Call to ban smoking in cars ???

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

All smoking in cars should be banned across the UK to protect people from second-hand smoke, doctors say.

The British Medical Association called for the extension of the current ban on smoking in public places after reviewing evidence of the dangers.

I am a smoker, I disagree with forcing my smoke on others.

If I travel in a car with non smokers I don't smoke, why the need for another Law ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1375858 wrote: All smoking in cars should be banned across the UK to protect people from second-hand smoke, doctors say.

The British Medical Association called for the extension of the current ban on smoking in public places after reviewing evidence of the dangers.

I am a smoker, I disagree with forcing my smoke on others.

If I travel in a car with non smokers I don't smoke, why the need for another Law ?

I'm with you Bruv, I smoke, I don't smoke when the children are in the car with me, I don't smoke in the car when I have other non smokers with me. Right now I rarely ever find myself in the car without a child so I don't get the chance to smoke in the car, but I do object to the choice being taken out of my hands.

Most people are reasonable, if you travel with someone who smokes then politely ask if they could refrain but I'm pretty sure most smokers wouldn't light up when in the car with non smokers.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's a daft idea and completely unenforceable. If someone wants to kill themselves let them just so long as they don't make me share their cigarette. besides i would rather the traffic police stopped people using mobile phones and tailgating than waste their time on that.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Who wants drivers on the road jonesing for a ciggy. Not me!
theia

Post by theia »

Oh great, I thought the pressure was off us smokers for a while.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

theia;1375871 wrote: Oh great, I thought the pressure was off us smokers for a while.

Ya gotta keep bringing up fat people. As soon as they forget bout fat people they turn on the smoking scorn.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

I know that Australia already has a sort of smoking ban in cars: "In May 2009 it was announced that smoking in cars where children under the age of 16 are present was banned"

List of smoking bans in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am a smoker, and I do think smoking in a car with kids is wrong.. but Australia has quite a list :-3
theia

Post by theia »

YZGI;1375873 wrote: Ya gotta keep bringing up fat people. As soon as they forget bout fat people they turn on the smoking scorn.

Well, this renewed attack will teach me to stop feeling virtuous about not being obese and not drinking alcohol when the truth is that I'm a walking bag of toxics...best get me little bell out.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

theia;1375877 wrote: Well, this renewed attack will teach me to stop feeling virtuous about not being obese and not drinking alcohol when the truth is that I'm a walking bag of toxics...best get me little bell out.
Shhhhhh!!!! Don't be bringing up us drinkin sorts....hic...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Seems to me the emphasis is just as much on the smoke escaping the vehicle as it is for those they might feel giggle uncontrollably while lighting up a "ciggie" and sporadically rolling up the windows in light of their passengers...

Quite alot of smokers from my experiences light up regardless so I would suggest the honor game doesn't hold much weight...

I bet more people light up in cars with kids in them than most realize
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am an anti smoking smoker, there is seriously no good reason for puffing on some dried foliage, sucking acrid smoke into one of our most delicate organs, it's like poking yourself in the eye with a stick.

But why should the law stop me and other consenting adults congregating in a public house to drink a beer or two ?

I can understand protecting others, especially children, so ban smoking within a given area around children or within a car shared with children, THAT makes sense. But not a blanket ban of smoking in your own car traveling alone.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1375887 wrote: I am an anti smoking smoker, there is seriously no good reason for puffing on some dried foliage, sucking acrid smoke into one of our most delicate organs, it's like poking yourself in the eye with a stick.

But why should the law stop me and other consenting adults congregating in a public house to drink a beer or two ?

I can understand protecting others, especially children, so ban smoking within a given area around children or within a car shared with children, THAT makes sense. But not a blanket ban of smoking in your own car traveling alone.

It's a ridiculous proposal for It would be almost Impossible to monitor or police.

The proposal Is entirely different to the White van ban where employers of white van drivers can include the policy in the employment contract and have a disciplinary proceedure within the company for those who breech the ban.

To police or enforce this proposal could only rely on traffic wardens or traffic police Imposing fixed penalty fines. If that would be the case, a fixed penalty fine, then It would be just another stealth tax and revenue for the Government,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Bruv;1375887 wrote: I am an anti smoking smoker, there is seriously no good reason for puffing on some dried foliage, sucking acrid smoke into one of our most delicate organs, it's like poking yourself in the eye with a stick.

There is no good reason for eating junk food either. But people do. Anyway I won't complain when I get lung cancer.

I don't believe in puffing in rooms when there are non-smokers or children.

For example: I do smoke in my house, but coming monday it's my birthday and the sunday prior the in-laws are coming over for coffee and cake thingies.. They do not smoke and there will be 2 small children present.

