Two planes down in one day

spot

Post by spot »

A Hawker Hunter - a beautiful plane which should on no account be dropped - seems to have been ridden into the ground at Shoreham Airshow after an aerobatic loop, at which point it ploughed across a very crowded A27. The pilot may be the luckiest man on the planet if reports of his reaching hospital alive are correct.

Shoreham plane crash: Seven dead after Hawker Hunter hits cars - BBC News
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

What a terrible incident ! I would have thought that if the pilot was still in the aircraft when it crashed, it is doubtful that he will survive. Apparently an eye witness said that he didn't see a parachute so it looks as if the poor guy was still in the plane. At best I would imagine that he would be terribly burned and no doubt have many broken bones.

I have a sister-in-law who lives a few miles away from Shoreham and the A27 runs through her village !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

The Pilot is in a bad way HERE
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

I think I have two comments I want to make, so far.

One is that I am repelled by David Cameron taking opportunities like this to get his name into the papers with his faux-news "I offer my condolences" press releases. The man is not the Queen, it is not his job and I seriously doubt the truth of the message anyhow. It's knee-jerk me-too, it's unsavoury and it's in bad taste.

The other is that vintage planes are too valuable a part of history to be flung around the skies like this. If someone's going to perform aerobatics they should do it in a suitable plane, which isn't a sixty-year-old endangered species better suited to display in a museum and flown gently once a decade. I am, quite honestly, more annoyed at the loss of this aircraft than I am at the mayhem on the ground. If I'm to regret loss of life I'll look first to the spectacularly more extensive daily carnage in the Middle East, not the A27, simply on the grounds of scale and responsibility.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I had better consider the previous post overnight before I open my mouth.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

spot;1484621 wrote: I think I have two comments I want to make, so far.

One is that I am repelled by David Cameron taking opportunities like this to get his name into the papers with his faux-news "I offer my condolences" press releases. The man is not the Queen, it is not his job and I seriously doubt the truth of the message anyhow. It's knee-jerk me-too, it's unsavoury and it's in bad taste.

The other is that vintage planes are too valuable a part of history to be flung around the skies like this. If someone's going to perform aerobatics they should do it in a suitable plane, which isn't a sixty-year-old endangered species better suited to display in a museum and flown gently once a decade. I am, quite honestly, more annoyed at the loss of this aircraft than I am at the mayhem on the ground. If I'm to regret loss of life I'll look first to the spectacularly more extensive daily carnage in the Middle East, not the A27, simply on the grounds of scale and responsibility.

The only thing I would deplore is the apparent lack of compassion your post shows to the innocent travellers caught up in the fireball. Imagine burning to death in your vehicle. Not a pleasant end! Yet you praise the general public for rescuing the pilot who came down at Sandown. Rather contrary, IMO. A plane is only a plane, when all's said and done, even if it is rare.

Just about any tragedy, when compared to the loss of life in the Middle East, will be 'small potatoes' in comparison.

For the record, I'm annoyed at the loss of the Hunter too, especially as this accident was totally avoidable! I am a keen aviation enthusiast with flying experience in several types of aircraft, including 8 hours logged as pilot under instruction (Not much, but my instructor was an ex RAF Spitfire pilot from WW2. 8 hours with him was worth at least 20 with virtually any other instructor, judging from the rapid progress I made in comparison with other trainees) . Apart from your apparent lack of compassion for those caught up in the fireball, I totally agree with you on the other counts, Spot.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

Regarding death, we seem to have at least two classes under discussion.

Firstly there are those which come out of the blue. These on the A27 are like that, just as the Glasgow Bin Lorry deaths are, even if in either case a causal link can be established subsequently to a human lack of caution or common sense.

The other class, instanced in the Middle East, are the inevitable deaths which stem from a deliberate policy, which are predictable in the mass even if not predictable in terms of who dies and who survives.

Those predictable deaths stemming from deliberate policy I find utterly outrageous and unacceptable, and I demand an accounting throughout the entire chain of command. They are intended. The A27 and bin lorry deaths are not intended. Therein lies the difference in my response. One evokes outrage, the other evokes sympathy.

My final point is that I consider it a moral imperative to publicly express the outrage, because subsequent outrage can be and should be prevented thereby. I would, in contrast, regard myself as both insensitive and intrusive were I to publicly, indirectly and impersonally express the sympathy - as I said, it would be "knee-jerk me-too, unsavoury and in bad taste" - or, to pick the first available Internet definition, "disagreeable and unpleasant because morally disreputable".

