This Alzheimers disease seems to be getting more common !

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

When some sickness/disease strikes the population, scientists get their acts together and investigate why and how cures can be found. Sometimes they can find answers fairly quickly, but other times they take years of deep investigation and still fail to find a solution.

Alzheimers seems to be on the increase, and I wonder to myself why.

In 1988 my brother and his wife were holidaying in Cornwall and they read in a local newspaper of an incident which happened at a local water treatment plant.

Apparently there was scheduled a delivery of aluminium sulphate to that water company to add in a controlled manner to the water supply which fed quite a large area of habitation. Now this aluminium sulphate had no other purpose than to 'clarify' the drinking water, making it look sparkly and 'clean' and so be more attractive to the consumer.

When the vehicle arrived at this water company, it was quite late and there was nobody around to guide the driver (a relief driver) and instruct him on what he should do with his delivery. He had been delayed on his journey by various unavoidable hold-ups and he felt rather disgruntled that there was nobody waiting for him. He actually had access into the works yard where he knew his 'cargo' would have been off-loaded into various tanks etc. so he decided to off-load his 'cargo' himself into the tanks, not wanting to have to return the following day. He off-loaded 20 tonnes of aluminium sulphate in one unmeasured go ! The water supply from this water treatment company served a nearby town called Camelford - the town where my brother and his wife were staying for a few days.

On the night of the incident there were hundreds of complaints about foul tasting water and South West Water was criticised for not issuing a warning to the public for 3 weeks ! Numerous health problems were reported by local residents, and I remember that my brother and his wife had told us that they had felt rather unwell for two or three days.

Below is a link to a very interesting and enlightening report concerning the use of aluminium sulphate in not just our drinking water, but in many many foodstuffs eaten by both adults and babies. Although the body can reject a certain amount of aluminium sulphate, it would appear that the amounts included in everyday food far outweigh that amount and so the remainder has to find places to settle in the human body, thus building up the quantity of aluminium sulphate that cannot be disposed of.

This causes me to wonder if all this use of aluminium sulphate is at the root of this increase in alzheimers disease. I really wish the powers that be would get their skids on and dip into the coffers to fund a very serious and urgent scientific investigation. But I suppose it's like everything else - it involves spending lots of money, and besides, if they drag their heels, the reduction in human life because of this disease will benefit the coffers won't it ? After all we do have an ageing population which has to have pensions so they can buy food !

Is aluminium really a silent killer? - Telegraph
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

No doubt some of the additives give rise to modern day health problems, and I believe while they focus on single additives, it might very well be a combination of one two or more with anything that on it's own is thought to be safe. Plus all those radio waves,powerful batteries, and such like we carry around these days.

Sorry this Freudian slip tickled my funny bone ..... if they drag their heals,
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I remember some time in the seventies, the question of a link to Aluminum came up, but research never brought out any solid evidence.

We hear more about it, now, but it has been around a long time. Probably the improved health care and diets, leading to longer life-spans means more people live longer. That gives this type of disease longer to present. It actually affects a relative small percentage of the populace, but it is a pretty high profile disease. And being one of the more frightening things for us old farts to think about.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I agree Lars. We are living longer, long enough to have diseases occur that would not if we were already dead! :yh_rotfl

We also have geriatric medicine now, & pay attention to understanding older people's health & deterioration, & diagnose & give names to things that weren't paid attention to before.

I also heard of the aluminium connection years ago & I have my doubts there is any correlation.

Now I'll go hang myself--if I remember to that is. :-5
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

As far as I see it, age related diseases are on the increase because the average human life span is increasing. Back in the day when the "Three Score & Ten" was considered the upper range there would have been fewer cases of Alzheimers simply because fewer people survived long enough to develop it. Then, regardless of what it was called, don't forget it's only relatively recently been given a name. Previously it was just referred as going Ga-Ga, at which point there would be rapid deterioration at an earlier age due to lack of care. It's only our modern technology that draws the suffering out as long as possible in the belief that to preserve life, rather than quality of life to be important above all.

