Disaster Tourism at the Chernobyl Nuclear Accident Site

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I didn't realize Pripyat had been given the all clear for visitation but according to this article it's well on its way to becoming a tourist mecca. There's no doubt it would be interesting but I'm not convinced on the safety of the radiation levels regardless of the information spouted by the tourist agencies. I wonder if they'll ever open it back up to inhabitants again. Would you be interested in visiting there?

Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Pripyat has not been given the all clear by the Ukrainian government nor the Belorussian as far as I know. Last I heard the Ukrainians had taken measures to cut off unauthorized excursions into the area due to the damage that is being done.

Both countries and the scientific world are using the area for a huge lab, they are learning much about disasters, disaster recovery in nature and loads of other things. It's become one huge experiment and in fact there are not only people who live there (have since the disaster) scientists spend large amounts of time there. There will also be found a lot of criminals from various places.

No, I wouldn't want to live there. It's too far from everything now.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Wouldn't want to go there.

There was a bit (60 minutes I think) a while back, and they showed

the amazing proliferation of animals there, and it was funny to see

them running around/through abandoned buildings. All apparently

fine, and reproducing and everything!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

tabby

Post by tabby »

Scrat;1422303 wrote: Pripyat has not been given the all clear by the Ukrainian government nor the Belorussian as far as I know. Last I heard the Ukrainians had taken measures to cut off unauthorized excursions into the area due to the damage that is being done.

Both countries and the scientific world are using the area for a huge lab, they are learning much about disasters, disaster recovery in nature and loads of other things. It's become one huge experiment and in fact there are not only people who live there (have since the disaster) scientists spend large amounts of time there. There will also be found a lot of criminals from various places.

No, I wouldn't want to live there. It's too far from everything now.

Thanks for the clarification! Do you know the average distance circumference wise that was evacuated & condemned? 100 miles? 500? It's hard to imagine having to pack up and leave home for good so abruptly although I know it's always a possibility for any of us for any number of reasons.
tabby

Post by tabby »

valerie;1422304 wrote: Wouldn't want to go there.

I did notice in the article's photos that the vegetation seems lush, healthy and unfazed by the radiation levels. I'm glad the animal population seems to be thriving. It could be an interesting study in how the earth takes back its own after human presence is gone!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I watched an Anthony Bourdain show where they toured the facility and surrounding areas. They were told not to touch any foilage concrete or basically any surface what so ever.

This is the episode, they give a lot of info during their visit.

anthony bourdain.no.reservations. Ukraine - YouTube
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

There are lots of different fauna there. They released some of the wild Asian ponies some years ago and just last year some bison from Canada. The wild pigs are raising havoc in Belarus, they come out of the zone and raid gardens. They can destroy a large garden inside of an hour and there is a program for farmers to kill the pigs and bring them to a state owned processing plant where they will be tested for radiation. Most of the time the meat is consumable, occasionally they find one that has been eating where it should not. Wolves have been a problem too. Most of the radiation is now in the plants, mainly locked up in the trees or deep down in the soil but there are still spots hotter than others.

I read a story in 2004 of a Kiev university group that put a tracking collar on a stray dog they found in Chernobyl. She spent spring and summer in Chernobyl and migrated to Kiev in fall and winter. She raised 3 or 4 litters of pups at Chernobyl. She was about 7 years old when she died of unnatural causes. She was hit by a car.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Here's an interesting article that's recent. My info is dated.

Wildlife in Chernobyl: Debate over mutations and populations of plants and animals in the radioactive fallout exclusion zone. - Slate Magazine
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I was reading about this fairly recently as well... herds of cattle roam free but there's concern about radioactive milk.
tabby

Post by tabby »

The wolves certainly look hale at this point. Love the cub pile!

Radioactive Wolves ~ Gallery | Nature | PBS
tabby

Post by tabby »

Some more interesting photos!

Chernobyl, 27 Years Later
brightlikeme

Post by brightlikeme »

these incidents are sad, Natural Life and Animals have to pay for our Technology
tabby

Post by tabby »

A radiation eating fungus? Who knew?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... yl-fungus/

Return to “Travel Vacation”