Nobody seems the slightest bit concerned that David Cameron deliberately chooses to kill people, but we're meant to applaud his self-serving announcement that he claims delicate sensibility after an air crash? I think not.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1484621 wrote: I am, quite honestly, more annoyed at the loss of this aircraft than I am at the mayhem on the ground. If I'm to regret loss of life I'll look first to the spectacularly more extensive daily carnage in the Middle East, not the A27, simply on the grounds of scale and responsibility.

I have an image of Spot at a funeral offering condolences to the family of the deceased as they exit a building after the burial/cremation, he only expresses regret to the first five family members due to compassion having a limit, he is saving the remainder of his for other more deserving cases such as a broken vintage airplane.

I have made a highly caricatured version of the content purely for effect.

And "Regarding death" there is only one class, there are different ways to die, perhaps that is what you meant ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1484638 wrote: And "Regarding death" there is only one class, there are different ways to die, perhaps that is what you meant ? Definitely. Some ways are blameworthy, others are the luck of the draw. Having an exploding plane land on you is as random as being hit by a meteorite, nobody sat in a meeting deliberately concocting a policy which would inevitably lead to deaths and to which you consequently became a victim. Some deaths should generate anger, others should generate sympathy - I'd call that classification even if you don't.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1484640 wrote: Definitely. Some ways are blameworthy, others are the luck of the draw. Having an exploding plane land on you is as random as being hit by a meteorite, nobody sat in a meeting deliberately concocting a policy which would inevitably lead to deaths and to which you consequently became a victim. Some deaths should generate anger, others should generate sympathy - I'd call that classification even if you don't.

A tragic accident happened in the UK causing at least 7 deaths.

How do the political events in the middle east come into it ?
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1484641 wrote: A tragic accident happened in the UK causing at least 7 deaths.

How do the political events in the middle east come into it ?
They don't at all. What I was discussing was how I would react in each case.

There's a paragraph you perhaps didn't see relating to the A27 deaths, let me find it...

I would regard myself as both insensitive and intrusive were I to publicly, indirectly and impersonally express sympathy - as I said, it would be "knee-jerk me-too, unsavoury and in bad taste" - or, to pick the first available Internet definition, "disagreeable and unpleasant because morally disreputable".

I hope that helps.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

spot;1484635 wrote: Regarding death, we seem to have at least two classes under discussion.

Firstly there are those which come out of the blue. These on the A27 are like that, just as the Glasgow Bin Lorry deaths are, even if in either case a causal link can be established subsequently to a human lack of caution or common sense.

The other class, instanced in the Middle East, are the inevitable deaths which stem from a deliberate policy, which are predictable in the mass even if not predictable in terms of who dies and who survives.

Those predictable deaths stemming from deliberate policy I find utterly outrageous and unacceptable, and I demand an accounting throughout the entire chain of command. They are intended. The A27 and bin lorry deaths are not intended. Therein lies the difference in my response. One evokes outrage, the other evokes sympathy.

My final point is that I consider it a moral imperative to publicly express the outrage, because subsequent outrage can be and should be prevented thereby. I would, in contrast, regard myself as both insensitive and intrusive were I to publicly, indirectly and impersonally express the sympathy - as I said, it would be "knee-jerk me-too, unsavoury and in bad taste" - or, to pick the first available Internet definition, "disagreeable and unpleasant because morally disreputable".

Nobody seems the slightest bit concerned that David Cameron deliberately chooses to kill people, but we're meant to applaud his self-serving announcement that he claims delicate sensibility after an air crash? I think not.

Our sickening politicians never miss an opportunity to get their PR shots in, do they? It totally repulses me how they 'make capital' out of just about anything newsworthy, no matter how distasteful or inappropriate.

You stated:

Those predictable deaths stemming from deliberate policy I find utterly outrageous and unacceptable, and I demand an accounting throughout the entire chain of command.

Couldn't agree more, Spot! I would like to see them facing a court of enquiry, charged with some form of 'war crime(s)', especially Bliar and his cohorts of that time. The main trouble with the idiots in Parliament is that their policies will have to be paid for.....By us!

I loath them all with a passion, I can tell you!!

As for expressing the outrage most of us feel, maybe it's time for some mass-demonstrations? It is our right to demonstrate if we feel that we are being ignored or abused.

Us Brits need to take a leaf from the French pickets and strikes/demonstrations,IMO. They nearly always manage to make THEIR government back down by dint of the scale of the disruption, and by tenacity of purpose.

I would also add that my 'temperature gauge' is nearly 'in the red' as regards the mealy-mouthed, self-serving, gold-digging, congenital liars and fraudsters that we keep electing to the halls of power here!!!!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Apparently (to get back to the original subject), there are now 11 dead, and that may still increase. The pilot is critically injured, but seems to be hanging on and fighting for his life. Hopefully he will survive and be able to help with the investigation.

