The Christmas Present Genie

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

The Christmas Present Genie wants to know what you would really really like for Christmas for yourself.

If money were no object and you could have absolutely anything in the world (or even outside of it) it doesn't even have to be a material item, it could be a hope, a wish, a dream.

If you could tell the Christmas Present Genie your hearts deepest desire, what would you really REALLY love to get for Christmas?

(You can tell us what you'd like to find under the tree too.) :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I would just like my family to be together at Christmas and free from stress and trouble, that has been caused by other people.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Peg

Post by Peg »

I'd like to have one more Christmas with both my parents.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

A lovely fox fur coat (the real kind), some lovely books to read & not Sarah Palin trash...I'm talking really good books...I can be such a bookworm sometimes and of course some perenial garden books with bird feeders, etc.:wah:
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Usta wish for my x wifey to beat her cancer. It's now in remission. I now want my great grandbrats to grow up to be strong, healthy conservative republicans.:D
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I'd personally like to travel the universe, observing the reactions, without the ability to instantaneously be places(I wouldn't want to miss anything) all the while having enough time to observe all of it. Obviously being omnipresent among all of you lovely people at the same time. :yh_wink :yh_kiss <------For the ladies
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Angels descending from the heavens, gilded wings and golden halos coming with message from the Almighty that the Vikings will crush their opponents with merciless vengeance and the world shall weep with bliss.
I AM AWESOME MAN
sharedfastlane

Post by sharedfastlane »

World travel baby!

What about you?
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

My eldest daughter to be rid of her excema, my youngest to be rid of her Asthma and the debters to pay up in husbands business.

An Iphone for under the tree please:-6
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Nomad;1264800 wrote: Angels descending from the heavens, gilded wings and golden halos coming with message from the Almighty that the Vikings will crush their opponents with merciless vengeance and the world shall weep with bliss.

Feel better now, Nomie? :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

My Christmas wish would be to spend Christmas Eve in Maryland with my Dad and my siblings. Then, spend Christmas Day with my children and grandchildren in North Dakota. Ofcourse, Hubby would be with me. :-4

I can only dream.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Ian;1264815 wrote: Peace on Earth and a selection box.

Mmmmm that sounds gooooood! :wah:

Last year my Nan was in a home for respite care so wasn't able to spend Christmas with us (we went to see her but it's not the same). We lost her in June so I'd love just one more Christmas to spoil her, cook for her and be completely knackered after listening to her yap all day long!

And a holiday to New Zealand too :-6
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Is this any relation to the Diaper Genie? was just wondering:wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

just a peaceful quiet Christmas is all I want.
Life is just to short for drama.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Chezzie;1264828 wrote: My eldest daughter to be rid of her excema, my youngest to be rid of her Asthma and the debters to pay up in husbands business.

Oh Chezzie - asthma and exzema.. sigh.. we have lots of stuff in common, Hon!! I'm sending you an extra big hug.

Gee I'd like to do away with misery and suffering and illness and hunger and war and all that jazz. I'll settle for a hug from my nearest and dearest.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Lenn

Post by Lenn »

Alas, I don't have Christmas, because there's no such tradition in my family. However, if I could have one, I would like to get a chance to continue my studies in the USA or in the UK. It has always been my deepest dream, so far has not come true... mostly due to my lack of courage regarding my language abilities.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Chezzie;1264828 wrote: My eldest daughter to be rid of her excema, my youngest to be rid of her Asthma and the debters to pay up in husbands business.

My daughter also has chronic eczema and chronic asthma. :(

If you ever find anything that helps either condition, please could you let me know? :)
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

qsducks;1265386 wrote: Is this any relation to the Diaper Genie? was just wondering:wah:

I don't know what a diaper genie is. :confused:
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I would love to be given tickets to see Les Miserables. It's been soooo long since I last saw it. :(

A weekend and dinner in a posh London hotel would be a wonderful bonus too! ;) :D
minks

Post by minks »

Rapunzel;1265645 wrote: My daughter also has chronic eczema and chronic asthma. :(

If you ever find anything that helps either condition, please could you let me know? :)

Wow my youngest has chronic exzema too, takes a steroid for when it gets really bad. It helps keep it at bay at times but was told it will never go away. I can find the name of it if you like but sadly its a steroid :(

My wish wow really and truly right now, I nice job offer at a GOOD place to work.

