Cantaloupe

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Accountable

Cantaloupe

Post by Accountable »

They're in season here. So sweet that my beloved & I can eat until we can't move, so we only cut up one half at a time.

When storing the other half in the fridge, do you scoop the seeds out first or leave them in until you're ready to eat?
valerie

Cantaloupe

Post by valerie »

Scoop first, cut into chunks, store in Tupperware.

My experience, removing seeds and surrounding

membranes helps keep the melon a tiny bit fresher.

I eat it up pretty fast, though.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

LarsMac

Cantaloupe

Post by LarsMac »

valerie;1401218 wrote: Scoop first, cut into chunks, store in Tupperware.

I eat it up pretty fast, though.

That's what we do, as well.

Usually the whole thing is gone by end of the day.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Accountable

Cantaloupe

Post by Accountable »

valerie;1401218 wrote: Scoop first, cut into chunks, store in Tupperware.

I eat it up pretty fast, though.That's what we do, except the store part. Once the half get cut into chunks she's done for. :wah:

I guess we'll continue to scoop & wrap the 2nd half in plastic wrap & eat the 1st half right away. :yh_drool
Scrat

Cantaloupe

Post by Scrat »

Cantaloupes and Honeydew melons have a survival time of about 10 minutes in this house. Even the cats like the cantloupes
spot

Cantaloupe

Post by spot »

Coincidentally cantaloupes have started to make their appearance in British supermarkets over the last year or perhaps two. I'd never seen one before then, I've certainly never bought or eaten one. It's odd because, as far as I understand the matter, they originated in southern Europe.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Cantaloupe

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1401426 wrote: Coincidentally cantaloupes have started to make their appearance in British supermarkets over the last year or perhaps two. I'd never seen one before then, I've certainly never bought or eaten one. It's odd because, as far as I understand the matter, they originated in southern Europe.

The name Is derived from 'Cantalupo ' which was once a papal seat near Rome however, It's generally understood that the species first originated from Ancient Armenia before finding It's way Into Europe.

[moderator note] plagiarised from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantaloupe#Etymology [/moderator note]
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Cantaloupe

Post by spot »

I expect if you go back far enough you'll find the species originated as a seaweed.

Where's this Papal Seat of which you speak, oscar? North of Rome? South? You leave me hanging in suspense wondering whether Bishops of the Ancient Armenian Orthodox Church spat their cantaloupe seeds while gathering in conclave with His Holiness and if so, what Synod they were attending. All of this depends on your accurately identifying the site and when it was in use by the Church.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Cantaloupe

Post by gmc »

I always thought it was one of those exotic fruits brought back from the americas like squashes. (yes I know a squash is a vegetable) you live and learn.
Oscar Namechange

Cantaloupe

gmc;1401442 wrote: I always thought it was one of those exotic fruits brought back from the americas like squashes. (yes I know a squash is a vegetable) you live and learn.

Cantaloupe Is in the same family as squashes, pumpkins, gourds and cucumbers. It grows on a vine on the ground. It's very Important you wash them before cutting Into them because bacteria can grow on the skin.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Cantaloupe

Post by spot »

oscar;1401443 wrote: It's very Important you wash them before cutting Into them because bacteria can grow on the skin.
I'm a cantaloupe!!
gmc

Cantaloupe

Post by gmc »

spot;1401446 wrote: I'm a cantaloupe!!

Oh very good - been watching spartacus again haven't you, I rather liked the TV series, mind you I think Xena should have been in the arena, she would have beaten the lot of them.
Oscar Namechange

Cantaloupe

gmc;1401449 wrote: Oh very good - been watching spartacus again haven't you, I rather liked the TV series, mind you I think Xena should have been in the arena, she would have beaten the lot of them. No... he meant that he's oval shaped, has yellow wrinkly skin and goes off very rapidly In hot weather.
gmc

Cantaloupe

Post by gmc »

oscar;1401450 wrote: No... he meant that he's oval shaped, has yellow wrinkly skin and goes off very rapidly In hot weather.

That's unkind, I think he's working on his humour muscles.
Oscar Namechange

Cantaloupe

gmc;1401453 wrote: That's unkind, I think he's working on his humour muscles. I was joking
spot

Cantaloupe

Post by spot »

oscar;1401454 wrote: I was joking

Does that cover your curious assertion that Armenia isn't European, too? I was brought up on Maps Of Empire at school which divided Europe from Asia at the Urals. We had them rolled into our exercise books and wrote in the Principal Exports, Naming Arterial River Systems. Armenia was definitely in Europe then.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Cantaloupe

spot;1401456 wrote: Does that cover your curious assertion that Armenia isn't European, too? I was brought up on Maps Of Empire at school which divided Europe from Asia at the Urals. We had them rolled into our exercise books and wrote in the Principal Exports, Naming Arterial River Systems. Armenia was definitely in Europe then. One can only apologise Spot.... a moment of momentous numptyness.
valerie

Cantaloupe

Post by valerie »

Don't you make me trot out my cantaloupe joke!

:yh_wait:yh_giggle
Tamsen's Dogster Page

gmc

Cantaloupe

Post by gmc »

oscar;1401454 wrote: I was joking

So was I. :-5 Still not sure spot was - he does claim to have no sense of humour.

Don't you make me trot out my cantaloupe joke!

Let's hear it then.
LarsMac

Cantaloupe

Post by LarsMac »

The wife just returned from visiting her family down in the Arkansas valley, and brought back a few Cantaloupes from Rocky Ford.

Rocky Ford produces the BEST Cantaloupes in the world.

This is the best time of the year, in my book.
- DH Lawrence
valerie

Cantaloupe

Post by valerie »

gmc;1401481 wrote: So was I. :-5 Still not sure spot was - he does claim to have no sense of humour.

Let's hear it then.

If you insist, but it's a groaner!

Where do cantaloupes go in the summertime?

John Cougar Mellencamp!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Accountable

Cantaloupe

Post by Accountable »

HA!:wah:
Snowfire

Cantaloupe

Post by Snowfire »

Haha ! Thats a knee slapper.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Accountable

Cantaloupe

Post by Accountable »

"Come away with me and be wed," he said

"I can't against Dad rebel." His heart fell.

"Don't decide so soon. give it some time."

"You're making me swoon."

"I'll come by at nine. Answer me then"

I'll leave you a sign easy to ken

So at nine he arrived, and his heart lost all hope.

Because there on porch was his answer:

Cantaloupe.

~An original poem by Accountable.
Snowfire

Cantaloupe

Post by Snowfire »

A wonderful track

Winston Churchill
valerie

Cantaloupe

Post by valerie »

^^

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I absolutely freakin' LOVE it!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Snowfire

Cantaloupe

Post by Snowfire »

That should have been an embed. *sigh*

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Cantaloupe

Post by Snowfire »

Is that better ?

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Cantaloupe

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1401554 wrote:

Is that better ?

Looks better, but sounds just the same.

good stuff
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Cantaloupe

valerie;1401508 wrote: If you insist, but it's a groaner!

Where do cantaloupes go in the summertime?

John Cougar Mellencamp!

I've been on facebook too long... just went to click the like button.
Aussie Harmony

Cantaloupe

Post by Aussie Harmony »

I wish I knew what was best. We eat them too quickly. But if I buy half a one in a shop it seems to keep ok and they always have seeds in them.

Return to “Gardening Forum”