In the U.K. the state retirement age used to be 65 for men & 60 for women. Now it's in the process of being changed to 70 for all - which will, before long, need changing again. A few weeks ago I had a call from someone who was looking to making a career change. He was 85. Certainly in my lifetime it used to be a real rarity for someone to reach their 100th birthday. Something which warranted an automatic telegram from the Queen. Nowadays reaching 100 has become so much the norm that at best you have to apply to Buckingham Palace in order to receive a Birthday Card, to be sent through the post. At the constantly increasing lifespan, how long will it be when they have to raise the State Retirement Age to 100?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1474757 wrote: No doubt some of the additives give rise to modern day health problems, and I believe while they focus on single additives, it might very well be a combination of one two or more with anything that on it's own is thought to be safe. Plus all those radio waves,powerful batteries, and such like we carry around these days.

Sorry this Freudian slip tickled my funny bone

Thanks for drawing my attention to this fault of mine - it is now corrected !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1474776 wrote: As far as I see it, age related diseases are on the increase because the average human life span is increasing. Back in the day when the "Three Score & Ten" was considered the upper range there would have been fewer cases of Alzheimers simply because fewer people survived long enough to develop it. Then, regardless of what it was called, don't forget it's only relatively recently been given a name. Previously it was just referred as going Ga-Ga, at which point there would be rapid deterioration at an earlier age due to lack of care. It's only our modern technology that draws the suffering out as long as possible in the belief that to preserve life, rather than quality of life to be important above all.

In the U.K. the state retirement age used to be 65 for men & 60 for women. Now it's in the process of being changed to 70 for all - which will, before long, need changing again. A few weeks ago I had a call from someone who was looking to making a career change. He was 85. Certainly in my lifetime it used to be a real rarity for someone to reach their 100th birthday. Something which warranted an automatic telegram from the Queen. Nowadays reaching 100 has become so much the norm that at best you have to apply to Buckingham Palace in order to receive a Birthday Card, to be sent through the post. At the constantly increasing lifespan, how long will it be when they have to raise the State Retirement Age to 100?

It appears to be more than that, the proportion of people within given age groups is also increasing.

One study suggests that one in three people dying over the age of sixty five had some form of dementia and that, in places, less than one in five sufferers are on the GP register leading to serious under-reporting :-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 6481,d.d24

Here's an interesting article on the possible effects and on the fall out from Camleford :-

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1474824 wrote: It appears to be more than that, the proportion of people within given age groups is also increasing.

One study suggests that one in three people dying over the age of sixty five had some form of dementia and that, in places, less than one in five sufferers are on the GP register leading to serious under-reporting :-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 6481,d.d24

Here's an interesting article on the possible effects and on the fall out from Camleford :-

The thing to remember is that not all age-related dementia can be attributed to Alzheimer's.

There are a number of people who have some sort of sudden onset dementia, related to trauma events. A neighbor of ours was in an auto accident a year ago. He broke a leg abd hip in the accident, and was in surgery for the hip repair.

When he came out of surgery, he exhibited severe dementia. He has never recovered fully. Before the accident, he was sharp and quick-witted. Played poker and bridge weekly and won more often than not. He read voraciously, and was always ready for a discussion/argument.

Since the accident and surgery, he has been very slow to talk and cannot remember most of his friends' names or what he is doing from hour to hour.

Exactly like the generally understood effects of Alzheimers.

There are still too many things we don't know about dementia and Alzheimers.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am wondering if perhaps it isn't due to the rapidly increasing group of seniors over the age of 70. Good medicine has let many of us get to that post 70 age, but along with it the possibility of Dementia & Alzheimers.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Lon;1474854 wrote: I am wondering if perhaps it isn't due to the rapidly increasing group of seniors over the age of 70. Good medicine has let many of us get to that post 70 age, but along with it the possibility of Dementia & Alzheimers.
My point exactly. The aging process is hard coded into our DNA from the moment of conception. After a certain age degradation is inevitable. Once exceeding that age becomes the norm, than so do the advanced levels of degradation associated with it. The physical state is one thing. The mental state is entirely another.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Do we honestly believe that the production and in-proximity usage of radioactive material, mercury, and asbestos (buried beneath homes and the shopping centre) do not affect us?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1474848 wrote: The thing to remember is that not all age-related dementia can be attributed to Alzheimer's.