What I would like to see under the tree, gosh the last few Diana Gabaldon books for my collection. And a hunky man to read the books to me at bed time ahahahahahahahahahahaha
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

minks;1265649 wrote: Wow my youngest has chronic exzema too, takes a steroid for when it gets really bad. It helps keep it at bay at times but was told it will never go away. I can find the name of it if you like but sadly its a steroid :(

My wish wow really and truly right now, I nice job offer at a GOOD place to work.

What I would like to see under the tree, gosh the last few Diana Gabaldon books for my collection. And a hunky man to read the books to me at bed time ahahahahahahahahahahaha

If it's a little pink tablet, it's Prednisolone. Yes my daughter has that too and she rubs steroid cream onto her skin every night. Too much steroid thins the skin and damages the kidneys but she's covered in it. Her legs, arms, back, front, neck and face. Her skin is covered in scabs where she scratches until her skin bleeds. Poor baby. It's horrible and the doctors can't seem to treat it, except with steroids that don't work. :(:(:(

Hey Minks, I've got most of Diana Gabaldon's books too! :)

I'm in love with Jamie Fraser and would LOVE to find him in my stocking on Christmas morning! :D

My other favourite author is Barbara Erskine. I LOVE her books. Have you ever tried them? Being a fan of DG you might enjoy them. :):-6

I just love the whole time-travel genre. :-4
minks

Post by minks »

Rapunzel;1265685 wrote: If it's a little pink tablet, it's Prednisolone. Yes my daughter has that too and she rubs steroid cream onto her skin every night. Too much steroid thins the skin and damages the kidneys but she's covered in it. Her legs, arms, back, front, neck and face. Her skin is covered in scabs where she scratches until her skin bleeds. Poor baby. It's horrible and the doctors can't seem to treat it, except with steroids that don't work. :(:(:(

Hey Minks, I've got most of Diana Gabaldon's books too! :)

I'm in love with Jamie Fraser and would LOVE to find him in my stocking on Christmas morning! :D

My other favourite author is Barbara Erskine. I LOVE her books. Have you ever tried them? Being a fan of DG you might enjoy them. :):-6

I just love the whole time-travel genre. :-4

Jamie Jamie Jamie yes my dream man indeed, please yes I would let him read me bedtime stories hehehe....

Yes I have fallen behind in my DG books I have not read any of the Sir John books yet and a couple of the last ones from the Outlander series, gotta start all over.

I met her in person a couple years ago at a book signing she is such a lovely person.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

AussiePam;1265442 wrote: Oh Chezzie - asthma and exzema.. sigh.. we have lots of stuff in common, Hon!! I'm sending you an extra big hug.

Rapunzel;1265645 wrote: My daughter also has chronic eczema and chronic asthma. :(

minks;1265649 wrote: Wow my youngest has chronic exzema too, takes a steroid for when it gets really bad. It helps keep it at bay at times but was told it will never go away. I can find the name of it if you like but sadly its a steroid :(

Have you all ruled out food allergies? Other than that stress, but that's not so easy to get rid of. I have had eczema since childhood, it is mostly under control without the use of steroids now, although I do take a lot of anti-histamines to stop the itch. It's a horrible uncomfortable condition that no one really understands unless you suffer with it, it can be incredibly painful too. :(
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Betty Boop;1265708 wrote: Have you all ruled out food allergies? Other than that stress, but that's not so easy to get rid of. I have had eczema since childhood, it is mostly under control without the use of steroids now, although I do take a lot of anti-histamines to stop the itch. It's a horrible uncomfortable condition that no one really understands unless you suffer with it, it can be incredibly painful too. :(

I keep telling my daughter not to scratch and she tells me how impossible that is. I've recently developed an eczema rash on my feet of all places! I think it was a new soap (Asda's own!) and have since changed back, but it's taking blooming ages to clear up and the intense desire to scratch is unbelievable! I never realised how awful it was! :-5

My daughters tutor said she had eczema badly when she was younger and it was because of her intake of sugar! I can believe that with my daughter who is the Queen of Coke and guzzles tons of the stuff! I keep telling her to ease up and she has a bit, but I can't wean her off the darn stuff! She has to go to the hospital to do the skin prick test where they put little drops of everything on your skin and see which you react to.

