Every Fifteen Minutes...

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Saint_

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by Saint_ »

Every fifteen minutes a person dies from a drunk driving accident in America. At our school, they have a program called "Every Fifteen Minutes" where they stage a drunk driving accident with the students in parking lot. I has a wrecked car, helicopters, police cars, "dead" student volunteers and the whole thing. Then, every fifteen minutes all day, the grim reaper comes to the classes and a student "dies" in a drunk driving accident.

The "dead" students are taken to a location for the night, where they get training on the dangers of drunk driving, meanwhile, none of their friends can contact them because their cellphones are taken away.

The next day, there is a memorial service for the students, including testimony from parents of victims, the police, and the students read a "last letter" to their friends and parents.

Now...obviously, this is very sensitive and emotional. When I was asked to do a video for this, I had some reservations. I have literally done thousands of school videos (In addition to math, I was the TV101 elective teacher for eight years and we produced a video every day) but all of those videos were pretty upbeat and happy.

This is the first video I've ever done that is both sad and scary at the same time. I'm a little concerned, since that is much more difficult. I could easily go wrong and be insensitive, or worse yet, funny.

So take a look at it and give me some constructive feedback if you would please.

Bruv

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by Bruv »

Constructive feedback ?

I thought the personal testimonies were the most powerful part.

Maybe intercutting with crash scenes and partying people might strengthen the message.

But otherwise no complaint of insensitivity and it wasn't funny, so a job well done.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Saint_

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by Saint_ »

Thanks, and I really wanted the crash footage, but this year...it snowed on that day and we had to cancel that part. I'm going to add it in next year.
Patsy Warnick

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Good job

Great message

Good job Saint..!

Patsy
fuzzywuzzy

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

They've stopped the full graphic content here these days in the ads. It's more about penalties and so forth. The alcohol message seemed to of got through so it's about texting and speeding now. Every 15 mins? Really? What's gone wrong there?

There's a softly softly approach with using real people instead of actors now. Hence this one

But that said I still remember the first TAC ad when I was a teenager. I think the shock affect has worn off though. Two of my sons have been in serious car accidents one of them twice. It's not a good feeling. And I've known too many that have died.

You couldn't show that video at our local school but I liked the idea of taking the kids out by 'Death'.
fuzzywuzzy

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

oh and speak of the devil........hows this for a conversation that just happened?

*ask when you think about it ..but anyway eh?

*either lunch or tea is cool no bother

49 minutes ago

*Hey brett don't bother coming tomoz ...all's good I'd prefer you recover from a night of drinking before you go back to melbourne

No I'm coming

*You realise you'll still have alcohol in your system

*YOu WILL read

If I get pulled over I know

There ins and out of yaz

*NO !!!! you just don't do it !!!!!!

*come down next weeek

*I'll be here and we can have a bit of a party and you can sleep over

*I want you of full mind when you take Zoe's grandma back

Hmmphhh

Fine

*it's not fine rest before you go to melbourne

*and drink lots of milk

*thanks boy better safe than sorry

Even tho I do it every time haha

*you'll get caught and then your life will turn to ****

*I don't want to hear that

Oh the joys of parenting older teenage boys
Bruv

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by Bruv »

I have given this some more thought, and put forward some ideas for the next video, or this one if it's not finished yet.

Silence can be a powerful tool on a soundtrack, punctuate the whole video with silent images of the student 'victims' faces that fade to a blank screen.

Alternatively sequences peppered through out video, with a slow metronome tick tock and images but that on each second or third tock image fades away.

I have more............................

Stage some happy group photographs, classroom groups, back of a pickup group, sports team groups, followed by the same image but with a bar or cross over the eyes of the victim,or an empty space or a replacement 'blank' person created by wearing white clothes and balaclava type hood, depending what is technically possible.

I may be back with more, just yell for me to stop.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Saint_

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by Saint_ »

Bruv;1453707 wrote: I have given this some more thought, and put forward some ideas for the next video, or this one if it's not finished yet.

Silence can be a powerful tool on a soundtrack, punctuate the whole video with silent images of the student 'victims' faces that fade to a blank screen.

Alternatively sequences peppered through out video, with a slow metronome tick tock and images but that on each second or third tock image fades away.

I have more............................

Stage some happy group photographs, classroom groups, back of a pickup group, sports team groups, followed by the same image but with a bar or cross over the eyes of the victim,or an empty space or a replacement 'blank' person created by wearing white clothes and balaclava type hood, depending what is technically possible.

I may be back with more, just yell for me to stop.

Awesome ideas, Bruv! I never thought once about the "silence" trick, but I'm definitely going to use that and some of the others next year. Hopefully, we'll have nice weather and I can get the crash footage.
fuzzywuzzy

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Saint do you make sure first that these kids haven't experienced it in their own families first?
Saint_

Every Fifteen Minutes...

Post by Saint_ »

You bet. There is an extensive pre-event vetting process that involves all of the family, friends, and the student. It goes on for months before that actual event.

Return to “Photography More”