russia!!

Post by capt_buzzard »

David813 wrote: VERY cool!! I loved the link!! I've never been to Russia but as a communist it has been close to my heart since I joined the Marxist movement in the late 80's. The USSR was a superpower, modern Russia is a 3rd world country. The bastions of the tiny rich population in Leningrad (as the Russians still refer to it) and Moscow hide the fact that even after decades of Stalinist rule, deviated significantly from communism, that the Russian CP is the 2nd largest political party in the country. Huge swaths of Russia have kept their Marxist-Leninist monuments and retain communists in local government. The treatment of it's soldiers is horrendous. You may know a more current number Scrat but up to 500 young Russian men conscripted into the military die of brutal conditions and hazing, abuse and disease PER YEAR. The worst thing to happen to this great country was surrendering the Revolution to salivating capitalist pigs overseas. Now the church there has been unleashed to divide the people even more. Skinheads murder foreign students regularly and that hate comes from Poverty and frustration with a failed dictatorship. Same thing is happening in eastern Germany where the godless commies were routed and now the eastern provinces have sunken into the worst economic conditions since WW2. Skinheads are abound. "Freeeedom" as our chimp prez pretends to cherish is not working in Russia or any of the former Soviet states. I predict civil war will turn Russia into a bloodbath very soon. The sickle & hammer represented a proud and powerful people with many luxuries and advantages they no longer have. "Sink or Swim" kills, and the people of Russia must rise up once again and reignite their Glorious Revolution.hmmm, surprised.
BTS

Russia!!

Post by BTS »

Thought this was weird!!

Tax on Use of the Words “Russia”, “Russian Federation”

Russian commercial enterprises which use the above words or derivatives of these words

in their names must pay a tax, generally set at 0.5% of their gross sales revenues.

K.Snyder

Russia!!

Post by K.Snyder »

David813 wrote: The Soviets took Berlin. The Soviets drove the Taliban out of Afghanistan and WE put them back in power only to fight them later! Are you saying the US WON the Vietnam War? Commie bashing is so tiresome. So are outdated rusty hacks in Ohio! :wah:

After we won the God damn war.They only took berlin while we took everything else.Schmuck

Im saying the soldiers did there jobs over there.

Go kiss Gorbs ass then give him your wife.she might be happy
MicahLorain

Russia!!

Post by MicahLorain »

K.Snyder wrote: After we won the God damn war.They only took berlin while we took everything else.Schmuck

Go kiss Gorbs ass then give him your wife.she might be happy
Did you know Gorbachev hasn't been prez of Russia in about 15 years?? I doubt the US would have won WW2 without the Soviets. The eastern front made Normandy look like a soccer game. The Russians lost 100 million people and still took Berlin. Schmuck.
K.Snyder

Russia!!

Post by K.Snyder »

we would have most deffinatley won the war without the Russians,whether it be with time or a thing called NUKES.

Why did they lose 100 million men to begin with??Is it because there own generals shot all of them for retreiting after they found out there leaders led them into circumstances they knew they couldnt get out of??Hmm

Talk about cold blooded

And as for Gorbachev(ALL COMMIS ARE THE SAME-THERE LEADERS ANYWAY)

Fu*(!&@ COMMI
MicahLorain

Russia!!

Post by MicahLorain »

K.Snyder wrote: we would have most deffinatley won the war without the Russians,whether it be with time or a thing called NUKES.

Why did they lose 100 million men to begin with??Is it because there own generals shot all of them for retreiting after they found out there leaders led them into circumstances they knew they couldnt get out of??Hmm

Talk about cold blooded

Fu*(!&@ COMMI
Any serious reading of history makes it clear the US/Soviet alliance to defeat the Germans was key to stopping them in their tracks. From your spelling struggles it is rather apparent you don't read much! All commies aren't the same. If you'll recall they were great at killing eachother! Filled with factions. The commies aren't dead. No sir.:yh_nailbi
K.Snyder

Russia!!

Post by K.Snyder »

I just dont get how someone could like a country that taxes there people as significantly as they do,while at the same time giving their people no credit for anything they have talent for,better than a free country with endless possibilities given ones own ambition.BEYOND ME!
Accountable

Russia!!

Post by Accountable »

K.Snyder wrote: we would have most deffinatley won the war without the Russians,whether it be with time or a thing called NUKES.