If I do want a ciggie half way through the day I will go into the back garden and smoke there even though it's my own house, because I don't want the "non-smokers" to inhale my ciggie smoke.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Chloe_88;1375876 wrote: I know that Australia already has a sort of smoking ban in cars: "In May 2009 it was announced that smoking in cars where children under the age of 16 are present was banned"

List of smoking bans in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am a smoker, and I do think smoking in a car with kids is wrong.. but Australia has quite a list :-3

Yep, that's right Chloe, I still smoke in mine though . My youngest tried to tell me that I couldn't in the car while he was in it. I agreed with him that's the law now . when he expected me to put it out I said "yes you're quite correct, I can't smoke when you're in the car" . I pulled over to the side of the road and told him he could walk if he wanted .
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

fuzzywuzzy;1375916 wrote: Yep, that's right Chloe, I still smoke in mine though . My youngest tried to tell me that I couldn't in the car while he was in it. I agreed with him that's the law now . when he expected me to put it out I said "yes you're quite correct, I can't smoke when you're in the car" . I pulled over to the side of the road and told him he could walk if he wanted .

Well at least it's good exercise for him :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1375916 wrote: Yep, that's right Chloe, I still smoke in mine though . My youngest tried to tell me that I couldn't in the car while he was in it. I agreed with him that's the law now . when he expected me to put it out I said "yes you're quite correct, I can't smoke when you're in the car" . I pulled over to the side of the road and told him he could walk if he wanted .

There are plenty of people who never smoked but have heart problems and cancers caused by growing up in a smoking household. When he buries you early at least he will have the consolation of knowing it was your choice to perhaps have shortened his life span as well. I don't mind people smoking it's just the arrogance of smokers thinking they can make everyone else inhale it as well.

I don't think a ban like that is practical but at least it sound like your kid won't start.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

gmc;1375927 wrote: There are plenty of people who never smoked but have heart problems and cancers caused by growing up in a smoking household. When he buries you early at least he will have the consolation of knowing it was your choice to perhaps give it to him. I don't mind people smoking it's just the arrogance of smokers thinking they can make everyone else inhale it as well. I went to my fathers funeral at nine years old having watched the process of him being told by the doctor to give up smoking before it killed him. One brother died early because he smoked and my other one isn't looking too good now either. Me Im' in good nick but I never started.

I don't think a ban like that is practical but at least it sound like your kid won't start.

It's horrible to hear whats happend in your famliy. I'm sorry to hear that.

Like I said: I will not complain if I get lung cancer or something like that. Stress will probably kill me before that anyway.

But this year I heard of several people I know (who don't smoke, and who have not been in smoking area problems a lot) and they all got cancer. Non smokers also die of terrible diseases. I don't like it when I'm in the outside smoking area and people complain. Like I said: I will not complain if I die of cancer.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

gmc;1375927 wrote: There are plenty of people who never smoked but have heart problems and cancers caused by growing up in a smoking household. When he buries you early at least he will have the consolation of knowing it was your choice to perhaps have shortened his life span as well. I don't mind people smoking it's just the arrogance of smokers thinking they can make everyone else inhale it as well.

What makes you think others are inhaling in a car? To begin with the draft from an open window carries the smoke out ...funny you know, about fifteen years ago I was sitting at traffic lights all the windows down because it was summer and two lanes away a woman is trying to abuse me for smoking in my car . I smiled politely and mused a the truck in front of her spewing out black exhaust smoke all over her car. personally i thought that was as funny as hell.

I was brought up in a household where both my parents smoked inside , at he kitchen table, watching tv in the lounge etc etc. do my borthers and sisters smoke because of this situation? well you'd have to ask them ...but I was in my twenties when I took it up so that can't be blamed on my parents . My eldest son smokes and slowly but surely giving it up. Did he take up smoking because of me? well I've thought about that ...I'm thinking it had to do with more of the violence in our household and the fact that I would go for a smoke so I wouldn't get slapped around. Could he have taken up that habit of escape too? Probably is my guess . But is it the smoking for smoking sake he took up or just a habit of escape?

Do you drink alcohol GMC?
koan

Post by koan »

I ride a bike a lot. I smoke. My smoke would take years to equal the amount of toxins I breathe when stopped on my bike next to a car idling at the light beside me.

eta: how many cigarettes would I need to smoke in a closed garage to kill myself vs how long it would take the exhaust from my car?
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by fuzzywuzzy

Do you drink alcohol GMC?

Yes I do but I don't force it down other people's throats.

posted by koan

QUOTE]eta: how many cigarettes would I need to smoke in a closed garage to kill myself vs how long it would take the exhaust from my car?

