Poppy day........

The What and Why of Atheism.
Arena

Poppy day........

Post by Arena »

Dan Snow has officially announced that he is to be a Patron of the UK Armed Forces Humanist Association (UKAFHA). UKAFHA has been campaigning for four years for Humanist representation at the national Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph in recognition of the non-religious serving in the armed forces (currently the second largest group in the armed forces).
Oscar Namechange

Poppy day........

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Do you have a link Arena.?

I'm curious as to why he feels there needs to be such a representation. The laying of the wreaths ie the Poppies, Is to represent the fallen, not any religious sector or creed.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Arena

Poppy day........

Post by Arena »

The reason is that despite being the second largest 'group' in the UK forces, atheists are not represented in the ceremony.

Many, many atheists have given their lives in support of our country and get no representatives at the ceremony.

You will see wreaths being laid by all denominations of beliefs except atheist.

The item is from the Humanist website. I doubt any papers find it newsworthy.
Oscar Namechange

Poppy day........

Arena;1439551 wrote:

The item is from the Humanist website. I doubt any papers find it newsworthy.

Then you haven't looked.

Christian and atheist soldiers both pay the ultimate price - Telegraph

Actually, I'm more Interested now I see the wonderful Joan Bakewell write on the subject.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Arena

Poppy day........

Post by Arena »

oscar;1439553 wrote: Then you haven't looked.

Christian and atheist soldiers both pay the ultimate price - Telegraph

Actually, I'm more Interested now I see the wonderful Joan Bakewell write on the subject.

Kathrine Hepburn

Nigella Lawson

Brad Pitt

Emma Thompson

Terry Wogan

Alan Sugar

Hemingway

Mark Twain

Jane Asher

Some people believe we are a minority group of crackpots, as the brief list above shows, we are from all walks of life.
Arena

Poppy day........

Post by Arena »

BTW

I quote Joan Bakewell's views on the subject:

I write as a non-believing member of the Church of England, and citizen of a largely secular country. The religious curriculum in schools now embraces the need to teach all faiths, and has less time for the detailed study of the Christian narrative. Even so, everyone, of any faith and none, knows that the Jesus story tells of him humbly born, preaching simple virtues, extolling the selfless life of love and service. He also lost his temper with the traders and put down the mighty from their seat. This is not a message whose significance is lost simply because the virgin birth and Christ coming back from the dead are no longer credible. We need an ethic to live by and the Christian message is better than most... indeed has much in common with other faiths, and with its own secular successor, humanism.
Oscar Namechange

Poppy day........

I'm not against the Idea.

We seem to have lost sight of the fact that The Great War and WW11 was not religious wars. And while some think It's commendable to honour every sect, colour and creed, I wish they'd stick to honouring the fallen, whoever, whatever they believed.

If you talk to surviving WW11 vets, they don't give a hoot about the religion. They cry for their fallen comrades, not what they believed In.
Arena

Poppy day........

Post by Arena »

Precisely but then you are a clear thinking woman and not bigotted.

Return to “Godlessness”