NHS central database - your medical information to be uploaded to it.

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Don't forget that if you want to opt out of having your medical records uploaded to the new NHS database "The Spine", now is the time to opt out. If you forget to opt out, your details will be uploaded whether you like it or not.

You can get a form from your GP's practice, or online:

http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/s ... /noscr.pdf

This will be the biggest and most detailed State central database on (potentially) the entire population of the country that there has ever been.

The Big Opt Out
abbey

Post by abbey »

This is the first I've heard of this, I looked at the link you posted and I like the idea of the patient can view their own records.

At last, the Drs will now have to ensure that all your treatment is entered, I like the thought of them being transparent.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I understand that access to your medical records, once they are included in this database, is supposed to be very restricted. However, doctors, nurses, ambulance teams, and other employees for NHS establishments may have easy access to your records, as well as yourself, whether you like it or not. Who is to say that other authorities may not gain access to your details. I think one should be cautious if you are involved with a witness protection scheme, or have chosen to be ex-directory for whatever reason. These type of details, kept in so-called extremely secure databases can be accessed, and no doubt will be accessed, by 'outside' agencies, hackers, etc. so if you are at all concerned about the total privacy of your medical records (and possibly DNA) then you should 'opt out' by contacting your GP for a form. If it does not bother you, and you can see the advantages of your medical details being available to people (doctors etc) who are attending you in hospital, without delay, then do nothing. For those who do nothing, their medical details will be entered on this new database.

There are definitely 'pros and cons' to this.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

It's certainly a dilemma. On the one hand one can see the benefits of a central database, that one can access along with your GP. I can also see this being fraught with problems. Are there strong guarantees of safety and privacy and how would that work ? Especially after the Governments recent record in keeping personal data private ie losing memory sticks and discs. They're very good at that
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

abbey;1296996 wrote: This is the first I've heard of this

This is a problem. Many have not heard about, won't know it's possible to opt out, and will think nothing of it - even think it's a good thing, without considering the possibilities for badness.

abbey;1296996 wrote: I looked at the link you posted and I like the idea of the patient can view their own records

You can do this right now anyway, just ask your doctor (you may have to fill out a form; he may say that you can't see them, if he thinks this would upset your balance of mind).

abbey;1296996 wrote: At last, the Drs will now have to ensure that all your treatment is entered, I like the thought of them being transparent.

So, you have not considered any of the less helpful possibilities. As "This is the first (you've) heard of this", you have now the time to do so.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

You all feel that this new system will greatly outweigh the risk associated with a far greater number of staff having access to your files compared to a select few that specialize in data processing?

I can't see this being a huge problem so long as security software stays ahead of the reoccurring hacking trend.

People have been using microfilm and microfiche for quite some time I believe...
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1297147 wrote: You all feel that this new system will greatly outweigh the risk associated with a far greater number of staff having access to your files compared to a select few that specialize in data processing?

I can't see this being a huge problem so long as security software stays ahead of the reoccurring hacking trend.

People have been using microfilm and microfiche for quite some time I believe...

Data bases are far more accessable. I dont trust this government's competence in anything. Government records/datbases are hacked, maybe not frequently but enough to offer concern

Think of the spam mail we all get everyday. Pharmaceuticles galore. I can imagine a very profitable business in accessing a large data base - and I'm sure it would be pretty simple for those that want to bad enough. I'm probably being far to cynical but this government's record on keeping records safe is appalling and I've heard very little to sway me otherwise.

I can see great merits in such a datbase but I need certain concerns addressed as well
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Snowfire;1297168 wrote: Data bases are far more accessable. I dont trust this government's competence in anything. Government records/datbases are hacked, maybe not frequently but enough to offer concern

I think that it's absolutely unbelievable that there's so little fuss about this.

There are data security concerns.

There are many privacy issues.

There's the issue of "Big Government" - the "1984" scenario.

The use of and access to these data is subject to changable laws.

The databases could in future be cross-referenced or merged with others.

The information could be accessible in future by many different officials, non-clinical, even private insurance companies like insurers, or foreign countries.

Snowfire;1297168 wrote: I can see great merits in such a datbase but I need certain concerns addressed as well

I can't see any great merits for the subjects of such a database. A few small ones, perhaps. What are these "great merits"?

