Back to School!

Saint_

Back to School!

Post by Saint_ »

Time for me to go begin school again. It's the first day. I usually dress up in my thousand dollar Ralph Lauren suit because I believe first impressions are very important for children. There's nothing like the bright-eyed, stiff-backed faces of a new class to reinvigoarate me after a month off! (I taught Summer School.)

I'll be posting more now, since I'll be at the computer before school, after school and between classes. I'm teaching Algebra II, (basically Pre-Calculus now!) and Geometry in Day School, then I'm heading up the After School Program from 3:30 to 5:00, then I move to Night School until 7:00 pm. I'm a teaching fool! :)

So what memories do you have of the first day of school? Or are any of your kids heading out this week?
LarsMac

Back to School!

Post by LarsMac »

I remember the first day in Second grade. The first day of school ended early because we had flash floods and we all got very wet. The school was closed for a week to clean all the mud and debris out of the classrooms. Several if us went to the school the day after the floods. Only one kid was taller that the high water mark on the walls. It was all quite fascinating.

That is the sum total of my memories of second grade.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Back to School!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Not infants or juniors but I do remember the first day at secondary school.

I remember walking up to the school building not knowing where to go and being very upset because my bestest friend was too ill to come with me.

I'd walked past the building every school day for years as my junior school was another half mile down the road but seeing the outside and venturing inside we two totally different things.
Saint_

Back to School!

Post by Saint_ »

Bryn Mawr;1484354 wrote:

I remember walking up to the school building not knowing where to go and being very upset

It's funny you should say that. Last year, our new counselor did not have a system to give the kids schedules, she just put them out for the kids who naturally rifled through making a complete mess of things. I even got to my first class late because of that and I believe that first day impressions are incredibly important, so this year, I asked her if I could help. We made a system where the student comes in, finds their name on a list that has the name of their first hour teacher. They student goes there and that teacher has their schedule for the rest of the day. Simple!

It was so smooth and nice, I was amazed.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Back to School!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Saint_;1484356 wrote: It's funny you should say that. Last year, our new counselor did not have a system to give the kids schedules, she just put them out for the kids who naturally rifled through making a complete mess of things. I even got to my first class late because of that and I believe that first day impressions are incredibly important, so this year, I asked her if I could help. We made a system where the student comes in, finds their name on a list that has the name of their first hour teacher. They student goes there and that teacher has their schedule for the rest of the day. Simple!

It was so smooth and nice, I was amazed.

It would have helped enormously :-)
Wandrin

Back to School!

Post by Wandrin »

I remember having moved to a new town over the summer and not knowing very many people when it was time for the first day of school. My mother showed me where the school was on a map and sent me off. The school was huge. It was much bigger than any school I had ever attended. I went in what I thought was the front door (it wasn't) and there were no hints at all where I should be going. All of a sudden there were what seemed like hundreds of kids coming in the opposite direction. When I tried to ask directions they just laughed. I kept going until I found what looked like the big front entrance and there were very clear markings as to what direction to head for my grade level.

Looking back on it, all these years later, the year didn't get much better than the way it started. It was a very cliquish school.
LarsMac

Back to School!

Post by LarsMac »

For years, every year was a first day at a new school. We moved around a lot.

I was always the new kid in class, and that is not always a good thing, particularly if you are a introvert by nature.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Back to School!

Post by Saint_ »

LarsMac;1484382 wrote: For years, every year was a first day at a new school. We moved around a lot.

I was always the new kid in class, and that is not always a good thing, particularly if you are a introvert by nature.

I emphasize with both of you guys Wandrin and LarMac. My parents moved quite a bit as well, but I have a theory that it tends to make a young person both more accepting of change and more resilient to it.

At least that's what I tell myself....
Wandrin

Back to School!

Post by Wandrin »

I think that the best experience I had when going to a new school on the first day of school was in 7th grade. I walked in the front door and they had a big exhibit of science fair projects the kids had done the previous year. I was looking at them and thinking, "this could be fun".
tude dog

Back to School!

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1484339 wrote: Time for me to go begin school again. It's the first day. I usually dress up in my thousand dollar Ralph Lauren suit because I believe first impressions are very important for children. There's nothing like the bright-eyed, stiff-backed faces of a new class to reinvigoarate me after a month off! (I taught Summer School.)

I'll be posting more now, since I'll be at the computer before school, after school and between classes. I'm teaching Algebra II, (basically Pre-Calculus now!) and Geometry in Day School, then I'm heading up the After School Program from 3:30 to 5:00, then I move to Night School until 7:00 pm. I'm a teaching fool! :)

So what memories do you have of the first day of school? Or are any of your kids heading out this week?

I don't have any memories of a first day.

Gotta consider between K-12 I went to like nine different schools, I remember them all.

It was an interesting experince.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
chonsigirl

Back to School!

Post by chonsigirl »

School is always grand, students come in Monday. :)

Return to “Current Events”