GILL'S TALK AND MUTTER HUT - Part 2

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well we had some technical trouble with my original 'Talk & Mutter Hut' so Mr. Tombstone advised that I start a Part 2, so here it is. So this thread, just like the original, is open for all to post in, and about anything they like so long as it is civil and keeps within the TOS :yh_smiley:yh_wink:-6 You can also post pics etc.

I hope everybody is OK, and not too stressed in the run-up to Christmas :lips:

I, personally, refuse to be stressed this year, and as we did not have a Christmas last year, because of activities of others, which we had no control over, we are determined to have a really good celebration this year to make up for lost time ! :guitarist :-4

Nottingham City Council House.

Some of the grounds at Nottingham Castle.

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Hi Gill,

I hope you're well. I love the photos of Nottingham! Sending you some sunshine from sunny California. :-6
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1346564 wrote: Hi Gill,

I hope you're well. I love the photos of Nottingham! Sending you some sunshine from sunny California. :-6

Hi Zap, Nottingham is my home town, and where I was born, so I suppose I will always have a soft spot for it !

I'm OK thanks for asking, and I hope you are too. Ready for Christmas ? At least we've got all the decs and lights up and running, everything else will happen when it happens :wah:

Thanks for the sunshine, I think it's needed in the UK ! Particularly as it is getting colder again. !:-5
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The problem with the old thread appears to be two different indexes.

The first has 2102 posts and includes 533 posts by User44, the second has 1569 posts and, presumably doesn't.

As I guess Tombstone has already tried re-indexing the thread and you're now settling down nicely in your new home there isn't much to do about it - I just thought that you'd like to know that trouble is being trouble again.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

:wah: I just popped in to visit ya, Gill. It is cold and windy here in SE Georgia. No snow and no ice...but plenty of chill. I remember walking to school in Chicago in snow and 14 degrees below zero temps. Don't know how I did it.

Hubby and I will be enjoying a modest Christmas, much the same as last year. I have a little lighted tree and some small gifts in a big basket near it.

Come visit my AFTR's Daily Commute thread anytime. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I hate to tell you this but here where I live we're having record high temperatures. And beautiful sunrises and sunsets. If I can figure out how to load my photos, I'll share.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

What our snow looked like early December 2010 !

I hope you received my instructions on how to post your own photos on FG. I've just followed my own instructions with a photo of mine and hey presto ! So you should also be able to post your photos Zap !:-6:wah:

Attached files
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, snow! How pretty it is-but how cold!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Very cold for our area, Chonsi, stayed well below freezing every day, coldest was -12C during that first lot of snow. That's our eucalyptus tree in that photo - I bet the poor little Aussie was shivering like mad, and wishing it was down under in the warm ! :wah: The forecasters have cheered us up no end :yh_eyerol- it's going to get colder again, and will probably snow again, and they are more or less guarranteeing a white Christmas in England this year. Snow makes everything look so fresh and clean, but oh the cold ! :-5
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, it is pretty but cold. It is about 20 here, wind chills at 0, but no snow. (thank goodness)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

One day, I will try to remove the 'blue' tinge in this set of photos, probably due to the brightness of the snow. :-3

This is a view from our sitting room, and if it had been a clearer day, the view would stretch as far as the next county Leicestershire (pronounced Lestershire !). To half left is towards Lincolnshire, and also on a clear day we can see the road rising out of Grantham going south east, and that is about 20 miles from us as the crow flies ! And people ask why on earth do we want to move from such a view. It's the youth culture in a residential area that is driving us away.:-5

Attached files
Helen

Post by Helen »

morning all.............

just spent the last 36+hrs in bed being very sick !! hence the fact its now 6-30am on a chilly wednesday morning and i cant sleep. have managed to keep down my 2nd cup of tea but i still feel a bit shakey !

my husband and i :wah: have got to go and do a few official bits today, changing bank details and council stuff to my new married name and yes im going to do a bit of panic buying, due to the weather weve been forcast for the next few days............ as soon as we get anything white falling from the sky in this part of england, everything grinds to a halt.

kevin drives milk tankers etc when hes not delivering wheelie bins and is always called in to work in bad weather cos hes brave enuff to cope with it !! and they know if he cant do it then the weathers got to be bad.

he dosnt want me out and about with my leg still not being right and him being away so hence the stocking up on food stuff.

weve been invited to my youngests for xmas and just incase we cant get across there at least i'll have a xmas lunch in for us..........
Helen

Post by Helen »

gill, i need your home addy again, when i was having trouble on here a while ago i lost all my in box pm's !!!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Helen;1346775 wrote: gill, i need your home addy again, when i was having trouble on here a while ago i lost all my in box pm's !!!