Digressing slightly, it was Healthy Eating day at school today and we had a lovely chap in to talk to us. Very sexy Irish brogue he had too! :-4 He showed us 13 cubes of sugar, which is how much sugar is in one can of coke! And 19 cubes in a fruit shoot! Apparently it's the WORST fruit drink you can buy - and all the kids have it in their lunch boxes! He showed us a handful of crunchy nut cornflakes and a bag with 17 grams of sugar in, which is how much sugar was in the handful of crunchy nut cornflakes! And he said no-one eats one handful of cereal, they eat at least 4 or 5 times that, which means 4 or 5 bags of sugar!

Worst of all was the packet of crisps. He showed us half a glass of oil and said that a packet of crisps contained 5% potato and ALL this oil! I was shocked! He stuck his finger in a packet of lard and scooped up a huge dollop of lard, held it out to the kids and said "Would you eat this?" They all said "Ewwwww" and backed away, but he told them "This is what you are eating in every packet of crisps!" Good grief, it's put me off blinking crisps for life!
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I want health for my family. My daughter is pregnant - a healthy pregnancy and child. My husband not to be having a heart attack today.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Thanks Girls:-4

My eldest is unique in that she was actually born with Excema, I breastfed her for 8 months hoping it would help but it didnt. As she has got older it has got worse. All her clothes/ bedsheets get bloodstained but I cant tell her to stop scratching as she would be totally tormented with it. She is on steroid creams and hydrocortisones and double base plus dermol as a substitute soap for the shower. She has to use polytar shampoo as she gets it on her scalp too. Luckily only her eyelids are affected on her face right now. She also takes an anti hystamine daily to help with the itch. It gets infected alot from scratching and then she has anti biotics or steroids. Poor bugga.

The youngest's asthma has been under control for well over a year now. She takes 2 puffs of purple puffer morning and night plus a loratadine anti histamine and she takes a Montelukast tablet every night before bed. She also has allergic reactions to most animals except dogs. Horses being the worst along with rabbits and guinea pigs/hamsters.

Its hereditary, their dad has both the excema and asthma, we have tried umpteen things to see if it helped but its like a needle in a haystack.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Rapunzel;1265789 wrote: I keep telling my daughter not to scratch and she tells me how impossible that is. I've recently developed an eczema rash on my feet of all places! I think it was a new soap (Asda's own!) and have since changed back, but it's taking blooming ages to clear up and the intense desire to scratch is unbelievable! I never realised how awful it was! :-5

My daughters tutor said she had eczema badly when she was younger and it was because of her intake of sugar! I can believe that with my daughter who is the Queen of Coke and guzzles tons of the stuff! I keep telling her to ease up and she has a bit, but I can't wean her off the darn stuff! She has to go to the hospital to do the skin prick test where they put little drops of everything on your skin and see which you react to.

Digressing slightly, it was Healthy Eating day at school today and we had a lovely chap in to talk to us. Very sexy Irish brogue he had too! :-4 He showed us 13 cubes of sugar, which is how much sugar is in one can of coke! And 19 cubes in a fruit shoot! Apparently it's the WORST fruit drink you can buy - and all the kids have it in their lunch boxes! He showed us a handful of crunchy nut cornflakes and a bag with 17 grams of sugar in, which is how much sugar was in the handful of crunchy nut cornflakes! And he said no-one eats one handful of cereal, they eat at least 4 or 5 times that, which means 4 or 5 bags of sugar!

Worst of all was the packet of crisps. He showed us half a glass of oil and said that a packet of crisps contained 5% potato and ALL this oil! I was shocked! He stuck his finger in a packet of lard and scooped up a huge dollop of lard, held it out to the kids and said "Would you eat this?" They all said "Ewwwww" and backed away, but he told them "This is what you are eating in every packet of crisps!" Good grief, it's put me off blinking crisps for life!

Yes, I know that about coke, it's scary, coke is also full of wheat derivatives and has been a big no no for me for years. Processed foods are full of all sorts of crap sadly. Most of what I cook is now unprocessed as I can't touch it, I'm not prepared to cook two meals so my children eat more or less the same diet as me now. It's doing them good, both have always been a bit prone to outbreaks of eczema throughout their younger years but it's not often they suffer now. I can generally tell when they've overdosed on junk food as they flare up.

I hope the patch tests work, I didn't have much faith in them, they didn't highlight my main allergies of wheat and gluten. Maybe you could ask that the dermatologist takes blood samples and checks her for what is actually celiac disease, it certainly wouldn't hurt to rule it out. The other major trigger for eczema is dairy products.

