Avast anti-virus

Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

I have had this free for 3 months and its free forver....then something pops up saying I now need a key number to continue?

I have now registered 4 times to have this key number, no one has emailed me back.

In the meantime I have no anti-virus that is working.

What other programs offer completely free that are dependable, and I don't mean the ones that say free, only to sign up and register and to find out then its only the first 3 months that are free?

thankyou
Life is just to short for drama.
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Ian;1251625 wrote: Here you go Odie :)

AVG Free - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

I've used this before and it was okay :)

This one is also highly rated:

Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus

I tried that one also Ian, but its only free now for 3 months.
Peg

Avast anti-virus

Post by Peg »

Odie;1251628 wrote: I tried that one also Ian, but its only free now for 3 months.

Avira or AVG?

My Avast is telling me the trial period will end soon. I also was under the impression it was free and not just a trial offer.
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Peg;1251630 wrote: Avira or AVG?

My Avast is telling me the trial period will end soon. I also was under the impression it was free and not just a trial offer.

As I have searched Avast it is continued free, but as said, you have to register for a ticket after the 3 months, and I have now registered 4 times, and received no emails to confirm?

I tried Avira but its denying me access.
Peg

Avast anti-virus

Post by Peg »

Is it Avira or AVG that is only a 3 month trial offer?

What message do you get from Avira that denies you access? My husband has Avira. He hasn't gotten any notices saying his trial period has ended.
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Peg;1251637 wrote: Is it Avira or AVG that is only a 3 month trial offer?

What message do you get from Avira that denies you access? My husband has Avira. He hasn't gotten any notices saying his trial period has ended.

AVG is the 3 month trial.

the other one just says I don't have permission to access that page.
Peg

Avast anti-virus

Post by Peg »

I had used AVG for years and years. After their last upgrade though, it became nothing but problems. I tend to try to stay away from it now. I'm not particularly fond of Avira either since it let that Cyber Security nightmare into my husband's computer although I know that no antivirus is going to catch everything. I'll do a search when I am more wide awake and will let you know if I find any other free ones.
Barman

Avast anti-virus

Post by Barman »

I use "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition". Knocks spots of all the other free stuff Odie.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Avast anti-virus

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1251639 wrote: AVG is the 3 month trial.

the other one just says I don't have permission to access that page.

AVG Pro is given with a three month trial period.

AVG Free is free unlimited.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Avast anti-virus

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Barman;1251643 wrote: I use "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition". Knocks spots of all the other free stuff Odie.

This sounds like a malware remover rather than an anti-virus.

You generally need both - do not rely on just a spyware blocker.
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1251654 wrote: AVG Pro is given with a three month trial period.

AVG Free is free unlimited.

I have tried all of them, a blocker says I don't have permission.:-5:-5
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Avast anti-virus

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1251662 wrote: I have tried all of them, a blocker says I don't have permission.:-5:-5

It was Aviva that you said was blocked - AVG you said was time limited.

From what you have posted, you loaded a trial version of AVG Pro which expired, you've then tried to load AVG Free without first unloading AVG Pro which just wont work.

I've run AVG Free on all the PCs I support for many years and the only time I've experienced problems is when the user has accepted their very kind (not) offer of a free upgrade. When the trial period expires they then 'phone me up complaining that "it's broken" and I have to remove AVG Pro and load the latest version of AVG Free - problem solved.
Barman

Avast anti-virus

Post by Barman »

Bryn Mawr;1251655 wrote: This sounds like a malware remover rather than an anti-virus.

You generally need both - do not rely on just a spyware blocker.

Antivirus included, tis all i have and my comp never has problems.:)
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1251666 wrote: It was Aviva that you said was blocked - AVG you said was time limited.

From what you have posted, you loaded a trial version of AVG Pro which expired, you've then tried to load AVG Free without first unloading AVG Pro which just wont work.

I've run AVG Free on all the PCs I support for many years and the only time I've experienced problems is when the user has accepted their very kind (not) offer of a free upgrade. When the trial period expires they then 'phone me up complaining that "it's broken" and I have to remove AVG Pro and load the latest version of AVG Free - problem solved.

I haven't downloaded anything, when I press download, it tells me to save which I do, then click on the title, press download and thats when a blocker comes up and says on them I don't have permission.

Avast is the one I had free and have been waiting 4 times now to receive a ticket to continue like Peg has.
Oscar Namechange

Avast anti-virus

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Odie;1251623 wrote: I have had this free for 3 months and its free forver....then something pops up saying I now need a key number to continue?

I have now registered 4 times to have this key number, no one has emailed me back.

In the meantime I have no anti-virus that is working.

