She's so beautiful, she (almost) broke the internet

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Is it a joke or is she delusional? While I think she's a nice looking woman, she certainly isn't someone I'd give a second glance to. Apparently loads of people agree with me but they weren't quite so polite about it...

The I'm so beautiful backlash: In yesterday's Mail, Samantha Brick claimed other women loathe her for being too attractive. It provoked a worldwide internet storm. Here she says: This bile just proves I'm right | Mail Online
xara

Post by xara »

Maybe she's just not very photogenic? :confused:

Her attitude is stinky though.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I think she makes a great point. Whether or not others think a person is beautiful doesn't matter to a person who can declare themselves so. So what if the lady thinks she's beautiful. Good for her that she has a healthy opinion of herself.

Women are vicious toward each other, it's always been a sad thing to watch. And this anger women feel toward other females only proves that men have succeeded in convincing them they are not worthy of praise, either from members of their own gender or men. Too bad for any female who joins in on the criticism of this lady, they're only exposing their own pain.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, remember.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Healthy opinion of herself or narcissistic self-aggrandizement?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Attractive not head turningly beautiful though.......

Without reading the original article and the way it was constructed I wouldn't comment further, other than to say no one likes a big head.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tabby

Post by tabby »

Ahso!;1390075 wrote: I think she makes a great point. Whether or not others think a person is beautiful doesn't matter to a person who can declare themselves so. So what if the lady thinks she's beautiful. Good for her that she has a healthy opinion of herself.

Women are vicious toward each other, it's always been a sad thing to watch. And this anger women feel toward other females only proves that men have succeeded in convincing them they are not worthy of praise, either from members of their own gender or men. Too bad for any female who joins in on the criticism of this lady, they're only exposing their own pain.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, remember.

Not all women are vicious towards other women, beautiful or otherwise. Some can be, yes but it's not across the board and not all women should be painted with the same brush.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1390077 wrote: Healthy opinion of herself or narcissistic self-aggrandizement?Why is it important? Narcissism is healthy.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tabby;1390093 wrote: Not all women are vicious towards other women, beautiful or otherwise. Some can be, yes but it's not across the board and not all women should be painted with the same brush. You're right. You have my apologies for the sloppy way in which I worded that and also my respect for standing up to it.

I have four sisters who have been aggressive toward each other a lot over the years and I have four daughters who have been mostly respectful. One of my daughters was beaten up pretty badly by 4 girls while in HS a number of years ago because she was new and had the attention of some of the wrong boys because she is pretty.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter was treated that way ... what a rotten thing to happen. I'm guessing from your posts here that you've encouraged open mindedness and free thought with your girls and that's bound to have had a positive influence with how they view and interact with others. I'm not trying to lay all the blame on men, not at all, but I do agree with you that a lot of negative subliminal and not so subliminal brainwashing happens to girls and women on a daily basis. Ultimately though, it rests with each woman's individual character and personality as to how she treats others.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Doesn't matter how she looks. It's the reality TV mindset everyone seems to have now. I want to be famous and I will do whatever it takes to get there even if I have no skills.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It's funny... I was In the Supermarket two days ago and there was a young girl at the checkout In the queue. She was quite a bit over-weight but when I looked at her, I thought... 'wow, she's really beautiful'... She was naturally stunning..

I have no problem acknowledging beautiful women.... I am not threatened by them and never have been.... why should I ?

So on that basis.... the women In the article Is deluded. At best, she's average, at worst, I'd pass her In the street without a thought.

The hair Is bleached and she has a stomach that wouldn't win her any modelling contracts. Her Butt Is over-hanging her hips and her teeth don't make the grade.

I've seen more beautiful women In the supermarket.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It's a sad reflection on how women view one another. When getting doled up for a night out it's not being done to attract or please men it's all for other women's benefit. There's a lot of bitches out there that judge another woman on sight. That's exactly what a lot of the female population have done with their responses to the article. Men like self confident women, it's other women that hate them.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Perhaps it's me but I don't think the article was written for the purpose of whether or not the person is actually beautiful. Rather, I think it was written in order to expose what the reactions would be when a woman has the gumption to announce that she believes she's beautiful. And she was right, but apparently didn't expect close friends to engage in the fallout. That must be extremely painful for this lady.

Every comment on whether or not this person is attractive shows that those individuals are incapable of understanding this experiment and how they think and why they think as they do.

When a person looks at their own image in a mirror they don't only see the reflection in the mirror, they also see their entire life played back and in a flash decide how comfortable they are with that entire scenario. That's why it's so different when one views a photo of oneself. When we see a photo of ourself we see us as everyone else does without acknowledgement of the lines and scars.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Ahso!;1390111 wrote: Perhaps it's me but I don't think the article was written for the purpose of whether or not the person is actually beautiful. Rather, I think it was written in order to expose what the reactions would be when a woman has the gumption to announce that she believes she's beautiful. And she was right, but apparently didn't expect close friends to engage in the fallout. That must be extremely painful for this lady.

