Kindness Kills

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

There was an interesting item on the Local News this morning about how the Southampton Council are about to clamp down on Street Beggars (many of which aren't even really homeless) with a Poster Campaign with the slogan "Kindness Kills" urging people not to give to beggars, but if they want to give to text a donation the the "Kindness Kills" line, which is to be set up, which will all go towards groups that work towards getting the genuine needy out of the circle.

Begging, itself, is a criminal offence, and as we all know, whenever you see the beggars (with their compulsory mangy mutt), they nearly always have plenty of booze & cigarettes, yet they try the lines such as "Any spare change for a cup of tea?" - yeah, right.

Personally I like the idea. If someone feels morally obliged to give something to help those who are not so fortunate (and there are plenty of them - only most tend to be out of the public eye), then they can do so, secure in the knowledge that their donations will be targeted legitimately & locally.
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

There should be no need for anybody to beg to eat in the UK these days.

Many that do beg have either drug or some other mental health issues, the problem is you cannot help them by throwing money at them.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
theia

Kindness Kills

Post by theia »

Whether or not I give to someone who is begging in the street depends entirely on my circumstances and my attitude at the time, as I know nothing about that person's life and their reasons for asking for money.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

Post by Oscar Namechange »

FourPart;1460909 wrote:

Begging, itself, is a criminal offence, and as we all know, whenever you see the beggars (with their compulsory mangy mutt), they nearly always have plenty of booze & cigarettes, yet they try the lines such as "Any spare change for a cup of tea?" - yeah, right.

. That's not strictly true.

It was up until last year.

The crime of begging came under the Vagrancy Act 1824 and was classified as ' Being an Incorrigible rogue '. That Act was repealed last year and It's no longer a criminal offence to sleep rough or beg. Although police can move them on and even arrest should they be harassing the public under a public order offence.

Of course us cynics still believe the Act was repealed last year as a result of drastic cuts In the police force and the Influx of arriving Romanians and Bulgarians. The two seem hardly a mere co-Incidence.

Having said that, I do believe most beggars are genuine and I do give when I come across them. Even If they have a room In a hostel, life Is still hard for them.

There but for the grace of god, go I
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Kindness Kills

Post by LarsMac »

Oscar Namechange;1460917 wrote:

There but for the grace of god, go I

Exactly.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1460917 wrote: That's not strictly true.

It was up until last year.

The crime of begging came under the Vagrancy Act 1824 and was classified as ' Being an Incorrigible rogue '. That Act was repealed last year and It's no longer a criminal offence to sleep rough or beg. Although police can move them on and even arrest should they be harassing the public under a public order offence.

Not according to this:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q349.htm

(Copyright 2014)
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

FourPart;1460931 wrote: Not according to this:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q349.htm

(Copyright 2014) You're absolutely right.... I was thinking of Vagrancy ... It Is the sleeping rough that has been repealed...

My apologies... I blame sunstroke. :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

No problems. It's difficult to keep track of all the old laws that keep getting amended, added & repealed.

As I mentioned elsewhere in these forums, I've been on the street myself, but like myself, most of the others were too proud to go begging & a lot of those who do beg aren't even homeless & just either taking advantage of the kindness of others, or intimidating them by hanging out near cashpoints.

There is a real problem with homelessness, but there are support services to help with getting out of the trap. They helped me get my first digs. That was Council run, but there are others that are Charity based, and these are the ones that this new "Kindness Kills" Text Donation seeks to support.

To those who would like to help with directly with cash, I would urge that they buy a copy of Big Issue. Vendors have to be registered as homeless (or newly housed through the system) & not in receipt of benefits to qualify, so they're the ones that truly deserve it. They get half of what they sell, which are a set price, not specified by themselves. Also, Big Issue is a very good read.
High Threshold

Kindness Kills

Post by High Threshold »

Not too many years ago you wouldn't have been able to find a beggar ANYWHERE or ANYTIME in Sweden. Then Romania joined the EU. That's when we got a trickle of beggars into our largest cities. If you don't know Sweden well, then you cannot appreciate the utter shock we experienced. Anyone who's a legal resident of Sweden has a right to social services, and believe me the provisions they offer is a good lump of change!

