Disabled access into shops, have you had a problem?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hi I'm disabled but my friend is in a wheelchair. One afternoon she went to a Robert Dyas to get some double sided tape and was met with her first restriction, a large strep into the building. Also she was told the adhesive dept was upstairs but there was no lift, she managed to get some attention by asking another customer to get an assistant, but found it rather frustrating in the least.

Any members on here who are disabled had the same problem please? It would be interesting to find out. Thanks.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

My mate, Ebe, is disabled with polio & relies on his electric wheelchair. I've allso had a great deal of experience of working with the disabled, so I'm probably a little more aware of the finer points of things than others with less experience.

I recently made a report to the council about a section of road outside the central DWP in town where there are Disabled Parking Bays - but no kerb ramps until the next road junction, quite a distance away, relatively speaking. You would thank that anyone with a slightest bit of common sense would realise that a section reserved for Disabled People might be in need of Wheelchair Access.

Apparently the case is being put to the Highways Department (in fairness, our Council does tend to get things done once they've been informed of something).

There is also a case of the Buyology store in town (formerly Hyper Value - much like a Pound Store, but been established much longer). On the whole it's a pretty tacky place, but they did make a Disabled Persons Access Ramp. However, they then had to put a chain across it to prevent anyone from using it due to a Council order that it couldn't be used because it was square onto the road (buses only). I find this rather unfair, as Hyper Value (as it was then) had gone out of their way to provide the ramp, even though they weren't obliged to, but because the access room is limited, being stuck in a corner, with most of the room being taken up with delivery lorry access, there's simply no room to put a laterally positioned ramp. They've even offered to make it a supervised access only, but H&S Rules say no.
Aura

Post by Aura »

According to our local news a lot of disabled people are now shopping on line. The Robert Dyas I mentioned is in Poole, also BHS in Salisbury does have lifts but they are always breaking down the escalators are no good unless they are designed like conveyor belts like The Range has.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The Disability Discrimination Act was amended In 2005

What to do if you cannot access a building or service

It is now a legal requirement for service providers to make adjustments to cater for people with disabilities. This means that owners or managers should make an effort to make their shop, pub or office accessible for people who use a wheelchair. If you are having problems accessing a service or building, you should talk to the manager about the situation and reiterate the legal requirements related to wheelchair access. Disabled independence is a very important matter that should not be shunned.

Wheelchair Access - Disabled Independence

Why should they get away with It Aura?

The law Is there to protect the rights of the disabled. If It were me, I'd write a letter on your friends behalf stating the difficulty of the step at the entrance and the Impossibility for her to get to the floor she wanted. I'd highlight the amended The Disability Discrimination Act 2005 and accuse them of discrimination and take It from there. Your local elected Councilors are always worth contacting... that's what they're elected for.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The question is, though, just what classes as a 'Service Provider'.

The Hyper Value / Buyology I spoke of is a private store. The Pitman Training Centre, where I'm taking my Sage Accounts course is up a long, narrow flight of stairs. There's no way they would be able to provide Disabled Access.
Oscar Namechange

FourPart;1462232 wrote: The question is, though, just what classes as a 'Service Provider'.

The law requires people who provide a public service, as well as private companies

Shops, restaurants and other businesses can now face legal action if they fail to provide access to their premises for the ten million disabled people in Britain.

The Disability Discrimination Act requires all service providers to take "reasonable" steps to ensure that disabled people can use services offered to able-bodied people.

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Do shops provide enough disabled access?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

This is the Buyology store I spoke of. You can see how they've had to chain off the ramp they put in that the Council said they weren't allowed to use.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sou ... a9!6m1!1e1

This is their only entrance, and you can see there isn't much else they can do.
Oscar Namechange

FourPart;1462266 wrote: This is the Buyology store I spoke of. You can see how they've had to chain off the ramp they put in that the Council said they weren't allowed to use.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sou ... a9!6m1!1e1

This is their only entrance, and you can see there isn't much else they can do.

Can they do that ? :-2
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1462267 wrote: Can they do that ? :-2
It seems so, because of it being square on to the road - the claim being that a runaway wheelchair could run into the road.

Personally I would have thought that the obvious solution would be to put a barrier at the end & a slight ramp to the left (coming from the downward direction) which, although going into the lorry access point would be better than nothing. But no. H&S claims that they may be a lorry there blocking escape access in the case of emergency.

The ramp was put there long before any legislation by their own consideration, but now they're not allowed to use or modify it.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I don't think they are allowed to do that, seems like they have wooden chairs blocking the chain. >;(
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Aura;1462278 wrote: I don't think they are allowed to do that, seems like they have wooden chairs blocking the chain. >;(
No, the chairs at the top are merchandise, and before they were told that they weren't allowed to use the ramp, the way was kept entirely clear.

Return to “General Chit Chat”