Look at this, the Joseph Rowntree "Database State" Report:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/d ... -state.pdf

The database descriptions are interesting. "Stephen's Story" on P12 is interesting.

It's all rather worrying.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I realize that there are risks and challenges, and they need to be worked out, but I know that my mother would still be alive today, had there been such a database - assuming, of course, that the medical staff at the several facilities she visited actually were properly trained and made use of the thing (First challenge)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1297168 wrote: Data bases are far more accessable. I dont trust this government's competence in anything. Government records/datbases are hacked, maybe not frequently but enough to offer concern

Think of the spam mail we all get everyday. Pharmaceuticles galore. I can imagine a very profitable business in accessing a large data base - and I'm sure it would be pretty simple for those that want to bad enough. I'm probably being far to cynical but this government's record on keeping records safe is appalling and I've heard very little to sway me otherwise.

I can see great merits in such a datbase but I need certain concerns addressed as well

I can't at all see how one's medical records can be used for any significant degree of damage...There will always be a copy.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

K.Snyder;1297589 wrote: I can't at all see how one's medical records can be used for any significant degree of damage...There will always be a copy.

Not sure why the copy matters - it's the centralisation of records that is the problem.

It's a very significant advance in database usage by the State, the one of the most wide-ranging collections of information so far. With centralised and in future cross-linked databases the opportunity for abuse, control, leakage and consequences grows enormously.

It won't be long - a decade or so, perhaps - before it'll be possible for officials to find out :

Exactly who you are and what family you have.

How much you earn.

What you buy and where you buy it.

Where your other money goes.

Who you talk /talked to to electronically, and when.

Where you drive, and when, and what you drive.

Approximately you go on foot.

Where you go on holiday.

What property you posess.

Where you went to school, and your entire school record.

Any criminal record you have, down to petty items.

What savings you have, when and where.

All about your medical history.

Where and what drugs you need and use.

Your DNA profile.

What Government services you have used, when, why.

This is unlikely to be an exhaustive list. Much of this is possible and being used now - but not *centrally*. It will be possible to cross-link all these data with other individuals', of course. and the law is subject to change. It is possible that foreign countries will have access to these data in future (some certainly do have access to some of this right now).

You could have a look at "Stephen's story" on P12 or the Rowntree "Database State" Report at: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/d ... -state.pdf. Whether it is entirely true, I don't know, but I suspect it is. As we go forward, much more is possible (including data error and effects of that).
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bill Sikes;1297657 wrote: Not sure why the copy matters - it's the centralisation of records that is the problem.

It's a very significant advance in database usage by the State, the one of the most wide-ranging collections of information so far. With centralised and in future cross-linked databases the opportunity for abuse, control, leakage and consequences grows enormously.

It won't be long - a decade or so, perhaps - before it'll be possible for officials to find out :

Exactly who you are and what family you have.

How much you earn.

What you buy and where you buy it.

Where your other money goes.

Who you talk /talked to to electronically, and when.

Where you drive, and when, and what you drive.

Approximately you go on foot.

Where you go on holiday.

What property you posess.

Where you went to school, and your entire school record.

Any criminal record you have, down to petty items.

What savings you have, when and where.

All about your medical history.

Where and what drugs you need and use.

Your DNA profile.

What Government services you have used, when, why.

This is unlikely to be an exhaustive list. Much of this is possible and being used now - but not *centrally*. It will be possible to cross-link all these data with other individuals', of course. and the law is subject to change. It is possible that foreign countries will have access to these data in future (some certainly do have access to some of this right now).

You could have a look at "Stephen's story" on P12 or the Rowntree "Database State" Report at: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/d ... -state.pdf. Whether it is entirely true, I don't know, but I suspect it is. As we go forward, much more is possible (including data error and effects of that).

Well, a copy so that it can easily be recognized upon a dramatic change in one's records which would have to be verified by individuals themselves anyway. To be honest all of that information can easily be retrieved anyway for those exquisitely interested in finding out enough to hack the NHS central database among far easier routes. The only problem I see is the NHS central database being less penetrable than the current system which is staff members and their virtues.

Perhaps I could be wrong but I suppose this will be proved upon it's completion relative to those that decide/unaware of these happenings.

Return to “Social Human Rights”