Femodene pill, might be forceably taken away, advice needed.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hi I am on Femodene because I was suffering from heavy periods, and it was really making me depressed and causing me to become bad tempered etc. I want to stay on it until I am fifty, but the nurse says I might have to come off of it because of my age.

I don't want to come off of it and go back to square one, where I would be unwell and have mood swings again. Just not worth the hassle!

I feel I am being ignored just because of a policy rule, and because it states on my record I have boarder line learning difficulties.. I might have learning issue's, but I am not that daft! :-5:yh_angry

If they could find me an alternative which could help then I would be happy. But this hasn't really been discussed with me. Can you advise me please? :-3
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I don't think any doctor likes to prescribe the pill beyond forty. It also depends on how long you have been on it too, they don't like anyone taking it for over ten years.

Make an appointment with a nurse and ask to discuss your options, there should be other choices such as the coil or an implant.
tazzy

Post by tazzy »

yes, you should talk to the nurse or doctor on what they plan on doing. You need to dissuss this with them
Aura

Post by Aura »

there should be other choices such as the coil or an implant.

Thanks for your replie's. The coil is totally out of the question as it wouldn't work, and the implant is no good to me either. I want something that stops me from having having massively heavy periods, stops me from being depressed because I am too ill with a stomach ache to live life properly again. Is there something else beside's going back to Hell again?
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Aura;1392889 wrote: Thanks for your replie's. The coil is totally out of the question as it wouldn't work, and the implant is no good to me either. I want something that stops me from having having massively heavy periods, stops me from being depressed because I am too ill with a stomach ache to live life properly again. Is there something else beside's going back to Hell again?

If heavy periods are your problem, then the coil Is the worst thing possible.

The reason your GP Is likely to remove your supply of Femodene Is because used for too long, It can cause strokes, deep vein thrombosis etc.

I sympathise here because I found myself In a similar situation. The answer for me was:

Norethisterone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please ask your GP for this as It's an absolute godsend.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
valerie

Post by valerie »

Being from the U.S., I'm not familiar with this particular drug, but there are other things

you can do.

I wonder, are you in generally good health? No smoking, not overweight? Those seem to

be the triggers that doctors feel necessitate a removal from a pill.

You might be surprised that your periods might not be as heavy or lengthy at an older

age.

One thing that helps most women (and I include myself in that) is something called a

uterine ablation. That is ONLY if you no longer desire pregnancy, because it destroys

the uterine lining making nowhere for an egg to implant and grow. You might ask about

it.

I did take the pill until age 52, about 33 years total without side effects (but with a

couple of short breaks in the earlier years) and it was no problem at all for me.

Good luck, I can certainly understand how you must be feeling about this!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Aura

Post by Aura »

oscar;1392893 wrote: If heavy periods are your problem, then the coil Is the worst thing possible.

The reason your GP Is likely to remove your supply of Femodene Is because used for too long, It can cause strokes, deep vein thrombosis etc.

I sympathise here because I found myself In a similar situation. The answer for me was:

Norethisterone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please ask your GP for this as It's an absolute godsend.

Norethisterone? I have never heard of it, how does it work please? The pill I am on stops me from being depressed as hell once a month because I have heavy bleeding and severe stomach and head cramps for three days. I felt like jumping out of a window to end the pain because everything was that bad and I can't go back to that again. EVER!

I don't smoke, have never touched one. Will ask my Dr About Norethisterone, thanks.
Oscar Namechange

Aura;1392937 wrote: Norethisterone? I have never heard of it, how does it work please? The pill I am on stops me from being depressed as hell once a month because I have heavy bleeding and severe stomach and head cramps for three days. I felt like jumping out of a window to end the pain because everything was that bad and I can't go back to that again. EVER!

