Christmas duties

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Snowfire

Christmas duties

Post by Snowfire »

My duties this festive season are to cook my sausage rolls, a family favourite (well thats what I tell myself)

And to cook the ham, which I have part boiled before roasting it with a glaze

Boxing day, is my other speciality, turkey and leek pie with a chestnut and sage pastry topping. My kids request it every year, so it must be good

My next duty is to put my feet up untill the festive season is over and empty the fridge of beer in the process
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Christmas duties

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire;1413962 wrote: My duties this festive season are to cook my sausage rolls, a family favourite (well thats what I tell myself)

And to cook the ham, which I have part boiled before roasting it with a glaze

Boxing day, is my other speciality, turkey and leek pie with a chestnut and sage pastry topping. My kids request it every year, so it must be good

My next duty is to put my feet up untill the festive season is over and empty the fridge of beer in the process

I really like the sound of that !

I've done the usual Vol-U-Vonts, Sausage Rolls etc etc.

Done my home-made ginger and pear trifle, triple stacked strawberry pavlova, homemade banana cheesecake, homemade sweet coconut sponge, triple stacked fresh cream and raspberry Victoria sponge.

Later, I'll glaze the gammon with mustard mixed with honey, prepare the turkey, pigs In blankets, turkey liver wrapped In streaky bacon and attempt to shell the lobster for the starter tomorrow. Then cook my whole leg of pork all night on low for pulled pork on Boxing day night.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Christmas duties

Post by Snowfire »

turkey & sweet leek pie | Jamie Oliver | Food | Jamie Oliver (UK)

It's seriously good

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Christmas duties

Snowfire;1413972 wrote: turkey & sweet leek pie | Jamie Oliver | Food | Jamie Oliver (UK)

It's seriously good Aside my opinion that Jamie Oliver Is a wanker, I'll try It.... I got leeks In ready for the soup made out of the turkey bones later In the week.... Thanks
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Christmas duties

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1413973 wrote: Aside my opinion that Jamie Oliver Is a wanker, I'll try It.... I got leeks In ready for the soup made out of the turkey bones later In the week.... Thanks

I don't know - he puts some fun into cookery which makes a change.

Looking in our fridge and given that we're going to our eldest daughter's for Christmas lunch, I'm convinced that we'll drown in food over the next few days :eek:
Oscar Namechange

Christmas duties

Bryn Mawr;1413984 wrote: I don't know - he puts some fun into cookery which makes a change.

Looking in our fridge and given that we're going to our eldest daughter's for Christmas lunch, I'm convinced that we'll drown in food over the next few days :eek:

I prefer the more refined approach of Michel Roux Jr
Kathy Ellen

Christmas duties

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, your day sounds good Snowfire, especially putting up the feet and finishing the beer....Hahaha....
Snowfire

Christmas duties

Post by Snowfire »

I've started on the chocolate brazils. My wife looked at me with pursed lips but hey, to all intents and purposes, Christmas has started

Winston Churchill
Kathy Ellen

Christmas duties

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1413970 wrote: I really like the sound of that !

I've done the usual Vol-U-Vonts, Sausage Rolls etc etc.

Done my home-made ginger and pear trifle, triple stacked strawberry pavlova, homemade banana cheesecake, homemade sweet coconut sponge, triple stacked fresh cream and raspberry Victoria sponge.

Later, I'll glaze the gammon with mustard mixed with honey, prepare the turkey, pigs In blankets, turkey liver wrapped In streaky bacon and attempt to shell the lobster for the starter tomorrow. Then cook my whole leg of pork all night on low for pulled pork on Boxing day night.

Oh Julie, I wanna come to your home for all those goodies....YUMMO!!!!! Where do you find the time to do all of that cooking??????
Kathy Ellen

Christmas duties

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Snowfire;1413989 wrote: I've started on the chocolate brazils. My wife looked at me with pursed lips but hey, to all intents and purposes, Christmas has started

What are chocolate brazils?
Oscar Namechange

Christmas duties

Kathy Ellen;1413992 wrote: Oh Julie, I wanna come to your home for all those goodies....YUMMO!!!!! Where do you find the time to do all of that cooking?????? I've been cooking for 3 days Kathy, now I just need a bigger fridge/freezer.

