Shop local.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
flopstock

Shop local.

Post by flopstock »

Times are tough and if I can get it cheaper with free shipping, hey - why not?

Because that next job out the door may be mine or yours, that's why.

Everyone should commit to shopping local ONLY this year.

They just had a small business Saturday event. It's like they are throwing a one day bone to the local guys. I think we should start a movement here and now to push for local every day this Christmas season in our areas.

Stores are not moving into our local mall anymore and those that are there are downsizing or leaving all together. Everyone is going 'online'. Which is great if we all live next to distribution centers, eh? Not so great if folks are trying to earn money with which to shop on-line themselves.

We are putting ourselves and our neighbors out of work with our actions. How about if we didn't. Our local store might then find that they can pick up some of that extra inventory pretty darned cheap and perhaps pass it on to us.

We need a rally song and a slogan to get this to catch on, so help me out with suggestions folks.:guitarist:guitarist
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tabby

Shop local.

Post by tabby »

I support the idea, flopstock and I hope everyone at least considers it! It seems like almost every day I read of another local small business floundering and closing shop for good. If it can't be done exclusively, at least portion out some of your purchases to help your local economy.

Oscar Namechange

Shop local.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I totally agree with this.

Too many of our High Streets are ghost towns now.

I have been shopping today for some Christmas Items and got my decs from the local veg man, cards from the local card shop, odd gifts In odd gift shops, bits In the pet shop etc etc.... It was actually good to see the small local shops buzzing today.

Very often, they are cheaper than the big stores.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
YZGI

Shop local.

Post by YZGI »

Stop and shop at a Mom And Pops.
flopstock

Shop local.

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1411346 wrote: Stop and shop at a Mom And Pops.

Okay!

Now, did you steal that or think it up?

If you thought it up can we use it?:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Shop local.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

For everyday items I totally agree with you - it's something we do anyway.

Support your Local, you know it makes sense :-)
YZGI

Shop local.

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1411372 wrote: Okay!

Now, did you steal that or think it up?

If you thought it up can we use it?:sneaky:

I made it up..Right off the top of my little ole brain.
Oscar Namechange

Shop local.

There Is another big difference with local shops and big stores also.

I don't do this myself as I have some pride and self respect but my husband will always ask for discount for cash and he gets It. I pretend I'm not with him when he does It,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mikeinie

Shop local.

Post by mikeinie »

I already support as much as possible the businesses in my community. It is the right thing to do.
Oscar Namechange

Shop local.

Also, your local butcher and veg man will always get In something unusual for you should you ask for It In advance and bone and cut your meat to your way of liking.... Big stores won't do that either.
flopstock

Shop local.

Post by flopstock »

Okay now... everyone post this slogan to your facebook and twitter then ask all your friends and family to share or retweet...

Let's get this puppy rolling!:guitarist

Stop and Shop at a Mom And Pops

Snooz

Shop local.

Post by Snooz »

I buy a lot of stuff on etsy.
flopstock

Shop local.

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1411461 wrote: I buy a lot of stuff on etsy.

That's really cool. I didn't even know it was there:guitarist

LarsMac

Shop local.

Post by LarsMac »

My wife has taken to gathering up goodies and knicknacks that you can buy from local makers around Colorado and Wyoming, and building gift baskets to send out to family around the country.

They are a big hit, and the cost is usually pretty reasonable, and we support local mom and pop shops and producers.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Shop local.

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1411461 wrote: I buy a lot of stuff on etsy.

OK, I'll bite. What is ETSY?
flopstock

Shop local.

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1411512 wrote: OK, I'll bite. What is ETSY?

Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies

Oscar Namechange

Shop local.

YZGI;1411512 wrote: OK, I'll bite. What is ETSY? A mis-spelt fly
Saint_

Shop local.

Post by Saint_ »

I'd shop more locally....If I didn't live in an uninhabited wasteland!

flopstock

Shop local.

Post by flopstock »

I feel so guilty.. went to a grandsons christmas program and mom was frantic because they can't find mutant ninga turtle guys...

I stopped by walmart and they had them...:lips:

YZGI

Shop local.

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1411577 wrote: I feel so guilty.. went to a grandsons christmas program and mom was frantic because they can't find mutant ninga turtle guys...

I stopped by walmart and they had them...:lips:

Blasphemer!!!!

Return to “General Chit Chat”