Donate to a Charity Challenge

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I'm challenging everyone to donate to a Charity

You cannot defeat me, it's quite frankly that simple

---------

On a side note I've decided to donate to any cause that will help the peoples of Thailand and their problems with Tuberculosis

I'm asking if anyone has dealt with Tuberculosis in Thailand and which site would be the best site to give money to without running the risk of completely wasting my money by virtue of scams and the true scum of the Earth

Report: Massive Social Mobilization Needed to Fight Tuberculosis in Thailand

February 14, 2007

Dr. Amara Soonthorndhada

+ 66-9-927-1952

Bangkok—A new study reveals a striking lack of social and political commitment to control tuberculosis, a leading cause of death in Thailand.

According to the study, released by Mahidol University and the Open Society Institute, there is little understanding of how TB is spread and that it can be cured. Many patients do not seek treatment because of social stigma, lack of information, and prohibitive costs. Because of these factors, some patients fail to complete treatment, leading to an increased threat of drug-resistant TB and extremely drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB).

“The general perception in Thai society and among political leaders is that TB has been completely eradicated,” said Dr. Amara Soonthorndhada, the author of the report. “ The reality is that this curable disease killed 12,000 people last year, and approximately 90,000 more will become infected this year.”

In response to the report’s findings, representatives from Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health, international donor agencies, and HIV/AIDS organizations are meeting today to discuss how to address the epidemic more effectively.

While TB rates had fallen by 50 percent from 1985 to 1991, the HIV/AIDS epidemic has fueled a dramatic resurgence of TB. The disease is also a leading cause of death for people with HIV/AIDS, although most TB cases can be cured with six months of standard treatment.

According to Dr. Soonthorndhada (biography available below), stigmatization of people living with TB and TB/HIV, and of women in particular, is a great concern. In Thailand, TB is perceived as a male disease, associated with a high-risk lifestyle and behaviors such as drinking, smoking, and an active nightlife. Women infected with TB are seen as being at odds with cultural norms and expectations of female behavior, intensifying the level of stigmatization they experience. As a result, Dr. Soonthordhada fears that women are more prone to “self-medicate” and delay seeking treatment from medical clinics.

Dr. Soonthordhada’s study, TB Policy in Thailand: A Civil Society Perspective, is part of a larger international series on TB policy in Bangladesh, Brazil, Nigeria, and Tanzania, that was published by the Open Society Institute ’s Public Health Watch project. The series highlights how TB, HIV/AIDS, and poverty combine to cause almost two million preventable deaths globally each year.

Dr. Soonthorndhada is the deputy director of Mahidol University’s Institute for Population and Social Research. Report: Massive Social Mobilization Needed to Fight Tuberculosis in Thailand | Open Society Institute

“The general perception in Thai society and among political leaders is that TB has been completely eradicated,” said Dr. Amara Soonthorndhada, the author of the report. “ The reality is that this curable disease killed 12,000 people last year, and approximately 90,000 more will become infected this year.”
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I found this website and seems like a noble one!

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/...

or...

United Nations Foundation Index

Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and Tuberculosis Care

Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has been confronted with tuberculosis since its first day of operation more than 30 years ago. In the past few years, MSF has expanded TB treatment to include patients in a growing number of projects, and the focus has shifted from disease control to patient care.

In 2004, MSF treated patients for TB in nearly 50 projects in 24 countries: Angola, Afghanistan(*), Abkhazia/Georgia, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Caucasus/Chechnya, Chad, China, Congo, DRC, Ethiopia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Nepal, Nigeria, Sudan, Somalia, Thailand, Uganda and Uzbekistan. Approximately 16,500 new TB patients were admitted in programs supported by MSF in 2004, and many more were diagnosed by MSF medical teams and referred to local TB services, some of them supported by MSF.

The settings in which MSF provides TB care vary widely:

* Chronic conflicts: MSF projects treat TB patients in chronic conflicts, including work in Abkhazia and in South Sudan, and refugee camps in Chad and in Thailand.

* Primary health care: An increasing number of patients receive TB care from MSF in health centers, for example in South Sudan, Congo, DRC, and Angola.

* Prisons: Two MSF projects offer treatment in prison settings: in Abkhazia and Abidjan/Ivory Cost.

