Getting a Sun tan?

K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Does everyone know this? Controversy over sunscreen

The statement sunburn causes skin cancer is accurate when it refers to either basal-cell carcinoma, the mildest form of cancer, or squamous cell carcinoma. But the statement is false when it comes to malignant melanoma. The statistical correlation between sunburn and melanoma is due to a common cause — UV radiation. However, they are generated via two different mechanisms: Direct DNA damage is ascribed by many medical doctors to a change in behaviour of the sunscreen user due to a false sense of security afforded by the sunscreen. Other researchers blame insufficient correction for confounding factors; light-skinned individuals versus indirect DNA damage.

Topically applied sunscreen blocks UV rays as long as it does not penetrate into the skin. This prevents sunburn, suntanning, and skin cancer. If the sunscreen filter is absorbed into the skin, it prevents sunburn, but increases the amount of free radicals, which in turn increases the risk for malignant melanoma. The harmful effect of photo-excited sunscreen filters on living tissue has been shown in many photo-biological studies. Whether sunscreen prevents or promotes the development of melanoma depends on the relative importance of the protective effect from the topical sunscreen versus the harmful effects of the absorbed sunscreen. Sunburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a defense against UV radiation, the amount of the brown pigment melanin in the skin increases when exposed to moderate (depending on skin type) levels of radiation; this is commonly known as a sun tan. The purpose of melanin is to absorb UV radiation and dissipate the energy as harmless heat, blocking the UV from damaging skin tissue. UVA gives a quick tan that lasts for days by oxidizing melanin that was already present and triggers the release of the melanin from melanocytes. UVB on the other hand yields a tan that takes roughly two days to develop because it stimulates the body to produce more melanin. The photochemical properties of melanin make it an excellent photoprotectant.

Sunscreen chemicals on the other hand cannot dissipate the energy of the excited state as efficiently as melanin and therefore the penetration of sunscreen ingredients into the lower layers of the skin increases the amount of free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS).

Some sunscreen lotions now include compounds such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, inert fillers which helps protect against UV rays via light scattering and physically blocking the light pathway into the dermal layers. Other UVA blocking compounds found in sunscreen include Avobenzone. There are also naturally occurring compounds found in rainforest plants that have been known to protect the skin from UV radiation damage, such as the fern Phlebodium aureum.

Some sunscreen chemicals produce potentially harmful substances if they are illuminated while in contact with living cells. The amount of sunscreen that penetrates through the stratum corneum may or may not be large enough to cause damage. In one study of sunscreens, the authors write:

The question whether UV filters acts on or in the skin has so far not been fully answered. Despite the fact that an answer would be a key to improve formulations of sun protection products, many publications carefully avoid addressing this question.

In an experiment by Hanson et al. that was published in 2006, the amount of harmful reactive oxygen species was measured in untreated and in sunscreen-treated skin. In the first 20 minutes the film of sunscreen had a protective effect and the number of ROS species was smaller. After 60 minutes, however, the amount of absorbed sunscreen was so high that the amount of ROS was higher in the sunscreen-treated skin than in the untreated skin. Sunscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems everything isn't as black and white as many may think
Bryn Mawr

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1389073 wrote: Does everyone know this? Sunburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sunscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems everything isn't as black and white as many may think

I could be crass and say they're red and redder without the sunblock but you're right, it does appear from the article that the use of sunblock actually increases the risk of cancer.
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

The way I understand what I have just read is that suntan actually protects the skin from cancer.

That goes against everything they have been telling us for years.

So sensible exposure to sunlight is the way to go.

Wait awhile and another expert will be along.....with another theory/study and it's findings.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1389091 wrote: The way I understand what I have just read is that suntan actually protects the skin from cancer.

That goes against everything they have been telling us for years.

So sensible exposure to sunlight is the way to go.

Wait awhile and another expert will be along.....with another theory/study and it's findings.

It protects against two relatively benign forms of cancer but increases the risk of a much more virulent form that causes the majority of skin cancer deaths.
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1389091 wrote: Wait awhile and another expert will be along.....with another theory/study and it's findings.I suppose they each seem to point us to the light and refute everything we have red!
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

K.Snyder;1389105 wrote: I suppose they each seem to point us to the light and refute everything we have red!

Our red bodies.....do you mean ?
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1389132 wrote: Our red bodies.....do you mean ?I'm obligated to suggest you see a doctor as I'm not qualified to make such decisions.
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

Twas you that spoke everything we have red
I said........ our red bodies ?

This is a thread about suntan.......(nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean guv)
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1389250 wrote: Twas you that spoke

I said........ our red bodies ?

This is a thread about suntan.......(nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean guv)Oh, yeah, honest mistake...
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

K.Snyder;1389252 wrote: Oh, yeah, honest mistake...

Sorry......I am not really the Spelling Police, it just tickled my funny bone, and being a sharing sort of person.....I shared it.

(It made more sense than some of your ramblings)

(Spoiled it now.......... haven't I ?)
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1389254 wrote: Sorry......I am not really the Spelling Police, it just tickled my funny bone, and being a sharing sort of person.....I shared it.

