Projection: Swiss vote to ban new minarets

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

GENEVA – Swiss voters approved a move to ban the construction of minarets in a Sunday vote on a right-wing initiative that labeled the mosque towers as symbols of militant Islam, projections by a widely respected polling institute showed.

The projections based on partial returns say Swiss swung from only 37 percent supporting the proposal a week ago to 59 percent in the actual voting.

Claude Longchamp, leader of the widely respected gfs.bern polling institute, said the projection contracted by state-owned DRS television forecasts approval of the initiative by more than half the country's 26 cantons, meaning it will become a constitutional amendment.

The nationalist Swiss People's Party describes minarets, the distinctive spires used in most countries for calls to prayer, as symbols of rising Muslim political and religious power that could eventually turn Switzerland into an Islamic nation.

Full Story Link: Projection: Swiss vote to ban new minarets - Yahoo! News
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Fascinating. I suspected that Radical Islam would have a negative effect on Islam (the moderate kind), as a religion. That's a shame, because there are plenty (read millions) of moderate Islamics that are kind, decent people.

It's just human nature, though. Just because some blacks start running a crack-house next door to you, doesn't mean all African-Americans are criminals and drug dealers.

But.... it sure does have a tendency to sway your perception.:yh_think
Ted

Post by Ted »

Perhaps the Swiss should outlaw church spires as well.

Shalom

Ted:-6
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ted;1268160 wrote: Perhaps the Swiss should outlaw church spires as well.

Shalom

That was a point made in related discussions in France. One of the fears was that the Muezzin's loudspeakered calls to prayer five times a day every day was aggressive noise pollution way in excess of a few Sunday church bells - but apparently most modern minarets are symbolic only, just decorative. The decision applied to minarets, not mosques.

Church spires are quite handy things. They were the high point of old villages. If you're into hiking like I am, and are a bit directionally challenged, they are useful navigation points.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Ted

Post by Ted »

Aussie:-6

Spires do make good direction indicators.

Shalom

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Ted;1268253 wrote: Aussie:-6

Spires do make good direction indicators.

Shalom

ROFL! I had to read that twice... but I got it!!!:D

(Church spires guide you to Heaven, right?!!!);)
Ted

Post by Ted »

Now that adds another meaning to the intent. Look at that multiple valid interpretations just as with the Bible.

Shalom

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

You've inspired me!

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “General Religious Discussions”