White Daughters and Black boyfriends

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

A friend of mine asked me what I would do if my 13 year old daughter (who is white) wanted to date a black 13 year old boy.

Personally, I have no problem with it. My parents, on the other hand, would completely disapprove....good thing I care NOT what they do or do not think.

If the relationship lasted for awhile, and turned into something long term, I might discuss some hardships that interracial couples have had in the past, especially in the area i live in.. mostly to prepare them for what they might be faced with.

Thoughts?
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

My daughter had a relationship some years ago with a young Asian boy. He didnt come in to the house for months, so terrified of the image I supposedly portrayed (very large lump of a man with shaved head and goatee beard ) despite my daughters assurances. I looked like the sterotypical racist, he thought, so I must be. I was interested in only one thing and that was how he treated my daughter and he was a polite, well dressed, good natured young man.

Unfortunately I only found out very recently that he was a bully but thats another story.

Thankfully I wasn't bought up amongst any racist attitudes, from either my parents or grandparents. We had grown up within a large Hindu/Sikh community. My stepfather, however, while welcoming my daughters boyfriend into the house, scoffed at any prospect of marriage but was soon scowled back by the rest of us
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

devist8me;1324099 wrote: A friend of mine asked me what I would do if my 13 year old daughter (who is white) wanted to date a black 13 year old boy.

Personally, I have no problem with it. My parents, on the other hand, would completely disapprove....good thing I care NOT what they do or do not think.

If the relationship lasted for awhile, and turned into something long term, I might discuss some hardships that interracial couples have had in the past, especially in the area i live in.. mostly to prepare them for what they might be faced with.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't care one bit.As long as they were happy.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Why, there is nothing wrong with it.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Ya, I would not approve of my 13 year old daughter dating anyone at that age.

She would need to wait another year or two.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

White, black...whatever.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Wouldn't matter to me at all just treat each other with respect that is what counts. 13 does seem a bit young to start dating that is what I would have an objection to.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I'm heartened by the acceptance my high school students show toward superficial differences. As more and more of us old farts die off it becomes less and less of an issue.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I have a white son with a Mexican girlfriend, luckily my favorite food is Mexican. Anyone for a tequila and a hat dance? :D
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

My eleven year old is crushing on an eleven year old boy named tre' - real name pedro. She says she is too young for boyfriends. I agree. Her dad is thinking maybe after she's 18 she can start dating...lol

But tre is in advanced classes with her and seems like a nice kid. That's really all i care about.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

flopstock;1324172 wrote: My eleven year old is crushing on an eleven year old boy named tre' - real name pedro. She says she is too young for boyfriends. I agree. Her dad is thinking maybe after she's 18 she can start dating...lol

But tre is in advanced classes with her and seems like a nice kid. That's really all i care about.

I don't look at color as long as the person is nice. But, if I did have a daughter, which I don't I would NOT wanting her dating at 13.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

The life of a girl of 13 would be enriched with the company of good friends from any race. But dating? At 13? Too young.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

The topic I was mostly interested in was race but appreciate the extra info about dating practices.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
cars

Post by cars »

Everyone is so politically correct these days, but no one really knows how they would really react/feel, until they were actually confronted with the real life senerio. We as a nation, have a ways to go yet for full unbias acceptance. Say what you will, but . . . . . like Acc said, in time, when the old farts die off, then there will be no difference, and then full acceptance.
Cars :)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;1324172 wrote: My eleven year old is crushing on an eleven year old boy named tre' - real name pedro.

But tre is in advanced classes

Sounds to me like youre thinking ahead to hopping onto some kind of gravy train. "go for the smart one honey hell bring in the $ then mommy can retire"

Ill reserve judgement except to say "wow"
I AM AWESOME MAN
guppy

Post by guppy »

i keep going back to this thread...

here is what i think..color? hmmmm

who cares..in this day and time if that is the question you are doing good

what if Melanie brings home Melissa as her life mate..

johnny likes charles.

or the big one..what do you mean..you are six months pregnant..living in my house..and dont know who the parent is...lol
Peg

Post by Peg »

If our daughter dated someone of a different race, it wouldn't bother me as long as he treated her well. My husband, on the other hand, would have a fit. If either child wanted to date someone of the same gender, wouldn't bother me either as long as they are happy.
fae

Post by fae »

A good person who my daughter loves is what matters, not race or gender..... what bothers me most is segregation, by whichever race...

Return to “General Chit Chat”