NSAID's and Cardiovascular disease

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I'd always known Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs, to increase the risk of heart problems in those susceptible but does everyone know that?

I know more people are becoming aware of cardiovascular disease and just how easy it can creep up on the unsuspecting or at least is more real to those that never have really cared but I thought it's important to know this fact...

The widespread use of NSAIDs has meant that the adverse effects of these drugs have become increasingly prevalent. The two main adverse drug reactions (ADRs) associated with NSAIDs relate to gastrointestinal effects and renal effects of the agents.

These effects are dose-dependent, and in many cases severe enough to pose the risk of ulcer perforation, upper gastrointestinal bleeding, and death, limiting the use of NSAID therapy. An estimated 10-20% of NSAID patients experience dyspepsia, and NSAID-associated upper gastrointestinal adverse events are estimated to result in 103,000 hospitalizations and 16,500 deaths per year in the United States, and represent 43% of drug-related emergency visits. Many of these events are avoidable; a review of physician visits and prescriptions estimated that unnecessary prescriptions for NSAIDs were written in 42% of visits.

[...]

NSAIDs aside from aspirin, both newer COX-2 antagonists and traditional anti-inflammatories, increase the risk of myocardial infarction and stroke. They are not recommended in those who have had a previous heart attack as they increase the risk of death and / or recurrent MI. Naproxen seems least harmful.

NSAIDs aside from (low-dose) aspirin are associated with a doubled risk of symptomatic heart failure in patients without a history of cardiac disease. In patients with such a history, however, use of NSAIDs (aside from low-dose aspirin) was associated with more than 10-fold increase in heart failure. If this link is found to be causal, NSAIDs are estimated to be responsible for up to 20 percent of hospital admissions for congestive heart failure. In people with heart failure, NSAIDs increase mortality risk by approximately 1.2-1.3 for naproxen and ibuprofen, 1.7 for rofecoxib and celecoxib, and 2.1 for diclofenac.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Interesting.

I call Ibuprofen "Vitamin I"

I pretty much rely upon it to deal with several painful muscular-Skeletal problems.

Tried several steroidal drugs, and even several Opiate derivatives.

Ibuprofen is the only one that really works and allows me to function fairly normal.

Never experienced any side effects. I'll take my chances.

Have always been aware of the gastrointestinal side effects though never experienced any.

This is the first I've heard of potential Cardiac issues.

Probably won't change my use, at this time.

I'd rather fall off my horse from a heart attack, than sit around the house in a stupor.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

A bit of irony that further correlates this thread with http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/diabe ... ntion.html is gout

Gout has increased in frequency in recent decades affecting approximately one to two percent of the Western population at some point in their lives. The increase is believed to be due to increasing risk factors in the population, such as metabolic syndrome, longer life expectancy and changes in diet. Gout was historically known as "the disease of kings" or "rich man's disease".

Dietary causes account for about 12% of gout, and include a strong association with the consumption of alcohol, fructose-sweetened drinks, meat, and seafood. Other triggers include physical trauma and surgery. Recent studies have found dietary factors once believed to be associated are, in fact, not; including the intake of purine-rich vegetables (e.g., beans, peas, lentils, and spinach) and total protein. The consumption of coffee, vitamin C and dairy products as well as physical fitness appear to decrease the risk. This is believed to be partly due to their effect in reducing insulin resistance.

Gout frequently occurs in combination with other medical problems. Metabolic syndrome, a combination of abdominal obesity, hypertension, insulin resistance and abnormal lipid levels occurs in nearly 75% of cases. Diuretics have been associated with attacks of gout. However, a low dose of hydrochlorothiazide does not seem to increase the risk. Other medicines that have been associated include niacin and aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).Gout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[QUOTE]Niacin has been used for over 50 years to increase levels of HDL in the blood and has been found to modestly decrease the risk of cardiovascular events in a number of controlled human trials. Niacin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if you're taking diuretics for high blood pressure and niacin for high cholesterol then you're even further susceptible to gout.

NSAID's are said to increase the risk of myocardial infarction and stroke.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

K.Snyder;1392499 wrote: A bit of irony that further correlates this thread with http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/diabe ... ntion.html is gout

So if you're taking diuretics for high blood pressure and niacin for high cholesterol then you're even further susceptible to gout.

NSAID's are said to increase the risk of myocardial infarction and stroke.

