This makes me feel Utterly Sick...

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Adams' controversial Jesus film set to air - Belfast Today
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

I can think of few people better qualified to talk on the subject.

You don't fancy watching it before passing judgement?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The reverend Ian paisley has also made documentaries about his faith in jesus and was a practising preacher- did you find that equally offensive?

What offends you that he is a catholic or the fact that he is a christian at all?
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1292118 wrote: The reverend Ian paisley has also made documentaries about his faith in jesus and was a practising preacher- did you find that equally offensive?

What offends you that he is a catholic or the fact that he is a christian at all? Are you being a Rodney?

Do not assume that my Issue's are with the church or any faith.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1292131 wrote: Are you being a Rodney?

Do not assume that my Issue's are with the church or any faith.

So what is exactly your objection?
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1292133 wrote: So what is exactly your objection? Although he still maintains he was not a member of the IRA, he held key positions In the IRA that he could not have risen to those ranks unless he was. He also carried the coffin of an IRA sympathiser. A blatent two fingered salute to our Government. He gained power off the back of murder and destruction. So?? How do you think the victems of say Omagh are going to feel?
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1292135 wrote: Although he still maintains he was not a member of the IRA, he held key positions In the IRA that he could not have risen to those ranks unless he was. He also carried the coffin of an IRA sympathiser. A blatent two fingered salute to our Government. He gained power off the back of murder and destruction. So?? How do you think the victems of say Omagh are going to feel?

Much the same as the victims of the UDA felt about ian paisley. He didn't pull a trigger, set a bomb or use a baseball bat on someone's kneecaps either. Protestant terrorists were pretty vicious bastards as well, in some way even more so. To permanently cripple a teenager takes a particular nasty type of thug. Still goes on you know.

They all went to church on sunday to thank god they weren't like those others. Blessed are the meek for they shall be terrorised by the more godly until they get pissed off and start fighting back.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1292141 wrote: Much the same as the victims of the UDA felt about ian paisley. He didn't pull a trigger, set a bomb or use a baseball bat on someone's kneecaps either. Protestant terrorists were pretty vicious bastards as well, in some way even more so. To permanently cripple a teenager takes a particular nasty type of thug. Still goes on you know.

They all went to church on sunday to thank god they weren't like those others. Blessed are the meek for they shall be terrorised by the more godly until they get pissed off and start fighting back.

And ?????
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1292147 wrote: And ?????

You're really not with it today are you.

So?? How do you think the victems of say Omagh are going to feel?

Much the same as the victims of the protestant terror organisations feel about protestant leaders like ian paisley-who also made a documentary about how much his faith mattered to him , can't find a link just now-It wasn't all one sided you know. Sooner or later you have to decide to stop killing each other.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1292154 wrote: You're really not with it today are you.

Much the same as the victims of the protestant terror organisations feel about protestant leaders like ian paisley-who also made a documentary about how much his faith mattered to him , can't find a link just now-It wasn't all one sided you know. Sooner or later you have to decide to stop killing each other.

It was I who believed you were not with It today. And??? meant, what has that got to do with Channel 4 allowing Adams to Insult us?

I appreciated the fact that you are actually hughly educated In religion, far far more than I but I do not need a history lesson Into the NI troubles and the history. I am very aware of the history of Paisley.

Your doing It again arn't you? Assuming I need the history lesson.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1292158 wrote: It was I who believed you were not with It today. And??? meant, what has that got to do with Channel 4 allowing Adams to Insult us?

I appreciated the fact that you are actually hughly educated In religion, far far more than I but I do not need a history lesson Into the NI troubles and the history. I am very aware of the history of Paisley.

Your doing It again arn't you? Assuming I need the history lesson.

Being blown up in for the sake of a religious war happened to both catholic and protestant. Why is gerry adams making a religious programme more offensive than say Ian paisley doing so. Are you not outraged that paisley was a practising minister. Neither, so far as we know were active terrorists and both are men of god.

YouTube - Ian Paisley Thrown out of Stormont by RUC June 1986

Who was the worse inciter of violence?

gerry adams on why he carried that coffin.

YouTube - GERRY ADAMS IN FREE STATE AMBUSH PART 1

Watch part two as well and see what you think.

It's a mistake to see things in black and white, right and wrong imo, there's right and wrong on both sides.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1292176 wrote: Being blown up in for the sake of a religious war happened to both catholic and protestant. Why is gerry adams making a religious programme more offensive than say Ian paisley doing so. Are you not outraged that paisley was a practising minister. Neither, so far as we know were active terrorists and both are men of god.