A few years ago the state proclaimed that begging is illegal and anyone engaging in it would be removed from the street. And then? And then? Where were these police who were tasked to do the job?

Fast-forward a bit and the do-gooders didn't want the wonderful, liberal-oriented, non-racist nation of Sweden to ”look bad” in the eyes of the international scene, and (as is our self-determined destiny) strove to “lead the way” towards humanitarian justice! So it was clandestinely decided that begging would not be a criminal offence after all. Slowly, slowly the number of Romanian beggars began to rise. THEN the Romanian ambassador made a statement to the effect that our liberal view wouldn't actually be helping anyone and that we ought to repatriate the beggars for everyone's best interest. WELL! That tore it! Our politicians (already straining themselves to find a “cause” to raise themselves above the crowd) declared WELCOME ALL BEGGARS TO SWEDEN! And so they arrived (overnight, it seems) by the thousands! Today we have at least 6 to each “block”. One on each corner and and an additional one mid-way. God! They must think of us as the biggest fools on the face of this earth!
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

P.C. can be so infuriating. It goes against all the laws of Common Sense for the sake of assuaging the vocal minority (who also usually tend to be NIMBYs).
High Threshold

Kindness Kills

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1460956 wrote: ... for the sake of assuaging the vocal minority (who also usually tend to be NIMBYs).

Yes. Ain't that the paradox. It's been reported that Swedish buskers have been intimidated beyond endurance to “move along” so that the risk of physical confrontation has made the city streets void of “Swedish” talent.
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

I reckon that (true) Buskers should be encouraged. At least they are doing something for their money. Plus, as you say, a lot of today's leading musicians started out as Buskers.
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

High Threshold;1460954 wrote: Not too many years ago you wouldn't have been able to find a beggar ANYWHERE or ANYTIME in Sweden. Then Romania joined the EU. That's when we got a trickle of beggars into our largest cities. If you don't know Sweden well, then you cannot appreciate the utter shock we experienced. Anyone who's a legal resident of Sweden has a right to social services, and believe me the provisions they offer is a good lump of change!

A few years ago the state proclaimed that begging is illegal and anyone engaging in it would be removed from the street. And then? And then? Where were these police who were tasked to do the job?

Fast-forward a bit and the do-gooders didn't want the wonderful, liberal-oriented, non-racist nation of Sweden to ”look bad” in the eyes of the international scene, and (as is our self-determined destiny) strove to “lead the way” towards humanitarian justice! So it was clandestinely decided that begging would not be a criminal offence after all. Slowly, slowly the number of Romanian beggars began to rise. THEN the Romanian ambassador made a statement to the effect that our liberal view wouldn't actually be helping anyone and that we ought to repatriate the beggars for everyone's best interest. WELL! That tore it! Our politicians (already straining themselves to find a “cause” to raise themselves above the crowd) declared WELCOME ALL BEGGARS TO SWEDEN! And so they arrived (overnight, it seems) by the thousands! Today we have at least 6 to each “block”. One on each corner and and an additional one mid-way. God! They must think of us as the biggest fools on the face of this earth!

This Is exactly why this Idea of a Multi-culteral Eutopia Is nothing more than a socially engineered experiment that has no precedent and was doomed to fail.

Some politicians believe riots are Imminent In Sheffield between Roma and local Muslims.

BBC News - David Blunkett riot fear over Roma migrant tensions

Yet we are ruled by the EU who dictates how many Immigrants we should take.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Immigration per say when It does Indeed enrich a countries work force but eg: There Is a world of difference between London having a China Town and London being Chinese.

I spent 3 days In London very recently on my Halal meat campaign and have to say I was shocked at the amount of Roma begging on the streets. We are regular visitors to London as It's my husbands birth place and we have family there. Now, I'm no shrinking violet and quite capable of standing my ground but the constant badgering did make one feel uncomfortable. It's true that they do seem to congregate around cash point machines.