I don't smoke, have never touched one. Will ask my Dr About Norethisterone, thanks. Norethisterone Is designed to stop heavy periods and periods that last over the usual week. Doctors often prescribe It as an example If a girl Is due her period on a wedding day or her holiday because It stops periods full stop. You take a pill each day for 3 weeks, then stop taking It. Within 2 days, you're period will start. You begin taking It again 5 to 7 days later and continue again for another 3 weeks and so on. It also eradicates all PMT and period pains. It really Is life changing.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Aura

Post by Aura »

oscar;1392938 wrote: Norethisterone Is designed to stop heavy periods and periods that last over the usual week. Doctors often prescribe It as an example If a girl Is due her period on a wedding day or her holiday because It stops periods full stop. You take a pill each day for 3 weeks, then stop taking It. Within 2 days, you're period will start. You begin taking It again 5 to 7 days later and continue again for another 3 weeks and so on. It also eradicates all PMT and period pains. It really Is life changing.

This is good news, but is there any side effects like?
Oscar Namechange

Aura;1392939 wrote: This is good news, but is there any side effects like?

I was on It over 12 years and I never had any side effects at all.... Let me know what your GP says.
Aura

Post by Aura »

oscar;1392940 wrote: I was on It over 12 years and I never had any side effects at all.... Let me know what your GP says.

OK but I am a bit worried that they might say no to anything I suggest and say I have to have an implant. if so then I will change surgery.
Oscar Namechange

Aura;1392944 wrote: OK but I am a bit worried that they might say no to anything I suggest and say I have to have an implant. if so then I will change surgery.

Norethisterone Is a synthetic version of the hormone pill. Therefore there are none of the dangers with Stroke, clots etc that a hormone based pill have.... Because It's synthetic, she should have no objections to prescribing It for you.
Aura

Post by Aura »

oscar;1392945 wrote: Norethisterone Is a synthetic version of the hormone pill. Therefore there are none of the dangers with Stroke, clots etc that a hormone based pill have.... Because It's synthetic, she should have no objections to prescribing It for you.

Does it make your periods lighter like the pill does?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I would talk to your doctor to be honest and if you don't like his/her answer then I would get a second opinion. Perhaps more opinions are ideal until it is you feel your questions have been answered whether you'd expected something different or not, your concerns seem to be quite delicate...

But in any case Norethisterone is a progestogen just like gestodene found in Femodene so I would think they would be very similar but again I would ask your doctor(s).
Oscar Namechange

Aura;1392946 wrote: Does it make your periods lighter like the pill does?
Yes, much, much lighter and no pain.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1392945 wrote: Norethisterone Is a synthetic version of the hormone pill. Therefore there are none of the dangers with Stroke, clots etc that a hormone based pill have.... Because It's synthetic, she should have no objections to prescribing It for you.

Never heard of that one, at a guess I'd say it's no longer widely prescribed, if it is then I wish I'd have been given it to bring a years worth of uncontrollable bleeding to a halt. Instead I have to grit my teeth and bear it can't remember the last time I didn't bleed for 10 days in a row :-1
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1392954 wrote: Never heard of that one, at a guess I'd say it's no longer widely prescribed, if it is then I wish I'd have been given it to bring a years worth of uncontrollable bleeding to a halt. Instead I have to grit my teeth and bear it can't remember the last time I didn't bleed for 10 days in a row :-1 It's still widely used.... You can even buy It on the web.
Aura

Post by Aura »

oscar;1392952 wrote: Yes, much, much lighter and no pain.

Brilliant. Because that means I can kiss goodbye the days I bled heavily, and also suffered vomiting every time I got a headache. They were that bad that I was ill for two weeks.
Oscar Namechange

Aura;1393010 wrote: Brilliant. Because that means I can kiss goodbye the days I bled heavily, and also suffered vomiting every time I got a headache. They were that bad that I was ill for two weeks.

I used to cheat all the time with It.

Some months especially If I was working a lot of hours ( My periods used to drain my energy ), I'd take It every day for 8 weeks and miss a period here and there.... never did me any harm at all.

Good luck with the GP... let me know how you go.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Think I could take it like I do the pill, would it work that way? I know there will be no contraception defence but so long as the pain stops.
Oscar Namechange

Aura;1393016 wrote: Think I could take it like I do the pill, would it work that way? I know there will be no contraception defence but so long as the pain stops.

Like the pill, you just take a tablet every day.