Just sent it to you on phone !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Helen;1346774 wrote: morning all.............

just spent the last 36+hrs in bed being very sick !! hence the fact its now 6-30am on a chilly wednesday morning and i cant sleep. have managed to keep down my 2nd cup of tea but i still feel a bit shakey !

my husband and i :wah: have got to go and do a few official bits today, changing bank details and council stuff to my new married name and yes im going to do a bit of panic buying, due to the weather weve been forcast for the next few days............ as soon as we get anything white falling from the sky in this part of england, everything grinds to a halt.

kevin drives milk tankers etc when hes not delivering wheelie bins and is always called in to work in bad weather cos hes brave enuff to cope with it !! and they know if he cant do it then the weathers got to be bad.

he dosnt want me out and about with my leg still not being right and him being away so hence the stocking up on food stuff.

weve been invited to my youngests for xmas and just incase we cant get across there at least i'll have a xmas lunch in for us..........

Ere Mrs you can't go being ill over Christmas you know - it's not allowed ! :-5

I bet it feels strange being a proper Mrs, with a Mr ! :-6 I hope the wedding went off OK and you had a good celebration afterwards, and I really hope your bug didn't cause any upsets to mar the occasion for you. :-3

It would be lovely to see some pics of the 'do' although maybe you aint got the wherewithall to put them on this thread, or on the internet anywhere. I'll just have to imagine you getting blotto and taking on all comers ! :wah::yh_wink

I hope you soon get much better, Helen. :-6
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi to everybody, hope all is well at your neck of the woods. We've had a weather warning for the end of the week and the weekend in the UK, so it's back to as we were! I hope my boiler carries on through the cold weather, other wise there will be a mushroom cloud suddenly appear over my house :-5 I'm hoping to go to Norfolk early next week, for Christmas and if the boiler fails again, I will not feel happy at leaving it, so we will have to stay at home grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Hi Gill,

Thanks for the excellent instructions on how to load my photos. I tried yesterday and I can get only so far and then it stops. Maybe it's something in my computer. I know I was successful before because there are 2 photos I uploaded-one of me holding a piece of a meteor (pretending to hold--it weighed tons) and another of me in a cheesecake pose about 30 years ago with long red hair. I don't know where that came from! lol.

I hope you get to go to Norfolk for the holidays. Keeping my fingers crossed on the boiler.

Stay warm. :-6
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I reckon we should see an up-to-date pic of you Mrs ! :yh_tong2 It's no good having a pic of you when you were in your 20's with long red hair, tut. :yh_eyerol

Maybe it won't load your pics because they are too big. What I do is load them into my 'my home' on photobucket (it's easy enough to get your own 'home', I think you just have to register there - it was a long time ago when I did it !), then you can 'edit' or 'resize' your pic so that FG will accept it. Just follow the instructions etc. Be aware though that your pics may be viewable on the general photobucket pages.

This is what I did with this photo of my mum and dad on their narrow boat on the River Trent at Nottingham. A few weeks later I was looking for something else on photobucket and I came across this pic of my mum and dad !!!
Helen

Post by Helen »

G#Gill;1346797 wrote: Ere Mrs you can't go being ill over Christmas you know - it's not allowed ! :-5

I bet it feels strange being a proper Mrs, with a Mr ! :-6 I hope the wedding went off OK and you had a good celebration afterwards, and I really hope your bug didn't cause any upsets to mar the occasion for you. :-3

It would be lovely to see some pics of the 'do' although maybe you aint got the wherewithall to put them on this thread, or on the internet anywhere. I'll just have to imagine you getting blotto and taking on all comers ! :wah::yh_wink