There are a number of people who have some sort of sudden onset dementia, related to trauma events. A neighbor of ours was in an auto accident a year ago. He broke a leg abd hip in the accident, and was in surgery for the hip repair.

When he came out of surgery, he exhibited severe dementia. He has never recovered fully. Before the accident, he was sharp and quick-witted. Played poker and bridge weekly and won more often than not. He read voraciously, and was always ready for a discussion/argument.

Since the accident and surgery, he has been very slow to talk and cannot remember most of his friends' names or what he is doing from hour to hour.

Exactly like the generally understood effects of Alzheimers.

There are still too many things we don't know about dementia and Alzheimers.

I recognise that, I just couldn't find the stats isolating Alzheimers :-)

I think that the trend is pretty much the same though.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1474954 wrote: I recognise that, I just couldn't find the stats isolating Alzheimers :-)

I think that the trend is pretty much the same though.

Yep. Dementia, by whatever cause is pretty frightening.

I know that I often forget peoples' names, and often lose a word I was about to use.

I think it is just that I got so much stuff crammed in my brain that some of it just falls out, now and again.

I can generally keep track of all the technical goobledegook I need for work, so I must be OK.

Still, it give me cause to fret on occasion.

I've already told my wife to that if I end up forgetting her, she should just drop me off on the side of the road, where she found me and I'll be fine.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I find it funny how the mind works sometimes. At work I need to book in 100s of people every day for appointments with our advisers with each call having a target time of 2 mins. More often than not when I take the call the JCP adviser with identify themselves & (Ususally) where they are & then go off to explain every little detail it is that the client needs. At this point my mind just switches off while I find the diary for that particular JCP. Once found I tell them when the next available appointment is & negotiate a time, etc. Then I have to go throught the standardised questions... Mandated? Clients Name? Contact No.? Reason for Appt? Referring Adviser? followed by putting in my initials & time & date appointment made. The problem is that by the time I get to putting in the Reason for the Appt & the Adviser's Name it's totally gone out of my head, depite their having told it to me only a minute ago, so I always have to ask it again, rather than stopping to think "Damn, I know she told me her name. Now what was it again...?".

Mind you, it comes as a breath of fresh air when we get the ones that although they come across as terse, and even rude, they have all the info required ready & waiting in the order required. These are the ones we get to remember their names & never need to ask them. It's that trigger to the brain. These are also the ones we can get the calls done in 1:30 or less.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I found this video to be informative.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Ahso!;1475224 wrote: I found this video to be informative.

I'm only a couple weeks from my 68th. birthday and I wish I hadn't seen your link.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

High Threshold;1475225 wrote: I'm only a couple weeks from my 68th. birthday and I wish I hadn't seen your link.You might not be one of the 10

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Ahso!;1475226 wrote: You might not be one of the 10

If 1000 people drive cross the bridge without event, it'll collapse once I set foot upon it.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Have you been exhibiting any signs of Alzheimer's?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Ahso!;1475243 wrote: Have you been exhibiting any signs of Alzheimer's?
No, but I did lose my balance yesterday, crushed the plastic coffee filter "holder" in my hand, causing lacerations to 3 fingers, and hit my head on the pavement. All I did was lift my foot over one of those short, concrete parking lot partition things and next thing I knew the earth came rushing at me. I have always had difficulties remember certain names like .... uh ... I forgot what it is called now, and I can't find words or correct spelling of them when I'm having a migraine head-ache, although I almost never get migraine head-aches any longer. No, I don't think that I'm experiencing any symptoms but I guess if I were I wouldn't even know it.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