An eye-witness did say that the plane appeared to split before impact, and that would indicate possible metal fatigue. Again a good reason for not putting these old planes through such stressful activities. I really don't understand why this is permitted. Surely it is obvious that metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability ?
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1484660 wrote: Surely it is obvious that metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability ?
I'll not be taking the train to Scotland again in a hurry then.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1484661 wrote: I'll not be taking the train to Scotland again in a hurry then.

But trains do not necessarily get put through the same sort of pressures that an aircraft is put through when it performs various 'stunts' at high speed in the sky, do they ?
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1484662 wrote: But trains do not necessarily get put through the same sort of pressures that an aircraft is put through when it performs various 'stunts' at high speed in the sky, do they ?The Inverness Sleeper weighs eight hundred tons and goes round corners at 125 miles an hour on rails still bearing on their undersides the dottle of Victorian Navvies, at least if you can hear the tiddley-pom tiddley-pom sound from the wheels.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1484666 wrote: The Inverness Sleeper weighs eight hundred tons and goes round corners at 125 miles an hour on rails still bearing on their undersides the dottle of Victorian Navvies, at least if you can hear the tiddley-pom tiddley-pom sound from the wheels.

Built solidly to last forever rather that built as light as possible (read "as thin as possible") to increase range and manoeuvrability - not really comparable.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1484674 wrote: Built solidly to last forever rather that built as light as possible (read "as thin as possible") to increase range and manoeuvrability - not really comparable.

We started with "metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability", if you remember.

I'm just laying out text (page 75 of 353) which I OCR'd yesterday - it's another book, for my sins. It's a long time since I last did one. That's my excuse for seeming twitchy.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1484675 wrote: We started with "metal that is 50 years old will have lost a lot of it's durability", if you remember.

I'm just laying out text (page 75 of 353) which I OCR'd yesterday - it's another book, for my sins. It's a long time since I last did one. That's my excuse for seeming twitchy.

Metal, built as light and as thin as possible (and probably of aluminium to boot) that is fifty years old will, in all likelihood, have lost a lot of its durability.

It's only if you take it as a statement out of context and therefore covering the general case does your example become relevant.

I've had a bad day too :-p
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1484675 wrote: That's my excuse for seeming twitchy.
Seeming ?

Bryn Mawr;1484677 wrote: I've had a bad day too
Hope you are not going to make mine worse
spot

Post by spot »

Bah. Context.

A statement's a statement.

Don't talk to me about context.
spot

Post by spot »

Shoreham air crash: Pilot Andy Hill in court over 11 deaths - BBC News

Not before time either.
spot

Post by spot »

Here we are - trial set for January next year.

Shoreham air crash: Pilot Andy Hill denies manslaughter of 11 men - BBC News
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

It was pretty horrific. I haven't gone back over the thread (or the case) but iirc it was pure pilot error, not malfunction of the plane or error on the part of the organisers. I'm sure he intended no ill but he certainly caused it and what else should he be charged with?

I'm not sure there are offences in the air such as we have for driving - due care and attention, that sort of thing. Under the circumstances though manslaughter seems reasonable.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Re: Two planes down in one day

Post by spot »

Clodhopper wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 am It was pretty horrific. I haven't gone back over the thread (or the case) but iirc it was pure pilot error, not malfunction of the plane or error on the part of the organisers. I'm sure he intended no ill but he certainly caused it and what else should he be charged with?

I'm not sure there are offences in the air such as we have for driving - due care and attention, that sort of thing. Under the circumstances though manslaughter seems reasonable.
I note the coroner agrees with you. How Andy Hill was found not guilty at the original trial leaves me both annoyed and baffled.
Eleven men who died after a Hawker Hunter aircraft crashed on to a motorway during an aerial display at the 2015 Shoreham airshow in West Sussex were unlawfully killed, a coroner has ruled.

At the conclusion of an inquest seven years after the incident, in which 13 other people were injured, senior coroner Penelope Schofield said that 11 lives had been “cruelly lost” and that it was clear that the aircraft’s pilot should have abandoned a manoeuvre he was undertaking.

Delivering her narrative verdict at County Hall North in Horsham, West Sussex, she said: “It has been a long journey, some seven years for you, to get the answers you wanted. It has been a difficult journey getting to this stage. I hope you feel that, through these proceedings, you now have a voice.”

She said that although she recorded a narrative verdict of unlawful killing, that did not “detract from the fact” that a criminal court had acquitted the pilot, Andrew Hill, who was also injured. Hill was charged with 11 counts of manslaughter by gross negligence but found not guilty on all counts in March 2019. He maintains he has no recollection of the crash and claimed he experienced “cognitive impairment” while at the controls, brought on by hypoxia possibly due to G-force.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... oner-rules

Return to “Current Events”