On another tack, have you always had pets in your household? Just thinking of the rabbits, has your daughters skin been worse since you've had them? Or indeed her asthma? It's a pain that asthma and eczema go hand in hand, get me anywhere near cats and I start sneezing and wheezing.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Chezzie;1266134 wrote: Thanks Girls:-4

My eldest is unique in that she was actually born with Excema, I breastfed her for 8 months hoping it would help but it didnt. As she has got older it has got worse. All her clothes/ bedsheets get bloodstained but I cant tell her to stop scratching as she would be totally tormented with it. She is on steroid creams and hydrocortisones and double base plus dermol as a substitute soap for the shower. She has to use polytar shampoo as she gets it on her scalp too. Luckily only her eyelids are affected on her face right now. She also takes an anti hystamine daily to help with the itch. It gets infected alot from scratching and then she has anti biotics or steroids. Poor bugga.

The youngest's asthma has been under control for well over a year now. She takes 2 puffs of purple puffer morning and night plus a loratadine anti histamine and she takes a Montelukast tablet every night before bed. She also has allergic reactions to most animals except dogs. Horses being the worst along with rabbits and guinea pigs/hamsters.

Its hereditary, their dad has both the excema and asthma, we have tried umpteen things to see if it helped but its like a needle in a haystack.

Ouch chezzie, your poor daughter :-1:-1. The face has to be the worst, you can't cover it like you can hide away the rest of your body. My dad had both eczema and asthma too and I suspect that is where mine came from too. Although now, as a family we are convinced that maybe he was also allergic to the wheat and gluten.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

My family too, eczema and asthma. I had both severely as a child as well - clear on the eczema now, but still have to watch the asthma. My son has pretty much grown out of the asthma now (can't tell you how many times we carted him to hospital in the middle of the night... all prednisoned up)... but is under the treatment of an immunologist still for the eczema.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Betty Boop;1266138 wrote: Yes, I know that about coke, it's scary, coke is also full of wheat derivatives and has been a big no no for me for years. Processed foods are full of all sorts of crap sadly. Most of what I cook is now unprocessed as I can't touch it, I'm not prepared to cook two meals so my children eat more or less the same diet as me now. It's doing them good, both have always been a bit prone to outbreaks of eczema throughout their younger years but it's not often they suffer now. I can generally tell when they've overdosed on junk food as they flare up.

I hope the patch tests work, I didn't have much faith in them, they didn't highlight my main allergies of wheat and gluten. Maybe you could ask that the dermatologist takes blood samples and checks her for what is actually celiac disease, it certainly wouldn't hurt to rule it out. The other major trigger for eczema is dairy products.

On another tack, have you always had pets in your household? Just thinking of the rabbits, has your daughters skin been worse since you've had them? Or indeed her asthma? It's a pain that asthma and eczema go hand in hand, get me anywhere near cats and I start sneezing and wheezing.

Processed foods ARE full of crap sadly. I always used to cook proper evening meals but tbh, I am SO knackered at the end of the day that dinner these days tends to be whatever I can shove in a microwave! I cook at weekends but my day is so busy and I'm on my feet from 6am until about 6pm or more, and I just don't have the energy to spend an hour cooking. On top of which I usually bring home marking to do!

My daughter was a chronic 'brittle' asthmatic from babyhood and was even on life support when she was very ill. The doctors and nurses assured me she would grow out of it by the time she was 7, then 9, then 10, etc. Eventually, at 14, her asthma eased off. Instead of using nebulisers and nebuhalers 4 times a day she went down to puffers once a day and for the longest time she didn't even need that!

But it was about that time that her eczema flared up! She has always had a little eczema in the folds of her arms, backs of knees, ankles, etc. When she went to secondary school she was very badly bullied. So badly that I ended up pulling her out and home schooling her for a while. The bullying had gone on for so long that she became very depressed and started scratching herself. She scratched constantly and her poor arms and legs and even her face were just so badly scratched that all you could see were scabs from where she had made it bleed, you couldn't see ANY skin at all. People would stare at her, although I don't think she ever realised why. I went through so many different skin care treatments and, like Chezzie, I have buckets of dermol, double base, oilatum and various steroid creams and hydrocortisones all around the house.

