Cell Phone Etiquette

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Saint_

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Saint_ »

As cell phone use begins to literally take over our lives, it's pretty clear to me that society as a whole is not ready for the onslaught. I have my own set of rules, but what are yours? What's the right time and place for a call? What's not only the wrong time or place, but extremely rude or maybe even dangerous?

A couple of my suggested rules to start off:

1. When you are in front of a cashier in a store, I think it's rude to be yakking on the phone. You are dealing with a person face-to-face, have the respect to give them your attention first.

2. Restaurants - Sure people are discussing things anyway, but somehow a cell phone conversation always seems to be louder and ruder. I'm paying for a nice experience, please don't ruin it for me.

3. Church - NEVER do this. Step outside if it's an emergency.

4. Driving - I saw a bumper sticker the other day, "Honk if you love Jesus... text while driving if you'd like to meet him right now!" Texting while driving is 29 times more dangerous than drunk driving.

Anyone else have any other tips for cell phone use?:-3
Ahso!

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Ahso! »

The technology is probably available right now to prevent the driver from talking on a phone unless the car is in park and a foot is on the brake. But for some reason we're not getting it, the technology. I've heard car manufacturers claim it will drive up the price too much and cell phone companies say it will cost jobs.

I like your suggestions except for the church one :wah:. I say church is the best time to be talking on the phone. Well then and school too. :wah:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by minks »

Saint_;1291030 wrote: As cell phone use begins to literally take over our lives, it's pretty clear to me that society as a whole is not ready for the onslaught. I have my own set of rules, but what are yours? What's the right time and place for a call? What's not only the wrong time or place, but extremely rude or maybe even dangerous?

A couple of my suggested rules to start off:

1. When you are in front of a cashier in a store, I think it's rude to be yakking on the phone. You are dealing with a person face-to-face, have the respect to give them your attention first. Minks' elaboration *No face to face conversation should ever be interupted by anything coming from a cell phone, call, text, alarm etc. That is just plain rude, you are indicating to the person you are talking to that they do not have your 100% attention.

2. Restaurants - Sure people are discussing things anyway, but somehow a cell phone conversation always seems to be louder and ruder. I'm paying for a nice experience, please don't ruin it for me.

3. Church - NEVER do this. Step outside if it's an emergency.

4. Driving - I saw a bumper sticker the other day, "Honk if you love Jesus... text while driving if you'd like to meet him right now!" Texting while driving is 29 times more dangerous than drunk driving.

Anyone else have any other tips for cell phone use?:-3

Meetings, Cell phones should never be looked at during meetings. They are not a resuce device you are in a meeting for a reason.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
gmc

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by gmc »

Don't answer it if you are unable to talk. One of my pet hates is when you phone someone, they answer and say Can't talk just now, in a meeting, on the roof, driving a car. Why answer if you are not free to take the call? turn the damn thing off.
Oscar Namechange

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I hate them. I hate being that contactable. I hate people who phone because they want you to stop whatever your doing and talk to them NOW.

I hate people who shout Into them on trains, In shops and the street just to point out to passers by that they have a friend and how Important their life is.

I hate my husband keep asking me where my phone Is, why is It off again and do you know you have 48 unread text messages and 61 missed calls? Yes, I do know.. I just don't care.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
minks

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by minks »

oscar;1291061 wrote: I hate them. I hate being that contactable. I hate people who phone because they want you to stop whatever your doing and talk to them NOW.

I hate people who shout Into them on trains, In shops and the street just to point out to passers by that they have a friend and how Important their life is.

I hate my husband keep asking me where my phone Is, why is It off again and do you know you have 48 unread text messages and 61 missed calls? Yes, I do know.. I just don't care.

I am like that to "O" missed calles pending texts and emails whooop deee doooo at the current moment I don't care. I refuse to be governed by my cell phone (yes my kid hates that about me) I like my life without the cellular leash thanks.

― Mae West
minks

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by minks »

cellular use while walking down the street.... NO NO NO, I can't tell you how many people I have seen busy texting and walk across a street on a don't walk :-5 idiots!!!!!

― Mae West
Omni_Skittles

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Omni_Skittles »

please tell me I'm on speaker!!!!
Smoke signals ftw!
Ahso!

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Ahso! »

I can't hear half of the conversation unless I have it on speaker. Too small for my hands and I slide it to "off" way too often. Its a "slide" phone.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by minks »

Ahso!;1291090 wrote: I can't hear half of the conversation unless I have it on speaker. Too small for my hands and I slide it to "off" way too often. Its a "slide" phone.

I frequently make "pocket" calls, that is some great feat when I am a woman and I have the phone in my front pocket of my jeans :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

― Mae West
Ahso!

