computer problems

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

Recently I have been having problems with Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I had downloaded google chrome and it freezes.

Firefox is showing ads on facebook where there is no X to get rid of them

Internet Explore freezes and says program has stopped.

I have shut my computer down, and cleared cookies. I have run my security system and malwarebytes.

Now I now have a notification for a friend request which when I press 'reject selected friend request', it says done, but the notification is still there.

hoping someone can help me.
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

You're using a Microsoft operating system. It might help if we were told which - is it Vista or 7?

Do you have backups off the computer of all the files you want to retain which didn't come with the computer? If you don't, that ought to be your immediate priority. If the question doesn't make sense, say so.

As for improving your personal computing experience once you have your backup sorted, my first reaction would be for you to buy a new computer. My second would be for you to hire someone to restore your existing computer to its factory setting.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1362438 wrote: You're using a Microsoft operating system. It might help if we were told which - is it Vista or 7?

Do you have backups off the computer of all the files you want to retain which didn't come with the computer? If you don't, that ought to be your immediate priority. If the question doesn't make sense, say so.

As for improving your personal computing experience once you have your backup sorted, my first reaction would be for you to buy a new computer. My second would be for you to hire someone to restore your existing computer to its factory setting.

sorry, it's Vista home version and 3.6.18 firefox.

I do have a back up system and will run restore now, thanks spot.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

now that my computer is up and working, I no longer have any volume.

when on youtube, I make sure its says 'unmute'

wires and plugs were checked.

could it be something that I did?

thanks in advance.:-6
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

Have you opened your volume control and unmuted that too?

If you can't open your volume control, you need to install an audio driver.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1364973 wrote: Have you opened your volume control and unmuted that too?

If you can't open your volume control, you need to install an audio driver.

yes, I knew to open the volume control and unmute, thanks.
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

You've turned on the speaker power? I know you might not be using speakers but we can only guess until you tell us.

So far we know the computer hardware is working and the correct driver is installed. That was the point of the volume control question.

Have you gone into the Music folder and tried playing the sample track?
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1365011 wrote: You've turned on the speaker power? I know you might not be using speakers but we can only guess until you tell us.

So far we know the computer hardware is working and the correct driver is installed. That was the point of the volume control question.

Have you gone into the Music folder and tried playing the sample track?

I do have speakers and they work.

I have only been on youtube, even when I unmute, there is no sound.

not sure where I would find a music folder as I don't have anything stored.

thanks
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

Odie;1365032 wrote: I do have speakers and they work.

I have only been on youtube, even when I unmute, there is no sound.

not sure where I would find a music folder as I don't have anything stored.

thanks

bump
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

I think you'll find that if you go through the thread as it relates to sound and check that all the statements are true, your sound is now working.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1365254 wrote: I think you'll find that if you go through the thread as it relates to sound and check that all the statements are true, your sound is now working.

I've been doing that for two weeks now trying to listen to Oscars kauto star and AFTR's songs....still no sound.
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

And you can't be bothered to test your sound system with, say, Windows Media Player, to see whether it's actually working?

(that's another way of writing "Have you gone into the Music folder and tried playing the sample track").
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1365288 wrote: And you can't be bothered to test your sound system with, say, Windows Media Player, to see whether it's actually working?

(that's another way of writing "Have you gone into the Music folder and tried playing the sample track").

never-mind spot as I have gone into windows media player and music folder....no sound
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

I can't guess unless you say, you see.

If someone looks at the machine they'll turn the sound on for you. After two weeks of you staring at it that sounds simplest.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1365297 wrote: I can't guess unless you say, you see.

If someone looks at the machine they'll turn the sound on for you. After two weeks of you staring at it that sounds simplest.

I just told you everything.
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

Odie;1365657 wrote: I just told you everything.

I'm sure you think so. Maybe you could buy a new laptop.
Oscar Namechange

computer problems

Post by Oscar Namechange »

This may help:

Why wont my computer speakers work? - Yahoo! Answers
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

oscar;1365661 wrote: This may help:

It'd be simpler if it was a laptop, you know.
Oscar Namechange

computer problems

spot;1365662 wrote: It'd be simpler if it was a laptop, you know.

Then maybe this alternative link may be of use.?

