Overworked Words

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Overworked Words

Post by Lon »

If I hear AMAZING & AWESOME one more time I'm gonna BARF. It's mostly young folks using those two words. The show was AWESOME. We had an AWESOME time.

The meal was AWESOME. She looked AWESOME. AMAZING is used in the same context. I find it AMAZING how certain words are picked up and then over used.

How about your area-----------what words are over worked? :-3
Snowfire

Overworked Words

Post by Snowfire »

Yeah those two words get up my nose too.

I met a few old friends at the Royal British Legion last night and as I was texting my wife, a young girl may 12 years old told me my phone was the coolest one she'd ever seen. "its wicked" she said, "wicked"

Cool and wicked I would add to the list
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
theia

Overworked Words

Post by theia »

Don't get me started...I'm the original grumpy old woman...

what is wrong with 24 hours a day instead of 24/7? The latter may be shorter but there's no rush is there?

what does "my bad" actually mean?

what's a "conshumer?" It's consumer, surely?

and are "aitches" out of fashion (I said "aitches" not "haitches")
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

eh?:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

Overworked Words

Post by spot »

Nice and decimated. And evil.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Overworked Words

Post by chonsigirl »

Detention....................... :)
Snowfire

Overworked Words

Post by Snowfire »

very unique ........What ! More unique than unique ?

know what I mean ....... Erm, not really

like......like what ?

and she turned round and said....... what ! A full 360 degree pirouette ?

Know what I'm saying....... Not a bit of it
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
along-for-the-ride

Overworked Words

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"zero tolerance"
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Rapunzel

Overworked Words

Post by Rapunzel »

Lon;1332642 wrote: If I hear AMAZING & AWESOME one more time I'm gonna BARF.

The buckets are for Lon. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Overworked Words

Post by Kathy Ellen »

give me a high five...

been there...done that...

way to go...

good job...

yada...yada...
K.Snyder

Overworked Words

Post by K.Snyder »

I hate it when people ask me "How are you doing?"...As if I were in a dire situation I'd just break out with it and start crying or something...
flopstock

Overworked Words

Post by flopstock »

true that
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

"Lessons will be learned! " .......... ............. but they never are !!!!!! :-5
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

"Very true" ...................... absolute cobblers! There is no degree of truth ffs! Something is either true or it is false!
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

"I'm with you 150% !" What !!!!!!!! I always thought that 100% was the highest one could go !!!!!!! :-5
fuzzywuzzy

Overworked Words

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Lon;1332642 wrote: If I hear AMAZING & AWESOME one more time I'm gonna BARF. It's mostly young folks using those two words. The show was AWESOME. We had an AWESOME time.

The meal was AWESOME. She looked AWESOME. AMAZING is used in the same context. I find it AMAZING how certain words are picked up and then over used.

It's irritating although I do use the word "cool" quite often.

Yesterday my son was telling me what he did at school and I told him not to keep saying "like" so he stopped........and replaced the word with "Ummm". Then added "like" with the "UMM" anyway. .....I give up.
flopstock

Overworked Words

Post by flopstock »

fuzzywuzzy;1332694 wrote: It's irritating although I do use the word "cool" quite often.

Yesterday my son was telling me what he did at school and I told him not to keep saying "like" so he stopped........and replaced the word with "Ummm". Then added "like" with the "UMM" anyway. .....I give up.

I could hear it... I swear I could hear it!!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

fuzzywuzzy

Overworked Words

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I was listening to a man talk (intoxicated ) once. And it was amusing the number of times he used the F word. At one stage I counted five times in an eight word sentence. I couldn't help myself I just cracked up and told him what he'd just done. He apologised not for using the word but because there were ladies present:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Floppy I think my child uses "Like" and "ummm" to verbalise his commas':wah::wah::wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Overworked Words

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

K.Snyder;1332677 wrote: I hate it when people ask me "How are you doing?"...As if I were in a dire situation I'd just break out with it and start crying or something...

Awwwhhh K I know what you mean. I don't lie anymore to the check out chicks. I always say what's on my mind now. Like yesterday in Safeway. The girl asked how my weekend was going so I told her . Then she said well maybe "Well next week will be better for you" ......ummmm no. she'll never asked that again :-5 :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Peg

Overworked Words

Post by Peg »

I could handle all these words. I know a lady and her son who both let out this little laugh after everything they say. I know a guy who laughs loudly, and I mean earpiercing loud, after everything he says. They make me completely bonkers!
theia

Overworked Words

Post by theia »

Peg;1332700 wrote: I could handle all these words. I know a lady and her son who both let out this little laugh after everything they say. I know a guy who laughs loudly, and I mean earpiercing loud, after everything he says. They make me completely bonkers!