YouTube - Ian Paisley Thrown out of Stormont by RUC June 1986

Who was the worse inciter of violence?

gerry adams on why he carried that coffin.

YouTube - GERRY ADAMS IN FREE STATE AMBUSH PART 1

Watch part two as well and see what you think.

It's a mistake to see things in black and white, right and wrong imo, there's right and wrong on both sides.

I've watched both the links now. Paisley was right... Democracy was finished.

I agree with you that there Is always two sides to both stories but this link shows a far more sinister side to Adams.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 036723.ece

He Is In no poistion to preach to any-one.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1292192 wrote: He Is In no poistion to preach to any-one.Perhaps the point is that he doesn't preach to anyone. Unlike Ian Paisley. I don't see that you can call this documentary "preaching".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1292194 wrote: Perhaps the point is that he doesn't preach to anyone. Unlike Ian Paisley. I don't see that you can call this documentary "preaching". He was Ordained In 1946. He has always been a man of God and his faith unlike Adams.

The programme makers have stated that the programme Is a chance of reconciliation for Adams.... That's preaching for his own agenda.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1292197 wrote: He was Ordained In 1946. He has always been a man of God and his faith unlike Adams.This, if you'll pardon my observation, makes me feel Utterly Sick...
gmc

Post by gmc »

There comes a point where you have to leave hate behind and decide to stop killing each other. Would you rather the bigotry and bombing went on and on and on? Paisley is as bad as Adams, both intransigent and yet they can finally come to a peace agreement. Both sides in northern ireland could give lessons in bigotry.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1292224 wrote: There comes a point where you have to leave hate behind and decide to stop killing each other. Would you rather the bigotry and bombing went on and on and on? Paisley is as bad as Adams, both intransigent and yet they can finally come to a peace agreement. Both sides in northern ireland could give lessons in bigotry.
I'm on your side with that one my little thistle licker. Yes, Paisley was as bad In many respects as Adams, my point to Spot was merely that Paisley was Ordained at a very young age and even as a child had his faith, following with a life dedicated to God. Given a choice I'd rather hear the programme presented by Paisley.

Has Adams totally renounced his association with the IRA? I was very suspicious when he refused point blank to condemn the murder of the 38 Engineering Regiment who were the first British soldiers to be killed in the province for 12 years.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'll watch it. I'm always interested in what Adams has to say .
Ted

Post by Ted »

I am an outsider obviously. My Irish Dr. from the north and his Irish wife from the south have clearly told me that this was not a religious war but a war for power grabbing and a political war.

I know little about Adams but what I have seen of Paisley sickens me. I expect more of a "Christian"not his incessant hatred. As far as I can see his "ordination" isn't worth a pinch of ****.

Shalom

Ted
Oscar Namechange

Ted;1292266 wrote: I am an outsider obviously. My Irish Dr. from the north and his Irish wife from the south have clearly told me that this was not a religious war but a war for power grabbing and a political war.

I know little about Adams but what I have seen of Paisley sickens me. I expect more of a "Christian"not his incessant hatred. As far as I can see his "ordination" isn't worth a pinch of ****.

Shalom

Ted
He was only 20 years old when he was ordained. I believe the power struggle that consumed him In later life was not In his heart when he was Ordained. That's just my personal opinion.

Its also my personal Opinion that Gerry Adams was far more Involved In the IRA that he would ever admit to. I have never viewed Adams as a man of the faith however much he professes to be so. I'm appalled that the makers of this programme would give him a platform for his own personal reconciliation.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Ted;1292266 wrote: I am an outsider obviously. My Irish Dr. from the north and his Irish wife from the south have clearly told me that this was not a religious war but a war for power grabbing and a political war.

Shalom

Ted

Yes Ted you're quite correct. Religion just happens to be the excuse of a deeper hatred. Has nothing to do with it
theia

Post by theia »

I know little about Adams but what I have seen of Paisley sickens me. I expect more of a "Christian"not his incessant hatred. As far as I can see his "ordination" isn't worth a pinch of ****.Shalom

Ted

Ted, you have expressed how I feel about Paisley. I have always found him to be rather unpleasantly unsettling

Really good to see you again, Ted :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Raven

Post by Raven »

If I am not mistaken, this goes back to William of Orange? :-3
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
gmc

Post by gmc »

Raven;1292315 wrote: If I am not mistaken, this goes back to William of Orange? :-3

Bit further than that.