Every comment on whether or not this person is attractive shows that those individuals are incapable of understanding this experiment and how they think and why they think as they do.

When a person looks at their own image in a mirror they don't only see the reflection in the mirror, they also see their entire life played back and in a flash decide how comfortable they are with that entire scenario. That's why it's so different when one views a photo of oneself. When we see a photo of ourself we see us as everyone else does without acknowledgement of the lines and scars.

I totally agree, it was written for reaction and boy did she get it. It makes me sad to think we live in such a judgemental and bitchy society.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1390105 wrote: It's funny... I was In the Supermarket two days ago and there was a young girl at the checkout In the queue. She was quite a bit over-weight but when I looked at her, I thought... 'wow, she's really beautiful'... She was naturally stunning..

I have no problem acknowledging beautiful women.... I am not threatened by them and never have been.... why should I ?

So on that basis.... the women In the article Is deluded. At best, she's average, at worst, I'd pass her In the street without a thought.

The hair Is bleached and she has a stomach that wouldn't win her any modelling contracts. Her Butt Is over-hanging her hips and her teeth don't make the grade.

I've seen more beautiful women In the supermarket.

Typical woman response, a negative then a positive, why can't she just simply be 'stunning'?

It doesn't matter two hoots if the woman in the article is deluded, what she has is self confidence which a lot of women hate and feel the need to attack.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1390115 wrote: Typical woman response, a negative then a positive, why can't she just simply be 'stunning'?

It doesn't matter two hoots if the woman in the article is deluded, what she has is self confidence which a lot of women hate and feel the need to attack.

Oh come on.... Are you seriously going to suggest here that you've never sat In front of the TV and critised a women's looks? :wah:

Oh please... !!!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I completely disagree with Betty and ahso... self confidence to me is being aware of your less than perfect characteristics and accepting them and feeling comfortable with yourself. Narcissism is a personality disorder.
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1390119 wrote: I completely disagree with Betty and ahso... self confidence to me is being aware of your less than perfect characteristics and accepting them and feeling comfortable with yourself. Narcissism is a personality disorder. I'm with you.

And for anyone to say that they have never critisized another woman's hair, make-up, looks etc etc I just don't believe It for a minute.... we all do It at some point of our lives.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1390119 wrote: self confidence to me is being aware of your less than perfect characteristics and accepting them and feeling comfortable with yourself.You mean like taking everything into account and declaring yourself beautiful?SnoozeAgain;1390119 wrote: Narcissism is a personality disorder.That's old psychology thinking. There is no such thing as a disorder when we view life through the eyes of Natural Selection, there's only variation. A person would need to be pretty arrogant to declare others "disordered".

For the reading pleasure of anyone interesting in keeping up with the times.

Evolution of Narcissism: Why We're Overconfident, and Why It Works

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I know from past history with ahso that he'll never change his perception of a subject and that he considers himself an expert on everything but to the rest of you, do you find vain and excessive self love a positive attribute? I certainly don't.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1390116 wrote: Oh come on.... Are you seriously going to suggest here that you've never sat In front of the TV and critised a women's looks? :wah:

Oh please... !!!!

I spent my teenage years bitching. Maybe I've matured over the years into someone who doesn't care if another person is fat or thin, stunning or plain. If I'm watching the TV I'll be criticising the plot, not the actresses looks. And on that note why is it women just bitch at other women, it was natural for you to ask why I'm not criticising women on telly?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1390128 wrote: I know from past history with ahso that he'll never change his perception of a subject and that he considers himself an expert on everythingActually, it wasn't that long ago that I might have been in agreement with you more. Ad hominen is the best you've got though, eh.SnoozeAgain;1390128 wrote: but to the rest of you, do you find vain and excessive self love a positive attribute? I certainly don't.And you've diagnosed this person as "vain and excessive self love" simply by reading her article? It seems to me you're the one who thinks they're the expert.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Post by tabby »

On the subject of confidence itself, I'm not sure confident people actually go around announcing that they're confident, it sort of speaks for itself if it's genuine. The same goes for most qualities ... physical or otherwise. If you have to verbally announce it ... it's probably more a case of how you want to be perceived more so than how you are in reality.

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeAgain;1390119 wrote: I completely disagree with Betty and ahso... self confidence to me is being aware of your less than perfect characteristics and accepting them and feeling comfortable with yourself. Narcissism is a personality disorder.