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Ahso! »

minks;1291099 wrote: I frequently make "pocket" calls, that is some great feat when I am a woman and I have the phone in my front pocket of my jeans :yh_rotfl:yh_rotflMust be the change or keys rattling around??

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by minks »

Ahso!;1291106 wrote: Must be the change or keys rattling around??

heck no I don't have that many items in my pocket. Actually it is usually in my coat pocket and I occasionally squish it, my phone is the original "fossil" blackberry.

― Mae West
minks

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by minks »

More phone etiquette,

Never tell somebody after they just borrowed your phone that you have previously dropped it into the toilet.

:yh_rotfl

― Mae West
Ahso!

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Ahso! »

minks;1291109 wrote: heck no I don't have that many items in my pocket. Actually it is usually in my coat pocket and I occasionally squish it, my phone is the original "fossil" blackberry.I hope you're in the habit of checking it then before.......:lips:

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by minks »

Ahso!;1291115 wrote: I hope you're in the habit of checking it then before.......:lips:

I never borrow other peoples phones never know where they been ewwww ok bleck

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by chonsigirl »

Keep it on silent mode, when in company of other people, or public. Unless you need it for emergency reasons.

Still, having a cell phone, they are so much bigger again if you text, I keep it on silent mode and miss several emergencies. Don't know how to carry it around with me all the time. :(
along-for-the-ride

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by along-for-the-ride »

When Hubby was in the hospital awhile back, a few of his sisters and I were waiting for the doctor to come out and speak to us. When she finally did, she had us go into a small conference room to discuss my Hubbys prognosis and surgery. Well, while we were in that conference room and while the doctor was talking to us, one of my sister-in-laws cell phone kept ringing. Here I am trying to pay attention to the doctor and this cell phone keeps ringing. I turned and looked at SIL briefly and gave her the "look". "This is your brother the doctor is talking about.....shut that thing off til the meeting is over!" But she didn't get it. Duh!

I do have a cell phone myself..............but it has been used seldom. It has been helpful and convenient in emergency situations.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Ahso!

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Ahso! »

"A few"? How many sisters does your husband have? Sounds like a lot. Hope hes better now BTW.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
buttercup

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by buttercup »

I really don't like talking to anybody on the phone, everything i need to say can usually be covered in one text message. I prefer to see people.
Bevdee

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Bevdee »

It really pisses me off when people don't turn their phones off in the movie theater.
ZAP

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by ZAP »

In the waiting room at a doctor's office. Most of them around here have signs that tell you to shut it off but one in particular doesn't have those signs and 3 people were talking on their cell phones during a recent visit. One of the gals kept getting message after message. Then a little old lady came walking in, carrying a phone, talking to . . ..the younger woman already in the waiting room. Honestly, what did they do before cell phones?
Odie

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Odie »

when you have company over!

my son and sister in law constantly have their cells on and all you hear are ringtones every few seconds from people texting them.

how rude!:-5

I told them, next time you come, the cell stays in your car or don't come here.

other friends and family have theirs shut off, why do some insist on thinking they are important?:rolleyes:
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Ahso!;1291173 wrote: "A few"? How many sisters does your husband have? Sounds like a lot. Hope hes better now BTW.

Hubby had five sisters (no brothers). One sister passed away last year.

Hubby is doing fine now BTW. :)

I have noticed that everytime we have a family get-together (my in-laws), most everybody whips out their cell phone. To check calls. To answer calls. Sometimes, to make calls. I am NOT impressed.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Ahso!

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Ahso! »

along-for-the-ride;1291435 wrote: Hubby had five sisters (no brothers). One sister passed away last year.

Hubby is doing fine now BTW. :)

I have noticed that everytime we have a family get-together (my in-laws), most everybody whips out their cell phone. To check calls. To answer calls. Sometimes, to make calls. I am NOT impressed.It could be a sort of tic from feeling uncomfortable. Family dynamics and all that.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Odie »

shut them off in a doctors office.:-5
Oscar Namechange

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I've had the same mobile phone for 4 years now. It's a good one and It does what I want so why do I need to change It?

Yet my girlfriends have to have the latest. To them, apparently, the colour is very Important Darling and they ask me how can I possibly find my black mobile In the bottom of my black handbag at night? No, apparently It Is far better to have a pink one Darling. If It Is Diamantee encrusted.. all the better. And apparently, If you update your mobile every month, you can get all the latest apps and spend hours looking at your sat nav on your mobile along with the Internet. It must have a camera and video with the highest pixel quality apparently as this Is a must have when out shopping and to take meaningless pictures of where-ever you go.

All I want to know Is, Can I call the police On It?

As I said earlier... I hate the damn things.

