Tonight's T.V.

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Tonight's T.V.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I've just finished watching a film on BBC4 - "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells" with Judi Dench, Joan Sims, Ian Holm, Clio Lane, June Whitfield ..........

Given the cast you'd expect it to be from the 1960s or 70s but it was made sometime in the last decade and was magnificent in it's use of mature actors.

Plot synopsis? Judi Dench played in a swing band during the war but stopped when the troops came home. On the death of her husband she starts playing the sax publicly again and meets up with an ex-bandmember. Having been convinced to play a gig by her grand-daughter she re-contacts the other ex-members.

What follows is a tour-de-force exploration of the "class re-union" - nothing much happens but everything is explained.

Excellent - I might even be encouraged to watch more TV in the hope of seeing more like it.
Kathy Ellen

Tonight's T.V.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

WOOZA Bryn....What a cast....I love every cast member there. Just ordered it from Netflix.

Thanks !!!!
fae

Tonight's T.V.

Post by fae »

Will watch it on iplayer tonight......
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Tonight's T.V.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I will await your reactions with interest.

It is not often that I'll sit though a film and enjoy it but that one was the most enjoyable I've seen for a few years.
Oscar Namechange

Tonight's T.V.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

You do get some brilliant films and re-runs on TV here. I do not watch TV much and am limited to late night viewing when I prefer Cable but I have been re-visiting my childhood lately watching re-runs of 'On The Buses'.

remember that Bryn?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
fae

Tonight's T.V.

Post by fae »

Not available on iplayer... will have to watch BB instead.. :-5 btw I just love these icons.. I think I'll post just so I can use them all !!!!
fae

Tonight's T.V.

Post by fae »

;) :-3 :D :-2 :o :-1 :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :wah:

OK , I won't overdo it.... Soooooo cute
Kathy Ellen

Tonight's T.V.

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thank you so much for recommending "Last of the Blond Bombshells" Bryn Mawr.

I thought this was a fabulous and endearing movie. I loved every second of it, especially watching the great talents of Judi Dench, Ian Holm ~~~~awwwww~~~~the wee hobbit, Olympia Dukakis and Leslie Caron.

It was a special treat to hear the American lads shout out that they were from "Noo Joisey":wah:

The plot, beloved actors, scenery of London and Scotland, WW 2 music and great humor enthralled me. The WW2 music, dancing and clothes brought tears to my eyes because I remember my mom always playing these songs, even into my adulthood. She and my Auntie Ann used to do all the swing dances...all the jives and lindys.

The Last of the Blonde Bombshells (2000) (TV)

YouTube - Swing Dancing from the Movie Twiced Blessed (1945)

YouTube - The Hatchback - Beginners Modern Jive Move
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Tonight's T.V.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Kathy Ellen;1327493 wrote: Thank you so much for recommending "Last of the Blond Bombshells" Bryn Mawr.

I thought this was a fabulous and endearing movie. I loved every second of it, especially watching the great talents of Judi Dench, Ian Holm ~~~~awwwww~~~~the wee hobbit, Olympia Dukakis and Leslie Caron.

It was a special treat to hear the American lads shout out that they were from "Noo Joisey":wah:

The plot, beloved actors, scenery of London and Scotland, WW 2 music and great humor enthralled me. The WW2 music, dancing and clothes brought tears to my eyes because I remember my mom always playing these songs, even into my adulthood. She and my Auntie Ann used to do all the swing dances...all the jives and lindys.

The Last of the Blonde Bombshells (2000) (TV)

YouTube - Swing Dancing from the Movie Twiced Blessed (1945)

YouTube - The Hatchback - Beginners Modern Jive Move

It was by Alan Plater, the same writer who penned the TV series "The Biderbeck Affair" - Not such a famous cast (James Bolam and Barbra Flynn lead) but very much in the same mold.

Return to “General TV Shows”