Talk about cold blooded

Fu*(!&@ COMMI
Nice display of control there, Snyder. I recommend that you do your homework before arguing with someone who does his own.
K.Snyder

Russia!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Scrat wrote: What the hell are you talking about?

The Russians took on the bulk of the German Wehrmacht from beginning to the end, with operation Barbarossa the Germans hit them so hard and so fast they couldn't move quick enough to get away and regroup. When and where they did they handed the Germans their butts on a silver platter, Gomel/Bobriusk, Smolensk, Tula.

The Russians pushed them back from the Volga river and the gates of Moscow to Berlin. Over 3000 miles, 7 out of 10 of the German soldiers that died in WWII died on the Russian front. 97% OF THE GENERATION OF RUSSIAN MEN BORN FROM 1918 TO 1923 DIED TO DO THIS.

Normandy was a sideshow along with everything else we did in comparison. That's a fact.

More than 25% of all them deaths were do to freezing temperatures,and the Russians were on the defensive for almost the entire war.If it wernt for the Allied support russia would be called Germany or East Germany (whichever the germans would have wanted to call it.Russia helped Germany invade Poland as well.If it wernt for Hitlers greed and insanity Russia would have massacred along with the Nazis.What kind of country is that??????Come on man.I know all governments are currupt but some more than others.Im not condimming the Russian people,Im condimming the ways of the Communist government and how they think.I realize that Russia is trying to take on more ways that like from the west,but as of yet I still cannot see how anyone in there right mind would take a government like Russia over a free society like the United States or Great Britain or even Germany today.Which goes to show you what countries like ours can do proved in the Cold war.
K.Snyder

Russia!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Where else can you file bankruptcy and still have the right to own a house?Your talking about American taxes,Please.Russia would make you pay that debt.America embraces it and lets you start all over,as well as a clean record after 7 years.Would Russia allow that? I HIGHLY doubt it.Look at the money and the benifits America gives its troops.Payed college,benifits,being set up with a career and even a retirement fund.Russia have that?? I would like to know? Do they??
Accountable

Russia!!

Post by Accountable »

Scrat wrote: I know for a fact that I live in one of the most tyrannical and tightly controled societies on earth. I know the average Russian has a lot more freedom than I do.
Whoa, that's a pretty damning statement. Care to elaborate?
K.Snyder

Russia!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Scrat wrote: we still spend half our tax dollars on wasteful war toys while American kids go hungry and the school system goes to hell.

We mortgage the future on those same children.

Really sad.

Last I heard libraries were free,And I can assure you that the reason most of our children are uneducated Is because they choose to be.Whether It be through truency or just simply not doing their homework.How can you teach a child that does not wish to be taught?

As for any child going hungary,explains Itself.Why would any one who couldnt feed themselves have children?You blame the Gov.,while you should be blaming the parents for not keeping their hormones in their pants.

I droped out of high school,and started with nothing.Now I am a skilled tradesman and will always have a jobe for no less than $30,000/yr.Blame the Gov.?NO,Blame the lazy.
Accountable

Russia!!

Post by Accountable »

K.Snyder wrote: Last I heard libraries were free,And I can assure you that the reason most of our children are uneducated Is because they choose to be.Whether It be through truency or just simply not doing their homework.How can you teach a child that does not wish to be taught?
You're right Snider. Screw the kids! If they want an education, then they can damn well find it themselves! Doggone unappreciative brats!
Accountable

Russia!!

Post by Accountable »

Scrat wrote: When it comes to education in Russia it is a community effort. You will go to school, and you will like it. The community ensures that. It falls into the "commie" mindset that says you are responsible for yourself, the state only does certain things, the rest is up to you as an individual. Believe me, I see very few losers in Russia. The lagacy of the old system still demands that people be responsible for their actions.
My uneducated view of "commie" has always been that you do your work and the gov't will take care of you. That admittedly comes from US propaganda.

Scrat wrote: Sure. When, I am in a city like Smolensk I can walk the streets at night without fear of getting mugged or worse. When I was there I saw 3 policemen in 3 days. I can even walk the streets of Moscow (a city of 9 million) without fear. I can stand in front of the Kremlin gate and have a beer. Try that in front of the Whitehouse.
Not a clue what empirical stats would show about this. I've walked many streets of many cities and towns and have never been mugged, regardless of my level of fear.