She started college this September and luckily her face is now clear although her arms and legs are still badly scratched although nowhere near as bad as they were! The other kids on her course have been very kind to her and none of them, as far as I know, have commented on her skin, which is great as I was so worried they would! The college have given her boxes of disposable gloves to wear when she does cookery or motor vehicle maintenance as the ingredients or chemicals can damage her skin! (Bizarre choices I know, but she chose them! :wah: )

Her tutor commented that the sugar in coke could be a factor and I think she's right. When my daughter was home-schooled and suffering the after-effects of all that bullying she started drinking loads of coke. It's always in the house as it's all that hubby will ever drink! :-5 She doesn't eat much, she never has. So even though I hate her drinking so much coke, her life at that point was so sh*t that I wanted her to have at least something in life that she could enjoy - and that something was coke!

Now that she's at college I give her money for lunch every day and she always buys a bottle of coke. But she used to drink coke all day long and now it's just one small bottle per day at college. She has some in the evenings, but I buy small bottles, not large ones and I also buy fruit juices (still high in sugar! :-5 ) and banana milk and water. At least the milk has calcium in! She likes yogurt drinks too. Her skin is gradually improving as there is less sugar in her system, although it's still bad it's not as bad as it was! I'm hoping she'll grow out of her sugar addiction.

When she was small we were told she was allergic to animal dander (dead skin flakes) from dogs, cats and horses, so she never went near animals, never went on the school trip to the farm, etc. (Because she went from being well at 12 noon to being on a life support machine at 12 midnight, I know that she can get so sick so fast and that the teachers wouldn't realise if she became unwell and they wouldn't get an ambulance to her fast enough!) So we've never had pets at all.

Then at 14 she started to improve and that summer we went to the New Forest Show where they show all kinds of animals including farm animals and they have displays and marquees etc. It's a great day out. We looked around the rabbit tent at the rabbits on display and realised you could buy rabbits at one end of the marquee. We went to look and saw these 2 cute baby dutch bunnies which the kids loved! The lady let them out and they ran up to the kids and nuzzled them. Then the lady told me that the breeder had left them for the 3 day show and not supplied them with food or water for the 3 days! She was also a breeder and she had given them food and water from her supplies and feeding bowls and shelter etc. Well, what could I do??? I had 2 innocent little faces pleading with me for a rabbit and my heart was broken that these cute little buns had been deserted by their owner. I ask you, what could I do??? :o

So, I gave in. Under the sternest of warnings that if her asthma was affected even in the slightest, then the bunnies would have to go! I'd find a good home, but they'd be gone! I loved the bunnies but I loved them more! They nodded fervently and agreed. The bunnies didn't even have a box, the lady had to find me one. I bought a starter pack of food, bowls, instructions, etc, and thats how the bunnies came to live with us! And so far, touch wood, we haven't had any trouble with them.

Her asthma is worse at the moment but that's because the weather is so appalling and the house we live in is so damp! We're looking to move because it's such a sh*tty house! Hopefully somewhere warm, insulated and damp free will help her improve too! Fingers crossed! :)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Rapunzel;1266159 wrote: Processed foods ARE full of crap sadly. I always used to cook proper evening meals but tbh, I am SO knackered at the end of the day that dinner these days tends to be whatever I can shove in a microwave! I cook at weekends but my day is so busy and I'm on my feet from 6am until about 6pm or more, and I just don't have the energy to spend an hour cooking. On top of which I usually bring home marking to do!

My daughter was a chronic 'brittle' asthmatic from babyhood and was even on life support when she was very ill. The doctors and nurses assured me she would grow out of it by the time she was 7, then 9, then 10, etc. Eventually, at 14, her asthma eased off. Instead of using nebulisers and nebuhalers 4 times a day she went down to puffers once a day and for the longest time she didn't even need that!

But it was about that time that her eczema flared up! She has always had a little eczema in the folds of her arms, backs of knees, ankles, etc. When she went to secondary school she was very badly bullied. So badly that I ended up pulling her out and home schooling her for a while. The bullying had gone on for so long that she became very depressed and started scratching herself. She scratched constantly and her poor arms and legs and even her face were just so badly scratched that all you could see were scabs from where she had made it bleed, you couldn't see ANY skin at all. People would stare at her, although I don't think she ever realised why. I went through so many different skin care treatments and, like Chezzie, I have buckets of dermol, double base, oilatum and various steroid creams and hydrocortisones all around the house.