(It made more sense than some of your ramblings)

(Spoiled it now.......... haven't I ?) Oliver - please sir i want some more - YouTube
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

Remember.....you started it

Consider yourself
fuzzywuzzy

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

it used to be, you had to stay out of the sun between 12 and 4 pm in summer (in australia ) now it's between 10am and 5pm. You only need 10 mins of sun a day for your skin to absorb what it needs. There is no way I get burnt these days because it only takes about twenty minutes. .....that's a bad thing.
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1389260 wrote: Remember.....you started it

Consider yourselfMy daughter loved it...
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

K.Snyder;1389342 wrote: My daughter loved it...

Get her to watch the whole show then.....
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bruv;1389344 wrote: Get her to watch the whole show then.....I'm actually planning on it, though they seem to say that children below 2 shouldn't watch television. I will see what the doctor says and perhaps we may have to wait.

For the time being we may have to keep it to short video clips, thank you.

I've started to fall in love with these old theatrical films. They're much better than the crap thrown out in the market today...
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

Children below 2 shouldn't watch TV ?

Never heard of that one.

Sitting them down all day to keep them amused is not advisable, but that goes for all ages.
rajakrsna

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by rajakrsna »

God one day decided after the creation to make one in his own image. Like a baker, he placed his creation of the man in the oven. Unfortunately since God was busy attending to other matters the man he created was black ( over baked ). So, he created another one but the result was white ( under baked ). Finally after so many tries, he produced the perfect man- a brown one ( smiling).
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

rajakrsna;1389541 wrote: God one day decided after the creation to make one in his own image. Like a baker, he placed his creation of the man in the oven. Unfortunately since God was busy attending to other matters the man he created was black ( over baked ). So, he created another one but the result was white ( under baked ). Finally after so many tries, he produced the perfect man- a brown one ( smiling).
I think we're going to keep you raj...What happened to the red ones?
rajakrsna

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by rajakrsna »

K.Snyder;1389804 wrote: I think we're going to keep you raj...What happened to the red ones?

It`s the suntan, my friend. We Filipinos been exposed to the sun all year round. We did not end up like the Africans with black complexion. Their skin have more concentrations of melanin pigments than us Filipinos. Melanin protects our skin from skin cancer e.g papillary carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and believe it or not melano-carcinoma,the most virulent type of skin cancer. If you have many moles in your face, arms, neck or any mole not covered by the clothes you wear in summer chances are these moles become malignant. So watch out for 1 ) a mole that grows rapidly, 2) a mole that has an ulcer that never heals 3 ) satellite moles. I know how these cancers behave. believe it or not ,because my Dad was my mentor, Professor and Chairman of the Department of Pathology and Dermatology of Gullas College of Medicine where I studied medicine in 1978-1983. My Dad retired from the academe on May 2006. My dad also mentored my sister who is now in the USA working not as a physician but a care giver. When my sister studied medicine in 1970 my Dad was already the Asst Head in the Dept of Pathology and Dermatology of Cebu Institute of Medicine from 1965 to 1975. By the way I am very sorry for not replying immediately to your post.I was engrossed the whole day deleting ( not all ) from my cell phone`s folders, believe it or not, 5000 selected pics of naked girls.
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

rajakrsna;1389844 wrote: I was engrossed the whole day deleting from my cell phone`s folders, believe it or not, 5000 selected pics of naked girls.

Engrossed !!

Deleting ?

Yeah right...............
rajakrsna

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by rajakrsna »

Bruv;1389857 wrote: Engrossed !!

Deleting ?

Yeah right...............

One has to scew-tinize each naked pic before letting it go. The perfect ones stay in my folder. The rest they have to do it better in the next life. Maybe its something to do with the complexion, the hair, the chest, the shape, etc. I could go on and on.
Bruv

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by Bruv »

rajakrsna;1390065 wrote: ...................... I could go on and on.

I had noticed.
K.Snyder

Getting a Sun tan?

Post by K.Snyder »

Skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed type of cancer. Melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers combined are more common than lung, breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer. Melanoma is less common than both basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, but it is the most serious — for example, in the UK there were over 11,700 new cases of melanoma in 2008, and over 2,000 deaths. It is the second most common cancer in young adults aged 15–34 in the UK. Most cases are caused by over-exposure to UV rays from the sun or sunbeds. Non-melanoma skin cancers are the most common skin cancers. The majority of these are basal cell carcinomas. These are usually localized growths caused by excessive cumulative exposure to the sun and do not tend to spread. Skin cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And...

Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. More than 3.5 million skin cancers in over two million people are diagnosed annually.

Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon.

The survival rate for patients whose melanoma is detected early, before the tumor has penetrated the skin, is about 99 percent. The survival rate falls to 15 percent for those with advanced disease.

The vast majority of mutations found in melanoma are caused by ultraviolet radiation.Skin Cancer Facts - SkinCancer.org

Return to “Health Wellness”