Speakers on my laptop wont work? - Yahoo! Answers

Maybe you could help In a similar fashion next time rather than adopting the method of picking the thread to pieces?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

oscar;1365663 wrote: Maybe you could help In a similar fashion next time rather than adopting the method of picking the thread to pieces?The quality of my advice in this thread is something I'd happily stand by, thank you.
Oscar Namechange

computer problems

spot;1365664 wrote: The quality of my advice in this thread is something I'd happily stand by, thank you. The quality of advice loses It'self In the churlish put downs that are added to your posts.

"And you can't be bothered to test your sound system with, say, Windows Media Player, to see whether it's actually working?

Or

"I'm sure you think so. Maybe you could buy a new laptop."

It smacks of patronising jibes at a member who simply does not understand her laptop.

I prefer helpful links In plain English.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

:-5oscar;1365661 wrote: This may help:

you know oscar these threads are here for mods to help us, your the only member who took enough time to attach the attachment, and as I read down, Mike just checked my speaker wires and one was placed in the wrong receptable.

thank you for your help as this has taken forever here to try and get some respectful help, and why on god's greens earth, why would I go out and buy a new laptop when my own computer is fine.:-5
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

This is Odie we're talking about. Her problems are more extensive than whether she can keep a computer running from one month to the next.
CARLA

computer problems

Post by CARLA »

Spot is correct you have lost your sound drivers and need to reinstall them as you have no sound option at this point as you have no sound. Go into control panel sound and see if there is anything showing in "Sound and Audio Devices" In the device tab there should be a device show if there isn't you need to drop it down and select one if there aren't any you need to do a system restore back a few week and hope it picks up the drivers for your sound. I can always logon to your machine if you are comfortable with that later tonight when I get home and look at your sound settings.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Betty Boop

computer problems

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1365667 wrote: :-5

you know oscar these threads are here for mods to help us, your the only member who took enough time to attach the attachment, and as I read down, Mike just checked my speaker wires and one was placed in the wrong receptable.

thank you for your help as this has taken forever here to try and get some respectful help, and why on god's greens earth, why would I go out and buy a new laptop when my own computer is fine.:-5

I'd be too embarrassed to admit that :wah:
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1365668 wrote: This is Odie we're talking about. Her problems are more extensive than whether she can keep a computer running from one month to the next.

you should talk?

and just where are your mods and why aren't they here?:lips:
Betty Boop

computer problems

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1365672 wrote: you should talk?

I'm here, I'm not spot's mod either, what do you want with us? Carla was here too
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

You can't just squeal off down the Contact Us channel any longer, can you. What you or anyone else can do is click "report post" because we've made it wonderfully fair. Every single supporting member on site who wants to will discuss your complaint and adjudicate, not just the mods or the admin or the owner. How great is that.

Put up or shut up.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1365669 wrote: Spot is correct you have lost your sound drivers and need to reinstall them as you have no sound option at this point as you have no sound. Go into control panel sound and see if there is anything showing in "Sound and Audio Devices" In the device tab there should be a device show if there isn't you need to drop it down and select one if there aren't any you need to do a system restore back a few week and hope it picks up the drivers for your sound. I can always logon to your machine if you are comfortable with that later tonight when I get home and look at your sound settings.

funny how now, after all this time mods appear?

I just told oscar it is not what you think it is, it was a wire put into the wrong receptable.
Betty Boop

computer problems

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1365678 wrote: funny how now, after all this time mods appear?

I just told oscar it is not what you think it is, it was a wire put into the wrong receptable.

What do you mean?? I've been about for the last two days or more, I've noticed Flopstock online reading, Bryn's been about.

What do you want us as mods to do?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

computer problems

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Excuse me?

It is not an obligation on the Mods or anyone else to try to help here (and whatever you might think, Spot was trying to help) it is a voluntry effort by those who think they can aid another member in distress.

Maybe you should remember that next time you ask for help.
Oscar Namechange

computer problems

spot;1365668 wrote: This is Odie we're talking about. Her problems are more extensive than whether she can keep a computer running from one month to the next.

You just can't help yourself It seems.

Your constant need to pick, flame and belittle has all the Claustrophobic qualities of a rancid phart trapped In a spacesuit.
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

oscar;1365681 wrote: You just can't help yourself It seems.

