Mary of Magdala.

jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

I’m researching the Magdalene for my next writing project. An odd subject for an atheist to write about you may think, but I’m doing it because I believe, no I know, that the female of the species has received a bum rap from the “Church since day one.”

It’s been hard work distinguishing between fact, legend and the allegorical interpretation of the scriptures. Probably because the Bible was mostly compiled by male chauvinist pigs, the Magdalene is depicted as a prostitute … a whore and yet it seems she might have anything but. It seems highly unlikely that Jesus, who is often referred to as “Rabbi”, wasn’t married as this was practically a must for all mature Jewish males and compulsory for a Rabbi. “Be fruitful and multiply” were the buzz words of the time.

She was his constant companion and she wept at the foot of the cross during his crucifixion. And if she had simply been a loose woman, why did the allegedly risen Jesus reveal himself to her first? The apostles often complained that Jesus spoke to the Magdalene of matters he did not discuss with them and that he kissed her often.

I think there is much more to Mary of Magdala than the “Church” would have anyone know.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Oscar Namechange

Mary of Magdala.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

This may be of Interest to you.

A statue reportedly showing Mary with child. I did some reading on the possibility of Mary having a daughter at the time of the crucifixion.

Paris deconstructed: Mary Magdalene in Paris
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

Its an interesting tale Oscar. I never ever discount anything like this because life is full of surprises.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

Mary of Magdala.

Post by LarsMac »

Quite a bit has been written about Mary, over the centuries.

Good luck on your project.

Hope you find something new.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

Thanx LarsMac ... I am finding out new stuff all the time.
Oscar Namechange

Mary of Magdala.

I do believe that an extraordinary man lived 2,000 years ago. But to believe that a 36 year old man living In the middle east during those times without a wife and children Is not logical to me.

I don't buy Into the Dan Brown kind of theories but It has been believed for 2,000 years that Mary arrived In France at the time of the crucifixion with an 8 year old daughter, Sarah where she was given exile.

Throughout France, there are artifacts that depict Mary with child.

Something else I did some reading on was this business about the three wise men..

To sum up, Due to the fact that depictions of the three wise men show them wearing long pants, It's believed they came from Persia. Entwined In this, Is why did Herod call for the slaughter of all male babies up to the age of two If Jesus had just been born ???? It raises questions.

It Is questioned by some historians that Jesus was actually around the age of two when the three wise men were sent to protect him. They also believe that these three men from Persia were sent to give Jesus safe passage Into Ancient Egypt where apparently there Is evidence of Jesus as child being brought to Phebes.

JJ... do you know of the Exile Carpet In America?

Around the year 1990 an American dealer in antique textiles and artifacts, Jeremy Pine, came into possession of an ancient prayer rug. The rug depicted a story of people―several surrounded with halos, traveling in boats. Pine searched for a historic event or legend to match the image, but he was unsuccessful until he read "The Da Vinci Code."

Pine related the prayer rug image to Jesus, his family and their exile, then contacted Margaret Starbid in 2004 and sent her a jpg of the carpet. Starbird included “The Exile Carpet,” in her book "Mary Magdalene, Bride in Exile."

“Intrigued by the images, Pine submitted a sample from the fragments to the Rafter Radiocarbon Laboratory in New Zealand for carbon-14 dating analysis . . . The carpet was dated in two separate tests to a period in the mid-second century, A.D. 150-180, making it one of the oldest Christian artifacts in existence.” [1]

“In the opinion of the custodian of this unusual artifact every detail known about the carpet fragments is consistent with the Grail legend, the 'great secret of the Middle Ages'―that the persecuted and exiled family of Jesus sailed away in a tiny boat. Jeremy Pine asserts the rug may have been created by Christians who believed that the surviving child of Jesus and Mary Magdalene was a daughter.” [2]

The mystery of Mary Magdalene - National Christianity | Examiner.com
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

Thanx for this Oscar ...
Oscar Namechange

Mary of Magdala.

jones jones;1400046 wrote: Thanx for this Oscar ... I read a great deal JJ and this Is one of the most Interesting subjects for me.

When I actually saw the Exile Carpet when It was shown on TV, I think that was the one artifact that clarified It all. Simply because of the carbon dating. The piece of carpet clearly shows a woman with small female child In a boat .and both have halo's.
jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

I'm going to call this story ... "A Very Inconvenient Woman." cos this is exactly what I believe the Church considered the Magdalene to be.
Oscar Namechange

Mary of Magdala.

jones jones;1400139 wrote: I'm going to call this story ... "A Very Inconvenient Woman." cos this is exactly what I believe the Church considered the Magdalene to be.

Oh Certainly !!!!

I'd love to read your work on this subject.
LarsMac

Mary of Magdala.

Post by LarsMac »

jones jones;1400139 wrote: I'm going to call this story ... "A Very Inconvenient Woman." cos this is exactly what I believe the Church considered the Magdalene to be.

If I may ask,

Which Church would that be?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

LarsMac;1400147 wrote: If I may ask,

Which Church would that be?

It would be the church who wrote and re-wrote and edited and re-edited the bible. The Roman Catholic Church.
AnneBoleyn

Mary of Magdala.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

And Mother Mary was the convenient woman. That was my topic for my senior thesis as an undergrad.
jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1400265 wrote: And Mother Mary was the convenient woman. That was my topic for my senior thesis as an undergrad.

Aaaaaaah Annie ... So I can get some info from you. Coohil!
AnneBoleyn

Mary of Magdala.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

jones jones;1400266 wrote: Aaaaaaah Annie ... So I can get some info from you. Coohil!
You are welcome to pick what is left of my brain. :-5
jones jones

Mary of Magdala.

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1400267 wrote: You are welcome to pick what is left of my brain. :-5

I shall do so ... what is left and right of your brain!

Return to “General Religious Discussions”