Make Leicester British

Bryn Mawr

Make Leicester British

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Did anyone else watch the Channel4 program last night and, if so, what did you make of it?
Peter Lake

Make Leicester British

Post by Peter Lake »

A revolting example of car crash tv designed to incite.

Make Leicester British review, Channel 4: 'uncomfortable' - Telegraph
theia

Make Leicester British

Post by theia »

I'm now watching the first half an hour, which I missed last night.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Make Leicester British

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1467237 wrote: Did anyone else watch the Channel4 program last night and, if so, what did you make of it?

I found it thought provoking.

I take most TV with a pinch of salt, it can never reflect what would happen had the cameras not been present.

It can show basic prejudices, and this program did just that in spades, the participants had been carefully selected for the TV.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
theia

Make Leicester British

Post by theia »

What did you think of it, Bryn? I lived in Leicester for a couple of years in the late 80s and again for a year in '95. It sounds as if it may have changed quite significantly since. I remember the Melton Road being mainly an Asian area.

I lived in Oadby in the 80s and in Knighton Park road in '95.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bryn Mawr

Make Leicester British

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Peter Lake;1467238 wrote: A revolting example of car crash tv designed to incite.

Make Leicester British review, Channel 4: 'uncomfortable' - Telegraph

Designed to incite and with a very particular agenda
Bryn Mawr

Make Leicester British

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1467245 wrote: I found it thought provoking.

I take most TV with a pinch of salt, it can never reflect what would happen had the cameras not been present.

It can show basic prejudices, and this program did just that in spades, the participants had been carefully selected for the TV.

That, in my opinion, is the key point - the participants had been very carefully selected and were not representative of the population of Leicester. No representation for the Sikhs, the Afro Caribbeans, the Chinese, etc and the only Muslim in the group was a Somali single mother with four children living on benefits - what of all the Pakistani and Bangladeshi people who have been in the city since the early 60s and have worked all hours after being ki8cked out of Kenya and Uganda with nothing?

Selected, undoubtedly, representative never.
Bryn Mawr

Make Leicester British

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia;1467258 wrote: What did you think of it, Bryn? I lived in Leicester for a couple of years in the late 80s and again for a year in '95. It sounds as if it may have changed quite significantly since. I remember the Melton Road being mainly an Asian area.

I lived in Oadby in the 80s and in Knighton Park road in '95.

Funnily enough I lived in Oadby in the 80s as well - small world :-)

Melton Road is predominantly Hindu and that's not changed much but Leicester as a whole has changed a lot over the past forty years. In the main everyone rubs along pretty well given the rate of change we've seen and the city celebrates all of the major groups - one of the best celebrations each year is the Afro-Caribbean Jamboree on Victoria park

Return to “Societal Issues News”