I don't see it as narcissism, she stated she knew she'd be up for criticism for stating that she's self confident. She knew that she'd create a reaction that proved that women are the worst in the world for bringing down their sisters.

Walk into a busy crowded room and who turns to stare, looking you up and down, judging critically everything you wear, even the way you carry yourself... it's your fellow females, men don't give a damn if you turn up in a bin bag with un-brushed hair.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

tabby;1390132 wrote: On the subject of confidence itself, I'm not sure confident people actually go around announcing that they're confident, it sort of speaks for itself if it's genuine. The same goes for most qualities ... physical or otherwise. If you have to verbally announce it ... it's probably more a case of how you want to be perceived more so than how you are in reality.

She set out to create a reaction. And she succeeded in showing that women will tear one another apart. She succeeded in showing that it's an incredibly shallow world we live in.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tabby;1390132 wrote: On the subject of confidence itself, I'm not sure confident people actually go around announcing that they're confident, it sort of speaks for itself if it's genuine. The same goes for most qualities ... physical or otherwise. If you have to verbally announce it ... it's probably more a case of how you want to be perceived more so than how you are in reality.

In regards to this particular person, she is a reporter after all. If I've read the piece properly, this was done for what she saw as good reason.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
theia

Post by theia »

I've bitched about another woman's appearance on many occasions in my life. But, one of the few benefits of getting older is realising that it has been my own insecurities that have formed my judgments.

As Snooze said, if you can truly accept your own body and its imperfections, why on earth would you need to judge another body in a negative way? And bodies are not the only thing we are...we can all be beautiful or ugly in lots of other ways.

Cough, cough, hobble, hobble...oops, wrong thread.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
tabby

Post by tabby »

Ahso & Betty, I understand what her intent was but I just don't agree with the perpetuation of the portrayal of all women as mean spirited and petty.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

tabby;1390138 wrote: Ahso & Betty, I understand what her intent was but I just don't agree with the perpetuation of the portrayal of all women as mean spirited and petty.

But, the sheer volume of women that have responded to the article with their bitchiness has proved that there is a large majority who are mean spirited and petty.

And, no not every single woman is, I can't think of any of my circle of friends that would be so nasty to another woman.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1390134 wrote: She set out to create a reaction. And she succeeded in showing that women will tear one another apart. She succeeded in showing that it's an incredibly shallow world we live in.

Many of the cruel comments were from men...

Women being labelled as ' Tearing other women apart' ? Why ? Because we all have opinions ?

Having an opinion Is not 'Tearing a woman apart.'

Saying 'Yes, she's pretty or 'No, I wouldn't call her beautiful'

Being Objective Is not 'Tearing a woman apart'....

And you know what ? I have worked and lived In among one of the most male orientated enviroments over the years In horse racing. The nastiest and cruelest comments about women I've ever heard have come from men.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

oscar;1390149 wrote: Many of the cruel comments were from men...That's a good point. What I've noticed is that in order for many females to feel accepted they've become more like men over the years. The stories we're fed out of hollywood and in books are of women who have taken part in the hero role men once occupied exclusively. We admire females who play men's sports. It's all pretty interesting. It seems man has succeeded in demoralizing womanhood and now have females eating each other alive like we see in this event.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1390149 wrote: Many of the cruel comments were from men...

Women being labelled as ' Tearing other women apart' ? Why ? Because we all have opinions ?

Having an opinion Is not 'Tearing a woman apart.'

Saying 'Yes, she's pretty or 'No, I wouldn't call her beautiful'

Being Objective Is not 'Tearing a woman apart'....

And you know what ? I have worked and lived In among one of the most male orientated enviroments over the years In horse racing. The nastiest and cruelest comments about women I've ever heard have come from men.

No fair trying to turn a woman bashing thread into a man bashing thread. Keep on topic please.:sneaky:
Oscar Namechange

Ahso!;1390156 wrote: That's a good point. What I've noticed is that in order for many females to feel accepted they've become more like men over the years. The stories we're fed out of hollywood and in books are of women who have taken part in the hero role men once occupied exclusively. We admire females who play men's sports. It's all pretty interesting. It seems man has succeeded in demoralizing womanhood and now have females eating each other alive like we see in this event.

I partially agree with some of which you have said but ' females eating each other alive' ??

Excuse me, but have you ever heard two gay men discussing the contestants on Ex Factor ??? :wah:

The problem Is not men demoralising women over the years but the advent of equal rights. Women's demands historically for equal pay, equal rights In the work place etc etc have created the demon of which they have now morphed Into.

Women have not so much become like men to be accepted but men have accepted that If the women want equal rights then they are treated equally to men.