What other programs offer completely free that are dependable, and I don't mean the ones that say free, only to sign up and register and to find out then its only the first 3 months that are free?

thankyou
Pete says it could be that you have a spam filter that is stopping the e mail coming through. Hope that helps.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

oscar;1251675 wrote: Pete says it could be that you have a spam filter that is stopping the e mail coming through. Hope that helps.

all my other emails come through?
Peg

Avast anti-virus

Post by Peg »

Go to the email address you used for it and click on the junk mail folder just to check if it may be there.
YZGI

Avast anti-virus

Post by YZGI »

I use Avast on 4 computers with no problems. Be sure you downloaded the home version. About every year I have to get a new registry key number and its never been a problem.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Avast anti-virus

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1251674 wrote: I haven't downloaded anything, when I press download, it tells me to save which I do, then click on the title, press download and thats when a blocker comes up and says on them I don't have permission.

Avast is the one I had free and have been waiting 4 times now to receive a ticket to continue like Peg has.

I don't understand what you are trying to tell me.

You press download and it tells you to save which you do. The file is now downloaded and ready to run or does the save fail?

In which window do you click on the title? In the AVG webpage on your browser? In some form of download manager? In Windows Explorer?

What form does the blocker take? Is it from your browser, your firewall ...?
CARLA

Avast anti-virus

Post by CARLA »

Odie check your junk mail AVAST emails you with the registration number almost immediately.

AVAST free home edition is free FOREVER. You just go to their "Free Home Edition site" and re register it every 14 months copy the new code in the area for the code and bingo your covered for another 14 months.

Turn your blocker (if it is a popup blocker turning it off is an option in your browser) or you will never be able to use it properly when done turn it back on. If your using a popup blocker you might want to give it some guidelines as far as what to block. Blocking all popups will limit your ability to download and install software.

ALSO don't forget MALWAREBYTES as the 1-2 punch needed these days.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Avast anti-virus

Post by spot »

Odie, this is an attempt at giving good advice though I doubt whether it'll be accepted as such. It's something I learned when I started out in computing and it's saved me a stack of time and effort.

In a situation where the rest of the world gets the expected result and you get an error, the error is the result of a mistake you're making, it's not the result of a problem out there in the world itself.

if you can manage to grasp that - and it took me a while to grasp it - you'll save a lot of time fixing your problems.

The answers you need are in this thread, all you need do is read it without blinkers.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1251693 wrote: Odie check your junk mail AVAST emails you with the registration number almost immediately.

AVAST free home edition is free FOREVER. You just go to their "Free Home Edition site" and re register it every 14 months copy the new code in the area for the code and bingo your covered for another 14 months.

Turn your blocker (if it is a popup blocker turning it off is an option in your browser) or you will never be able to use it properly when done turn it back on. If your using a popup blocker you might want to give it some guidelines as far as what to block. Blocking all popups will limit your ability to download and install software.

As I work part-time from home, I have several email accounts that are checked every hour, nothing was ever in my junk folder.

I did try AVAST free home edition this morning, and just like the other ones I tried to download and it said I did not have permission, I then uninstalled AVAST and re-installed it.

I suppose every 3 months now I will have do this, but at least I figured out the problem........is a real pain tough as I had to wait 2 hours while it scanned.

Malwarebytes, is this something else I can download?

thanks again IT boss!:-4

thanks for your help
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

spot;1251738 wrote: Odie, this is an attempt at giving good advice though I doubt whether it'll be accepted as such. It's something I learned when I started out in computing and it's saved me a stack of time and effort.

In a situation where the rest of the world gets the expected result and you get an error, the error is the result of a mistake you're making, it's not the result of a problem out there in the world itself.

if you can manage to grasp that - and it took me a while to grasp it - you'll save a lot of time fixing your problems.

The answers you need are in this thread, all you need do is read it without blinkers.

is this a puzzle?:yh_rotfl

a test?:yh_rotfl

the answers were not here.:rolleyes:
spot

Avast anti-virus

Post by spot »

Odie;1251890 wrote: is this a puzzle?:yh_rotfl

There are none so blind as those who think it's pointless to look.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Avast anti-virus

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1251890 wrote: is this a puzzle?:yh_rotfl

Yes, it's a puzzle and we need answers to get to the bottom of it.

We need to find out what it is that is blocking you and at which point in the process it's happening.

It is possible that you already have a virus that has infected your existing antivirus and is blocking the installation of any other. It is possible that you have a duff setting in your firewall or browser. There are several other possibilities but we cannot know or help you if you don't give us more information.
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1251895 wrote: Yes, it's a puzzle and we need answers to get to the bottom of it.

We need to find out what it is that is blocking you and at which point in the process it's happening.

It is possible that you already have a virus that has infected your existing antivirus and is blocking the installation of any other. It is possible that you have a duff setting in your firewall or browser. There are several other possibilities but we cannot know or help you if you don't give us more information.

I'm not sure Bryn, all know is that once I uninstalled AVAST and downloaded this time.....everything was alright.

