Fingertip amputations prompt Graco stroller recall

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

WASHINGTON – About 1.5 million Graco strollers sold at Wal-Mart, Target and other major retailers are being recalled after some children's fingertips were amputated by hinges on the products.

The recall by Graco Children's Products Inc. includes certain model numbers of its Passage, Alano and Spree Strollers and Travel Systems. The Exton, Pa., company received seven reports of children placing their fingers in a stroller's canopy hinge as the canopy was being opened or closed. Five children had their fingertips severed and two children received cuts on their fingertips.

Story Link: Fingertip amputations prompt Graco stroller recall - Yahoo! News
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1283731 wrote: WASHINGTON – About 1.5 million Graco strollers sold at Wal-Mart, Target and other major retailers are being recalled after some children's fingertips were amputated by hinges on the products.

The recall by Graco Children's Products Inc. includes certain model numbers of its Passage, Alano and Spree Strollers and Travel Systems. The Exton, Pa., company received seven reports of children placing their fingers in a stroller's canopy hinge as the canopy was being opened or closed. Five children had their fingertips severed and two children received cuts on their fingertips.

Story Link: Fingertip amputations prompt Graco stroller recall - Yahoo! News

my god, those poor children!:-1

I can smell lawsuits!:D
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Post by spot »

One wonders what the solution is.

The design of anything on a folding stroller is that of a pair of scissors or garden shears. There's a bolt, there's two sliding bits of metal, and people are going snip snip snip next to a child.

Either the pushers are incompetent - doing it next to a child - or the design is flawed and the product should be banned in favour of perambulators. Try getting a pram on a bus though.

I'd go for prosecuting the pushers, myself, on the basis that if they bought the thing and read the instructions they'd know not to do it when a child's within reaching distance of the blades. Just as they'd be if it were garden shears or scissors involved.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1283736 wrote: One wonders what the solution is.

The design of anything on a folding stroller is that of a pair of scissors or garden shears. There's a bolt, there's two sliding bits of metal, and people are going snip snip snip next to a child.

Either the pushers are incompetent - doing it next to a child - or the design is flawed and the product should be banned in favour of perambulators. Try getting a pram on a bus though.

I'd go for prosecuting the pushers, myself, on the basis that if they bought the thing and read the instructions they'd know not to do it when a child's within reaching distance of the blades. Just as they'd be if it were garden shears or scissors involved.Thats interesting, but I think it goes to the intent behind the design and manufacturing of the item. If we understand the intent we can be responsible for consequences at the parental level.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I think the solution is to stop manufacturing and selling toys and get back to the old fashioned way of making them ourselves out of wood or whatever is available for our children. That would generate more interest on the part of the parents and result in a better relationship between child and parent.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Here we are - the relevant bits from the Owner's Manual:Failure to follow these warnings and the assembly instructions could result in serious injury or death.

AVOID FINGER ENTRAPMENT: Use care when folding and unfolding the stroller. Be certain the stroller is fully erected and latched before allowing your child near the stroller.

NEVER ALLOW YOUR STROLLER to be used as a toy.

READ THE MANUAL provided with your Graco carrier before using it with your stroller.

WARNING When making adjustments to the stroller seat, make sure child’s head, arms, and legs are clear of moving seat parts and stroller frame.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1283743 wrote: Here we are - the relevant bits from the Owner's Manual:Failure to follow these warnings and the assembly instructions could result in serious injury or death.

AVOID FINGER ENTRAPMENT: Use care when folding and unfolding the stroller. Be certain the stroller is fully erected and latched before allowing your child near the stroller.

NEVER ALLOW YOUR STROLLER to be used as a toy.

READ THE MANUAL provided with your Graco carrier before using it with your stroller.

WARNING When making adjustments to the stroller seat, make sure child’s head, arms, and legs are clear of moving seat parts and stroller frame.Sorry, I didn't read the story, I assumed it was a toy. By the looks of it the company has a strong defense.

Mia Copa!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1283744 wrote: Sorry, I didn't read the story, I assumed it was a toy. By the looks of it the company has a strong defense.

Mia Copa!

I agree toy versions exist and I agree there's good reasons for never buying toys. Construction kits might be an exception, children can't really be expected to have their own tooled-up workshop until they're seven or so.

What the children in the OP suffer from is inept parenting, not negligent manufacturers.

Return to “Kids Family”