Mouse Problem

Peg

Mouse Problem

Post by Peg »

Here's the problem.

I had a regular mouse on my Toshiba laptop. It suddenly quit working. We tried the one that is on my husband's computer, and my computer doesn't detect it. The only one showing in the device manager is the one that's built into the laptop. I hate it. I'm having a heck of a time using it. Any suggestions on how to get it to detect a regular mouse?
CARLA

Mouse Problem

Post by CARLA »

If it's USB try another USB slot. Or reboot your machine with your husbands mouse plugged in and see if it detects it that way. USB Slots can go bad on laptops. If your laptop has an old PS2 mouse connection you can get one of those type of mouses and it should work.

Of course I'm assuming its not a driver issue or its wireless and may just need batteries.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Jazzy

Mouse Problem

Post by Jazzy »

I wish I could help you Peg. Have you called Toshiba Tech Support?
yaaarrrgg

Mouse Problem

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Sounds like a driver problem too. A possible fix (I'm assuming you're using Windows) is to look at the hardware devices, and un-install the mouse if you see it. Then when you plug it back in, it will reinstall the drivers. That will fix a lot of problems on Windows.

You might also try uninstalling and USB drivers if that doesn't work.

A more general fix is to wipe out Windows and install another operating system. :)
CARLA

Mouse Problem

Post by CARLA »

It could be a drive but most windows machine are plug and play so most drivers are on board. If it requires another driver it will prompt you.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Peg

Mouse Problem

Post by Peg »

The only mouse showing is the built in one. Guess it's better than none. I tried rebooting and it wouldn't do anything. Thought it was completely dead. Hit F12 and did the repair. It's working, but the mouse still isn't. Tried the other ports too. I think I may call Toshiba tech support.
CARLA

Mouse Problem

Post by CARLA »

Look in your device manager in my computer see if there are any yellow ? marks or x's in anything.

Also run Malware see if you have been hit with a trojan.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Nomad

Mouse Problem

Post by Nomad »

If it's USB try another USB slot. Or reboot your machine with your husbands mouse plugged in and see if it detects it that way. USB Slots can go bad on laptops. If your laptop has an old PS2 mouse connection you can get one of those type of mouses and it should work.

Of course I'm assuming its not a driver issue or its wireless and may just need batteries.

yaaarrrgg;1272051 wrote: Sounds like a driver problem too. A possible fix (I'm assuming you're using Windows) is to look at the hardware devices, and un-install the mouse if you see it. Then when you plug it back in, it will reinstall the drivers. That will fix a lot of problems on Windows.

You might also try uninstalling and USB drivers if that doesn't work.

A more general fix is to wipe out Windows and install another operating system.

It could be a drive but most windows machine are plug and play so most drivers are on board. If it requires another driver it will prompt you.

Also, look in your device manager in my computer see if there are any yellow ? marks or x's in anything.

and run Malware see if you have been hit with a trojan.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Peg

Mouse Problem

Post by Peg »

Malwarebytes came up with:

C:UsersMyNameAppDataLocalMicrosoft

Rogue.CyberSecu...

It did nothing with it. Do I remove it?
CARLA

Mouse Problem

Post by CARLA »

YES when its finished running it will have the option to show results do so then say remove all.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Peg

Mouse Problem

Post by Peg »

I removed it. My mouse still isn't working but I am getting better using the built in one. My computer is getting really sluggish about starting. It's not even a year old.
CARLA

Mouse Problem

Post by CARLA »

You need to get in touch with Toshiba those USB port should be working sounds like you may have some hardware issues. If you would like I can logon take a look around.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Peg

Mouse Problem

Post by Peg »

That's okay Carla. I already owe you big time for helping with my husband's computer. Your time off should be your time off. :-4
CARLA

Mouse Problem

Post by CARLA »

If you change your mind let me know I'm home all weekend. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

yaaarrrgg

Mouse Problem

Post by yaaarrrgg »

If you want to test for a hardware vs driver issue, you can boot another OS from the optical drive. There's a bunch of Live CD's to choose from.
Peg

Mouse Problem

Post by Peg »

Peg;1272026 wrote: Here's the problem.

I had a regular mouse on my Toshiba laptop. It suddenly quit working. We tried the one that is on my husband's computer, and my computer doesn't detect it. The only one showing in the device manager is the one that's built into the laptop. I hate it. I'm having a heck of a time using it. Any suggestions on how to get it to detect a regular mouse?

Here's the weird thing. When the power went out and came back on, my plug in mouse started working. Then when it quit again, I unplugged my computer. Plugged it back in, turned on the computer, and the mouse was working again. It works for a while, then when it quits working, I just turn it off, unplug the power cord, plug it back in, turn it on, and it works again. A bit of a pain, and mind boggling to me as why.
minks

Mouse Problem

Post by minks »

here i was all prepared to discuss how much mice like cheerio's and peanut butter.

:wah:
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
CARLA

Mouse Problem

Post by CARLA »

OK it is a USB mouse right? how old? replace the batteries buy a new mouse, or try a corded USB mouse to eliminate the USB ports as well, or a standard PS mouse if you have that connection on your laptop.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Nomad

Mouse Problem

Post by Nomad »

You have no idea !

I opened a BBQ grill box last night and about 17 mice leaped out.

My life flashed before my eyes. If I didnt have the cat like reaction of a ninja I could be dead right now.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Mouse Problem

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1292419 wrote: You have no idea !

I opened a BBQ grill box last night and about 17 mice leaped out.

My life flashed before my eyes. If I didnt have the cat like reaction of a ninja I could be dead right now.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”