She started college this September and luckily her face is now clear although her arms and legs are still badly scratched although nowhere near as bad as they were! The other kids on her course have been very kind to her and none of them, as far as I know, have commented on her skin, which is great as I was so worried they would! The college have given her boxes of disposable gloves to wear when she does cookery or motor vehicle maintenance as the ingredients or chemicals can damage her skin! (Bizarre choices I know, but she chose them! :wah: )

Her tutor commented that the sugar in coke could be a factor and I think she's right. When my daughter was home-schooled and suffering the after-effects of all that bullying she started drinking loads of coke. It's always in the house as it's all that hubby will ever drink! :-5 She doesn't eat much, she never has. So even though I hate her drinking so much coke, her life at that point was so sh*t that I wanted her to have at least something in life that she could enjoy - and that something was coke!

Now that she's at college I give her money for lunch every day and she always buys a bottle of coke. But she used to drink coke all day long and now it's just one small bottle per day at college. She has some in the evenings, but I buy small bottles, not large ones and I also buy fruit juices (still high in sugar! :-5 ) and banana milk and water. At least the milk has calcium in! She likes yogurt drinks too. Her skin is gradually improving as there is less sugar in her system, although it's still bad it's not as bad as it was! I'm hoping she'll grow out of her sugar addiction.

When she was small we were told she was allergic to animal dander (dead skin flakes) from dogs, cats and horses, so she never went near animals, never went on the school trip to the farm, etc. (Because she went from being well at 12 noon to being on a life support machine at 12 midnight, I know that she can get so sick so fast and that the teachers wouldn't realise if she became unwell and they wouldn't get an ambulance to her fast enough!) So we've never had pets at all.

Then at 14 she started to improve and that summer we went to the New Forest Show where they show all kinds of animals including farm animals and they have displays and marquees etc. It's a great day out. We looked around the rabbit tent at the rabbits on display and realised you could buy rabbits at one end of the marquee. We went to look and saw these 2 cute baby dutch bunnies which the kids loved! The lady let them out and they ran up to the kids and nuzzled them. Then the lady told me that the breeder had left them for the 3 day show and not supplied them with food or water for the 3 days! She was also a breeder and she had given them food and water from her supplies and feeding bowls and shelter etc. Well, what could I do??? I had 2 innocent little faces pleading with me for a rabbit and my heart was broken that these cute little buns had been deserted by their owner. I ask you, what could I do??? :o

So, I gave in. Under the sternest of warnings that if her asthma was affected even in the slightest, then the bunnies would have to go! I'd find a good home, but they'd be gone! I loved the bunnies but I loved them more! They nodded fervently and agreed. The bunnies didn't even have a box, the lady had to find me one. I bought a starter pack of food, bowls, instructions, etc, and thats how the bunnies came to live with us! And so far, touch wood, we haven't had any trouble with them.

Her asthma is worse at the moment but that's because the weather is so appalling and the house we live in is so damp! We're looking to move because it's such a sh*tty house! Hopefully somewhere warm, insulated and damp free will help her improve too! Fingers crossed! :)

Your description of her coming through school being stared at brings back memories for me, kids are incredibly cruel :-1 I'm pleased she's with a more mature bunch at college. I hope she can start to pull it all under control soon if only for her own self esteem. I know by my late teens I had got mine under control and I was then able to be freer in what I wore and I was just generally really comfortable in my skin, and I mean that physically, it really is uncomfortable to be scabby, flaky and itchy.

Maybe it would be worth looking into a shampoo you can use on the rabbits to reduce their dander, it apparently works with dogs and cats for allergy sufferers, it's worth a try.

This is my second year at uni now and I don't get to cook from scratch as much as I was. Our meals consist of quick things as I haven't got the time or the energy to stand and cook for hours. Occasionally I throw processed foods out the freezer at the children but it's an absolute no no for me and I make do with a wheat free cereal instead. Not the best food habits going on around here either but I am trying to quit making myself feel guilty over it just as you must!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I'd like a years supply of Kellys Cornish Icecream, it's rather lush and delicious.

Also, someone to read all my books to me :D
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Betty Boop;1266163 wrote: Your description of her coming through school being stared at brings back memories for me, kids are incredibly cruel :-1 I'm pleased she's with a more mature bunch at college. I hope she can start to pull it all under control soon if only for her own self esteem. I know by my late teens I had got mine under control and I was then able to be freer in what I wore and I was just generally really comfortable in my skin, and I mean that physically, it really is uncomfortable to be scabby, flaky and itchy.

Maybe it would be worth looking into a shampoo you can use on the rabbits to reduce their dander, it apparently works with dogs and cats for allergy sufferers, it's worth a try.

