Hypomania

koan

Hypomania

Post by koan »

For any of those who have wondered what the heck is wrong with me, we now have an answer.

For better or worse, I have hypomania. Finally decided to work it out after I submitted myself to a stress situation this week in order to bring on another creative wave. I expect I'll be absent for a bit, writing and painting like a literal madwoman.

Hopefully I'll learn a lot more about it quickly so I can find out how to avoid the negative sides of the problem but it sure has its up sides.
Bryn Mawr

Hypomania

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan;1373458 wrote: For any of those who have wondered what the heck is wrong with me, we now have an answer.

For better or worse, I have hypomania. Finally decided to work it out after I submitted myself to a stress situation this week in order to bring on another creative wave. I expect I'll be absent for a bit, writing and painting like a literal madwoman.

Hopefully I'll learn a lot more about it quickly so I can find out how to avoid the negative sides of the problem but it sure has its up sides.

Is that not an oxymoron? Hypo as in lowered or suppressed and mania as in excited or raised.
koan

Hypomania

Post by koan »

I'm a walking oxymoron. :P

It's "below mania" meaning with all the perks of extreme happiness but without the downfalls of delusion or paranoia that often go with full blown mania.

I don't crash either. I just have "off" periods where I feel dull because the creative rush is gone.

I've also discovered why I put myself in stressful situations though, it triggers the hypomania and I get all my projects back on track again.

I do, however, have to watch for some destructive behaviours like committing to too many projects, pressured talking that can frustrate other people, and annoyance at small obstacles... and a few other things.
gmc

Hypomania

Post by gmc »

Don't know if this is relevant or not but the birth control pill can trigger depression and other mental side effects in some people - I reckon it must be responsible for a few divorces.

Is The Pill Playing Havoc With Your Mental Health?

Other statistics from the survey revealed that 73 percent of respondents stated hormonal contraceptives had a negative impact on their lives, and over 50 percent of respondents who were taking anti-depressant medication were doing so to treat depression that occurred after beginning hormonal contraceptives.

My wife was one such which is why I happen to know about it but luckily she married someone wonderful and understanding that put up with it till we worked out what was wrong. It was like a switch went and this completely different person was in the room, I suspected something was actually wrong rather than she was just a psychotic bitch but just didn't know what or what to do about it.
Scrat

Hypomania

Post by Scrat »

I don't think you're any different from anybody else walking through this world Koan. We're all struggling in some way.
koan

Hypomania

Post by koan »

I kind of think it's nice to know what's going on so I can be more aware of it.

Depression isn't a problem at all. I don't have the down swing. My "lows" are just feeling normal and wondering why I'm not writing or painting as much as usual. Now I know when I'm racing that starting a general conversation is likely just to leave people spinning and wondering what just happened. I burn bridges too but I successfully burned a bridge long due for destruction last night. Used my high to get off my chest seven years of wanting to tell someone what an asswipe he is and all the reasons why I think so. Done. Over. Deleted from friends list. Rather thankful I had the courage available. Won't regret it.

Got to go turn my canvases and prime the other side now. Also have four series episodes to write in the next month and some Occupy Canada initiatives to initiate. Have you ever had Cranberry & Pepper Boursin? It's amazing. Buying some more tomorrow. Need to the chicken wings cooked before midnight and have to get up at six am.
fuzzywuzzy

Hypomania

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

but we knew you were nuts ....that's why we like you . Just out of interest Did you diagnose yourself? Or did a proper psych do it?
Bruv

Hypomania

Post by Bruv »

fuzzywuzzy;1373570 wrote: but we knew you were nuts ....that's why we like you . Just out of interest Did you diagnose yourself? Or did a proper psych do it?

Australians........
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Health Wellness”