Man about the house?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Or is it really the Women that do all the 'Work in the Home', mend the tv, fix the plug, paint the home, mow the lawn ect?
abbey

Man about the house?

Post by abbey »

I live alone so i do all my own repairs etc, i hope as good as any man.

There are some things of course that i do need a man about the house for.;)
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

I happen to know that most Women in Ireland do all the work about the house.Except ours of course.:)
minks

Man about the house?

Post by minks »

capt_buzzard wrote: I happen to know that most Women in Ireland do all the work about the house.Except ours of course.:)

Well here in the Americas you know us woman just "won't" take out the garbage so we do leave your job for you men.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

minks wrote: Well here in the Americas you know us woman just "won't" take out the garbage so we do leave your job for you men.Oh Bin Liners:wah:
minks

Man about the house?

Post by minks »

is that any relation to obi bin laden??

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

minks wrote: is that any relation to obi bin laden??Yeah Right on. He works for Belfast City Council
minks

Man about the house?

Post by minks »

capt_buzzard wrote: Yeah Right on. He works for Belfast City Council

Thankless job but someone has to do it right?

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

minks wrote: Thankless job but someone has to do it right?I'll say one thing about it. Its an honest days work. These guys are always Happy,singing as they go about their work.
minks

Man about the house?

Post by minks »

capt_buzzard wrote: I'll say one thing about it. Its an honest days work. These guys are always Happy,singing as they go about their work.

My ex mother in law had a theory, if she left a beer for the trash man he would haul away almost anything.

― Mae West
john8pies

Man about the house?

Post by john8pies »

I do it all, and the cooking .
minks

Man about the house?

Post by minks »

john8pies wrote: I do it all, and the cooking .

Bless you J8P

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

john8pies wrote: I do it all, and the cooking .Any good recipes to pass on John?
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

My brothers taught me to do home repairs. They said if I didn't want to remarry I'd better learn how or I'd spend a fortune in repair men taking advantage of me - financially. I have a love in my life now but we share all the house chores from cooking to yard work. Ain't life grand when you find someone in your generation with whom to make a life.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
RedSoxFan

Man about the house?

Post by RedSoxFan »

minks wrote: My ex mother in law had a theory, if she left a beer for the trash man he would haul away almost anything.

That works for me!!!
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
RedSoxFan

Man about the house?

Post by RedSoxFan »

It's split pretty much down the middle for me. I do most of the yard works and things outside. She does most of the cooking and cleaning inside but I help where she wants me to. And she WILL NEVER TOUCH MY GRILL.
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

RedSoxFan wrote: It's split pretty much down the middle for me. I do most of the yard works and things outside. She does most of the cooking and cleaning inside but I help where she wants me to. And she WILL NEVER TOUCH MY GRILL.

I don't touch the grill either - anymore.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

nvalleyvee wrote: My brothers taught me to do *****repairs. They said if I didn't want to remarry I'd better learn how or I'd spend a fortune in repair men taking advantage of me - financially. I have a love in my life now but we share all the house chores from cooking to yard work. Ain't life grand when you find someone in your generation with whom to make a life.Lovely nvalleyvee
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

flopstock wrote: yeah, and when they don't act like they're doing you a favor by doing their share.

Not a problem - it just makes time to talk when you do things together. OMG - yes people still know how to talk. :wah:
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

nvalleyvee wrote: Not a problem - it just makes time to talk when you do things together. OMG - yes people still know how to talk. :wah:Talk? Don't you know now that Only the Irish know how to talk:D
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

capt_buzzard wrote: Talk? Don't you know now that Only the Irish know how to talk:D

Yeah right Buzz. Luv ya anyway.
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

It used to be Englishmen that were good about the home. Now its the Germans who are the chart toppers in this area.
Peg

Man about the house?

Post by Peg »

My husband does most of the cooking since it's easier because of our work schedules. Things used to be about 50/50 around here, but lately it's been more 85/15. Guess who is stuck with the 85%. :-3 I used to do all the lawn work until the arthritis wouldn't allow it, but I still do most of the painting, the other half does any repairs I can't do. I can do most things that need done, but will not, in no way, do electrical repairs other than changing a light bulb. Electricity scares me for some reason.
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Peg wrote: My husband does most of the cooking since it's easier because of our work schedules. Things used to be about 50/50 around here, but lately it's been more 85/15. Guess who is stuck with the 85%. :-3 I used to do all the lawn work until the arthritis wouldn't allow it, but I still do most of the painting, the other half does any repairs I can't do. I can do most things that need done, but will not, in no way, do electrical repairs other than changing a light bulb. Electricity scares me for some reason.WOW. You good
Peg

Man about the house?

Post by Peg »

The way I see it, he may not always be here and I don't want to have to depend on anyone. If I don't know how to fix something, I help him so I can learn to do it. I know a guy that, honest to God, did not know how to fix a bologna sandwich or write a check when his wife died. :eek:
koan

Man about the house?

Post by koan »

When I sold my house there wasn't a single thing in it that hadn't been renovated, repaired and/or painted. Funniest job: I was trying to replace the toilet seat and one of the bolts was rusted in. I got so frustrated that I grabbed my hammer and hit the toilet. It cracked, of course. I happily went to the Home Depot and replaced the whole toilet. My then husband helped me carry it to the bathroom and put it on the O ring but that was about all the help I ever got.

I talked a friend into helping me demo some stuff outside and, with hammer poised in air, she turned to me and asked "Are you sure we ought to be doing this?". I looked at her, brow raised, and said "Obviously you've never whacked anything with a hammer. Everytime you get a chance...take it." :wah:
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

Peg wrote: My husband does most of the cooking since it's easier because of our work schedules. Things used to be about 50/50 around here, but lately it's been more 85/15. Guess who is stuck with the 85%. :-3 I used to do all the lawn work until the arthritis wouldn't allow it, but I still do most of the painting, the other half does any repairs I can't do. I can do most things that need done, but will not, in no way, do electrical repairs other than changing a light bulb. Electricity scares me for some reason.