If your car runs on unleaded quite a long time. The thing is normal sane people don't shut themselves in a garage with the engine running so why do smokers shut themselves in a tin box with cigarettes going? If it's just them fair enough, it used to be really unpleasant going out to a pub or restaurant when everybody smoked - apart from anything else the stink on your clothes the next day was horrific. During the smoking ban debates it was quite striking how many smokers cold not grasp no one wanted to force them to stop smoking they just didn't want to be forced to join them.

Incidentally the incidence of cancers amongst those who worked in diesel garages or in bus depots and train stations is nothing out the ordinary. The particulates in petrol exhaust cause more asthma than those from diesel - it's just you can actually see them more easily.

It's not just cancer it also the build up in your arteries causing strokes and heart attacks. I also know chain smokers in their seventies and eighties who dodged the bullet as it were. It's like jumping off a cliff - you might be lucky and survive but the odds are against you.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

[QUOTE=gmc;1375987]posted by fuzzywuzzy

Yes I do but I don't force it down other people's throats.

Yes you do ....i bet you offer people who come to your house a drink, or you'll shout someone a beer at the pub. funny I've never offered anyone a smoke .

Hmmmm second thoughts you're scottish you probably don't offer anyone anything that may be of any expense. lol lol lol
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1375988 wrote: [QUOTE=gmc;1375987]posted by fuzzywuzzy

Yes you do ....i bet you offer people who come to your house a drink, or you'll shout someone a beer at the pub. funny I've never offered anyone a smoke .

Hmmmm second thoughts you're scottish you probably don't offer anyone anything that may be of any expense. lol lol lol

Now you're mistaking the common courtesy of offering someone a drink with holding them down and pouring it down their throat. I don't have a lot of tolerance for people who think it funny to spike someone's drink either. You are right though I do know people who think you can't be enjoying yourself if you are not drinking. I'm not a heavy drinker and used to fall out with people when I would refuse to put in to a "pot" to buy rounds on a night out. The good opinion of drunkards is not one I care whether I have it or not.

If you offer someone a cigarette and they decline and you then smoke in their presence effectively you are forcing them to join you - worse it's like regurgitating the smoke and making them breathe it. Your choice you know, do what you like just don't kid yourself it's your choice, nicotine is addictive you're an addict.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

No I'm not .....I eat breakfast everyday ...does that mean I'm addicted to food in the morning? When did 'the addict' enter our dictionary? When the powers that be decided to make it a term of horror to cover up all the other reasons why people get cancer. 1972 is when the extra chemicals were added to make people want to have the next smoke...what about before then? if you're an 'addict' ......oh please if someone had said to another person your'e an addict 60 years ago they would have told you they don't smoke dope. There are far off places where they don't have the chemicals that the rest of us do ......why do they smoke? in the jungles of new guinea ...why do they smoke?

going by what you're saying chocolate should be banned because it has addictive qualities... don't we give chocolate to our kids and when are you going to stand up and ban our children from having an addiction to chocolate?......and so too alcohol.

YOu know what? and I realise this may come as a shock to you ...no body dies of anything but their own hearts stopping. Everyone on earth dies of heart failure ....not accidents, not smoking, not heroin overdoses....nothing else but your heart stops beating . Choose what you will in life cause one day your heart is going to stop.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Only one answer for that....................

gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1376000 wrote: No I'm not .....I eat breakfast everyday ...does that mean I'm addicted to food in the morning? When did 'the addict' enter our dictionary? When the powers that be decided to make it a term of horror to cover up all the other reasons why people get cancer. 1972 is when the extra chemicals were added to make people want to have the next smoke...what about before then? if you're an 'addict' ......oh please if someone had said to another person your'e an addict 60 years ago they would have told you they don't smoke dope. There are far off places where they don't have the chemicals that the rest of us do ......why do they smoke? in the jungles of new guinea ...why do they smoke?

going by what you're saying chocolate should be banned because it has addictive qualities... don't we give chocolate to our kids and when are you going to stand up and ban our children from having an addiction to chocolate?......and so too alcohol.

YOu know what? and I realise this may come as a shock to you ...no body dies of anything but their own hearts stopping. Everyone on earth dies of heart failure ....not accidents, not smoking, not heroin overdoses....nothing else but your heart stops beating . Choose what you will in life cause one day your heart is going to stop.

It's from the latin word addictus - someone who was given over in to slavery for theft or debt. The word has been around for centuries although I'm not sure when the modern usage became commonplace. It's the nicotine that is addictive, the other chemicals were removed as they discovered they were carcinogenic - the nicotine content has been increased over the same period.