This is my second year at uni now and I don't get to cook from scratch as much as I was. Our meals consist of quick things as I haven't got the time or the energy to stand and cook for hours. Occasionally I throw processed foods out the freezer at the children but it's an absolute no no for me and I make do with a wheat free cereal instead. Not the best food habits going on around here either but I am trying to quit making myself feel guilty over it just as you must!

Lol! It's like a double thread we've got going on here! Christmas wishes and eczema. But what the heck! I like it! :wah::wah::wah:

Kids at school can be incredibly cruel! ESPECIALLY girls! She wasn't teased about her eczema because she didn't have it then. She was teased by a girl she knew, a total bittch, who was jealous of my daughters beautiful long strawberry blonde hair. That jealousy (which the girl admitted to in primary school) followed her to secondary school, where the girl was allowed to run riot and be as foul and vicious as she wanted! Making my daughters life hell in the process!

But because of this she does have very low self-esteem and struggles to be part of the group. :-1 She's on a foundation course at the moment, which covers a lot of different areas. Next year she can specialise in art and so will mix with more like-minded arty people.

Thanks I have stuff to keep the buns as clean as poss. :) Luckily she doesn't seem to be allergic to their dander.

It IS difficult with food as you want to do the best for your kids. I used to cook dinner every night but once my daughter started growing out of the asthma I decided I needed time for 'me' which always sounds so terribly selfish but I just felt the time had come to do something to move me forward.

Like you, I went to uni when the kids were young. If my daughter was poorly I would take her with me and people at Uni got to know her. Some classes were scheduled on Saturdays and the kids always came with me. I took lunchboxes for them and quiet toys and gameboys. The professors commented on how good and well-behaved they were! heeheehee

It was SO hard doing it with kids! I wanted to go when I left school but my mother said education was NOT for girls and that I should get married and raise a family instead! She said she would refuse to support me! I just wish I'd known I didn't need her support! If I had gone then it would have been free, whereas now I still owe £16,000 in tuition fees!

Although I don't always cook them delicious nutritious meals anymore, I now have money to buy them the clothes, books and computer games they want instead! I don't think working mums can ever get it right. It's always a balance. You do your best and it's all you CAN do. And it helps the children to grow up too. It teaches them that they can't always be waited on hand and foot, that you need to work for what you want, that you need to study to get on in life, that everything is a balance or compromise. And if you explain things to them, that this is your decision and this is why you made it, then they are very understanding and they are comfortable with the routines they get to know. My son can cook basic meals now and my daughter is slowly learning. They know they get the things they want and if I can't afford much at Christmas they know I'll also get them something for their birthdays or Easter or for the summer holidays to keep them amused. So they get the things they want, but they are spread out through the year and they are happy with that.

Likewise, they choose the food they enjoy, they will try something new. They know they have to try new food but I don't mind if they don't like it, so long as they try it. They're very good kids, settled kids, but it's all a balance, always.

Don't feel guilty for not always cooking for them BB, they are learning some very valuable life lessons from you that will stand them in good stead in later life!

It must be hard for you having to eat wheat and gluten free foods. Bread, especially, is one of the worst foods you can eat, so you're better off without it. You must make sure you eat sensibly though! I used to make loads of vegetable soup. I'd whizz it up and take it in a thermos to college as it's pretty filling but doesn't make you sleepy or dozy-headed. I also used to stay up late working on assignments and used to eat it then too. I think I should do that again!
Barman

Post by Barman »

Someone to pull my socks on in the morning, my back tends to be a little stiff first thing.:) Apart from that i have it all, wonderful wife, great kids, my own house (which counts for sod all really), a bloody fantastic car, money in the bank, no debt, go where i like when i like. What more can i ask for. Maybe a bottle of Oban, hard to find at times.:)
Odie

Post by Odie »

Barman;1266237 wrote: Someone to pull my socks on in the morning, my back tends to be a little stiff first thing.:) Apart from that i have it all, wonderful wife, great kids, my own house (which counts for sod all really), a bloody fantastic car, money in the bank, no debt, go where i like when i like. What more can i ask for. Maybe a bottle of Oban, hard to find at times.:)

bragger!:yh_rotfl

seriously, I am so happy for you and your family, its not often you hear this, its usually gimme gimme gimme.:rolleyes:

I can take your socks off if you can shovel my driveway?:sneaky::yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “General Chit Chat”