Amen woman - scares the heck out of me too.
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

I had aluminum wiring replaced in a house 20 years ago and the electrician - with elbow legth gloves on - was blown 20 feet off the ladder - scared the **** out of me. Been scared ever since.
A Karenina

Man about the house?

Post by A Karenina »

Koan! :wah: I am totally taking you up on the hammer thing!

My man does most of the work. Laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, errands, and home repairs. He rocks!! I think he does more cleaning than I do, but we seem to complement each other very well in this area. He likes to clean all the things I hate, and vice-versa. I will start sewing for him off and on, and of course I've "saved" his houseplants. :D

He helps me so much, and allows me to work a lot and go to school full-time on top of it.

We'll probably equalize things a bit more when our schedules are more equal. But he loves being domestic, and can't wait until he retires so he can be a full-time House-Husband...a job he'll excel at!
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

koan wrote: When I sold my house there wasn't a single thing in it that hadn't been renovated, repaired and/or painted. Funniest job: I was trying to replace the toilet seat and one of the bolts was rusted in. I got so frustrated that I grabbed my hammer and hit the toilet. It cracked, of course. I happily went to the *****Depot and replaced the whole toilet. My then husband helped me carry it to the bathroom and put it on the O ring but that was about all the help I ever got.

I talked a friend into helping me demo some stuff outside and, with hammer poised in air, she turned to me and asked "Are you sure we ought to be doing this?". I looked at her, brow raised, and said "Obviously you've never whacked anything with a hammer. Everytime you get a chance...take it." :wah: Have Loo wil travel :wah:
koan

Man about the house?

Post by koan »

Of electrical adventures:

I was replacing light fixtures in the bedroom and had the power switched off. It was old wiring and difficult to connect. When I flicked the power back on...FOURTH OF JULY!!! Sparks, zaps, zings. General joy! I flicked it off. Then, suddenly void of excitement, decided to check it out again. Flick. Old sparky lives again. Coooool.

Then I decided I'd better get my neighbour to check it out before I :confused: blew my house up or something.
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Some women even can fix the car and truck. :driving:
Jives

Man about the house?

Post by Jives »

capt_buzzard wrote: Or is it really the Women that do all the 'Work in the Home', mend the tv, fix the plug, paint the home, mow the lawn ect?

Naah....I'm the fixer at my house. This Summer so far, I've cleared the brush from the slope, built a tree swing for the grandchildren, installed a new stove, put a digital thermostat on the swamp cooler, rebuilt my wife's starter for her car, installed new pads in the AC, and mowed the lawn 6 times.

During the regular year, I work day school, night school and work lunch duty duing my lunch hour. Three jobs!

But I do it all for the Love of my Life:

Attached files
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

Jives wrote: Naah....I'm the fixer at my house. This Summer so far, I've cleared the brush from the slope, built a tree swing for the grandchildren, installed a new stove, put a digital thermostat on the swamp cooler, rebuilt my wife's starter for her car, installed new pads in the AC, and mowed the lawn 6 times.

During the regular year, I work day school, night school and work lunch duty duing my lunch hour. Three jobs!

But I do it all for the Love of my Life:WOW Jives. Lovely.
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

We spent 3 hours this morning planting more of the front 40. We do this together. And now we are cooking together - sort of - he BBQing and I made rice and dessert.
capt_buzzard

Man about the house?

Post by capt_buzzard »

nvalleyvee wrote: We spent 3 hours this morning planting more of the front 40. We do this together. And now we are cooking together - sort of - he BBQing and I made rice and dessert.Yes, doing it together can be nice:)
cars

Man about the house?

Post by cars »

In our household, we usually split the workload 50/50, depending the the chore.

My wife to my dismay, usually thinks of an "easier" way to "fix" the project I'm working on! She rubs it in, & says that I never take the easy way to do something, always the complicated way. Well, that's an engineer for you, always doing it the complicated way, "but it's strong like bull"! :wah:
Cars :)
Lon

Man about the house?

Post by Lon »

capt_buzzard wrote: Or is it really the Women that do all the 'Work in the Home', mend the tv, fix the plug, paint the home, mow the lawn ect?
I grocery shop, do most of the cooking, vacum floors, dust, polish mirrors, clean toilets shower & tub and handle all finances. She weeds, gardens, keeps the appointments, changes the air and heating filters, arranges for travel, sends the birthday and other cards to friends, family and relatives. We have someione else do the windows periodically.
nvalleyvee

Man about the house?

Post by nvalleyvee »

capt_buzzard wrote: Yes, doing it together can be nice:)

When you do the chores together - you share the pleasure together. :sneaky:
BTS

Man about the house?

Post by BTS »

Lon wrote: I grocery shop, do most of the cooking, vacum floors, dust, polish mirrors, clean toilets shower & tub and handle all finances. She weeds, gardens, keeps the appointments, changes the air and heating filters, arranges for travel, sends the birthday and other cards to friends, family and relatives. We have someione else do the windows periodically.

OOOHHH MR HORCHACK.................I do windows...............

All kidding aside......

As my significant other says

"When you do the chores together - you share the pleasure together. :sneaky:"

It does have it's benefits in deed.......... I would say it is almost like Foreplay if you do it right.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
lady cop

Man about the house?

Post by lady cop »

i am so accustomed to doing everything myself that it was very strange for me to watch Bothwell iron my shirt and also cook a gourmet dinner.....i would like to get used to that! i love it when both people are competent and willing. nice.

Return to “Home Management”