Offshore Wind Can Deliver Cleaner, More Affordable Energy and More Jobs Than Offshore

OpenMind

Offshore Wind Can Deliver Cleaner, More Affordable Energy and More Jobs Than Offshore

Post by OpenMind »

Alternative Energy and Fuel News: Offshore Wind Can Deliver Cleaner, More Affordable Energy and More Jobs Than Offshore Oil

A report by Oceana "Wealth: Offshore Wind Can Deliver Cleaner, More Affordable Energy and More Jobs Than Offshore Oil", a comprehensive analysis shows that focusing investments on clean energy like offshore wind would be cost effective, more beneficial to job creation, and better for the environment

and ocean in a variety of ways than offshore oil and gas exploration and development. Authors of the report include Simon Mahan, Isaac Pearlman, and Jacqueline Savitz.

On the Atlantic coast, an area targeted for expansion of oil and gas activities, offshore wind can generate nearly 30% more electricity than offshore oil and gas resources combined. [More online.]

There is a 48 page downloadable pdf report with the article.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'm all for it, we need to develop energy sources like wind, tidal, solar and geothermal but we also need the backup of a controlable energy source for when the others dip whilst there's a surge in demand.

Sadly, given the problems with coal, gas and oil, that's likely to mean nuclear in the short to medium term.
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

I heard that solar panels sent to space can get like 10x more energy than those on earth, but we could never come to an agreement as to who controls the area of space that the satelites collecting the solar energy are in
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

littleCJelkton;1337694 wrote: I heard that solar panels sent to space can get like 10x more energy than those on earth, but we could never come to an agreement as to who controls the area of space that the satelites collecting the solar energy are in

Problem with that is how to deliver the power generated to the surface.

Another suggestion has been to put concentrating mirrors up there to run solar powered turbines to generate the power Earthside but the potential for weapons use is too high.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Bryn Mawr;1337686 wrote: I'm all for it, we need to develop energy sources like wind, tidal, solar and geothermal but we also need the backup of a controlable energy source for when the others dip whilst there's a surge in demand.

Sadly, given the problems with coal, gas and oil, that's likely to mean nuclear in the short to medium term.

The first problem, as I see it, is dealing with companies like BP. Until we've tackled that economic tickle, we won't be in a position to have to worry about which fuel to use as a back up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

OpenMind;1337817 wrote: The first problem, as I see it, is dealing with companies like BP. Until we've tackled that economic tickle, we won't be in a position to have to worry about which fuel to use as a back up.

As long as we're dependant on petroleum products we'll have firms like BP and Exxon - cut the dependence and we cut their power.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Bryn Mawr;1337833 wrote: As long as we're dependant on petroleum products we'll have firms like BP and Exxon - cut the dependence and we cut their power.

David and Goliath comes to mind. Even the USA is fairly powerless against such as BP. On the other hand, BP's weakness is it's public face. Unfortunately, I don't know the financial details behind alternative and renewable energy sources to be able to determine if BP would profit. They are heavily committed to oil, etc.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's no longer an academic debate. The oil will run out and we need alternatives the longer the delay finding alternatives the harder the change will be. Never mind chinese will be selling electric cars soon, just watch the take up on that.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

gmc;1338084 wrote: It's no longer an academic debate. The oil will run out and we need alternatives the longer the delay finding alternatives the harder the change will be. Never mind chinese will be selling electric cars soon, just watch the take up on that.

Such is the commercial politics of global companies.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”