Using your words

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
fuzzywuzzy

Using your words

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

When I was in child care adn indeed with my own children I would encourage them to "use your words" to express themselves during different emotional states.

But I'm finding I don't even do that anymore . Fact is I can't be bothered with my vocabulary anymore which was once quite extensive. And even if I did, those in the industries I've worked or the social places I go to during these last ten years wouldn't understand me anyway. So I find other simple words to express myself .

Has anyone found the same thing as they have gotten older? Or moved from one area of life to another ?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Using your words

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1386763 wrote: When I was in child care adn indeed with my own children I would encourage them to "use your words" to express themselves during different emotional states.

But I'm finding I don't even do that anymore . Fact is I can't be bothered with my vocabulary anymore which was once quite extensive. And even if I did, those in the industries I've worked or the social places I go to during these last ten years wouldn't understand me anyway. So I find other simple words to express myself .

Has anyone found the same thing as they have gotten older? Or moved from one area of life to another ?

Most of the time yes.

When I'm trying to make sure I'm not misunderstood then I'll take the time to use the best words for the job but normally I'll get the idea across and leave it at that. Such laziness gets me into trouble quite often.
LarsMac

Using your words

Post by LarsMac »

Yeah, kinda.

It seems that words have expiration dates. If you don't use them they fade away after a time.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
WonderWendy3

Using your words

Post by WonderWendy3 »

like when an American comes to your house and looks at you like you are speaking a foriegn language??? LOL
koan

Using your words

Post by koan »

To clarify: not "using your words" implies using your fists instead. When my kid was in a phase of physical resistance to complying to social expectations she and I had a chat about the value of using words instead of having to smack each other on the butts. Yes, she assumed she had the ability to smack my butt as well. lol

So, clarifying this to using sophisticated words vs vulgar, I've found that there are some people wildly impressed by one's ability to succinctly express expectations. Then you move to "or elses". Then you move to "or it would be catastrophic". Then you move to "you stupid ****wad... get your head out of your ass or people are going to suffer". After so many turns you go from succinct to ****wad because you know the interim stages are unavoidable and you have little time to waste on the interim stages.

Inevitably the stupid ****wads insist that they would have responded to the pleasantries but they skirt around the fact that they didn't. Also, that is all key to who's perspective you are keen on.

Return to “General Chit Chat”