Is not Aspirin considered to be NSAID?
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1392501 wrote: Is not Aspirin considered to be NSAID?Yes ...but differs from them in the mechanism of action. Though it, and others in its group called the salicylates, have similar effects (antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic) to the other NSAIDs and inhibit the same enzyme cyclooxygenase, aspirin (but not the other salicylates) does so in an irreversible manner and, unlike others, affect more the COX-1 variant than the COX-2 variant of the enzyme.

[...]

People with kidney disease, hyperuricemia(High levels of uric acid in the blood), or gout should not take aspirin because it inhibits the kidneys' ability to excrete uric acid, and thus may exacerbate these conditions. Aspirin should not be given to children or adolescents to control cold or influenza symptoms, as this has been linked with Reye's syndrome.There's also buffered aspirin.

A buffering agent is a weak acid or base used to maintain the acidity (pH) of a solution near a chosen value after the addition of another acid or base. That is, the function of a buffering agent is to prevent a rapid change in pH when acids or bases are added to the solution.Buffering agent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I have had a couple of the newer NSAID's but did not like them.

Ibuprofen seems to be the one that works for me.

When the back, or the neck (or a knee, shoulder, hip, etc.) flairs up, I start taking the stuff, 600-800 mg at a pop, 3-4 times a day.

a few days later, the pain is down, and I stop. The stuff seems to hang in the blood for a few days, and the pain is manageable.

Then a week or so on, it rolls back in and gets to bothering me so's I can't sleep, and I start over.

From WebMD:

“Ibuprofen is relatively safe except when we give it with aspirin to people at high risk of heart attack," Farkouh says. "Only when given with aspirin do we see an excess of heart attacks." - Michael Farkouh, MD, MPH, director of clinical trials at Mount Sinai Heart

I do take aspirin, since a DVT about 10 years back. (don't cross your legs on a transcontinental flight and go to sleep) so I have to keep that in mind, but the alternative to Ibuprofen seems to be one of those Oxi-something or other. That crap makes me fall off my horse, or run my truck into the ditch. I reckon to take my chances with Vitamin 'I'
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1392602 wrote: I have had a couple of the newer NSAID's but did not like them.

Ibuprofen seems to be the one that works for me.

When the back, or the neck (or a knee, shoulder, hip, etc.) flairs up, I start taking the stuff, 600-800 mg at a pop, 3-4 times a day.

a few days later, the pain is down, and I stop. The stuff seems to hang in the blood for a few days, and the pain is manageable.

Then a week or so on, it rolls back in and gets to bothering me so's I can't sleep, and I start over.

From WebMD:

I do take aspirin, since a DVT about 10 years back. (don't cross your legs on a transcontinental flight and go to sleep) so I have to keep that in mind, but the alternative to Ibuprofen seems to be one of those Oxi-something or other. That crap makes me fall off my horse, or run my truck into the ditch. I reckon to take my chances with Vitamin 'I'

My lord! You take 800mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day with a sprinkle of aspirin, then top it off with some extra oxycodone on top?

Taking aspirin with 3200mg of iboprofen is enough to melt your kidneys, I'd think running off into a ditch is your only alternative. When was the last time you talked with your doctor?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Oh, No. I avoid the Oxycontin and all its variants.

Ib is usually 600 mg and seldom more than twice in a day, unless I just can't get around.

I went through all the pain meds a few years back, and decided I had to get along without them.

Some times I can go for a couple of weeks or more without anything, but then I try and do something that used be easy a few decades ago, and a joint gets out of place.

Doc said kidneys are happy.

I think it is the two pints of Mama's little yella Pils a day that keeps 'em happy.
- DH Lawrence
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

LarsMac;1392615 wrote: I think it is the two pints of Mama's little yella Pils a day that keeps 'em happy.That beer sounds refreshing, I'll have to search for it.

Lion stout is one I really enjoyed lately. Lion Stout - Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited - Biyagama, Sri Lanka - BeerAdvocate

Anyway, my soon-to-be mother in law informs me that nothing works so she doesn't take anything other than vitamins and shark cartilage. She says it helps alot. I'll find out what it is she takes exactly.

Here's a little fact I'd stumbeled upon in my readings Recent studies show that over 50% of patients taking NSAIDs have sustained some mucosal damage to their small intestine. Studies show that risk of ulceration is less with nabumetone than with ibuprofen alone. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Return to “Health Wellness”