I hope you soon get much better, Helen. :-6

hiya, feelin loads better now though still a bit "squeezy " lol just keeping to a bit of toast and a cuppa for now.

everything went off beautifully except when it got to me saying my bit, i burst into tears and wiped me nose and me mascara in kevs new suit :) and i didnt have me glasses to sign the register and had the pen upside down !!!

we had the reception straight afterwards cos they dont like small kids in the pub after 8pm so everyone went home at about 4-30pm and the oldies came back in the evening. there was masses of food left over, which sadly had to be thrown out afterwards, though i did manage to salvage a bit of it :sneaky:

we stayed til about 11pm cos we'd both been up since first light and we were shattered. to be honest i was glad to be back in me armchair with a cuppa !!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh it didn't matter you having a bit of a cry. It was a very emotional time for you, Helen. All that shyte that had happened to you for so many years before, and here you are standing beside that knight in shining armour who rescued you !!!!!! It would make anybody weep with emotion. It's a proper romantic tale, and it's got everybody reading this reaching for the tissues. :-1:-1:-1 These sort of things only happen in the films, after all !

At least you will have various bullet points to remember and smile about in future years. Some folks' weddings are very uneventful and bland, now you couldn't say that about yours ! ..................

Will his lordship's suit clean up OK ? :lips: :yh_wink:yh_whistl:yh_glasse:yh_blush:yh_giggle:yh_sigh:yh_flower
Helen

Post by Helen »

oh poo, dont know wot happened there but i just deleted what id written !!!

the rain is here now and in gills words its blowin a hooly out there.......... its sposed to turn to snow over night but i dont care now, shoppings done, heating on, curtains drawn, wallys just had his last walk for the day and we are snug as bugs in rugs for the evening........ my idea of heaven !!!

so gonna miss kev when he goes back to work next week but at least its only daily til jan 12th then he starts working away again............. and at least hes got a job to go to and for that im truely thankful..............

gill,

keep an eye out for the postman !!! x x
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just got back, having been out since late morning. It was blowin a hooligan this afternoon, and the rain turned to snow and left a dusting on the car, which promptly froze - gawd it's bloody code art there now ! We have to go out in the car in the morning early, so we have left the car on one of the side roads just off the main road just in case it snows an amount during the night. It is well below freezing now, and any snow that fell this afternoon is frozen solid, so we're hoping that the authorities keep on top of the gritting over night. At least we will avoid having to try to get up our road !

Good for you Helen, you keep indoors and warm ! :-6:wah:

But why have I got to keep my eyes open for the post man ?????

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Good day everybody! Well it didn't snow over night over Nottingham, but I think it did elsewhere, but not a lot it would seem. It may well snow tonight, and certainly we've been warned about Saturday grrrrrrrrrrr. However on one of the late evening bulletins, they reckoned that the snow wouldn't be as heavy as first thought. Well we'll see about that, when Scotland and northern England are trying to dig themselves out of snow drifts !

Been out most of the day, so only just got online. Got to catch up on threads etc. Hope everybody is fit and well - sorry if you've got the lurgey ! Hurry up and get better !

Because of the doubt over the weather, we have put our trip to Norfolk on hold for the moment, as we don't want to be stranded by snow and icey roads. Our water in the static is turned off, and so is the gas, although I would have preferred to have left the gas on so our boiler could kick in when the temp got very low. However, there has been a leak at the boiler, so until that can be sorted, we cannot have the gas on, or the water. Although we have three halogen heaters, so we could have a warm van, it would only need a power failure and we would be in the shyte ! So we're staying at home and having our Christmas here. Could be worse - there are many homeless people around, trying to find somewhere warm to sleep at night! Many of these people are victims of circumstance, through no fault of their own, and there but for the grace of God go I, and all that. It will not get any better either, with the credit crunch. Happy Christmas !:-1
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Gill:-6

Great to see you. Too bad you can't travel to your static caravan for awhile.

I spoke to my Irish cousin Liz today. She's told me that they have to travel from Kerry to Wicklow today and dread the fact that they might be stuck there due to the snow. Jeez, you all are getting so much snow during the last few years...way more than we get.