I give to beggers In the street especially those with dogs and I tend to be more generous with young people but I will not give to Roma beggars. For me and as this article points out, It's a lifestyle choice and not dire need. The problem Is, Romania being one of the poorest nations In the EU, many coming to the UK just don't know any other life than living off the land and begging. We do have a dire shortage of social housing so I understand why so many are sleeping rough but they are still entitled to welfare to feed themselves.

How we are powerless to stop the 'carousel of career beggars’ - Telegraph
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

This documentary is a bit of an eye opener.

It's a very balanced view from both sides of the fence.

Decide for yourself:

Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

I think I may be turning racist.

But first some questions, how can these impoverished Roma afford to travel to the UK and many other European cities ?

Is the begging a choice, due to high returns? Or is it a cover for criminal activity, because apparently they are the most numerous and professional 'dippers' on the London tube, and crowd surfing in shopping streets, plus shop lifting thrown in. They send them out young, knowing the authorities can only caution and move them on.

I don't think it is a case of intolerance or prejudice, as with our own Gypsies the reputation is earned.
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1460964 wrote: I don't think it is a case of intolerance or prejudice, as with our own Gypsies the reputation is earned.
Although slightly of topic, I think it's worthy of note that true Gypsies / Romanies are a proud, dying culture. However, because they, too, are Nomadic, they get branded with the bad reputation that Travelers have earned.

It may be just a name, but many people don't even realise there is a difference.
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

Bruv;1460964 wrote:

I don't think it is a case of intolerance or prejudice, as with our own Gypsies the reputation is earned. Why ?
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1460965 wrote: Although slightly of topic, I think it's worthy of note that true Gypsies / Romanies are a proud, dying culture. However, because they, too, are Nomadic, they get branded with the bad reputation that Travelers have earned.

It may be just a name, but many people don't even realise there is a difference.

Again most people, including myself, never come into contact with the real proud Gypsies, only the problematic travellers.
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Namechange;1460968 wrote: Why ?

Never had your local park invaded by travellers,setting up home?

Never had your garden encroached upon by travellers 'Helping' to clear away an old bedstead, wheelbarrow, bike frame........or lawn mower?
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

Bruv;1460970 wrote: Never had your local park invaded by travellers,setting up home?

Never had your garden encroached upon by travellers 'Helping' to clear away an old bedstead, wheelbarrow, bike frame........or lawn mower?

Yeah

AND ????
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

Bruv;1460964 wrote:

I don't think it is a case of intolerance or prejudice, as with our own Gypsies the reputation is earned.

Oscar Namechange;1460968 wrote: Why ?

Bruv;1460970 wrote: Never had your local park invaded by travellers,setting up home?

Oscar Namechange;1460972 wrote: Yeah

AND ????

I think the best reply would be.......

Whatever !!
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

Bruv;1460973 wrote: I think the best reply would be.......

Whatever !!

Do you actually know any Traveler communities or do you just observe from a distance with a haughty disdain from you surburban semi ?
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Namechange;1460975 wrote: Do you actually know any Traveler communities or do you just observe from a distance with a haughty disdain from you surburban semi ?

I learn everything about life on here......from you.

My first born son is still married to the traveller girl he married 30 odd years ago.

Her parents are very very nice people.......although her brother is away on a five stretch at the moment.

I could get you a good deal on a fighting cock if your interested.
High Threshold

Kindness Kills

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1460959 wrote: I reckon that (true) Buskers should be encouraged. At least they are doing something for their money. Plus, as you say, a lot of today's leading musicians started out as Buskers.

Yes, but the main point is that these Romanian beggars' bosses are threatening Swedish street talent and claiming "our" streets to be their own domain. It's a sort of gypsie mafia ruling the streets of Sweden.
High Threshold

Kindness Kills

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Namechange;1460960 wrote: This Is exactly why this Idea of a Multi-culteral Eutopia Is nothing more than a socially engineered experiment that has no precedent and was doomed to fail.

I agree with this. However, you say "was doomed to fail"- but quite frankly Sweden is still sleeping while thousands more arrive with the same M.O.
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

High Threshold;1460980 wrote: I agree with this. However, you say "was doomed to fail"- but quite frankly Sweden is still sleeping while thousands more arrive with the same M.O.