Ulster Scots people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

posted by ted

I am an outsider obviously. My Irish Dr. from the north and his Irish wife from the south have clearly told me that this was not a religious war but a war for power grabbing and a political war.

You're not an outsider-what happened in those years affected the colonies and helped shape your constitution. The Catholic/ protestant wars were as much a battle to decide who ruled-divinely ordained kings there by right or the people. You are in a very real sense the inheritors of that victory even the words used in your declaration of independence echo those used by protagonists in the english civil war. The fears protestants had about catholics did have good justification at the time.

If it was simply about power and politics it would have died down a long time ago. religion in the mix keeps it rumbling on and on and on. Just like Palestine-if it wasn't for religion you'd sit down and discuss thngs and come to a compromise.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Three I would never trust - Jerry Adams MP, Martin McGuinness MP (self confessed murderer), Rev.Ian Paisley (he is the most 'un-christian' man of the cloth I have known about, a total hypocrite and a disgrace to his 'calling' - an odious 'man').
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

Which Northern Irish politicians would you trust then, Gill?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1292331 wrote: Which Northern Irish politicians would you trust then, Gill?

About as many as English politicians! Which is precious few!
spot

Post by spot »

Names, Gill, we need names. If there are none at all then singling out Adams, McGuinness and Paisley doesn't carry much weight.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1292336 wrote: Names, Gill, we need names. If there are none at all then singling out Adams, McGuinness and Paisley doesn't carry much weight.

Quite honestly, I'm not bothered about carrying weight. I was passing an opinion of mine, which I am entitled to do, am I not? From past history of those three people, I have formed an opinion. I do not have to furnish you with any more names, and I do not know why there is a need to quote more names.

All I know is that nearly all politicians seem to have their own agenda, they seem to be out for 'number one' and conveniently forget that they are supposed to be the mouthpiece of their respective constituents ( the people who voted them in ), not their own party lines.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Just when Northern Ireland looks set for getting some peace along comes the pope to stir things up.

Kirk disputes Pope's view of the past - Scotland on Sunday

In a statement issued last week by The Vatican, Pope Benedict, who will visit Scotland in September, described the 16th-century Reformation, which split the two faiths, as a "great rupture" that had led to religious intolerance.

Far from being a force for peace and conciliation it would appear he wants to ignite old prejudices all over again. God forbid that catholics and protestants should learn to live together and perhaps mix in the same school when they are children.
Raven

Post by Raven »

gmc;1292324 wrote: Bit further than that.

Ulster Scots people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

posted by ted

You're not an outsider-what happened in those years affected the colonies and helped shape your constitution. The Catholic/ protestant wars were as much a battle to decide who ruled-divinely ordained kings there by right or the people. You are in a very real sense the inheritors of that victory even the words used in your declaration of independence echo those used by protagonists in the english civil war. The fears protestants had about catholics did have good justification at the time.

If it was simply about power and politics it would have died down a long time ago. religion in the mix keeps it rumbling on and on and on. Just like Palestine-if it wasn't for religion you'd sit down and discuss thngs and come to a compromise.
And this is just a problem with Northern Ireland? Why is Southern Ireland not involved? I saw the movie with Liam Neeson where he played the original IRA guy Michael Mcguire, but I still dont understand EXACTLY why all this came about?
Oscar Namechange

Raven;1292377 wrote: And this is just a problem with Northern Ireland? Why is Southern Ireland not involved? I saw the movie with Liam Neeson where he played the original IRA guy Michael Mcguire, but I still dont understand EXACTLY why all this came about? Northern Ireland Is part of Great britian and ruled by the British. Southern Ireland Is not.
Raven

Post by Raven »

oscar;1292378 wrote: Northern Ireland Is part of Great britian and ruled by the British. Southern Ireland Is not.
I thought all of Ireland was part of the Empire at one point? I know there was an agreement that made s. Ireland independent, but this is where it goes fuzzy for me, what happened with the Northern bit? And with all this devolution thing, why isnt N. Ireland happy with that?:-2
Oscar Namechange

Raven;1292382 wrote: I thought all of Ireland was part of the Empire at one point? I know there was an agreement that made s. Ireland independent, but this is where it goes fuzzy for me, what happened with the Northern bit? And with all this devolution thing, why isnt N. Ireland happy with that?:-2 to be honest Raven, gmc will be able to explain far better than I. My Father was Irish.. Southern Ireland, County Cork, we orginate from. It was never an Issue for him yet even as a Protestant, he loathed Ian Paisley with a passion. I am what I suppose would be regraded as Protestant yet my brother Is a Practising Catholic even sending his young son to private Catholic school.
Raven