Stay warm and safe.:)
Helen

Post by Helen »

hi gill and kathy,

we are still snowless yet my daughter who lives about 20mins drive away is just about snowed in !!! been watching the news and ireland has had the worst weather for 25yrs !!! most of scotland and england are trying to recover form last weeks and now they are being hit by more...........

we've been given severe weather warnings for tonite and tomorrow too but then they did the same for today and last nite and we are still waiting !!! kevin is due back at work on monday and he thinks hes gonna get sent to sheffield to get all the other lads and lorries, vans etc back down here for christmas. if this weather keeps up for the month they are now predicting, im not gonna be getting a lot of sleep next week, hes been trained to drive big lorries in these conditions but its the other fools and know it alls on the roads that scare me !!

its a shame you cant get away gill but as you said, better safe than sorry...........
Helen

Post by Helen »

sunday morning, 9-30am..................... not a flake of snow in site anywhere !!!! ( seems like we are the only place in cornwall to escape ) bitterly cold though. kev was called back into work last nite to drive the milk tankers and one place he went to in devon was minus fifteen !!!! hes in bed soundo now but will be gone again at 3pm to do it all again !!! wallace is curled up with him and dosnt look remotely interested in going out yet, thank heavens.

me sciatica is still givin me grief, looks like another visit to the doc before too many days are out !!!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Helen;1347267 wrote: sunday morning, 9-30am..................... not a flake of snow in site anywhere !!!! ( seems like we are the only place in cornwall to escape ) bitterly cold though. kev was called back into work last nite to drive the milk tankers and one place he went to in devon was minus fifteen !!!! hes in bed soundo now but will be gone again at 3pm to do it all again !!! wallace is curled up with him and dosnt look remotely interested in going out yet, thank heavens.

me sciatica is still givin me grief, looks like another visit to the doc before too many days are out !!!

Hi Helen,

Sorry that I'm late in hearing this good news....

I've just read that you've married. WOW...that's wonderful. When did this happen, and how was your wedding day? Did you have a great reception...

Good for you Helen. Lots of happiness with your new life! Any pics????

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Gill:-6

How are you? Any pictures of the snow there?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi everbody, It is very very cold here, but as yet we have no snow in Nottingham area. We are still having to pour very hot water on that damn condenser out-flow pipe!!! Now we have a blocked drain so any water that we pour onto that damn pipe to thaw it out, won't flow away down the drain, but leave an ever increasing freezing lake outside our front door ! We have called in a drain unblocker company, as we haven't got the equipment to sort it out - it needs a bit more than a rod !! They will be coming tomorrow. Also coming tomorrow is a maintenance company that deals with the central heating that was installed last year. They said that they will do an assessment of the situation, and if it needs an alteration to the outside installation pipes, they will insist that the original installers return and do the job properly so we don't keep having this freezing up problem. (our next door neighbour has a straight down condenser out-flow pipe max length is 10 inches, which goes to a soak-away under the concrete front path - they have had no problem whatsoever of freezing up - whereas our 12 foot long condenser out-flow pipe freezes up all the damn time!). Still, let's hope that it can be sorted in time for next winter eh? :yh_rotfl

I hope you are all OK and those in the hot climates are managing to keep cool (swap you LOL), and those with very cold weather, managing to keep warm !

:-6
Helen

Post by Helen »

Kathy Ellen;1347291 wrote: Hi Helen,

Sorry that I'm late in hearing this good news....

I've just read that you've married. WOW...that's wonderful. When did this happen, and how was your wedding day? Did you have a great reception...

Good for you Helen. Lots of happiness with your new life! Any pics????

hi kathy,

it was all a bit whirlwind to say the least. ive known him for a good many years but as life moves on, we did too and we lost touch for a long while.

anyway to cut a long story short, his neice added him on facebook, he looked through her list of friends and found me and sent me a private message. im afraid i stalled him for a while but we eventually met up and havnt been apart since....... 18weeks.........

we had a smallish wedding, just family and close friends and even the weather warmed up for just the one day !!!

we didnt go away anywhere. what with christmas coming up and various committments he had and the wedding aswell, it just wasnt possible so we are planning a getaway in the spring........