Oh yes, I know that "little laugh" thing :yh_frustr

My ex used to sneeze so loudly that everyone within a 5 mile radius would jump out of their skin...and he thought it was hilarious :mad:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

ground zero

It was used in 2001 and should never have been used again.:-5
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

'ffs'

-fed up with that one, used way to often!:-5

'like'

we like should go to the like movies tonight then like we could go like to Bob's place like afterwards.:-5
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1332677 wrote: I hate it when people ask me "How are you doing?"...As if I were in a dire situation I'd just break out with it and start crying or something...

hey babe, how are you doing?:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

Odie;1332708 wrote: 'ffs'

-fed up with that one, used way to often!:-5

'like'

we like should go to the like movies tonight then like we could go like to Bob's place like afterwards.:-5

That is not a word, it's an abbreviation, and you have often used it yourself! :yh_tongue But I agree with 'like' - very irritating.
Mustang

Overworked Words

Post by Mustang »

"Whatever" when used with the eye rolling.

The word "nothing" when you ask someone what's wrong and they say "nothing", when there is something wrong.
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1332719 wrote: That is not a word, it's an abbreviation, and you have often used it yourself! :yh_tongue But I agree with 'like' - very irritating.

It doesn't matter whether its an abbreviation or not.:rolleyes:

funny, when I said 'eh?' here, no one said anything and that's not even a word.:yh_rotfl

yup......I used to use it Gill, but not anymore as I now despise it.

It's an ugly & nasty saying for any woman to use.:yh_sick
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1332721 wrote: "Whatever" when used with the eye rolling.

The word "nothing" when you ask someone what's wrong and they say "nothing", when there is something wrong.

I hate the same two.
spot

Overworked Words

Post by spot »

Odie;1332707 wrote: ground zero

It was used in 2001 and should never have been used again.:-5

It should never have been misused in 2001, it's a term from the cold war relating specifically to atomic bombs.7 July 1946, New York Times: The intense heat of the blast started fires as far as 3,500 feet from 'ground zero'.

September 1955, Bulletin of Atomic Science: There was no noticeable contamination even at ground zero at Hiroshima.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

Odie;1332726 wrote: It doesn't matter whether its an abbreviation or not.:rolleyes:

funny, when I said 'eh?' here, no one said anything and that's not even a word.:yh_rotfl

yup......I used to use it Gill, but not anymore as I now despise it.

It's an ugly & nasty saying for any woman to use.:yh_sick

I think you will find, if you check any half-decent dictionary, that 'eh' is an accepted word ! :yh_tong2 :yh_wink

Also the title to this thread specifically states 'words'. :-6
spot

Overworked Words

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1332758 wrote: I think you will find, if you check any half-decent dictionary, that 'eh' is an accepted word ! :yh_tong2 :yh_winkOliver Goldsmith used it in She Stoops To Conquer in 1773: "Wasn't it lucky, eh?", HG Wells in 1905 in Kipps, it's got lots of history.

Lol and rofl haven't made it into the dictionary or I'd have had those here too. And smilies.

ffs isn't a word, it's a leftover remnant of Carolly. Being a written abbreviation for a phrase isn't a problem, the thread's brought up lots of vile phrases.
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

spot;1332751 wrote: It should never have been misused in 2001, it's a term from the cold war relating specifically to atomic bombs.7 July 1946, New York Times: The intense heat of the blast started fires as far as 3,500 feet from 'ground zero'.

September 1955, Bulletin of Atomic Science: There was no noticeable contamination even at ground zero at Hiroshima.

Then I apologize, it should have never been misused.
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

spot;1332760 wrote: Oliver Goldsmith used it in She Stoops To Conquer in 1773: "Wasn't it lucky, eh?", HG Wells in 1905 in Kipps, it's got lots of history.

Lol and rofl haven't made it into the dictionary or I'd have had those here too. And smilies.

ffs isn't a word, it's a leftover remnant of Carolly. Being a written abbreviation for a phrase isn't a problem, the thread's brought up lots of vile phrases.

agreed, ffs, is a vile phrase..that's why I stopped using it.

fancy that, eh is a word, thanks spot.
spot

Overworked Words

Post by spot »

Odie;1332764 wrote: fancy that, eh is a word, thanks spot.Everywhere in the English-speaking world except Canada where it's used as a full stop, eh?
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1332767 wrote: Everywhere in the English-speaking world except Canada where it's used as a full stop, eh?

Guffaw ! Guffaw !
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

spot;1332767 wrote: Everywhere in the English-speaking world except Canada where it's used as a full stop, eh?

when I googled it this morning, it had lots to say about Canada and how we use it eh?:yh_rotfl

It all started with Doug & Bob Mckenzie's adventures for Canadians.
kazalala

Overworked Words

Post by kazalala »

G#Gill;1332693 wrote: "I'm with you 150% !" What !!!!!!!! I always thought that 100% was the highest one could go !!!!!!! :-5
I must admit i hate that wehn they say 150% 200% how is that possibel FFS!!!!:wah:

spot;1332760 wrote: Oliver Goldsmith used it in She Stoops To Conquer in 1773: "Wasn't it lucky, eh?", HG Wells in 1905 in Kipps, it's got lots of history.