Post by Raven »

oscar;1292384 wrote: to be honest Raven, gmc will be able to explain far better than I. My Father was Irish.. Southern Ireland, County Cork, we orginate from. It was never an Issue for him yet even as a Protestant, he loathed Ian Paisley with a passion. I am what I suppose would be regraded as Protestant yet my brother Is a Practising Catholic even sending his young son to private Catholic school.
It just seems a strange reason for such violence and dissent. Especially today. It just seems so many people strain to preserve what divides them, when it seems so much easier to find reasons that should bring them together. My family is a bit of them all. English, Irish, Dutch, AND French to boot.
Oscar Namechange

Raven;1292389 wrote: It just seems a strange reason for such violence and dissent. Especially today. It just seems so many people strain to preserve what divides them, when it seems so much easier to find reasons that should bring them together. My family is a bit of them all. English, Irish, Dutch, AND French to boot.

I'm sure some of my family are Double Dutch :wah:

I agree with you. The divide Is still very much there. When I married my ex husband at the age of 16, His mother was a verhment Catholic. She oppossed our Marriage based on religious grounds and Insisted I convert to the Catholic Church. In the end we went to a registry office without telling her !!! She was spitting :wah: When we divorced she told me It was no big deal because I was never his wife In the eyes of the church anyway !!

Nothing much has changed really since those years. My brother had to be confirmed by the Catholic Church before him and his wife were able to marry In the Church she had served all her life.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Raven;1292377 wrote: And this is just a problem with Northern Ireland? Why is Southern Ireland not involved? I saw the movie with Liam Neeson where he played the original IRA guy Michael Mcguire, but I still dont understand EXACTLY why all this came about?

BBC - History - British History in depth: The Glorious Revolution

The protestant ulster scots were settled in Ireland to control the rebellious irish. they took the best land forcing the catholics off. They form the majority of the population in the six counties of the North and do not wish to be subject to a catholic majority. Ireland was partitioned in 1922 with the north remaining part of the united kingdom. In the south there was a civil war between the two factions of the IRA, those who accepted partition and those who wanted the whole of ireland to be independent. The protestants had made it eminently clear that they would fight to remain part of the united kingdom and had men under arms ready to go to war over it.

BBC - History - 1916 Easter Rising - Profiles - Ulster Volunteer Force

At the heart of the war between catholic and protestant was an argument about who should rule-kings anointed by god and blessed by the pope or the people. Who had power the priests or the people. Who told you what to believe the priest in the pulpit or did you think for yourself. That's what the protestant reformation was about-people were protesting against the catholic and the venality and corruption they saw. Once people started reading the bible for themselves they realised how they had been misled by the church and they started questioning the authority of the church-once you do that you start questioning the authority of your leaders. Think in terms of christian fundamentalists catholic and protestant, unable to compromise they will reach for clubs and drag everybody in to war with them.

I can't explain in a few sentences you kind of need to read the background history for it to make any kind of sense but remember the 16yh amd 17th centuries were a period of tremendous social and political upheaval. It's also the kind of atmosphere in which the framers of your constitution decided there should be no state religion and everybody could worship as they pleased with freedom from religion guaranteed. They were heavily influenced by the ideas of the enlightenment and their own knowledge of history.

As to why it still matters all these years later you may as well ask why Christian fundamentalists are so keen to bring the states back to the ways of god. It's the same kind of intransigent attitudes. My religion, my way and people are ready to kill over it all. It's about religion-don't expect it to be rational and that people should agree to live and let live respecting each others religion and it's a silly thing to blow each other up over. Fundamentalists just can't leave people alone they have to bend everybody to their will.

Sectarianism is a major political issue in scotland. we have separate religions schools and they are incredibly divisive as children are segregated early on and there is quite a strong movement to end them. tony Blair has made things worse in England but now the pope is stirring it up in scotland and northern ireland. If he's wanted to throw petrol on a banked fire and stir up religious bigotry he is going about itb the right way.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Fundamentalism in any form can be and is dangerous whether Christian, Muslim etc. Christian fundamentalism is an invention of the late 19th and early 20th cent. and does not hearken back to the original church of the apostles.

Shalom

Ted:-6
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I've made it quite clear that I'm a supporter of the IRA (not all factions of it) and it has nothing to do with religion. And I like Jerry Adams.