At least there might be a medical reason for your behavior.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

High Threshold;1475265 wrote: No, but I did lose my balance yesterday, crushed the plastic coffee filter "holder" in my hand, causing lacerations to 3 fingers, and hit my head on the pavement. All I did was lift my foot over one of those short, concrete parking lot partition things and next thing I knew the earth came rushing at me. I have always had difficulties remember certain names like .... uh ... I forgot what it is called now, and I can't find words or correct spelling of them when I'm having a migraine head-ache, although I almost never get migraine head-aches any longer. No, I don't think that I'm experiencing any symptoms but I guess if I were I wouldn't even know it.

I have spent a lifetime having trouble remembering names, it's insulting to let somebody think they are forgettable, but it extends to my own kids and grand children, calling them a series of names before happening across the right one.........it is a joke now, but is it funny ? I am however wary of people that you meet once and can recall your name years afterward........that is a bit.......creepy.

I am able to recognise a large amount of records from years ago within a few beats of the introduction.........and that too is .......creepy.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bruv;1475306 wrote: I have spent a lifetime having trouble remembering names, it's insulting to let somebody think they are forgettable, but it extends to my own kids and grand children, calling them a series of names before happening across the right one.........it is a joke now, but is it funny ? I am however wary of people that you meet once and can recall your name years afterward........that is a bit.......creepy.

I am able to recognise a large amount of records from years ago within a few beats of the introduction.........and that too is .......creepy.

You've pretty much describe me perfectly! I too get worried about people who remember my name so easily. After several years abroad in Africa, Asia, Australia, and north America I returned home and promptly went to job services to find employment. The guy at the desk greeted me and asked if I still lived on Engelbrektsgatan! He not only remembered my name but even the address and number I had so many years before! I don't think he's human! But yes, just the first few notes of a recording from the late 50's and all through the 60's and I'm right on queue with the melody, lyrics and the background instrumental.

What's wrong with us?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Interesting study

Gout linked to lower chances of developing Alzheimer's disease | Science Codex

Gout appears to have a protective effect for the brain, possibly thanks to uric acid, the chemical in a person's blood that can crystallize, leading to gout, said a team of researchers from north America.

Gout, the most common inflammatory arthritis, is linked to a higher risk of heart and kidney problems and their resulting health issues, but previous studies have theorised that the antioxidant properties of uric acid may protect against the development or progression of neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson's disease (PD).

Researchers led by the Division of Rheumatology, Allergy, and Immunology at Massachusetts General Hospital, and at Boston University Medical Center, in Boston, USA, set out to evaluate the potential impact of gout on the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease (AD) amongst the general population.

So check your feet; are they scaly and itchy (mine are)? That could be a sign of resistance against Alzheimer's.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1475306 wrote: I have spent a lifetime having trouble remembering names, it's insulting to let somebody think they are forgettable, but it extends to my own kids and grand children, calling them a series of names before happening across the right one.........it is a joke now, but is it funny ? I am however wary of people that you meet once and can recall your name years afterward........that is a bit.......creepy.

I am able to recognise a large amount of records from years ago within a few beats of the introduction.........and that too is .......creepy.My mothers was very much like this as well. She lived to 93 years of age and was quite lucid until her death

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Ahso!;1475346 wrote: ..... So check your feet; are they scaly and itchy .... ? That could be a sign of resistance against Alzheimer's.
I want scaly and itchy feet. How can I get it?

Ahso!;1475346 wrote: My mothers was very much like this as well. She lived to 93 years of age and was quite lucid until her death.
That's good news for all of us.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1475352 wrote: I want scaly and itchy feet. How can I get it?

Run around barefoot.

(You can pay me for the consultation later).
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1475513 wrote: Run around barefoot.

(You can pay me for the consultation later).

Funny. That's the same thing Zola Budd said to me.

Return to “Health Wellness”