Carolly aint gone ye know:lips::wah:

we use it "up here" in the north too:lips:Most of the time i say fgs but sometimes i say ffs. :D

On the other hand one of my favourite words is Fabulous! and variations such as Fab and fabby,, and of course the full phrase being Absolutely Fabulous Darling!;)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

kazalala;1332771 wrote: I must admit i hate that wehn they say 150% 200% how is that possibel FFS!!!!:wah:

Carolly aint gone ye know:lips::wah:

we use it "up here" in the north too:lips:Most of the time i say fgs but sometimes i say ffs. :D

On the other hand one of my favourite words is Fabulous! and variations such as Fab and fabby,, and of course the full phrase being Absolutely Fabulous Darling!;)

Nah nah nah.............. the phrase should be Absolutely Fabulous Dwarling !:yh_rotfl
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

Lon;1332642 wrote: If I hear AMAZING & AWESOME one more time I'm gonna BARF. It's mostly young folks using those two words. The show was AWESOME. We had an AWESOME time.

I use awesome & amazing quite a bit and my friends do as well, its not just kids that say them.
Bruv

Overworked Words

Post by Bruv »

What about the latest way of saying goodbye "See you later" or sometimes Laters ?

I know it is strictly a group of words....but.

One that really winds me up is a missing word, when people invite you over "Mine" meaning my house, where did that one come from?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1332785 wrote: What about the latest way of saying goodbye "See you later" or sometimes Laters ?

I know it is strictly a group of words....but.

One that really winds me up is a missing word, when people invite you over "Mine" meaning my house, where did that one come from?

I think it is a sort of audible 'text speak' Bruv ! :yh_sigh:yh_eyerol Gawd, George Bernard Shaw will be turning in his grave!
Rapunzel

Overworked Words

Post by Rapunzel »

'At the end of the day' and '24/7' annoy me intensely.

Ground Zero I like because it sums up what it is aptly and succinctly. I can't think of any other description which wouldn't be overly emotive.

I annoy me because I can't be succinct in my writing. I'm way too wordy.

I also annoy me because since I've been on FG I've started to use way more Americanisms in my speech and writing. (And yes, I know that should read 'far more'). :wah:

Finally, I annoy me because I can't speak the way I write. I'm overcome with waves of insecurity and I muff it. Every time. :-5

Oh, and I like smilies. ;)
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

I like smilies too. I really think they are important on a site such as this. When there is no eye contact or body language to see, I think they can help to indicate the writer's mood, to the reader. :yh_wink :-6
Odie

Overworked Words

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1332801 wrote: 'At the end of the day' and '24/7' annoy me intensely.

Ground Zero I like because it sums up what it is aptly and succinctly. I can't think of any other description which wouldn't be overly emotive.

I annoy me because I can't be succinct in my writing. I'm way too wordy.

I also annoy me because since I've been on FG I've started to use way more Americanisms in my speech and writing. (And yes, I know that should read 'far more'). :wah:

Finally, I annoy me because I can't speak the way I write. I'm overcome with waves of insecurity and I muff it. Every time. :-5

Oh, and I like smilies. ;)

Ground zero does have affect on us all.

It is much more difficult to speak the way we want when writing as we have to take alot into consideration.

and the smiles are the best!

I love this one when I'm angry at someone!:yh_rotfl

Attached files
Lon

Overworked Words

Post by Lon »

:wah:Rapunzel;1332670 wrote:

The buckets are for Lon. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I'm glad I just had to read it instead of listening---------I'm just a wee bit queasy. :wah:
Rapunzel

Overworked Words

Post by Rapunzel »

Lon;1332840 wrote: :wah:

I'm glad I just had to read it instead of listening---------I'm just a wee bit queasy. :wah:

Lol. Glad you took it the right way. *winks & grins*
Lon

Overworked Words

Post by Lon »

How about "with all do respect"? I love spinach---NOT. or She is a lovely person---Not. Where the hell did this NOT thing come from?
G#Gill

Overworked Words

Post by G#Gill »

A snippet, overheard from a deep and meaningful conversation (?) between two teenagers outside a local coffee shop. Well it came from one of them really, the other said the occasional 'yeh' :yh_rotfl

Well you see, like, it's all, you know, like, something that people say, like, you know what I mean, like. It's wicked really, you know what I mean? Nah, that's like, gone now, you know what I mean? it's bad now, you know, like, not wicked, right? Cool went out with the dinosaurs, like, you know, like, know what I mean? Words change, right? It's like it's not street cred, like, you know. Gotta keep up like, innit, like, you know what I mean? Who knows what the words will be, you know, like, next week, know what I'm sayin?

Rapunzel

Overworked Words

Post by Rapunzel »

I don't like "with all due respect" because the person saying it obviously has no respect whatsoever for your point of view!

I absolutely loathe the phrase "Trust me"! Trust has to be earned.

If someone tells me to trust them I automatically think they're a dodgy character because they're trying to control you to force you to think their way.
spot

Overworked Words

Post by spot »

Lon;1332843 wrote: How about "with all do respect"? I love spinach---NOT. or She is a lovely person---Not. Where the hell did this NOT thing come from?

Whatever.

Return to “General Chit Chat”