I think the reason that an Irishman would not come on here and say he supported the IRA is because of what he/she be called by those of the opposing side. Most Irish stay mute on the subject and that's just the way the Brits like it. :) Unless of course they are in agreeance with them.
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1292833 wrote: I've made it quite clear that I'm a supporter of the IRA (not all factions of it) and it has nothing to do with religion. And I like Jerry Adams.

I think the reason that an Irishman would not come on here and say he supported the IRA is because of what he/she be called by those of the opposing side. Most Irish stay mute on the subject and that's just the way the Brits like it. :) Unless of course they are in agreeance with them.

What do you think the IRA is? In the irish civil war of 1922 that followed partition which faction of the IRA do you think had the right of it?

As it happens there are no northern irish actually using this board but the two from southern ireland were quite happy to express their opinion-if you do a little trawling at some of their posts you will see what I mean. If you really think any irishman or woman, is going to be put off by what he might be called on an anonymous discussion forum it probably says more about what you would like to believe than reality.

I ask what you think the IRA is because we have had posters on here so completely ignorant that they were unaware that Southern Ireland has been an independent nation since 1922 and thought the IRA were gallant freedom fighters trying to end British colonial rule.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

fuzzywuzzy;1292833 wrote: I've made it quite clear that I'm a supporter of the IRA (not all factions of it) and it has nothing to do with religion. And I like Jerry Adams.

gmc is quite right. To be in agreement with Sinn Fein and support the republican cause is one thing. Nothing wrong at all with wishing a united Ireland. To support the IRA is a completely different kettle of fish.

You prefer the bullet to the ballot box ?

What does "not all factions" mean ? The Provos are ok but not the Real or INLA ? You like to choose your terrorist groups based on what exactly ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1292954 wrote: gmc is quite right. To be in agreement with Sinn Fein and support the republican cause is one thing. Nothing wrong at all with wishing a united Ireland. To support the IRA is a completely different kettle of fish.

You prefer the bullet to the ballot box ?

What does "not all factions" mean ? The Provos are ok but not the Real or INLA ? You like to choose your terrorist groups based on what exactly ? Yes, I agree with you and gmc In this case. Sympathising with the cause is one thing, supporting the IRA Is another.

Perhaps when you happened to be approx 2 miles from this and It was your husband who was on the shout to attend ( Fire Service) you may not be so sympathetic. If you watch this video, you will see this Is an American video.

YouTube - The Eyes Of The IRA They Are Upon You

How on earth can anyne say they support this? I could If I had the time, post up video footage of every other poor sod that became one of their victems.

It's odd how every-one has an opinion of the IRA but unless those bombs were going off around you, then you have no idea. Thanks goodness Ted Kennedy Is now out of the picture and we don't have him stirring the pot.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Here we go again!
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Oscar Namechange

pinkchick;1292968 wrote: Here we go again!
Not me PC.. I'm leaving this thread. I've said my piece.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

oscar;1292969 wrote: Not me PC.. I'm leaving this thread. I've said my piece.

Oscar, I wasn't having a dig at you. I was making a general comment
Oscar Namechange

pinkchick;1292971 wrote: Oscar, I wasn't having a dig at you. I was making a general comment

No, I knew you were not digging at me. I can't contribute any further to a thread where there Is any support for the IRA. I lived through one of those bombs. My ex husband was a Fireman who specialised In electrical and chemical fires. And... Innocent people died In It as they did In all the IRA bombings. :)
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

gmc;1292891 wrote: What do you think the IRA is? In the irish civil war of 1922 that followed partition which faction of the IRA do you think had the right of it?

As it happens there are no northern irish actually using this board but the two from southern ireland were quite happy to express their opinion-if you do a little trawling at some of their posts you will see what I mean. If you really think any irishman or woman, is going to be put off by what he might be called on an anonymous discussion forum it probably says more about what you would like to believe than reality.

I ask what you think the IRA is because we have had posters on here so completely ignorant that they were unaware that Southern Ireland has been an independent nation since 1922 and thought the IRA were gallant freedom fighters trying to end British colonial rule.

Yes there are .... just lil old me :)
Oscar Namechange

pinkchick;1292986 wrote: Yes there are .... just lil old me :)
:yh_rotfl

Oh and Mike
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

oscar;1292988 wrote: :yh_rotfl

Oh and Mike

I'm in Northern Ireland. Mike and the good Dr G are in Southern Ireland.
Oscar Namechange

pinkchick;1292989 wrote: I'm in Northern Ireland. Mike and the good Dr G are in Southern Ireland.

Then I beg your pardon. :o:o Your from Belfast arn't you?

Return to “General Religious Discussions”