Poor being turned away from free cancer screenings

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

ALBANY, N.Y. – As the economy falters and more people go without health insurance, low-income women in at least 20 states are being turned away or put on long waiting lists for free cancer screenings, according to the American Cancer Society's Cancer Action Network.

In the unofficial survey of programs for July 2008 through April 2009, the organization found that state budget strains are forcing some programs to reject people who would otherwise qualify for free mammograms and Pap smears. Just how many are turned away isn't known; in some cases, the women are screened through other programs or referred to different providers.

Story Link: Poor being turned away from free cancer screenings - Yahoo! News
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Yeah, I saw this and my first reaction was..."Hey! That's not fair to discriminate against poor people!"

But then I read a little more and I found out that they are seriously short of funds and can't service everyone, so they are doing the only logical thing they can, service the people who need it the most, specifically women over 50. That whole "poor" people being turned away thing is a misnomer. They are helping the poor, just not all of them because they can't afford it.

I hate the way the media slants news sometimes.:-2

Return to “Healthcare”