Your constant need to pick, flame and belittle has all the Claustrophobic qualities of a rancid phart trapped In a spacesuit.

The pair of you are FG's comic relief, we're long past the stage where either of you is likely to get anything but derision. Not from me anyhow. Live with it.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

computer problems

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1365683 wrote: The pair of you are FG's comic relief, we're long past the stage where either of you is likely to get anything but derision. Not from me anyhow. Live with it.

Enough! There is no need for this :-(
spot

computer problems

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1365685 wrote: Enough! There is no need for this :-(

Ah.

Happen not.

Just as well I didn't mention Panto Andy then.
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

spot;1365675 wrote: You can't just squeal off down the Contact Us channel any longer, can you. What you or anyone else can do is click "report post" because we've made it wonderfully fair. Every single supporting member on site who wants to will discuss your complaint and adjudicate, not just the mods or the admin or the owner. How great is that.

Put up or shut up.

I did not just scream contact us!

I've been tryiing snce August 13th, which was last Saturday, if you again did read back on posts and no one but you has tried to help me and that was in a very negative scarcastic attitude.

how dare you just because you now own forumgarden? -and to this day you wonder why so many members don't come back? or come back and laave yet again? even some newbies don't come back anymore as they have read your threads and realised what your like and have moved on.

Bryn nicely stepped in and tried to help, but his suggestiions just did't work and I thanked him for his help, he's your brother, learn from him just how much time he has spent helping me here always and via emaill for another computer problm. He spot, is the best man for your job.

and as oscar has repeadly said to you 'spot why do you just pick on and harass Odie?'

that's it I say, enough is enough!:mad:
Betty Boop

computer problems

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1365687 wrote: I did not just scream contact us!

I've been tryiing snce August 13th, which was last Saturday, if you again did read back on posts and no one but you has tried to help me and that was in a very negative scarcastic attitude.

how dare you just because you now own forumgarden? -and to this day you wonder why so many members don't come back? or come back and laave yet again? even some newbies don't come back anymore as they have read your threads and realised what your like and have moved on.

Bryn nicely stepped in and tried to help, but his suggestiions just did't work and I thanked him for his help, he's your brother, learn from him just how much time he has spent helping me here always and via emaill for another computer problm. He spot, is the best man for your job.

and as oscar has repeadly said to you 'spot why do you just pick on and harass Odie?'

Calm down Odie, the site owner, Bryn has just rapped spot's (not the fg owner) knuckles.

Spot actually tried his best to help you as he has on many occasions, sadly he makes an assumption that most people basically know their way round a computer.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

computer problems

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1365687 wrote: I did not just scream contact us!

If you don't mind, Spot does not own the Garden and the one person who has driven another member to leave since I took over is you.

I am saying enough is enough - to both of you. Stop this stupid squabbling and ignore each other.

You bristle and bite whenever you think that someone is getting at you - and in the end they do whether they started by trying to help or not.

Spot is far too quick to get sarky when a basic question gets a complete non-answer.

Enough is enough - stop bickering!
Odie

computer problems

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1365691 wrote: If you don't mind, Spot does not own the Garden and the one person who has driven another member to leave since I took over is you.

I am saying enough is enough - to both of you. Stop this stupid squabbling and ignore each other.

You bristle and bite whenever you think that someone is getting at you - and in the end they do whether they started by trying to help or not.

Spot is far too quick to get sarky when a basic question gets a complete non-answer.

Enough is enough - stop bickering!

I apologize for re-opening my thread just after you just lockup it and I will lock it now and it will stay locked by me.

I just wanted to say I did not cause someone to leave here, she left on her own as the only reason she came back was to tear Jazzy apart only to find out Jazzy had lied to her.....then she kept on putting up complaint threads about stupid war threads when no one asked her to post there.......and more compliant threads about other members here as well and yet you think it was my fault that they were about me even though she never admitted it, but you already knew how much she lied as she called spot a liar, myself , Jazzy and others.......so please re-read all of her threads and see just what other members had to say about her before you jump all over me.

and I'm sorry I had to bring this up here..it was just for you to understand.

and again....thank-you for all of your help and guidance through here and via email.

Joan

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”