no pics as yet, waititng to see what everyone took first.............
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi Kathy ! Hi Helen ! Hope you're both well and warm :-6 Hey, Helen, Mr. Posty arrived this morning with a big cardboard envelope !!!! What a lovely surprise ! And it had a lovely pic of your town on January ! Many thanks Mrs, and you're right they last a lot longer than Christmas cards do - not bad delivery time, you sent it Thursday and I got it Monday, and the Royal Mail are having delivery troubles because of the weather conditions, even though we have no snow in Nottingham and I don't think you have any where you are ! It's all the in-between places and roads that are the problem :yh_eyerol By the way, we have been warned locally that Thursday will present us with a whole heap of snow, so we're going to build up our larder ! :thinking:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well, that was a damp squib ! I think we got about a cm. of snow :yh_rotfl

Still I don't mind no snow really, but I do wish the temps would lift a little, just to help us out with thawing out that damn condenser pipe! :-5
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I have to inform you that I am no longer a moderator on Forum Garden. I did ask Admin to remove my name from the moderator list as soon as possible, a few days ago, and gave my reasons. Last night/early morning (UK time), my name was removed from the list, with a short 'thank you for your service'.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

YouTube - Silent night - Sinead O'Connor.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I think this one should be for Kathy Ellen, Merry Christmas to Noo Joisey !

YouTube - Enya - Oíche Chiúin - Oiche Chiuin (Silent Night) video clip
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

YouTube - Gloucester Cathedral Choir - In the Bleak Midwinter
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

YouTube - See Amid The Winter's Snow
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G#Gill;1347901 wrote: I think this one should be for Kathy Ellen, Merry Christmas to Noo Joisey !

YouTube - Enya - Oíche Chiúin - Oiche Chiuin (Silent Night) video clip

Ahhhhh, thank you Gill. That was so nice of you to think of me...I appreciate it!

Did you know that Enya (Clannad) is related to me. Her family, the Brennans, were cousins on my Dad's side.

When I was younger, I spend many a great night in their Dad's pub, Leo's Tavern.

You brought back some very lovely memories for me.

Thanks xx
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well that is a nice surprise ! You related to the Clannads :-6 I'm not sure why I picked Enya for you, cos it could just as easily have been Sinead ! After all they're both Irish :yh_wink Each of those tracks has a charm of their own, and I love them both, except I can't understand a word of what Enya's saying :wah:

Those three carols that I have posted are each a favourite of mine. I sung them all when I was in the church choir as a teenager ! (now that's going back a couple of years :yh_rotfl )
santa

Post by santa »

Merry Christmas Gill!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well thank you very much Santa ! You be careful whilst you're out and about and very busy - we don't want a peg-leg Santa !!! :wah:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Happy Holidays to you and family Gill. I hope you have a spectacular and sparkly day.

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh bless you, Kathy, thanks and I wish the same for you too ! :-6:-4:guitarist
Peg

Post by Peg »

G#Gill;1348063 wrote: Well thank you very much Santa ! You be careful whilst you're out and about and very busy - we don't want a peg-leg Santa !!! :wah:
You called? :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Very good Peg, a merry Christmas to you ! :-6
Helen

Post by Helen »

just want to say merry christmas to everyone here, im off to kevins mums first thing, delivering her presents then we are spending the day at my youngest daughters.......... heaven knows what we are going to wake up to tomorrow, the tempreture tonight in one of our biggest cities ( PLYMOUTH ) down here is supposed to be MINUS 14 so god knows wot it will actually be out in the countryside.

have a good one folks, see you soon xxxx:driving:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Enjoy your Christmas, both of you, and come back safe ! :-6:-6
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

We're off to spend Sunday with friends and more than likely staying there over night, then we can all indulge in a little alcoholic beverage without the worry of driving ! :-6

Not likely to be online till probably Monday evening sometime. :-3 :sneaky: :wah:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Helen and Gill:-4

Hope that you both have had a lovely holiday. Have fun on Sunday Gill.

We have a mega northeastern coming up the Atlantic coast tomorrow. Should bring anywhere from 12" to 18" inches of snow plus gusty winds......oy vey.

I'm just glad that I'm on holidays for a week and don't have to drive:guitarist
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just get stocked up with lots of food and drinks, Kathy, and stay indoors and keep warm !!! Take care XXX

Return to “ForumGarden Hotel”