* Multi-drug resistant TB: MSF is treating multi-drug resistant tuberculosis in Ivory Coast, Abkhazia, Thailand, and Uzbekistan.

Steps towards improving TB care recently taken in MSF projects include:

* HIV/AIDS co-infection: As TB is a major threat to people with HIV/AIDS, MSF provides TB treatment in its AIDS programs in several countries, including China, Cambodia, Kenya, Malawi, South Africa, and Zambia, and is working on integrating treatment of the two diseases in some countries in order to improve the follow up and care of co-infected patients.

* Alternative models: MSF has sought to find ways to treat patients who are difficult to follow, such as migrants or nomadic people, by reducing their need to come to a clinic. These efforts include home-based care in Cambodia and factory-based treatment in Thailand.

* Improving adherence to treatment: MSF is introducing strategies offering more flexibility to patients and at the same time guaranteeing good adherence. Self-administered treatment models have been begun with selected patients in Somalia, among co-infected patients in South Africa, and among pediatric patients in Angola. Community- or family-based direct observation has recently been introduced in Cambodia and Mozambique.

* Increasing the use of easy-to-use, pre-qualified fixed-dose combinations of TB drugs.

* Increasing the use of the WHO-recommended six-month treatment regimen(instead of eight months) within MSF projects.

* MSF is also upgrading diagnostic facilities in some countries, including introducing culture in Sudan and enhanced (fluorescence) microscopy in Cambodia and Angola, and improving follow-up of diagnosis with the use of culture, drug sensitivity testing and x-rays in Thailand, Ivory Coast, and Abkhazia.

(*) MSF withdrew from Afghanistan in August 2004 following the killing of five of its aid workers there in June 2004. MSF-USA: MSF and Tuberculosis Care

And to donate to help fight Tuberculosis...

https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.or ... =197&hbc=1
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

How to help Haiti earthquake victims
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I bought a pair of shin pads today that were made in China.

OH!,..btw I've joined a local soccer league and I'll let everyone know what position I'll be playing and inform all of you of my league scoring title if I'm fortunate enough to be the striker!!!!!!!

:yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Anyone still care about how celebrities are on television every time they donate to charity?

If so, I find that odd considering this thread has been posted for weeks with not a single response!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Rainy season could hamper Haiti's recovery

Patrick Adams

Thousands of Haitians displaced by January's earthquake are living in temporary camps and are vulnerable to the worst the wet season has in store. Patrick Adams reports from Port-au-Prince.

More than 2 months after the Haiti earthquake, relief efforts continue apace as a sense of normality creeps back onto broken streets, many of them now cleared of rubble, if not rubbish. Yet even as aid agencies settle in for the long haul and Haitians set about rebuilding what was lost, heavy rains over the next 3 months threaten to compound the crisis, putting the country's estimated 1·2 million displaced at increased risk of vector-borne and enteric diseases, including malaria, dengue fever, and acute watery diarrhoea. Rainy season could hamper Haiti's recovery : The Lancet

Glad Mexico didn't suffer the same fate as The Haitians...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Most charities are honest and accountable to their donors. Unfortunately, a few are not. AIP suggests the following pointers to help you give more effectively.

AIP's Tips for Giving Wisely to Charity
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Doctors without borders is a good group.

(shin pads for soccer-I got some for softball, they made me catcher)

I donate to a group to sponsor children to go to school in other countries already, have for decades.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

chonsigirl;1309043 wrote: Doctors without borders is a good group.

(shin pads for soccer-I got some for softball, they made me catcher)

I donate to a group to sponsor children to go to school in other countries already, have for decades.I also tried to donate using their website but for some reason my zipcode wouldn't corelate with the city I live in yet this is the address and zipcode I was given when I recently moved, so I ended up donating to Action Against Hunger.

Thanks for the reply it would allow people to feel more comfortable in donating online when they hear their money isn't being swindled.

:yh_wink :yh_kiss
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Will anyone be donating canned goods or other food items to their local resource centers for the holidays?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

We have a yearly drive at work for CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) and I currently have five charities that receive a little each payday that comes out to $120 per charity per year. I gave $50 to the Utah Food Bank two weeks ago and I usually find different animal charities throughout the year that I send money to. I sent $500 to help after the earthquake in Japan. I sent $500 to the Red Cross after Katrina.