I did a 6 year apprenticeship with Ladbrookes when I was young. At the time, I was one of only two women In my city and In a male dominated enviroment. I quietly learned my trade and then spent years part time working the race courses with my Brother.... I spend an hour or so every night tweeting my reports and talking on line to trainers and Jockeys.... I like to think I am respected In the Industry for my knowledge but you would not believe how I was viewed all those years ago...
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Funnily enough I see this as an amalgamation of a couple of threads.

Who is the arrogant fellow that winds up with his smug look ?

I am not good with names.......

And then there is the self deprecation of the English.....in the Englishness thread.

Add these threads together with this one and it makes more sense.

People don't like over confident or cock sure people, whatever their gender.

And the English more so.

The article was done for affect, but what it proves I don't know.
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1390169 wrote:

The article was done for affect, but what it proves I don't know.
That you were right In the first place.... No-one likes a big head.
xara

Post by xara »

Bruv;1390169 wrote:

And then there is the self deprecation of the English.....in the Englishness thread.

Heyyy!

Don't start having a go at my thread :p
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I suspect Ahso thinks narcissism is healthy since he can relate.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

xara;1390192 wrote: Heyyy!

Don't start having a go at my thread :p

SnoozeAgain;1390224 wrote: I suspect Ahso thinks narcissism is healthy since he can relate.

No comment
Oscar Namechange

This woman ( Samantha Brick ) has now claimed:

" Angelina Jolie must have the problem as me"

Samantha Brick says backlash and bile over yesterday's Daily Mail proves she's right | Mail Online

Errrrrr no....

Angelina Jolie Is a beautiful, talented actress, multi-millionaire, wonderful mother, stunning body and Is married to the ( considered ) sexiest man In the world who Is also an award winning actor, multi-millionaire and wonderful Father. Both ooze class and grace.

Angelina Jolie has to also employ almost an army of security to protect her from unwanted male attention and nutjobs daily.

You Samantha Brick are a pot bellied, cart horse In comparison, a nobody and are married to an overweight, bald Frenchman who likes to pose with guns and there-fore probably has a very small penis.

The chances of Hollywood phoning you Samantha Brick to ask If you can be a body double for Lara Croft are nil.
Oscar Namechange

One of these Is Samantha Brick. the other Is Angelina Jolie..... hmmmm which Is which I wonder???

Attached files
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Yeah, I saw her attempt to compare herself to Jolie. But her "self confidence" is healthy. *eye roll*
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1390255 wrote: Yeah, I saw her attempt to compare herself to Jolie. But her "self confidence" is healthy. *eye roll* There's something wrong with her.
xara

Post by xara »

oscar;1390247 wrote: This woman ( Samantha Brick ) has now claimed:

" Angelina Jolie must have the problem as me"

Samantha Brick says backlash and bile over yesterday's Daily Mail proves she's right | Mail Online

Errrrrr no....

Angelina Jolie Is a beautiful, talented actress, multi-millionaire, wonderful mother, stunning body and Is married to the ( considered ) sexiest man In the world who Is also an award winning actor, multi-millionaire and wonderful Father. Both ooze class and grace.

Angelina Jolie has to also employ almost an army of security to protect her from unwanted male attention and nutjobs daily.

You Samantha Brick are a pot bellied, cart horse In comparison, a nobody and are married to an overweight, bald Frenchman who likes to pose with guns and there-fore probably has a very small penis.

The chances of Hollywood phoning you Samantha Brick to ask If you can be a body double for Lara Croft are nil.

..If you like lollipop heads.
Oscar Namechange

xara;1390257 wrote: ..If you like lollipop heads. Who's the lollipop head? Jolie or Samantha Brick?
xara

Post by xara »

oscar;1390259 wrote: Who's the lollipop head? Jolie or Samantha Brick?

Jolie
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Jolie's way, WAY too thin.
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1390263 wrote: Jolie's way, WAY too thin.
I must admit I've seen more meat on a butchers dog but she does have class.
theia

Post by theia »

This has probably been posted before on this thread but I'm not going to apologise...I'm a woman who likes living on the edge.

Anyway, I think it must be wonderful to have confidence in yourself (I've only ever met one woman in my life who gave this off in her demeanour). But you would have no need to shout about it to others...why would you be bothered what others think?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
xara

Post by xara »

theia;1390281 wrote: This has probably been posted before on this thread but I'm not going to apologise...I'm a woman who likes living on the edge.

Anyway, I think it must be wonderful to have confidence in yourself (I've only ever met one woman in my life who gave this off in her demeanour). But you would have no need to shout about it to others...why would you be bothered what others think?

There's a difference between confidence and arrogance.
theia

Post by theia »

xara;1390285 wrote: There's a difference between confidence and arrogance.

I know...that's why I posted the word "confidence" and not the word "arrogance."

Return to “General Chit Chat”