Do any of you guys have a memorial that touches you ?

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

TRIGGER WARNING!

The fifth anniversary of the black saturday fires is coming up in Feb but they've started early. The biggest memorial is being unveiled today..........by the kind hearts of those all across the world. I don't think I'll ever be able to go there and see it . Cause I don't think I'd be a pretty sight if I did.

But I don't want this thread to be about the fires as such. I want to know if any of you guys have a particular memorial that maybe sends you a little off kilta? you know? maybe affects you just a little too deeply? and why?

This is the memorial that will be placed in Strathewen. The town lost a quarter of its population. And everything else to boot. I think it's a rather beautiful tree But I don't think I want to see it up close and personal.

This is the tree.

Blacksmiths forge memorial tree to remember Black Saturday tragedy - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This is a video taken by teens on the day and why the tree is being placed in this town. (note there are people in this video that are no longer with us, so if you have any religious or cultural issues don't watch)

Black Saturday Strathewen - YouTube

So what's your memorial?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Can't recall if I've ever intentionally visited any memorial (except for one) but there is no doubt that I can be moved to TEARS by some.

1. the murder of Olaf Palme

2. the murder of Martin Luther King.

3. the death of Alexander Dubcek.

4. the death of Nelson Mandela.

5. the tsunami that hit Thailand killing 570 of my countrymen.

6. I cried at Auschwitz even before I entered those famous gates.

Then there's ANGER.

I was in Albania last summer, aimlessly strolling round Tirana. Eventually I decided it was time I find out where exactly I was so that I could make a plan. I look up at the name of the road that I happened to be on ..... "George W. Bush Road"! I was in a foul mood the rest of that day.

Return to “Members' News”