Computer File knowledge help needed..

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Can anyone help me?

I receive restricted E Mails with attachments.

The one's that come from the Council with an attachment will not allow me to open them.

I get a pop up saying that I need to download a file to enable me to facilitate access to the enclosed attachment.

When I try to download that file, It tells me that downloading this may harm my computer and my anti-virus kicks In.

I do not want to disable my anti-virus so what do I do?

Also, when I need to send back an E mail with restricted Information, how do I do it?

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

I'd phone the council and ask if it was actually them that sent it. I've had viruses sent to me in what appears to be a an e-mail from a regular contact, the virus sender used his collected addresses to e-mail every one in his contact list infecting quite a few of his contacts. I believe it is one of the more common ways of disseminating malware and viruses, although I do not profess to be an expert by any means.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1366260 wrote: I'd phone the council and ask if it was actually them that sent it. I've had viruses sent to me in what appears to be a an e-mail from a regular contact, the virus sender used his collected addresses to e-mail every one in his contact list infecting quite a few of his contacts. I believe it is one of the more common ways of disseminating malware and viruses, although I do not profess to be an expert by any means. It is them mate. They come through as an attachment but also have the dept, title of sender etc etc of the planning department In a message with It.

I know what you mean though, I never open an attachment unless It has a message with It saying who It's from and what It Is concerning. If I don't recognise the sender, I delete.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

Just because it's from someone associated with the council doesn't mean it's written on a council-vetted computer, it might as easily be from someone's personal machine. Regardless of where it's from the source is distributing malware and the sender needs to be persuaded that's the case so the machine gets treated.

Meanwhile, opening the attachment would be a mistake on your part even if you should work out how.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366272 wrote:

Meanwhile, opening the attachment would be a mistake on your part even if you should work out how. Since posting, my husband has managed to open them. Thank You anyway.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1366274 wrote: Since posting, my husband has managed to open them. Thank You anyway.

I expect I could unscrew the cover plate to a world war two 100kg incendiary bomb too.

Has it started to tick yet?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366276 wrote: I expect I could unscrew the cover plate to a world war two 100kg incendiary bomb too.

Has it started to tick yet? I have no shame In admitting that I am a bit of a divv sometimes. The accompanying message In E Mail when you scrolled right down to the bottom, had a link that you had to click on and verify yourself as the receiver before It let you open the attachment. Mr O of course spotted It Immediately.... Doh

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”