I have to say, It changed my life..... I won't go Into too much detail but my periods lasted 2 to 3 weeks out of every month. In the end I became addicted to an over the counter pain killer called Veginin... Because It was a combination of Codiene and aspirin, after several years, the aspirin gave me a stomach ulcer and landed me In hospital.

It was only when I moved house and changed GP's that I was offered Norethisterone.... It really did change my life and I was furious that I had never been offered It before..... Started taking It and no more heavy periods and no more pain.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Our surgery can be like that, banging on about implants and coils, and just plainly ignoring other alternative's. Will mention this to the lady I am seeing as see what she says :)
Aura

Post by Aura »

Aura;1393039 wrote: Our surgery can be like that, banging on about implants and coils, and just plainly ignoring other alternative's. Will mention this to the lady I am seeing as see what she says :)

Went to see her and she did start banging on about having the coil and I firmly said no! I asked her about Norethisterone but she said it isn't used a lot. She was a bit reluctant about me going on it. So i said is there a pill similar to Femdene, she said there was. there is no way I am going back to be sick for days on end and bleeding buckets with throwing up into a bowl due to headache's and stomach cramps. Are there pills like Femodene? Many thanks.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Aura;1393415 wrote: Went to see her and she did start banging on about having the coil and I firmly said no! I asked her about Norethisterone but she said it isn't used a lot. She was a bit reluctant about me going on it. So i said is there a pill similar to Femdene, she said there was. there is no way I am going back to be sick for days on end and bleeding buckets with throwing up into a bowl due to headache's and stomach cramps. Are there pills like Femodene? Many thanks.Give your local pharmacists a call, they will know more about that question than doctors actually.
Aura

Post by Aura »

K.Snyder;1393507 wrote: Give your local pharmacists a call, they will know more about that question than doctors actually.

Will try Boots and see what they have to say :)
Aura

Post by Aura »

I hope this is the right forum. Just seen my Dr and I am very stressed. I have been on Femodene contraceptive pill since I was sixteen because of my periods were a nightmare, Femodene was a godsend. My periods used to be quite heavy and made me ill and depressed for days on end, also I used to get bad mood swings causing me to shout at everyone. I once booked a party (my own) but couldn’t go in the end because my periods ruined it all and made me very ill. I used to get bad headaches that made me throw up, and severe stomach cramps that I could hardly walk.

I had my son eight years ago and tried to stay off the pill to see if that would make a difference. I had been told it wasn’t so bad after having children. There was no difference at all, in fact it went back to what it was, I couldn’t even track it on a calendar as it is so unpredictable and irregular. So I went back onto Femodene again and things got better for a while.

Now my Dr wants me to come off and go onto something else because of my age, I’m 39. I would like to go on the mini pill as I have checked all my options. She is abdement that I must have a coil inserted. I don’t want this, but she is insistent I must have it. Apparently it’s inserted for five years like having a smear. I am scared to death as I hate smears, the last one I had hurt me very much and was a real ordeal. :-1

I want to go on the mini pill but I feel I am not being listened to. I said I would try this before I considered the coil. There are two types of mini and I am worried that if one doesn’t suite me, then she will force me to have the coil, and this is something I am desperate to avoid. Can you advise me on what I should do please? I am scared sick and don’t want to return to the hell of being ill and all over the place.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Tried a few times to say something useful, but really apart from suggesting you request a second opinion (I think we all have that right) there is nothing I can think of. Typical man, of course, to look for a solution. Even when all I'm here to say I'm so sorry you have to go through this. A few people I've cared about down the years have suffered this way.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Doctors in Britain can Force patients to take what they don't want? Holy cow, that is absolutely unbelievable. You have no options other than one doc's opinion?
valerie

Post by valerie »

Since I (as well as others) tried to help you out with

this back in May... I'm done.

Not very nice of you to have people waste their time

and energy.

Get a grip!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I also said back along that it is to do with your age and the length of time you have been on the pill. It is actually for your own health that the doctors no longer want you to take the pill.

A smear should never be 'painful', the fitting of the coil takes a bit longer than a smear test and doesn't hurt, it's more an 'uncomfortable' feeling for a few minutes then hey presto you forget about it for five years.

