Life

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Mustang

Life

Post by Mustang »

We watched it Sunday and have to say, in HD, it's was amazing! :-6

LIFE : Discovery Channel

It's an awesome 11-episode series about animal behavior across all seven continents. It can be viewed on Sundays at 8PM on the Discovery Channel.

Is anybody else catching this program?
G#Gill

Life

Post by G#Gill »

Unfortunately, Mussy, we haven't got Sky, so we miss a lot of lovely and fascinating programmes like this. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :-1
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Life

Post by spot »

It's a BBC series Gill - that Attenborough chap voicing it. From the Bristol Natural History unit. They did it very well. And their recent equivalent on the sea too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Life

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1298660 wrote: It's a BBC series Gill - that Attenborough chap voicing it. From the Bristol Natural History unit. They did it very well. And their recent equivalent on the sea too.

Oh I didn't realise it was one and the same ! Oh well, I did see the wonderful Attenborough series, and also the sea one. They are beautiful, and so informative, fascinating and all the superlatives that one can think of ! It will be a sad day when David Attenborough retires from making such brilliant series. I just cannot think of an equivalent presenter.
Kathy Ellen

Life

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, that sounds absolutely wonderful Mustang. I will definitely look into this and watch it. I love shows like this.

Mustang

Life

Post by Mustang »

Kathy Ellen;1298686 wrote: Oh, that sounds absolutely wonderful Mustang. I will definitely look into this and watch it. I love shows like this.

You're welcome Kathy Ellen. :)

They showed the first 2 episodes last night and time flew by quickly watching it. I see Life is available on DVD and Blue Ray also.
Odie

Life

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1298649 wrote: We watched it Sunday and have to say, in HD, it's was amazing! :-6

LIFE : Discovery Channel

It's an awesome 11-episode series about animal behavior across all seven continents. It can be viewed on Sundays at 8PM on the Discovery Channel.

Is anybody else catching this program?

I heard about this show from one of my neighbours, but I don't have Discovery Channel!:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Life

Post by CARLA »

I watched it in HD as well amazing is the correct word to describe this series. Here it is narrated by Ophra Winfrey.!! :-6 "LIFE"
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Mustang

Life

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1298725 wrote: I heard about this show from one of my neighbours, but I don't have Discovery Channel!:-5

That's too bad Odie. You're missing an awesome program.
Mustang

Life

Post by Mustang »

CARLA;1298728 wrote: I watched it in HD as well amazing is the correct word to describe this series. Here it is narrated by Ophra Winfrey.!! :-6 "LIFE"

What patience those komodo dragons have, after biting their prey and waiting weeks for it to die so they can consume it.

Looking forward to next Sunday. ;)
G#Gill

Life

Post by G#Gill »

The photography is brilliant! It's a 'must see!' series.
Mustang

Life

Post by Mustang »

G#Gill;1298672 wrote: Oh I didn't realise it was one and the same ! Oh well, I did see the wonderful Attenborough series, and also the sea one. They are beautiful, and so informative, fascinating and all the superlatives that one can think of ! It will be a sad day when David Attenborough retires from making such brilliant series. I just cannot think of an equivalent presenter.

As Carla stated, Oprah Winfrey narrates this series. She does a pretty good job.
G#Gill

Life

Post by G#Gill »

I can't imagine Oprah doing the 'talking', I suppose I'm a little biased - David Attenborough is unique at this sort of thing. He makes it obvious that he is totally immersed in what he is talking about. :-6 :D
spot

Life

Post by spot »

It's hard keeping track of these things when titles get re-used, you'd think David Attenborough achieved a fairly definitive use of the word as a series title with his planet-wide series:The endeavour is complete. If you'd asked me 20 years ago whether we'd be attempting such a mammoth task, I'd have said "Don't be ridiculous!" These programmes tell a particular story and I'm sure others will come along and tell it much better than I did, but I do hope that if people watch it in 50 years' time, it will still have something to say about the world we live in.

eta: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... y-channel/

It *is* the same series. Why the Americans need to pretend it's a domestic product has me completely baffled. It took the Natural History Unit thirty years to create, it takes the US three months to dub it into being a US series? Indeed, to quote that NYT Response Comments section briefly:3 - I am watching the BBC series with the amazing David Attenborough narrating. Why in the world would we replace him with Oprah???

4 - Get the series direct from the BBC web site with David Attenborough narrating, Oprah will ruin it, through no fault of her own, her voice has become typecast, the drama will be lost as you will be expecting a team of experts to fall out of the helicopter and whisk the polar bear away for a free makeover. She will cliché it to death, what next the Mona Lisa by Andy Warhol ?

5 - No no no no no. David Attenborough narrates and he should be left in place. They used Sigourney Weaver over Attenborough last time and she sounded sort of stupid. What’s the issue anyway, don’t think your average American can understand the Queen’s English?

6 - David Attenborough is the original narrator with a melifluous, athoritative voice and decades of nature studies and program making behind him. He speaks English. Why change the voice to a celeb voice? Because Americans might find it intellectually intimidating?! Thats pretty a condescedning attitude from TV network executives [...]
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Life

Post by CARLA »

That's it..

[QUOTE]

eta: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...overy-channel/

It *is* the same series. Why the Americans need to pretend it's a domestic product has me completely baffled.

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Life

Post by spot »

CARLA;1298757 wrote: That's it..

Maybe it's something to do with Attenborough reveals creationist hate mail for not crediting God | World news | The Guardian
G#Gill

Life

Post by G#Gill »

Maybe it was a condition of sale - that America had their own celebrity to do the talk-over. Such a pity really, because as I have said David Attenborough is the original, he's unique, and he is so knowledgeable. It would seem very odd to me, if I heard Oprah's voice in this series. I'm sure she does it well, but it would spoil it for me, having seen the original, sorry. :(
along-for-the-ride

Life

Post by along-for-the-ride »

The beautiful filming of animal behavior is the reason I watch the program. The narrative is secondary.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
biggirls

Life

Post by biggirls »

interesting and amazing

Return to “General TV Shows”