I don't blame the Immigrants themselves. I blame the moron politicians who believed In mass Immigration for cheap workforce and votes. I blame the Eurocrats and the morons who got us Into the EU In the first place so we are under directives of numbers.

I blame moronic loony lefties who believe you can take cultures and religions diametrically oppossed to ours and expect Eutpoia. The unrest In Sheffield Is an example of how the Far Right nor even the British doesn't even have to be In the mix for tensions to thrive and spill over. I bet the loony left are wringing thier hands over that one wondering who the heck they can lay the blame on without an English man nor Nick Griffin In sight.

Romania Is one of the poorest nations In the EU. Most eke out a living by living off the land and begging but hey, I know what... we'll not only take them but we'll take thousands of them. Now, oh look, they're sleeping rough and begging In the streets oh tut tut tut.

What did they think they were going to do? Go Into the banking and high finance Industry?
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

I could get them to throw some spurs in with the fighting cock................if your interested.
FourPart

Kindness Kills

Post by FourPart »

A typical hourly rate in Romania would average at about 50p (at a guess).

Minimum Wage here is something like £6.50.

You have no skills you can use in this modern techno world, but you can work for a fortune in manual labour, but still (less than) Minimum Wage, or you can just sit around & look like a desperate derelict & get something like £10 (or more) an hour just thrown at you (if you have a cute enough looking doggy).

Which would you think was the logical choice?
AnneBoleyn

Kindness Kills

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oscar Namechange;1460988 wrote: I don't blame the Immigrants themselves. I blame the moron politicians who believed In mass Immigration for cheap workforce and votes. I blame the Eurocrats and the morons who got us Into the EU In the first place so we are under directives of numbers.

I blame moronic loony lefties who believe you can take cultures and religions diametrically oppossed to ours and expect Eutpoia. The unrest In Sheffield Is an example of how the Far Right nor even the British doesn't even have to be In the mix for tensions to thrive and spill over. I bet the loony left are wringing thier hands over that one wondering who the heck they can lay the blame on without an English man nor Nick Griffin In sight.

Romania Is one of the poorest nations In the EU. Most eke out a living by living off the land and begging but hey, I know what... we'll not only take them but we'll take thousands of them. Now, oh look, they're sleeping rough and begging In the streets oh tut tut tut.

What did they think they were going to do? Go Into the banking and high finance Industry?

Don't faint (not that I think you actually would), but basically I can agree with what you say, not necessarily how you say it, but I can understand & sympathize with your assessment here. People are basically better off, IMO, in being helped in the land they live, but their own government's corruption ends up with the money given that was meant to help the citizens. So as people in need, if they can leave, they do.
High Threshold

Kindness Kills

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Namechange;1460988 wrote: I don't blame the Immigrants themselves. I blame the moron politicians who believed In mass Immigration for cheap workforce and votes. I blame the Eurocrats and the morons who got us Into the EU In the first place so we are under directives of numbers.

I feel we're speaking at cross purposes on this subject. Possibly the situation is not the same in the UK as it is in Sweden.

I wouldn't call our hoards of them "immigrants". They're here, they're there, and then they're somewhere else. My limited observation leads me to believe that they have no idea where they are anyway. I was waiting for a bus the other week. In a parking lot behind me was a French-registered automobile. In it sat 5 people. Before my bus arrived the doors opened and out stepped 3 gypsies. They looked dazed. The car drove off with the remaining pair inside and they were gone. These 3 looked like they just stepped off of a space-craft onto some other world, in another dimension. They mumbled to themselves for a minute, pointing here and there trying to get their bearings, and then they separated ... one to go sit outside the entrance to the food shop, the second to do the same in front of the hole-in-the-wall, and the third I know not where.

Another time (again waiting for the number 7 bus) I saw a gypsy man walk up to a gypsy woman who'd been begging in front of the bank. He thumbed randomly through a binder filled with photos of children, chose one, pulled it out and handed to the woman. He then walked further on to the next beggar and did the same.

On two other occasions I saw several of them (towards the end of the day) converge to a waiting automobile, crawl in and drive away.

