Odd mobile internet connection

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I use an internet dongle during the week while I work away from home - Vodaphone 3G+. The connection wavers between poor and excellent but for some odd reason I can surf much more efficiently when the connection is poor. On the occasions its wafts up to Good or Very Good, its like being on bad dial-up

Does anyone have any clues as to why this should be the case ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bandwidth perhaps? There may be too much information coming into the phone and the bandwidth is too small. Just a guess.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Your needle's wired up backward, obviously.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

That'll be it then. I should have found out if my laptop was negative or positive earth

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Next time it gets clogged, Start Run cmd [enter]

Type netstat > /j.txt [enter]

Then type netstat -b >>j.txt [enter]

If you then run notepad, open /j.txt and copy/paste the contents to the thread we can see if there's something untoward running. It may be that it only clogs the bandwidth when there's enough of it to trigger whatever we might find.

[enter] is just my way of saying hit the enter key at the moment.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:UsersKate>netstat-b>>j.txt

'netstat-b' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:UsersKate>

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I'd never get to use the command prompt unless otherwise asked to. I suppose if you've been around computers since before Windows then it would be second nature.

Its like a dark place for me. Wouldnt hurt learning how to use it more often though

Winston Churchill
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Snowfire;1284292 wrote: I'd never get to use the command prompt unless otherwise asked to. I suppose if you've been around computers since before Windows then it would be second nature.

Its like a dark place for me. Wouldnt hurt learning how to use it more often thoughWhen you click on something you're clicking on a preset command like the one you're typing essentially. What you are now doing is the long or manual version.

I think I have that correct.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Is this phone new, Snowfire? if not how long has it been doing this? And what were you doing with the phone when it last behaved properly?

Being its windows I'm suspicious of adware and stuff like that clogging things up. But if its only sluggish during internet usage and not offline then its either got something to do with your settings somewhere or perhaps someone else is using your connection too, though thats difficult to believe.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Its not a phone, its dongle, provided by a mobile phone operator, connected to a laptop. I never expected super fast by any means but this is hardly seamless, clumsy even. Some evenings its fine, others can become a chore when you either have to refresh every other search or you get "timed out".

As I said, a "poor" connection provides reasonable surfing, even watching videos on youtube is fine. When the signal gets "good" then things clog up

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Us old IT dinosaur's remember DOS love it. I do as much as I can with CMD it is very comfortable for me. ;)

[QUOTE]

I'd never get to use the command prompt unless otherwise asked to. I suppose if you've been around computers since before Windows then it would be second nature.

Its like a dark place for me. Wouldnt hurt learning how to use it more often though

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1284288 wrote: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:UsersKate>netstat-b>>j.txt

'netstat-b' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:UsersKate>

If you try again with the spaces it'll get further.

You might find it easier to copy/paste from my post into the Command window. The paste shortcut there is Shift-Insert, otherwise you can do it right-clicking on the title bar and selecting "Paste".

Return to “Computers Internet”