Seaside Heights, NJ roller coast finally being removed from the Atlantic Ocean.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, the police finally allowed people to drive along Route 35 through the wee towns that were destroyed by hurricane Sandy. You were not allowed to get off the road to 'gawk' as some say. Today, I drove up and down Rt. 35 through Lavallette, Ortly Beach, Normandy Beach up to Point Pleasant. This area has been my home for many years now as I live here full time. I've also holidayed here since I was a baby...every summer without fail!

I'm not 'gawking.' I'm mourning for the loss of our beautiful area, looking at the devastation of homes ripped apart and thrown like toys onto the street. I finally had to just pull over when I saw so many home owners just crying along the road looking for their house which is no longer there. I just burst into tears and wished that I could help more. I have worked in the local schools to help give out clothes and food and have also helped clean up homes and streets. But, it's not enough. You can't take away the sorrow and tears sadly.

But, our towns are slowly moving towards normalcy...bit by bit. A lot of the debris is being taken away day by day. They're finally removing the jet star, as we used to call it when we were kids. Now, I think it's called the mouse. It's sad to see the boardwalk all gone. It's good to see it being rebuilt though. The Beachcomber bar on the boardwalk, which was still standing, had a New Year's Eve party from 8 A.M. to 3 P.M. (There's been a curfew. You can only walk around from 8 to 3. Now it's 8 to 10 P.M. This is not my town, but I live close by.

I guess time will heal wounds, hopefully.

Here's an article about the roller coaster...

Seaside Heights roller coaster stranded by Sandy to be removed from ocean | NJ.com
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I'm glad things are improving, Kathy Ellen.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oh, My,

I think I'd cry.

Well, life is evolving - they'll rebuild and you'll be the one saying "I remember when".

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Not to diminish the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy to your hometown, Kathy, but I would like to present these links to other natural disasters in the US and how we survived, rebuilt and flourished again. I'm sure other countries can add similar stories.

History Files - Chicago Fire

Historic Earthquakes

History of the Johnstown Flood
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks Wandrin, Patsy and Diana,

I appreciate your thoughts.

I know that life will go on, and we'll rebuild...or not. I just worry about those who lost their homes and are still displaced after 4 months. I see and hear their pain every day.....every blessed day, and I don't know how they keep their sanity. I was luckily enough to finally go home after 3 months. These people may never go home.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I can't imagine what it feels like to lose my home, let alone losing whole neighborhoods. I'm just glad that you survived and can return home.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Wandrin;1421095 wrote: I can't imagine what it feels like to lose my home, let alone losing whole neighborhoods. I'm just glad that you survived and can return home.

Thanks so much Wandrin for your kind thoughts. I'm a happy camper now that I'm home for sure.

And how are you? Are you still wandering and to where if I may ask. Do you have a blog about your journeys?

Return to “United States”