The American Psychiatric Association's current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) defines substance dependence as:

"When an individual persists in use of alcohol or other drugs despite problems related to use of the substance, substance dependence may be diagnosed. Compulsive and repetitive use may result in tolerance to the effect of the drug and withdrawal symptoms when use is reduced or stopped. This, along with Substance Abuse are considered Substance Use Disorders...." [9]

Kill yourself I don't actually care. What prompted my post was that you thought it funny (apparently, although I prefer to think you were just kidding) to make your child smoke along with you in the car. Knowing the consequences of that act if you were serious quite frankly I find it appalling.

We all die. I don't drive in to trees or jump of cliffs without a parachute because I see no reason to hurry the process. I don't smoke because knowing the consequences it always seemed a stupid thing to do. I'm sorry I offended you by calling you an addict but the reality is most smokers have a physical addiction, you are one.

I haven't actually advocated banning smoking or making it illegal. I do support the ban in public places where others have no choice but to inhale as well like in buildings. A ban in cars is impractical and trying to stop people in their own homes would be ludicrous and if parents insist on smoking in the car with their children present knowing all we know about smoking they'll keep on doing it anyway.

Anyway, I'm away for a hit of caffeine and a choccy biscuit:D:D
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I don't drive in to trees or jump of cliffs without a parachute because I see no reason to hurry the process.

I don't think driving into a tree with a parachute on will save you although I'm not sure how affective it is as an airbag.
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1376328 wrote: I don't think driving into a tree with a parachute on will save you although I'm not sure how affective it is as an airbag.

It's funny how you go from not having airbags or ABS in cars to I wouldn't buy one without side impact bars and airbags as well and yes ABS as well please. My wife's car has an anti skid system on hers which I would I find really- I would switch it off if I could I'm used to the feedback from the steering telling me the car is about to skid and I don't like that "feel" being taken away.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

I might get hit by a bus whilst doing my shopping. We're all going to die someday, so lets have fun before it happens !
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Chloe_88;1376379 wrote: I might get hit by a bus whilst doing my shopping. We're all going to die someday, so lets have fun before it happens !Yes, that's right, we're all going to die so we might as well have fun!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

gmc;1376377 wrote: It's funny how you go from not having airbags or ABS in cars to I wouldn't buy one without side impact bars and airbags as well and yes ABS as well please. My wife's car has an anti skid system on hers which I would I find really- I would switch it off if I could I'm used to the feedback from the steering telling me the car is about to skid and I don't like that "feel" being taken away.

yep that's why I drive a manual most of the time . you have to watch that anti skid thing as well ..ask your mechanic what happens to these cars when the fan belt goes ...it's not good, and it will surprise you . and those electric cars (prius?)...if you're in an accident? and the front end is crumpled ...I'm not coming near your car. especially not with water. lol
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1376647 wrote: yep that's why I drive a manual most of the time . you have to watch that anti skid thing as well ..ask your mechanic what happens to these cars when the fan belt goes ...it's not good, and it will surprise you . and those electric cars (prius?)...if you're in an accident? and the front end is crumpled ...I'm not coming near your car. especially not with water. lol

The prius gets a 5 star ncap rating so I'd rather be in one of those than say a pickup truck or 4x4. Quite fancy one but I think they are rather overpriced there are plenty of cars around that get similar MPG for much less money. Over here it's only old age pensioners that drive automatics - granny cars we call them. Not worried about the fan belt going a timing chain might be a bit expensive though, especially in a diesel.
Blackslax

Post by Blackslax »

I'd say, that if you're alone in the car it's OK. If there are any non-smokers in the car and you're smoking - a fine. And to avoid the fine for the driver, you have to prove to the cop that you are a bona-fide passenger smoker by lighting up right there in front of him and your teeth MUST be within 1/2 of a shade of the color of the of dirt he's standing on or the color of the bark of any nearby tree.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

But what if their teeth aren't coloured . I don't know many smokers whose teeth are coloured ..I know a couple of non smokers with coloured teeth though .
Blackslax

Post by Blackslax »

Hmmm...maybe we should also include breath that's bad enough to kill a cockroach.

Waddda ya think?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Blackslax;1377255 wrote: Hmmm...maybe we should also include breath that's bad enough to kill a cockroach.

Waddda ya think?

You can't kill cockroaches, we have tried.
Blackslax

Post by Blackslax »

Well, obviously, you need to take up smoking and start breathing on them like you're going into labor.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Ha ha ha ha I prefer smokers breath over some peoples breath .
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

YZGI;1377257 wrote: You can't kill cockroaches, we have tried.

Just discovered you can't kill tiny water bears either .

Return to “Health Wellness”