Ny Last Unemployment Check

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

I've reached a milestone. This Sunday I file for my very last unemployment check. I'm at the end of my first 20 week extension and I'm not reapplying for another. On July 13th my first Social Security check will be deposited in my checking account. I will be officially retired. My last day of work was June 26, 2010 at Intel Corp. They shut down the fab where I worked and laid off the remaining 140 workers that stayed to the bitter end. At 60 years old, at that time, I quickly realized I wasn't going to find a decent job in the terrible recession so I set myself up for retirement. It all come to fruition in a bit under one month. Yippee! I made it!
Odie

Post by Odie »

bobmielke;1361814 wrote: I've reached a milestone. This Sunday I file for my very last unemployment check. I'm at the end of my first 20 week extension and I'm not reapplying for another. On July 13th my first Social Security check will be deposited in my checking account. I will be officially retired. My last day of work was June 26, 2010 at Intel Corp. They shut down the fab where I worked and laid off the remaining 140 workers that stayed to the bitter end. At 60 years old, at that time, I quickly realized I wasn't going to find a decent job in the terrible recession so I set myself up for retirement. It all come to fruition in a bit under one month. Yippee! I made it!

congrats!
Life is just to short for drama.
Lon

Post by Lon »

bobmielke;1361814 wrote: I've reached a milestone. This Sunday I file for my very last unemployment check. I'm at the end of my first 20 week extension and I'm not reapplying for another. On July 13th my first Social Security check will be deposited in my checking account. I will be officially retired. My last day of work was June 26, 2010 at Intel Corp. They shut down the fab where I worked and laid off the remaining 140 workers that stayed to the bitter end. At 60 years old, at that time, I quickly realized I wasn't going to find a decent job in the terrible recession so I set myself up for retirement. It all come to fruition in a bit under one month. Yippee! I made it!

Welcome to the ranks of Social Security Recipients. Just think, in three more years you will be eligible for Medicare-------if it's still around.
cars

Post by cars »

I'll be sending congrats, in a littlte under a month when retirement becomes official. Don't put the horse before the cart, it's bad luck.
Cars :)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Well done I'm 2 years away from retirement will be 66. I still work full time 10 hour day I counting the day till I retire so looking forward to it.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

Thank you all. One of the many reasons I decided to go for early retirement is our screw loose government. They could take all our benefits away tomorrow with the stroke of a pen. If you don't think so consider this, in 2005 congress voted into law a bill that put an earnings cap on eligibility for veteran's medical benefits. Because of that law I, as a four year veteran of the Vietnam War, have no medical benefits. I must wait another year until I'm poor enough to qualify. Funny, they didn't tell me about that when I fought for this damn country 35 years ago. I don't want to give them a chance to put me on the street with another stroke of that pen, raising the minimum age to receive social security checks. I'll be grandfathered in as of July 13th.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

bobmielke;1361852 wrote: Thank you all. One of the many reasons I decided to go for early retirement is our screw loose government. They could take all our benefits away tomorrow with the stroke of a pen. If you don't think so consider this, in 2005 congress voted into law a bill that put an earnings cap on eligibility for veteran's medical benefits. Because of that law I, as a four year veteran of the Vietnam War, have no medical benefits. I must wait another year until I'm poor enough to qualify. Funny, they didn't tell me about that when I fought for this damn country 35 years ago. I don't want to give them a chance to put me on the street with another stroke of that pen, raising the minimum age to receive social security checks. I'll be grandfathered in as of July 13th.This was a law the Bush administration backed 100%. It's worth noting that in 2005 republicans ran the White House, House Of Representatives and Senate, while most democrats opposed this bill.

And this was done while giving tax breaks to those rich assholes whose business assets and practices we went into service to protect and defend while they busied themselves seeking deferments for them and their own sons. Disgusting.

It's no surprise really because Bush ran from his responsibility by daddy protecting his chicken-ass and Cheney received some of those deferments. Check out the rest of the republican's service record too.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

So you have officially become an old codger, congratulations. My older brother retires this year, for some reason that makes me feel old.

Return to “Work Employment”