Scrat wrote: There is so little government control in peoples lives there on all levels that some people live their lives without ever coming into contact with it, it all depends on where you live.

Commerce? **** the paperwork to start a business in Seattle costs $6000, then you have to pay exorbidant taxes, small business in Russia is the rule. People power is the rule. If you want to start a business at a Bazaar you pay a small fee at the managers office and a stall fee per day and sit and make your money. The only thing you are subject too are inspections if you sell food.
You'll get no argument from me, here. Some bureaucrats enter "public service" only to satisfy their own impulses to be control freaks. :mad:

Scrat wrote: One reason the Russians are so "poor" is because they pay so little in taxes. Government payroll taxes are only a 7% flat tax and a VAT tax which because of the prolific, ubiquitious small business is all but unenforcable. The Russian government makes its money off of oil and other natural resources, not the people.
That first sentence is odd to me, and potentially very revealing of you, Scrat. This may be the type of philosophical plateau I look for. You honestly think that if the government took more from the people - or if the people contributed more to government, depending on your point of view - the people as a whole would be richer? If so, where is the balance point, if any?

As for the rest, the less one subscribes to society's definition of "success" the more freedom one has. Meaning, the more material symbols of wealth you require, the more gov't involvement you will have to endure.

Good to see you again. :-6
Lulu2

Russia!!

Post by Lulu2 »

I was in Russia three years ago. What interested me most was what they did NOT want to discuss and what they DID want to discuss.

The Soviet times were clearly not up for discussion! The Tsars, however, were everywhere! Matryoshka (those nesting dolls) with all the tsars and tsarinas and the last royal family were everywhere. The museums all had royal portraits and the palaces and jewels, armory, etc, were presented with pride, rather than as a negative example of the "exploitation of the ruling classes."

My heart was caught by generations of people in their 60s and 70s who had worked for the system all their lives, believing they'd be cared for in their old age. Retirement is mandatory and now, their pensions are pathetically small. You see them selling flowers....it's very sad.

Another surprising thing was the degree of interest in religion. I saw many older people carefully instructing children in rituals of the faith and it was unusual to visit a church and find it empty.

There are some mind-boggling architectural wonders in St. Petersberg and Moscow and many delightful old churches still standing out in the countryside. It seems they survived the Soviets by becoming "museums" of the "superstitious religious," or somesuch...in any event, they were spared in a time when so many splendid buildings were trashed.

Touring the Kremlin was an odd experience....to actually stand at the site of those events I saw unfold in news clips during my childhood! It's HUGE inside...it's a small town, really, with many formerly KGB buildings, a couple of chapels, a splendid museum and gardens. I suppose secrets still whisper there...
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Russia!!

Post by Lulu2 »

You're so right about the war...the seige of Leningrad was devastating! Our guide showed us the exact spot where the Germans were held--they all still remember. When we saw the devastation to the palaces, it made ME furious that the Germans had deliberately destroyed such magnificence, and I'm a foreigner! I don't understand that kind of cruelty and hatred. On the other hand, this was on orders from the mind that demanded Paris be burned!

And, it's the same country where magnificent buildings like the Church on the Spilled Blood was ordered destroyed--and would have been, had not one brave fellow refused.

A land of contradictions, for certain.

By the way..have you read "Ice Road?" by Gillian Slovo? It's a fiction account of life in Leningrad during the seige. Gripping.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Russia!!

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

I went to Moscow on a school trip when i was 15 (many years ago) its some where ive always wanted ro revisit. I still remember the out door swimming pools and we went cross country skiing (i hated that bit) saw red square/ Lenin and you were NOT allowed to jay walk i also had my first taste of Vodka and my first trip on a bendy bus - why do memories always sound so pathetic :(
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Lulu2

Russia!!

Post by Lulu2 »

"Do you mean St Basils?" No...I mean the Church on the Spilled Blood, in St. Petersberg. Our translator, who grew up there, told us that someone had pulled a stunt similar to the one you've described, to keep the church from being blown up. I believed her.

It's amazing to read a theoretical description of the church (or of St. Basil's) describing stripes and domes and checks and multi-colored panels...and interpret that as anything other than an "acid dream!"

And yet, they take your breath....:-6

Return to “Travel Vacation”