Did I meet the challenge?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

SnoozeAgain;1376766 wrote: Did I meet the challenge?Sure...
koan

Post by koan »

I'm actually starting a charity. Eradicate Canadian Student Debt. People with extra can clear their good names by donating to clear the student debt of those children who's families couldn't afford to educate them. Watch for it. Hopefully I'll get it set up by March.

The idea goes, the wealthy write off excess wealth with donation receipt and the donations go 'across the board' towards the total student debt applied equally. We don't choose a kid to rescue, everyone gets part of it, even if it's just a $1 off their loan. I expect we'll raise quite a bit more than that though.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

koan;1376768 wrote: I'm actually starting a charity. Eradicate Canadian Student Debt. People with extra can clear their good names by donating to clear the student debt of those children who's families couldn't afford to educate them. Watch for it. Hopefully I'll get it set up by March.

The idea goes, the wealthy write off excess wealth with donation receipt and the donations go 'across the board' towards the total student debt applied equally. We don't choose a kid to rescue, everyone gets part of it, even if it's just a $1 off their loan. I expect we'll raise quite a bit more than that though.Does this apply to all students or graduates that are unemployed?
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

I'm sorry to say I can't support charities in the way of a monthly payment or anything. But every year all the different charities come round knocking at the door to collect for their charity.

I save up all my change and give them all a fair share.

I collect al my old paper and the money this charity makes on this goes back into the community.

Buying an extra pack of rice or tin of beans for foodparcels, i do that to.

I do join in to the little things, the things i can afford.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Chloe_88;1376949 wrote: I'm sorry to say I can't support charities in the way of a monthly payment or anything. But every year all the different charities come round knocking at the door to collect for their charity.

I save up all my change and give them all a fair share.

I collect al my old paper and the money this charity makes on this goes back into the community.

Buying an extra pack of rice or tin of beans for foodparcels, i do that to.

I do join in to the little things, the things i can afford.

That's the best way to do it.

I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging but the OP's 'challenge' kind of annoyed me, like none of us would even consider donating unless he showed us how. I'm frequently cranky, just ignore me.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

SnoozeAgain;1376955 wrote: That's the best way to do it.

I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging but the OP's 'challenge' kind of annoyed me, like none of us would even consider donating unless he showed us how. I'm frequently cranky, just ignore me.

:wah:

I think it's wonderfull your able to give so much to charity! Just "ignore" the OP's "challenge", you do enough for charity and more.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging but the OP's 'challenge' kind of annoyed me, like none of us would even consider donating unless he showed us how. I'm frequently cranky, just ignore me.You wouldn't know how to live without being annoyed

To be honest I've never met anyone so confident in their judgment to only be so horrendously oblivious
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I've considered it in recent years, for the tax write off.

But I prefer my own methods.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

theia

Post by theia »

You were the very last person I'd think was bragging and I totally understood why you posted what you did...I was grateful that you saved the rest of us from feeling duty bound to contribute to this thread about what and how we give to charity :-5
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

theia;1376971 wrote: You were the very last person I'd think was bragging and I totally understood why you posted what you did...I was grateful that you saved the rest of us from feeling duty bound to contribute to this thread about what and how we give to charity :-5Now let's apply that "feeling duty bound to contribute to this thread about what and how we give to charity" to those that have never given to charity and perhaps would like to know the best sites to contribute to that will leave them satisfied in knowing their money is utilized correctly...

Or perhaps those of you feeling so offended might like to know that others actually do exist
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I get a kick out of watching the expressions on the faces of those in line when the cashier of the grocery chain store asks me if I'd like to contribute a dollar to whatever scam their currently running, this week it's the Children's Miracle Network, and I look them squarely in the eye and issue my resounding "NO". I think a lot of other people would like to also say no, but are too chicken to do it, but then they probably haven't viewed the thing like I have and given it much thought until they get caught in the headlights.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1376999 wrote: I get a kick out of watching the expressions on the faces of those in line when the cashier of the grocery chain store asks me if I'd like to contribute a dollar to whatever scam their currently running, this week it's the Children's Miracle Network, and I look them squarely in the eye and issue my resounding "NO". I think a lot of other people would like to also say no, but are too chicken to do it, but then they probably haven't viewed the thing like I have and given it much thought until they get caught in the headlights.In what way is this a scam Ahso!? Do you have a link to read?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Why do I need a link? Do the math. Take all the grocery chains that participate in this begging practice, check their shopping traffic and consider most people say yes to the one dollar donation. It probably runs into at least tens of millions per day.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ahso!;1377005 wrote: Why do I need a link? Do the math. Take all the grocery chains that participate in this begging practice, check their shopping traffic and consider most people say yes to the one dollar donation. It probably runs into at least tens of millions per day.I honestly doubt that...Firstly, no one can get even the slightest idea of how many people donate that dollar without standing behind as many people in line as possible or having some sort of study that shows this, which would no doubt come from a link...How else am I to "consider most people say yes"?

