Need Start Menu Help!

Jazzy

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by Jazzy »

I have Windows XP running on my Gateway computer. My friend used my computer and hit something and now my Start Menu is at the TOP of the screen instead of being at the BOTTOM of my screen. I have no idea how to get it back to where it belongs :-1 Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy:-5

Thank you in advance!
Betty Boop

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by Betty Boop »

Right click on the taskbar itself, make sure the taskbar is unlocked.

Then holding your mouse over the taskbar left click and move the mouse to the bottom of the screen again, then go back in on the right click and lock it again.
Jazzy

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by Jazzy »

Betty Boop;1301376 wrote: Right click on the taskbar itself, make sure the taskbar is unlocked.

Then holding your mouse over the taskbar left click and move the mouse to the bottom of the screen again, then go back in on the right click and lock it again.

Thank you but it didn't work :-5 The taskbar is unlocked but when I followed your instructions, nothing happened :(
Betty Boop

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by Betty Boop »

Jazzy;1301403 wrote: Thank you but it didn't work :-5 The taskbar is unlocked but when I followed your instructions, nothing happened :(

That's odd, it works on mine which is actually Vista but I've just checked on the other computer which is XP and it works fine on there too.
spot

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by spot »

Jazzy;1301403 wrote: Thank you but it didn't work :-5 The taskbar is unlocked but when I followed your instructions, nothing happened :(

BB's "click and move" is her way of saying drag and drop. You have to point at the taskbar, hold down the left click without releasing it, drag the taskbar to the bottom of the screen and only then let your finger off the left mouse key.

Having the bar at the top of the screen isn't a bad way of using it though, you might consider whether you like it or not after giving it a fair trial.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by CARLA »

Spot and BB have it right Unlock, drag it to the bottom by holding your mouses left button down as you drag, then release you left button on your mouse when its in place lock your toolbar again if you want. I have seen it on the top, side some people like it that way.

[QUOTE] Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzy

Thank you but it didn't work :-5 The taskbar is unlocked but when I followed your instructions, nothing happened :(

BB's "click and move" is her way of saying drag and drop. You have to point at the taskbar, hold down the left click without releasing it, drag the taskbar to the bottom of the screen and only then let your finger off the left mouse key.

Having the bar at the top of the screen isn't a bad way of using it though, you might consider whether you like it or not after giving it a fair trial.

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Jazzy

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by Jazzy »

Thank you everyone who has tried to help me. Nothing I do is working so I'm going to take the dang thing to my computer repair guy. Here's what I did so far with no results:

Right-click an empty portion of the taskbar, and turn off the Lock the taskbar option (do nothing if there's no checkmark next to it). Next, grab a blank portion of the taskbar with the mouse and start dragging.

Problem here is that I can only drag the taskbar only half way down the page and no further. I can't leave the taskbar at the top of the screen because when I'm typing like now I cannot see the bar. When it's at the bottom I can see the clock and programs that I use (printer, Kodak Easyshare and Lexmark) :( Thank you all again very much for trying to help me!
CARLA

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by CARLA »

JAZZY i can logon to your computer and fix it in 2 seconds I will PM you with a link you just install and start the software and I will be on your machine remotely. Don't spend money on a repair guy to fix this...:-6 You have to swing the taskbar around to the bottom in a circular motion if that helps first on the side then to the bottom.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by flopstock »

you have to bounce it off the side of your screen, don't just drag down.

click on it with left button, hold down and drag down but to the right (as if you were going to draw a baseball diamond on your screen... then continue with your second stroke to the bottom of the diamond at the bottom of your screen.

don't let up until it's where you want it.:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by Betty Boop »

flopstock;1301488 wrote: you have to bounce it off the side of your screen, don't just drag down.

click on it with left button, hold down and drag down but to the right (as if you were going to draw a baseball diamond on your screen... then continue with your second stroke to the bottom of the diamond at the bottom of your screen.

don't let up until it's where you want it.:-6

I was just going to come back with take it to the side and then to the bottom :)

Hopefully Carla has it sorted for you by now.
Jazzy

Need Start Menu Help!

Post by Jazzy »

I wanted to thank each and every one who responded to help me. Carla got it all sorted out for me. :guitarist

Return to “Computers Internet”