I think you could see twenty doctors and they'd all be reluctant to continue to prescribe the pill.
Aura

Post by Aura »

valerie;1398185 wrote: Since I (as well as others) tried to help you out with

this back in May... I'm done.

Not very nice of you to have people waste their time

and energy.

Get a grip!

I don't mean to be rude but there is no need to be nasty and unkind. I have never been nasty to you so why the attitude? :(
Aura

Post by Aura »

Betty Boop;1398190 wrote: I also said back along that it is to do with your age and the length of time you have been on the pill. It is actually for your own health that the doctors no longer want you to take the pill.

A smear should never be 'painful', the fitting of the coil takes a bit longer than a smear test and doesn't hurt, it's more an 'uncomfortable' feeling for a few minutes then hey presto you forget about it for five years.

I think you could see twenty doctors and they'd all be reluctant to continue to prescribe the pill.

Thank you for your reply. perhaps I should have added it to the other thread, I wasn't sure if it was being checked any more. I might have to change female doctors as I have now been advised to get a second opinion.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Sorry I have copied a message to this thread as i don't know how to delete the other one. I should have added to this thread but I created another one. So if that could be deleted by forum garden, sorry to be a pain. OK here goes..

Just seen my Dr and I am very stressed after 'trying' to talk to her. She wants me to come off and go onto something else because of my age, I’m 39. I would like to go on the mini pill as I have checked all my options. She is abdement that I must have a coil inserted. I don’t want this, but she is insistent I must have it. Apparently it’s inserted for five years like having a smear. I am scared to death as I hate smears, the last one I had hurt me very much and was a real ordeal. The mini pill 'Cerazette' is anyone on it, and what is it like? All women's bodies are different, so it might work or it might not.

I want to go on the mini pill but I feel I am not being listened to. I said I would try this before I considered the coil. There are two types of mini and I am worried that if one doesn’t suite me, then she will force me to have the coil, and this is something I am desperate to avoid. Can you advise me on what I should do please? I am scared sick and don’t want to return to the hell of being ill and all over the place.

Sorry to bore you with this again. Many thanks.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Aura, I'll join the two threads together. We can't really delete today's whole thread as there are replies to your first post of today which would upset the members who posted.

I can delete one of your posts with your permission so it doesn't look like you repeated yourself :)
Aura

Post by Aura »

Thanks that's very kind of you, how do I report a offensive post please? I feel it was a bit nasty and uncalled for. Can we keep this thread please?

Many thanks. :)
valerie

Post by valerie »

Aura;1398195 wrote: I don't mean to be rude but there is no need to be nasty and unkind. I have never been nasty to you so why the attitude? :(

That wasn't me being nasty, more matter-of-fact, really. I do extend an apology for the

way it read, then, okay?

But it seems to me this is just more attention seeking behavior. Because you are

apparently ignoring any/maybe all of the advice you got a little less than two months

ago.

Do you know how to use the search function? You can insert a word (say, Femodene)

and the system will check for where it's been used before. Then if it's just a case

of faulty memory, you will be able to see that you did in fact start a thread on it

already, when, and what sort of replies you got.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Aura

Post by Aura »

valerie;1398205 wrote: That wasn't me being nasty, more matter-of-fact, really. I do extend an apology for the

way it read, then, okay?

But it seems to me this is just more attention seeking behavior. Because you are

apparently ignoring any/maybe all of the advice you got a little less than two months

ago.

Do you know how to use the search function? You can insert a word (say, Femodene)

and the system will check for where it's been used before. Then if it's just a case

of faulty memory, you will be able to see that you did in fact start a thread on it

already, when, and what sort of replies you got.

Never mind friend, perhaps i did make a bit of a boo boo. I am adding to my original thread now. Forum garden say they will merge this thread with the other one.

:)
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I can understand Valerie's frustration. Many people offer suggestions on your many threads and they're frequently ignored. Seeing a new thread on an old topic is kind of a slap in the face for the people that tried to help you several months ago.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Sorry about that, I will learn. :) I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Return to “General Chit Chat”