Maybe on my computer that was a good thing that I was not able to download the others, as I already did have AVAST there...even though it had stopped working as I needed a key code.......the installation was still there.
Peg

Avast anti-virus

Post by Peg »

Peg;1251630 wrote: Avira or AVG?

Got mine all registered. :D
Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Peg;1253213 wrote: Got mine all registered. :D

lucky you, I registered 4 times, no email was sent.

long story short...had to uninstall and re-install.:-5:-5
Snowfire

Avast anti-virus

Post by Snowfire »

I think it important to say that you should only run one anti-virus on your pc at any time. Two anti spyware programmes are ok but anti-virus programmes conflict
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Avast anti-virus

Post by CARLA »

Your running VISTA you have to give it permission to download. If your aren't an administrator on your machine you will never be able to allow anything or give permissions to software of anykind.

I you have popup blockers installed you need to turn it off to download software. I don't know what your IT person does for you, but showing you how to do simple steps to complete processes would be to your advantage. My guess is you have all your security levels set over the top high. You can't function in that environment to many road blocks lower them.

Multiple antivirus software serves no purpose whatsoever they cause problems. You only need 1 antivirus software and 1 spam software nothing more. You need to have your browser security at medium to medium high level, turn off your browsers popup blocker or at minimum give it guideline on what to block or it will block every thing.

HERE IS A REGISTRATION KEY YOU CAN USE FOR 14MONTHS I received it in 5 seconds of filling out the form:

Your license key is:

---------- cut here, or copy and paste ----------

W71128938H1400A0911-6XS20SKM

[QUOTE]I did try AVAST free home edition this morning, and just like the other ones I tried to download and it said I did not have permission, I then uninstalled AVAST and re-installed it.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Odie

Avast anti-virus

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1253390 wrote: I think it important to say that you should only run one anti-virus on your pc at any time. Two anti spyware programmes are ok but anti-virus programmes conflict

I only had the one.
Nomad

Avast anti-virus

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;1251693 wrote:

I paid for and downloaded this last week but Norton says its rogue security. I asked for my $ back but Im getting the "business" from them.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Avast anti-virus

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;1253397 wrote: Your running VISTA you have to give it permission to download. If your aren't an administrator on your machine you will never be able to allow anything or give permissions to software of anykind.

I you have popup blockers installed you need to turn it off to download software. I don't know what your IT person does for you, but showing you how to do simple steps to complete processes would be to your advantage. My guess is you have all your security levels set over the top high. You can't function in that environment to many road blocks lower them.

Multiple antivirus software serves no purpose whatsoever they cause problems. You only need 1 antivirus software and 1 spam software nothing more. You need to have your browser security at medium to medium high level, turn off your browsers popup blocker or at minimum give it guideline on what to block or it will block every thing.

HERE IS A REGISTRATION KEY YOU CAN USE FOR 14MONTHS I received it in 5 seconds of filling out the form:

Your license key is:

W71128938H1400A0911-6XS20SKM

Wow oddy...muka poo just got all IT on you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Avast anti-virus

Post by spot »

Nomad;1253969 wrote: I paid for and downloaded this last week but Norton says its rogue security. I asked for my $ back but Im getting the "business" from them.

Malwarebytes.org is free for domestic use. Re: NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2009 VS AVAST PROFESSIONAL VS Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.40 discusses the conflict between Norton and Malwarebytes' professional edition. All the references to using Malwarebytes in this and other threads on FG have been to the free domestic package which has no such conflicts. No combination of real-time scanners can be expected to work on a single machine. The free version of Malwarebytes has no real-time scanner, the commercial paid version does.
CARLA

Avast anti-virus

Post by CARLA »

Norton can call it what they want. Trust me Nomie there isn't anyone in the business that I know that doesn't use MALWAREBYTES. You can call it what you want but when it comes to getting the trogan's, malware, and just plain ugly stuff that takes over your machine noting does it better that MALWAREBYTES, nothing. Your jump to the professional edition might be the problem you would have been just fine with the free version it does the job. I hope you get your money back. ;) There may be away around the block by NORTON in your norton settings you can't run 2 spyware programs at the same time. It is the real time scanning that is the issue turn it off for MALWAREBYTES and run the scans manually yourself.

The programs to worry about are called scareware that prompt you to purchase or your machine will be infected with viruses. They install themselves on your PC with one intention only that is to get your money.

The five most commonly reported rogue security applications during the study were SpywareGuard 2008, AntiVirus 2008, AntiVirus 2009, Antivirus 2010, Spyware Secure and XP AntiVirus. Malwarebytes will remove them no problem just keep it update free version or the paid version not will protect you if you don't keep it updated.

[QUOTE]Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLA

I paid for and downloaded this last week but Norton says its rogue security. I asked for my $ back but Im getting the "business" from them.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Computers Internet”