Millions a day? I sincerely doubt that. Most "chains" are probably regional if anything and from my experience everyone says "no", and a very quick "no" at that...

And if this is so obvious there has to be a link at the very least, no? Why not post a link?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Partnerships < click it

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
theia

Post by theia »

K.Snyder;1376995 wrote: Now let's apply that "feeling duty bound to contribute to this thread about what and how we give to charity" to those that have never given to charity and perhaps would like to know the best sites to contribute to that will leave them satisfied in knowing their money is utilized correctly...

Or perhaps those of you feeling so offended might like to know that others actually do exist

In your opening post you wrote that you wanted to challenge everybody to donate to a charity. A few posts later you complained that your thread hadn't had a single response. Now you're saying that you are addressing those who have never given to charity :-2

I wasn't offended by your thread at all.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

theia;1377026 wrote: In your opening post you wrote that you wanted to challenge everybody to donate to a charity. A few posts later you complained that your thread hadn't had a single response. Now you're saying that you are addressing those who have never given to charity :-2

I wasn't offended by your thread at all.Perhaps it's harder to understand posts that are written vs those verbally communicated but how practical is it for someone to be serious in competing for what exact prize related to charity?

Then we have this thing where giving to charity is so rare that people actually get offended when even uttering a word regarding it and why? Wouldn't you think if giving to charities were so common that having a thread entitled "Donating to a Charity Challenge" would be anything other than an amusing title? How cynical do you have to be? I know some makes it a life of theirs to piss and moan but jesus...

If you're so fixated on my posts in this thread then perhaps there's a good reason why you'd left out the fact I asked which charities people found to be very trustworthy as well as a link to tips on how to give to respectful charities, or have you entered with a one track mind ready to spit fire?

How about a step back and then maybe we can talk about charities you find to be honorable without this sense of rarity that seems to keep people on edge so much they can't help but feel insulted by otherwise meaningless titles that has an element of appeal that I feel can equally contribute to the remedy of actually gaining ones attention instead of ignoring the fact that there are people in the world less fortunate than far too many

Or,..of course we can continue pissing and moaning, your call
theia

Post by theia »

K.Snyder;1377039 wrote: Perhaps it's harder to understand posts that are written vs those verbally communicated but how practical is it for someone to be serious in competing for what exact prize related to charity?

Then we have this thing where giving to charity is so rare that people actually get offended when even uttering a word regarding it and why? Wouldn't you think if giving to charities were so common that having a thread entitled "Donating to a Charity Challenge" would be anything other than an amusing title? How cynical do you have to be? I know some makes it a life of theirs to piss and moan but jesus...

If you're so fixated on my posts in this thread then perhaps there's a good reason why you'd left out the fact I asked which charities people found to be very trustworthy as well as a link to tips on how to give to respectful charities, or have you entered with a one track mind ready to spit fire?

How about a step back and then maybe we can talk about charities you find to be honorable without this sense of rarity that seems to keep people on edge so much they can't help but feel insulted by otherwise meaningless titles that has an element of appeal that I feel can equally contribute to the remedy of actually gaining ones attention instead of ignoring the fact that there are people in the world less fortunate than far too many

Or,..of course we can continue pissing and moaning, your call

My apologies but I can only respond to the parts of your post of which I can make sense...

You are so right there (emboldened part)

I agree, some people make it their life to piss and moan.

I wasn't responding to the whole of your thread but to the post you made in response to mine, which began "now let's apply that..."

No, I don't enter threads with a one track mind ready to spit fire.

And, sadly, that's as far as I can go.

Return to “Health Wellness”