Incidently, my banana cheesecake was an American recipe I got from the Internet.... I wish you were here also.... Happy Christmas Kathy xxxxxxxx
Kathy Ellen

Christmas duties

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thankfully, I don't have to cook, but I do have to do the dishes. Unfortunately, that is my lot in life it seems. I'm also bringing tons of goodies, beer, wine, soda and pressies. I'm going to take a pic of the box of candy, but don't know if I can post it. I'm still learning how to use my ipad. I love, love, love my ipad. Wish I had bought one long ago. You can do so much with this little miracle and it fits in my bag.
Kathy Ellen

Christmas duties

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1413995 wrote: I've been cooking for 3 days Kathy, now I just need a bigger fridge/freezer.

Incidently, my banana cheesecake was an American recipe I got from the Internet.... I wish you were here also.... Happy Christmas Kathy xxxxxxxx

Oh, I'd adore another freezer. My fridge is so small because my home is tiny. I'll think of you tomorrow Julie...lots and lots of love to you and Peter xxx
Clodhopper

Christmas duties

Post by Clodhopper »

Brazil nuts (shelled) coated, slathered, covered and smothered in chocolate (strong opinions are held as to the superiority of milk as opposed to dark chocolate) with just a slight crispiness to the outer layer when you first bite it.

It's almost impossible to stop eating them. :)

I have also finished glazing the gammon. Seems a tradition we all have in common.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snowfire

Christmas duties

Post by Snowfire »

Clodhopper;1413999 wrote: Brazil nuts (shelled) coated, slathered, covered and smothered in chocolate (strong opinions are held as to the superiority of milk as opposed to dark chocolate) with just a slight crispiness to the outer layer when you first bite it.

I have also finished glazing the gammon. Seems a tradition we all have in common.

Thats very discriptive. I slammed the lid shut after 7, my wifes lips still pursed

My ham joint was succesfully glazed and after resting for as long as I could stand it, I took a slice or two to test. Oooooohhh !

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Christmas duties

Clodhopper;1413999 wrote: Brazil nuts (shelled) coated, slathered, covered and smothered in chocolate (strong opinions are held as to the superiority of milk as opposed to dark chocolate) with just a slight crispiness to the outer layer when you first bite it.

Do you put cloves In It also ? I make a glaze from mustard and honey.... Happy Christmas Clod xxxxxxxx

I'm now sitting on the sofa with a glass of red peeling a mountain of sprouts and swede and parsnips, some of which will go In the bubble and squeek with the gammon and pork when I get home from the races Boxing night.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Christmas duties

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1413987 wrote: I prefer the more refined approach of Michel Roux Jr

His cooking is impeccable and I love his sense of humour but it's still a serious business rather than fun.
Oscar Namechange

Christmas duties

Bryn Mawr;1414003 wrote: His cooking is impeccable and I love his sense of humour but it's still a serious business rather than fun. I don't like Jamie Oliver because, and maybe It's just me, but he tends to pinch Idea's from the greats. I know someone In the Michelin business and he said the same. Also, It's the same old thing... garlic, chilli, lemons and olive oil In everything. I saw him cooking Squid recently and couldn't believe the amount of chilli he threw In. It would have totally stripped the delicate flavour.... I also saw him throw his garlic In to a pan and Immediately burn It.... you never add the garlic first because It burns.... He never seems to wash his hands and he seems to spit all over his food. I hate the bish bosh, pimp It up, Pukka garbage he comes out with but apart from that, I'm sure he's a jolly nice chap.
Kathy Ellen

Christmas duties

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Jaysus...what the hello is a gammon... I'm too lazy to look it up.
Oscar Namechange

Christmas duties

Kathy Ellen;1414006 wrote: Jaysus...what the hello is a gammon... I'm too lazy to look it up.

BBC - Food - Recipes : Honey and marmalade-glazed gammon joint
Snowfire

Christmas duties

Post by Snowfire »

Its a bacon joint Kathy

Attached files

Winston Churchill
Kathy Ellen

Christmas duties

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Snowfire;1414009 wrote: Its a bacon joint Kathy

Oh, that looks delicious !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting...now I'm so hungery!!!!
chonsigirl

Christmas duties

Post by chonsigirl »

Easy Christmas cooking-roast is in the crock pot, for a Mexican meal. (requested by the kids) Shredded beef tacos and burritos with all the home made sides, tamales are already made. :)
Clodhopper

Christmas duties

Post by Clodhopper »

oscar;1414002 wrote: Do you put cloves In It also ? I make a glaze from mustard and honey.... Happy Christmas Clod xxxxxxxx

I'm now sitting on the sofa with a glass of red peeling a mountain of sprouts and swede and parsnips, some of which will go In the bubble and squeek with the gammon and pork when I get home from the races Boxing night.

Cloves in the top fat and honey and mustard for the glaze. :) Happy Christmas oscar. xxx
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “General Chit Chat”