"Immigrants"? I don't think so.
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Namechange;1460975 wrote: Do you actually know any Traveler communities or do you just observe from a distance with a haughty disdain from you surburban semi ?

OH sorry I forgot to mention the father of two of my other grandchildren, he is of traveller stock too, he has since 'came out' and married a hairdresser from Essex...........you couldn't make it up could you ?

Suspect I could get your hair done, a cock, and a lurcher......... all for a good price.
Chloe_88

Kindness Kills

Post by Chloe_88 »

about 2 years ago when my mum was travelling back from the UK to the Netherlands, she was about to get on the train (in the UK) when a homeless man asked her for some spare change.

She didn't give him any money but offered him her box of sandwiches. He was overjoyed.

Other people came up to her and called her a mad woman for giving a homeless man a sandwich... :-2

I don't give money but i'll buy a homeless person a cuppa or a sandwich.
Oscar Namechange

Kindness Kills

Chloe_88;1461043 wrote: about 2 years ago when my mum was travelling back from the UK to the Netherlands, she was about to get on the train (in the UK) when a homeless man asked her for some spare change.

She didn't give him any money but offered him her box of sandwiches. He was overjoyed.

Other people came up to her and called her a mad woman for giving a homeless man a sandwich... :-2

I don't give money but i'll buy a homeless person a cuppa or a sandwich.

There's a real disheveled old chap loiters around Sainsbury or he did. One day on leaving the store I handed him all my loose change and a security guard came rushing over to berate me. So I told him to **** off and get a life. He argued that I shouldn't encourage him because quote " he'll only spend It " so I said obviously logic wasn't one of the qualifications when he applied for the job.

It was one day when my car was off the road and I had no choice but to take public transport but as I was waiting for the bus, I saw him tucking Into a sandwich and that made my day.

Haven't seen him for months... the bustards must have moved him on.
High Threshold

Kindness Kills

Post by High Threshold »

Chloe_88;1461043 wrote: about 2 years ago when my mum was travelling back from the UK to the Netherlands, she was about to get on the train (in the UK) when a homeless man asked her for some spare change.

Your mother "saved his life" so to speak, but the community scolded her for it. That is one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.

Oscar Namechange;1461045 wrote: There's a real disheveled old chap loiters around Sainsbury or he did. One day on leaving the store I handed him all my loose change and a security guard came rushing over to berate me. ..... He argued that I shouldn't encourage him because quote " he'll only spend It " .....

Really? That is a quote? "He'll only spend it"? Bloody hell! He'll spend it! Can you imagine that!!! No one, but a ne'er-do-well, would ever consider spending it!
AnneBoleyn

Kindness Kills

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Really? That is a quote? "He'll only spend it"? Bloody hell! He'll spend it! Can you imagine that!!! No one, but a ne'er-do-well, would ever consider spending it!

You think what was meant was he'll only spend it on booze or dope?
Bruv

Kindness Kills

Post by Bruv »

The UK is not some third world country that allows it's citizens to starve, a welfare system was set up long ago to allieviate rickets and scurvey and hunger.

Anybody 'on the streets' need only be there temporarily, if they are genuinely homeless with no other issues to cloud the ability to function to a minimal level in todays world.

There might be various mental health problems or addictions that make them unsuitable for the underfunded and over burdened system to cope with.

The very best advice from people like John Bird founder of The Big Issue is not to directly fund down and outs, and that is good enough for me.
High Threshold

Kindness Kills

Post by High Threshold »

AnneBoleyn;1461078 wrote: Really? That is a quote? "He'll only spend it"? Bloody hell! He'll spend it! Can you imagine that!!! No one, but a ne'er-do-well, would ever consider spending it!

You think what was meant was he'll only spend it on booze or dope?

Probably. But it reminds me of a scene in the film "Shirley Valentine". The teacher didn't like her, so when Shirley answered a question correctly (that absolutely no other child could get right) the teacher waved her off saying, "Oh! Someone must have told you!" Shirley (now gone from pride to devastation) thought, "How could anyone have known the answer if they'd never been told?"

"He'll only spend it" huh? :thinking:

Return to “General Chit Chat”