Even my landline has caller ID. My family and I have a code for ringing so we know It's one of us calling If we are not In the mood for answering the phone. I do always answer the phone If it's a with-held number as It's usually the Police. I don't get nuisence sales calls as I'm on the TPS and threaten to sue them If they ever ring me again.

Also In my family, we have a strict code of conduct for phoning. We never phone family after 9 pm at night. This was something my father instilled In us whilst very young. At 9 pm. folk eat, put children to bed, watch tv... whatever... It's down-right rude to disturb any-one after 9 pm and I actually fell out with a neighbour big time for phoning me late at night.

I dumped all my purchases on the counter of a corner shop, walked out and have never been back since the person serving jabbered away on a mobile while she was serving.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Nomad »

Speaking of cell phones Ive recently discovered you can have any # forwarded to your cell phone by dialing #72 then the cell # from the phone you wish to have the calls forwarded from. If you are expecting a call but must leave its a nice option.

To undo dial #73 in the same manner.
I AM AWESOME MAN
gmc

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by gmc »

Nomad;1291825 wrote: Speaking of cell phones Ive recently discovered you can have any # forwarded to your cell phone by dialing #72 then the cell # from the phone you wish to have the calls forwarded from. If you are expecting a call but must leave its a nice option.

I didn;t understand that at all. What is a # and why would anyone send you one

:-2
Jazzy

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Jazzy »

Nomad;1291825 wrote: Speaking of cell phones Ive recently discovered you can have any # forwarded to your cell phone by dialing #72 then the cell # from the phone you wish to have the calls forwarded from. If you are expecting a call but must leave its a nice option.

This is a very good option and I have used this often. :)
Kathy Ellen

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I love having a cell phone due to safety reasons, emergencies and keeping in touch with my family.

BUT.......I don't annoy others with my calls.

Everytime I go food shopping there are people who have these long conversations on their phones....like....'hunny...should we get wise potato chips or lays....'

I have to go to Stop and Shop now and will rip that phone out of their hands and yell at them...:wah: I mean it...I will do it.....

I'm going in with my hard hat on (Pam's saying:p)...wish me luck....
hoppy

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by hoppy »

I hate cell phones and find way too many users to be rude and inconsiderate.

Got a SIL who would be talking to me on her cell phone then interrupt saying "hold on, I have a call coming in". I'm you call, let them wait, dammit.:mad:
Oldschoolguy

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Oldschoolguy »

My wife recently got a new iPhone. She just found Solitaire and plays it even when we are out on a "date" (We have been married for many years but still like date night).

I have asked her to stop, nicely, many times but she just keeps on playing and ignores my requests.

Hopefully she will get bored with it soon. I told her before she bought the iPhone that it was just a toy. She is now proving me right.

I work in a Post Office and always think it is funny when a customer comes in the lobby talking loudly on the cell phone. One lady was just going on and on about some personal matters, but did not seem to mind sharing it with everyone else in line. As she left I said, "Wait, you can't go now. We want to know how it turns out!!" LOL :yh_laugh

Oldschoolguy :yh_sungla
Saint_

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Saint_ »

hoppy;1292330 wrote: I hate cell phones and find way too many users to be rude and inconsiderate.

Got a SIL who would be talking to me on her cell phone then interrupt saying "hold on, I have a call coming in". I'm you call, let them wait, dammit.:mad:

Boy that's how I feel too. People first, phones second...always. I actually spoke to a young woman the other day who was chattering away in the check-out line, basically ignoring the clerk's requests for interaction.

I said, "Do you understand that you are dealing with another human being right now?"

She just glared at me and continued to chatter away.

I also find it funny / rude when people get involved in loud arguments in a line. One lady started cursing up a storm and I remarked loudly, "Such language!"

She shot at me, "Well if you don't f#$%&n like it, you don't have to F#$%&n listen to it."

I replied, "Actually, since I have to be in the same line as you, I do!"

She growled back, "It's a free country and this is my freedom of speech!"

I replied, "Very true, but since it is a free country, I think you'll understand that I'm free to consider you low-class." That shut her up!:rolleyes:
Bryn Mawr

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I don't understand this. Are you really saying that you can have your neighbour's / ex's 'phone calls diverted to your mobile to find out who's calling them?
M.A.S

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by M.A.S »

Saint_;1291030 wrote:

I agree with you
I miss you Odie
jclynadms

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by jclynadms »

It is very interesting to know bout all this. Yes, it is very true that if you are in church please don't turn it in ring mode and use it outside, I never use phone in my office. I have a phone just for the purpose that I get connected any time with my family and friends. I use it whenever I am free and for a limited time. It was good etiquette given by you all. I will love to follow them.
Odie

Cell Phone Etiquette

Post by Odie »

now they are aloud in hospitals!:-5:-5

Return to “Science Technology Videos”